Getzlaf dive of the year. (Gif and YT in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's a little of both embellishing and him just losing his balance when all his weight's on his right skate.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for the YT clip, much better than the GIF.

So has the NHL finally abandoned penalizing both players when one has been deemed to have dived or embellished? I have no idea what they could possibly call on this one, but they used to try their damndest to send one from each side whenever a player took a dive.

No, they called Phaneuf for tripping (I think).

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Some think this was not a dive? That's taking homerism to new heights.

It looked to me like Getzlaf was just trying to maintain his balance, and since there are plenty of neutral fans suggesting the same, I don't see how it's homerism. A difference of opinion, perhaps, but not homerism.

The most ridiculous comments seem to be along the lines of "hey look, I can skate, and I don't look that awkward when I fall..."

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
It looked to me like Getzlaf was just trying to maintain his balance, and since there are plenty of neutral fans suggesting the same, I don't see how it's homerism. A difference of opinion, perhaps, but not homerism.

The most ridiculous comments seem to be along the lines of "hey look, I can skate, and I don't look that awkward when I fall..."

I can skate and I look awkward trying not to fall, and falling, and well when I'm skating too. :shakehead

I do believe he legit lost his balance but also tried to sell it but that's my opinion.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
RaggedBewitchedAmericanbittern.gif

Definetely Neal's much better
AINEC

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The slowed down front view in the gif looks like he lost his balance and had an awkward spill, but the youtube with the other two angles at live speed look more like a legit dive. So I don't know?

One thing people who don't play high speed sports will often not realize or overlook is that while normally the athletes have great balance sometimes all it takes is a little tap in the right place at the right time to send you flying. I don't know how good guys could get at this but typically with a blatant dive there's a distinct delayed response. You don't really see that with this Getzlaf play and the recent Neal one.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

So by your logic, the Leafs fans who call it diving isn't an example of homerism because there are "neutrals" who also think it was a dive?

Who are the neutrals (that have seen the better video of the play) that don't think it's a dive?

I'm a Leafs fan. I think it was an obvious dive. I've described why I think it was an obvious dive. Is my opinion invalid because of homerism? If so….yours is too. If our opinions (Leafs and Ducks fans) are chucked then I think you'd find the vast majority of true neutrals (Not Leaf or Duck haters) think it was a dive.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Why do we even have GDTs on the main board if we're going to post stand-alone threads for every dumb thing that happens in a game?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad