Better player right now

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It has to be Getzalf he's better at everything by miles except goal scoring

ONLY goal scoring. Essentially the top skill in the game, lol.

What about faceoffs? Shooting? Staying out of the box? Takeaways? Etc. Etc.

Everything.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Getzlaf had a bigger impact on the ice, especially in the defensive and neutral zones due to his playmaking and iq

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
So what if I did. Others used it to argue it when debating who was better between Kessel and Seguin when Seguin had the better +/-. So because this time it benefited Matthews it's wrong?

No, those others are foolish too then.

Nothing to do with the player. Solely to do with using +/- as a measure of ones defensive ability is ridiculous and shows lack of knowledge.

Reactions: Plural

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
So what if I did. Others used it to argue it when debating who was better between Kessel and Seguin when Seguin had the better +/-. So because this time it benefited Matthews it's wrong?

I don't know. Maybe you should stop playing victim role or whatever in every thread. "But they did it before, was that okay?!? We don't know them and we don't care. It's still a shitty stat

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
The problem with pace when we're a tad over 50 games into the season is that one game can totally change the picture. A 3 point night and Matthews is pacing for about 80 points, a hot stretch of 3 or 4 games and all of a sudden he'd be pacing for around 90.
Until that happens don't act like it has. a 3 point for Getzlaf and he's on pace for 95 points, a hot stretch of 3-4 games and he's on pace for 100 ;)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Getzy is the better set up guy and Matthews scores more goals. But Getzlaf has a wicked shot too, while Matthews can also pass pretty well. Both big and heavy guys and at their best can dominate.

I think Matthews as a young man probably has a bit of an edge in terms of quickness, but Getzy has the experience.

I think it's pretty much a wash to be honest.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
No, those others are foolish too then.

Nothing to do with the player. Solely to do with using +/- as a measure of ones defensive ability is ridiculous and shows lack of knowledge.

+/- usually has little value, but Matthews is currently +23 on a team with 6 other forwards sporting minuses.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know. Maybe you should stop playing victim role or whatever in every thread. "But they did it before, was that okay?!? We don't know them and we don't care. It's still a ****ty stat
I see it as calling out the hypocrisy where it's ok to post it if it goes against a Leafs player and it's not ok to post it if it helps a Leafs player. You can disagree all you want about it being a useless stat, the fact is there are unofficial rules about how Leafs players are judged on here. Look at how everyone loves Phil Kessel and while he was with Toronto he was called fat, out of shape and a lot of other negative things were said about him.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I take Matthews because even strength goal scoring is the hardest thing to do in the league and he's truly one of the very best at it. He also never takes penalties, which hurts Ryan a bit.

The defensive stuff is mostly conjecture.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I take Matthews because even strength goal scoring is the hardest thing to do in the league and he's truly one of the very best at it. He also never takes penalties, which hurts Ryan a bit.
So far Matthews has taken a total of 4:00 in penalties this season and if you include last season he has a total of 18:00 penalty minutes for his career.

Besides Matthews scoring a lot of 5v5 goals this season, last season he lead the NHL in 5v5 goals.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I take Getzlaf. Better playmaker, better PPG, and better defensively. Been over a PPG his last 106 games. I can understand if people value goals more where Matthews has the advantage. But it does not matter who lines up with Getzlaf, the wingers always produce better and often have their best career years with him. So from an impact point of view Getzlaf gets the tap now.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I take Getzlaf. Better playmaker, better PPG, and better defensively. Been over a PPG his last 106 games. I can understand if people value goals more where Matthews has the advantage. But it does not matter who lines up with Getzlaf, the wingers always produce better and often have their best career years with him. So from an impact point of view Getzlaf gets the tap now.
It's easy to say Getzlaf has better wingers considering Matthews has played with Zach Hyman and William Nylander, who are still good but like Matthews they are also in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

The defensive stuff is mostly conjecture.
actually he's the best

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's easy to say Getzlaf has better wingers considering Matthews has played with Zach Hyman and William Nylander, who are still good but like Matthews they are also in their 2nd and 3rd seasons.

I'm not sure the difference is of any real significance though. Getzlaf plays the majority of his 5v5 time with Rakell who's on a fairly similar level to Nylander currently, and spends about half with time with a washed up Perry on the other wing who can finish about as well as Hyman these days.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure the difference is of any real significance though. Getzlaf plays the majority of his 5v5 time with Rakell who's on a fairly similar level to Nylander currently, and spends about half with time with a washed up Perry on the other wing who can finish about as well as Hyman these days.
So far in his career Rakell has proven he can score more regularly than Zach Hyman. As for Nylander if he can keep cashing in on more scoring chances that will also help him and Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad