Value of: Getzlaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Getzlaf is 35 heading into his last year of his contract and has trended to 50-60 pts in the last few years.

1) What are the Ducks plans with Getzlaf? Keep him for a rebuild or trade him for futures?

2) Would Getzlaf be open to being traded? He has a NMC

As a Habs fan, I am wondering about if we get Lafreneire. If that happens, I've been at war with some Habs fans about weather or not we need to find a physical/mature center for Lafreniere to play wither where he can be mentored and sheltered by a vet at 1C. I don't believe Suzuki or Kotkaniemi are ready and I rather keep Danault with Tatar and Gallagher.

If the Ducks and Getzlaf are open to it... Are you offended or is the offer solid?

- Getzlaf
* With 1 or 2 year extension in place
* With retention down to $6.5M for next season
for
- Habs 2021 1st (Lottery protection)
- Poehling
- Mete

If you ask for any one of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Caufield... we are out and it's a quick phone call.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ducks view him as a solid mentor to the young developing C's on the team.
He will re-sign with them and ride out his career like Jumbo Joe.

Don't see him leaving Sunny Anaheim for the big market in Montreal.
In theory it makes sense but in reality, he likely has one team he would actually waive for but otherwise he's a Duck for life.

As for the offer in OP, its probably good value but Ducks would likely want some picks in 2020, one or two of the 2nds you have over a guy like Mete.

Two 2020 2nds + 2021 1st.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As a neutral fan, I think it's a solid offer. With that said, I don't see any reason why Getzlaf would accept a trade. He's already won a Cup and doesn't really have anything left to prove, and all reports indicate his family is very happy in Anaheim. I think he retires a Duck, the only question is when.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure if Getz wants to leave or not, but his wife won't let him leave So Cal. Us spoiled Californians don't do well when it gets below 65.

I'm curious to see if he finishes that contract with the Ducks and where he signs next. His wife is from California I'm assuming?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm curious to see if he finishes that contract with the Ducks and where he signs next. His wife is from California I'm assuming?

Wife is from California and the family is DEEPLY ingrained in the OC community. After the current contract, I think he will get the Joe Thornton treatment if Getzlaf wants it (though Thornton is chasing his first cup which I think is why he's hung on). Getz is a franchise icon and I think there's a place for him in Anaheim as long as he wants to stay (at a reasonable reduced salary)

The only way I see Getzlaf leaving is: (i) he gets tired of losing; or (ii) in 2020-21, he gets dealt at the deadline to chase another cup for a few months. Getz has said he wants to retire having spent his entire career with one team (old school), so I think this is very unlikely.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
As a neutral fan, I think it's a solid offer. With that said, I don't see any reason why Getzlaf would accept a trade. He's already won a Cup and doesn't really have anything left to prove, and all reports indicate his family is very happy in Anaheim. I think he retires a Duck, the only question is when.
I think he plays til he's 38, possibly 39, which is 3-4 seasons. 35 vs. 39 yr.old legs is a huge difference.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Getzlaf is 35 heading into his last year of his contract and has trended to 50-60 pts in the last few years.

1) What are the Ducks plans with Getzlaf? Keep him for a rebuild or trade him for futures?

2) Would Getzlaf be open to being traded? He has a NMC

As a Habs fan, I am wondering about if we get Lafreneire. If that happens, I've been at war with some Habs fans about weather or not we need to find a physical/mature center for Lafreniere to play wither where he can be mentored and sheltered by a vet at 1C. I don't believe Suzuki or Kotkaniemi are ready and I rather keep Danault with Tatar and Gallagher.

If the Ducks and Getzlaf are open to it... Are you offended or is the offer solid?

- Getzlaf
* With 1 or 2 year extension in place
* With retention down to $6.5M for next season
for
- Habs 2021 1st (Lottery protection)
- Poehling
- Mete

If you ask for any one of Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Caufield... we are out and it's a quick phone call.

Getlaf isn't worth giving up future assets for if you're Montreal...

He's simply not a big enough difference maker to push them into contention, coupled with the fact that they could simply sign him next summer, and it would be a foolish deal to make from Montreal's perspective, IMO

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
With Montreal's aging core I can see the logic of pushing to compete now but I don't know why they wouldn't target at least a little younger than Getzlaf.

Getzlaf seems more like a deadline target for contenders if he was going to move.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With Montreal's aging core I can see the logic of pushing to compete now but I don't know why they wouldn't target at least a little younger than Getzlaf.

Getzlaf seems more like a deadline target for contenders if he was going to move.

Montreal is not that old. Bruins and Pens are older bud

moegillknee

Jul 30, 2016
If Habs win lottery they should entertain the idea of converting Lafreniere to centre position.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe the big guy, being from a hotbed of hockey, would like to experience playing his last years in a hotbed of hockey?

As a UFA rental? For sure he will consider that. He could ask his wife and family to be away for a few months and then sign back with the Ducks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs want a center they should target Kopitar.

Brought that up on the Habs boards and got beat up cause I mentioned trading Kotkaniemi :facepalm:

Personally, if we got Lafreniere, I would be after centers like Kopitar, Toews, or Getzlaf... if they were available. Some Habs fans think we will be better in 4+ years without our vets like Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, Tatar cause we have a top 5 prospect pool today. What they don't realize is the Sabres are struggling with Eichel and Dahlin and they are missing vets like we have.

Keep the Danault line in place. Then play Suzuki on the 3rd line. Find someone like Kopitar, Toews, or Getzlaf to play with Lafreniere. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are not ready to play 1C with Lafreniere. I keep telling them this

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Brought that up on the Habs boards and got beat up cause I mentioned trading Kotkaniemi :facepalm:

Personally, if we got Lafreniere, I would be after centers like Kopitar, Toews, or Getzlaf... if they were available. Some Habs fans think we will be better in 4+ years without our vets like Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, Tatar cause we have a top 5 prospect pool today. What they don't realize is the Sabres are struggling with Eichel and Dahlin and they are missing vets like we have.

Keep the Danault line in place. Then play Suzuki on the 3rd line. Find someone like Kopitar, Toews, or Getzlaf to play with Lafreniere. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are not ready to play 1C with Lafreniere. I keep telling them this
I have no idea if Toews would be willing to waive but if the offer was fair I'd listen if I was Bowman. Idk if they're quite ready to hand the reigns of the top 3 C positions to Dach/Strome/Kurashev though. If they moved Toews it would solve their cap issues with only one move that returns value.

I think it's more likely the Hawks move Strome than Toews though. Strome is 23, you guys interested? Don't look at Strome's numbers this year, as he got jerked around a bit(Colliton tried him at wing and it was a disaster, he went back to center and took off immediately) and was highly productive when a) playing center and b) not injured. An ankle injury to a guy who's a borderline average skater when healthy is a killer. If you're going to trade for Strome and try to make him a winger it's a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad