Getzlaf vs Matthews

Better player right now

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So I guess it would be easier comparing to Nylander instead of Hyman?

Getzlaf's best linemate = Rakell
Matthews best linemate = Nylander

Getzlaf's 2nd best linemate = Perry
Matthews 2nd best linemate = Hyman

Was is that difficult to understand the comparison or were you too busy playing victim?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No, those others are foolish too then.

Nothing to do with the player. Solely to do with using +/- as a measure of ones defensive ability is ridiculous and shows lack of knowledge.

Exactly you have to look at it with respect to the teams overall +/- or goal differentials.

You also need to consider usage, matchups, and situational GF/GA.

For example, a team that is lower in the standings is more likely to trail in games, thus more likely to give up a greater number of empty net goals. These late game empty net situations typically involve the trailing teams best players. More often than not the trailing team gives up a goal than gets one.

Another example, a team with a poor or negative goal differential is generally more likely to rely on their best players facing the other teams best line defensively. An example of a different situation would be a top team line matching their shutdown 2nd line against top competition when that luxury exists.

In summary, +/- can be useful but more so to compare players on the same team. Comparing players on different teams with different personnel and different ability to deploy their players in certain situations makes it difficult to accurately assess players on different teams head to head. Especially when taken in isolation.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Get
Give me Matthews. Scoring is about even but he gets way more goals and is a very complete player.
Getzlaf is better defensively. A premier shutdown player. Just watching him last night vs Edmonton hes an easy player to hate cause he makes the team youre cheering for become so frustrating to watch.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think that anyone who is attacking the two way play of either guy is completely oblivious. Getzlaf is an elite #1C at age 33 and can play the matchup game or dominate offensively. He's an elite elite player and I consider it to be an absolute honour and testament to Matthews' abilities that he's already being compared to Getzlaf. Wow.

Matthews is already excellent defensively as well. Let's be serious here, neither of our guys are Barkov or Bergeron, but they're both more than decent defensively. These guys take over the games with their offense.

If I had to vote in this poll, I'd just vote for my guy, but I'm going to abstain out of sheer respect for Getzlaf. I think once their careers are done Matthews will probably have the better numbers due to his goalscoring and the level that he's reached as a sophomore, but Getzlaf has been a ppg player for 10 of the last 11 years. He's unreal and anyone who speaks ill of him should go take a hike.

I won't quote it, but that post saying that anyone voting Matthews is an "absolute homer" should also take a hike. Matthews is the real deal and it's time to get with the program.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
The scoring is not about even.

It's a 90 point pace to about a 75 point pace.

Getzlaf is also a very complete player.
Matthews was scoring at a 90 point pace 20-30 games into this season too.. Getzlaf hasn't been a ppg center in the past 4 years. He's been close, but suggesting he's a 90 point player based on his first 30 games and suggesting that theres a big discrepancy in their respective production is rather silly.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If it is for one playoff and this season, it can only be one logic pick, Getzlaf, he is a monster.
If Im gonna load up for 5 seasons going forward, it is Matthews.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Matthews was scoring at a 90 point pace 20-30 games into this season too.. Getzlaf hasn't been a ppg center in the past 4 years. He's been close, but suggesting he's a 90 point player based on his first 30 games and suggesting that theres a big discrepancy in their respective production is rather silly.

At the 32 game mark for Matthews(which is where Getzlaf currently is), was at exactly a PPG pace.

I don't like the pace argument for exactly this reason, but Matthews had inflated numbers due to a ridiculously high shooting percentage. It was something like 30% for a time, and 20% for a fair bit longer. Since late November he has something like, I believe, 23 points in 29 games. That's a bit below his total pace for last season, by the way. I think some people have allowed his hot start to exaggerate his actual on average production.

That was a ridiculous start, and it will obviously impact his totals for the season when it's all said and done, but he's actually shown no ability to sustain a PPG level at this stage in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
TSN, based in Toronto, get real........ It was a homerish vote if anything.....
NHL Rookie Auston Matthews who scores 40 goals, broke the Leafs rookie goal scoring record, American NHL records, lead the league in 5v5 goals and Calder Trophy winner is ranked 10th on TSN's top 50 and TSN is called biased towards Toronto. How original using the TSN = Toronto Sports Network comment, I have not seen it enough before from jealous fans.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
First off, the maker of this poll voted for Matthews.

Secondly, your point comes across as rather weak after an attempt to manipulate a previous poll when it wasn't going the way you wanted.

I did that did I? Where was I? How did I do this? Did I bribe people?

ROFL. Get a grip lad. I don't give a shit what the poll results are. It doesn't mean anything.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I did that did I? Where was I? How did I do this? Did I bribe people?

ROFL. Get a grip lad. I don't give a **** what the poll results are. It doesn't mean anything.

You don't actually think I was specifying you as an individual, do you?

You clearly care a little, or you wouldn't have made the comment about getting the results someone wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad