• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Absolutely he has but for someone to have that kind of ability, to not take advantage of it very often is a fair criticism imo.

Well yeah, the entire premise of winning hockey games and the hardest thing to do in the NHL is score goals, and Matthews has been the very best at it in the center position over the past 2 years despite only being 20 years old. Matthews was scoring at a ppg pace too with the same amount of games played as Getzlaf. Hardly anything conclusive to point to as an advantage at this point with such few games played.
Assists lead to goals. Getzlaf is allowing his linemates to score goals allowing them to win hockey games.

Like I pointed out, in the past 2 seasons, Getzlaf has a point per game of 1.02. If you want to go back 3 seasons it is 0.93. In 4 seasons, its still 0.93. And all the way since the lockout its 0.97.

So:

This season: 1.09
Past 2 seasons: 1.02
Past 3 seasons: 0.93
Past 4 seasons: 0.93
Past 5 seasons: 0.97

That is consistency at an elite level of production. Even if his pace slows down, it is still to a similar pace as Matthews is scoring at now. But if you are expecting Getzlaf to slow down, you can expect Matthews to slightly slow down as well.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Assists lead to goals. Getzlaf is allowing his linemates to score goals allowing them to win hockey games.

Like I pointed out, in the past 2 seasons, Getzlaf has a point per game of 1.02. If you want to go back 3 seasons it is 0.93. In 4 seasons, its still 0.93. And all the way since the lockout its 0.97.

So:

This season: 1.09
Past 2 seasons: 1.02
Past 3 seasons: 0.93
Past 4 seasons: 0.93
Past 5 seasons: 0.97

That is consistency at an elite level of production. Even if his pace slows down, it is still to a similar pace as Matthews is scoring at now. But if you are expecting Getzlaf to slow down, you can expect Matthews to slightly slow down as well.
And there are 2 assists for every one goal. Goals are much harder to come by in the NHL, there's zero debate about it. Also this season is the first time Getzlaf has been ppg in the past 4 years. Great production either way, but Matthews is still producing at rate that getzlaf has been producing at over the past few years, so what's so bad about preferring him as a player? Younger, similar production with less minutes, more dominant goal scorer.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Just so everyone’s aware, Matthews’ current goals per game over 57 games is 31.5. Had he not missed those 10 games, that puts him either tied with Ovechkin for first, or in 2nd place. He’s not just scoring goals, he’s close to leading the league in goal production.

... In b4... but pace doesn’t matter :tmi:

Reactions: DriveFor9th

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Just so everyone’s aware, Matthews’ current goals per game over 57 games is 31.5. Had he not missed those 10 games, that puts him either tied with Ovechkin for first, or in 2nd place. He’s not just scoring goals, he’s close to leading the league in goal production.

It's really too bad he missed those 10 games, he'd would probably be leading the league in goals right now. Wasn't he also playing hurt before he missed those games?

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
It's really too bad he missed those 10 games, he'd would probably be leading the league in goals right now. Wasn't he also playing hurt before he missed those games?
He played hurt before he missed the ten games an when he came back he was not percent

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

No, people would just say that injuries are part of the game, and to suck it up. You aren’t going to get any sympathy from Anaheim fans. They were straight up the most injured team in the first half of the season.

The same argument applies to him playing injured. Who cares? It’s part of the game. Everyone does it.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
A
No, people would just say that injuries are part of the game, and to suck it up. You aren’t going to get any sympathy from Anaheim fans. They were straight up the most injured team in the first half of the season.

The same argument applies to him playing injured. Who cares? It’s part of the game. Everyone does it.[/QUO

Actually no, not everyone plays injured all the time and not everyone has missed 10 games due to injury.
Actually no not everyone plays injured and not everyone has missed 10 games due to injury

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A

Actually no not everyone plays injured and not everyone has missed 10 games due to injury

Who said everyone missed 10 games due to injury? I said injuries are part of the game, and they are.

If you don't think most players play injured at some point in the season, I don't know what to tell you. I guess whatever it takes to convince you Matthews is better, to somehow make him the exception.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yup, was in before...

Nothing you said takes away from my point

Actually, it takes away from your mocking statement about people saying pace doesn't matter.

Your point would have been fine without it. No one is denying Matthews' talent as a goal scorer, but goals alone don't automatically make one player better than another, and as a player Matthews still hasn't shown he is superior to Getzlaf.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Ok so points per game doesn’t matter to you...

Matthews has 44 points to Getzlaf’s 35...

Or are we moving the goal posts?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ok so points per game doesn’t matter to you...

Matthews has 44 points to Getzlaf’s 35...

Or are we moving the goal posts?

You most certainly are, since you're accusing me of saying something that I never said.

Where did I say points per game does not matter?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
You most certainly are, since you're accusing me of saying something that I never said.

Where did I say points per game does not matter?

When you tried to refute my point about Matthews’ goals per game.

Too bad Getzlaf missed so many games this year or he’d probably have more points than Matthews...

edit: or does PPG matter but GPG not? lol

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
When you tried to refute my point about Matthews’ goals per game.

Too bad Getzlaf missed so many games this year or he’d probably have more points than Matthews...

edit: or does PPG matter but GPG not? lol

You're not actually reading my posts are you? I didn't refute your point about his goals per game. In fact I specifically noted that Matthews ability as a goal scorer is not in question. He's a terrific goal scorer.

I said injuries are part of the game, and they are no excuse.

Look, man, if you want to go back and forth here, please read what I'm saying. It's just frustrating when you're accusing me of saying things I never said, and then trying to mock me for (not) saying it.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
You're not actually reading my posts are you? I didn't refute your point about his goals per game. In fact I specifically noted that Matthews ability as a goal scorer is not in question. He's a terrific goal scorer.

I said injuries are part of the game, and they are no excuse.

Ok so we agree Matthews’ 44 points are better than Getzlaf’s 35?

Or are you saying in Getzlafs games played he’s been better than in Matthews’ games played? Because he’d have to be roughly 25% better than Matthews in that case.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ya whatever helps you sleep at night bud.

Thank you for proving my point. Next time, try reading the posts you're responding to. The entire posts. They aren't exactly novels. You have no excuse for not reading them in their entirety.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Matthews goas against per 60 is also better the Getzlafs, in fact he's third I the league. So better goal scorer, better defensively. Getzlafs awesome but Matthews is better.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Getzlaf right now. However, I think they gap will close soon. Getzlaf is a beast defensively, but Matthews' play away from the puck is being exaggerated. If he can continue to score goals (he's on pace for 40, again) and be just OK defensively, then he should get more votes in future polls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad