Getzlaf dive of the year. (Gif and YT in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was hit from the side causing him to put his weight on his right skate; as he tried to steady himself there, on one skate, his weight shifted forward causing the back leg to fly up.

And as far as no way he wasn't...that happens all the time with novice skaters who are still learning balance. Yes, I understand that he is an NHLer and he's is a great skater, but just because they do play in the NHL, it doesn't mean that even the best players don't lose an edge or just lose their balance in general.

Losing balance is not admitted. HFboards... :shakehead

Seriously?

So because they are NHL skaters, they shouldn't be allowed to fall awkwardly? Man, you guys are....there are no words...

Half of this board can't skate, yet they feel they can judge what should or should not happen on a video, do you know if he a hit a rut in the ice? Do you know the ice conditions, I am not saying he dove or he did not dive, but for people to say 100% he dove because he was an NHL skater and it looked funny,...just...

Wow...

BTW, I don't think it was a dive, I believe he just didn't know what he wanted to do and ended up changing his mind, it's a helluva lot easier to take the fall in that situation that to try and plant a foot at the last second and risk tweaking something, but hell, you apparently are the expert...

You guys still stand by your arguments?

It's so clearly a dive you'd have better luck arguing in which direction the sun is going to set tonight.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

It's so clearly a dive you'd have better luck arguing in which direction the sun is going to set tonight.

Absolutely stand by what I said, those that are saying it's so clearly a dive, have never played the game at that fast a level to be able to decipher what Getzlaf was trying or not trying to do, I've seen guys that are just beasts on the ice, fall while STANDING, because their weight shifted, but hey, he's an NHL player, they aren't allowed to fall, no matter what...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
:laugh: Classic HF post right there.

I'm sure you would have been VERY graceful when busting your ass on the ice.

It's so clear that nearly everyone but you is looking at it and saying "meh, dude fell down."

Can't discuss things civilly without belittling the comment?

Here's a better angle.

And I'm guessing you haven't actually read the thread if you seriously think everyone but me is saying he "fell down."

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Absolutely stand by what I said, those that are saying it's so clearly a dive, have never played the game at that fast a level to be able to decipher what Getzlaf was trying or not trying to do, I've seen guys that are just beasts on the ice, fall while STANDING, because their weight shifted, but hey, he's an NHL player, they aren't allowed to fall, no matter what...

He didn't just fall, it's pretty clear that he jumped forward . His leg movement was not from someone that lost balance and fell. You don't need to be a pro hockey player to know what a player trying to get a call looks like.

He literally did the superman when there was no reason for him to do so other then trying to sell a call.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, the league should look at the epidemic of diving, except that Getzlaf doesn't usually dive, so what's the point in saying something like this in this thread?

Like the Red Wings don't dive.

Because the thread is about diving.

I said in another post that I don't think of Getzlaf as someone who regularly dives here. But this was absolutely one.

My comment wasn't meant to imply that Getzlaf's dive was somehow the straw that broke the camel's back regarding diving. Just that wondering when the league is finally going to address what has become a growing problem.

If anything, Getzlaf diving is troubling because it's a sign of just how prevalent it's become when a player like him feels it's acceptable to do it.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He didn't just fall, it's pretty clear that he jumped forward . His leg movement was not from someone that lost balance and fell. You don't need to be a pro hockey player to know what a player trying to get a call looks like.

Speaking of getting your head checked... good lord.

Not every fall is a dive...again, how do you know that he didn't lose a bit of speed and the he didn't toe pick? Oh wait...you don't.

How do you know that he didn't change his mind at the last second and was off balance..oh wait...you don't.

It's not "clear" that he jumped, it's very clear that he was off balance...but seriously NHL players should NEVER be off balance?

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

So you're saying there is no way to know if he was diving because we don't what he was trying to do?

Lol

Sounds like you're pretty sure it wasn't a dive and it's pretty obvious you're ignoring our best piece of evidence....the last video posted.

Watch it and explain what happened there to defend your point.

Did you see Getz indicating that there is a rut in the ice that caused that? Has he said he "lost his balance"?

Where is his coach/teammate defending his "loss of balance"? Lol

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So you're saying there is no way to know if he was diving because we don't what he was trying to do?

Lol

Sounds like you're pretty sure it wasn't a dive and it's pretty obvious you're ignoring our best piece of evidence....the last video posted.

Watch it and explain what happened there to defend your point.

Did you see Getz indicating that there is a rut in the ice that caused that? Has he said he "lost his balance"?

Where is his coach/teammate defending his "loss of balance"? Lol

I clearly said I didn't think it was a dive, but...good observation captain...

How does one indicate a rut on the ice, just curious, they point them out etc, and you expect the TV Camera to follow that?

Not saying that's what happened, but your steadfast refusal to believe that's a possibility is troubling...well...not troubling...but still....really?

So you think that with all his weight on one leg, and that one leg bent, so his weight was over his toes, that it is impossible for him, not to fall, but that he had to jump forward or dive?

Sorry where do you skate again?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hope both Neal and Getz are alright after those epic trips, can certainly injure yourself throwing the body to the graound that hard.

Expect it out of Neal but was surprised by Getz, both should be ashamed imo

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Not every fall is a dive...again, how do you know that he didn't lose a bit of speed and the he didn't toe pick? Oh wait...you don't.

How do you know that he didn't change his mind at the last second and was off balance..oh wait...you don't.

It's not "clear" that he jumped, it's very clear that he was off balance...but seriously NHL players should NEVER be off balance?

He kicked both feet in the air in about as perfect a diving motion as you could ever hope to see...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

No one is saying players can't fall. No one is saying every fall is a dive. Saying that we don't know what he was thinking is a little ironic because you don't know if he wanted to dive either. It's pointless to argue this. Honestly, if you can't grasp this, there's nothing else to say.

All we can argue is the evidence before us and it's pretty clear to me that it was a lot more then a balance issue and falling to the ice. If you can't see him using his right leg to jump forward and basically doing the superman, then I don't know what else to say. Going off balance and falling does not look like what Getzlaf did. It's right there in the video. If you still don't think he dove forward, then that's your opinion.

It's really not a big deal but I'm amazed that people think he just fell.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I clearly said I didn't think it was a dive, but...good observation captain...

How does one indicate a rut on the ice, just curious, they point them out etc, and you expect the TV Camera to follow that?

Not saying that's what happened, but your steadfast refusal to believe that's a possibility is troubling...well...not troubling...but still....really?

So you think that with all his weight on one leg, and that one leg bent, so his weight was over his toes, that it is impossible for him, not to fall, but that he had to jump forward or dive?

Sorry where do you skate again?
Come on, just stop...he is a great player, but it was a dive...he knew it, his coach knew it...let it go...;)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Come on, just stop...he is a great player, but it was a dive...he knew it, his coach knew it...let it go...;)

Thank you. Good lord I can't believe people are seriously arguing he just fell.

It's not that big of a deal but it was clearly a dive. His teammates probably chirped him for making it so obvious.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He kicked both feet in the air in about as perfect a diving motion as you could ever hope to see...

No one is saying players can't fall. No one is saying every fall is a dive. Saying that we don't know what he was thinking is a little ironic because you don't know if he wanted to dive either. It's pointless to argue this. Honestly, if you can't grasp this, there's nothing else to say.

All we can argue is the evidence before us and it's pretty clear to me that it was a lot more then a balance issue and falling to the ice. If you can't see him using his right leg to jump forward and basically doing the superman, then I don't know what else to say. Going off balance and falling does not look like what Getzlaf did. It's right there in the video. If you still don't think he dove forward, then that's your opinion.

It's really not a big deal but I'm amazed that people think he just fell.

Thank you. Good lord I can't believe people are seriously arguing he just fell.

It's not that big of a deal but it was clearly a dive. His teammates probably chirped him for making it so obvious.

Again, all of his weight was on his right leg, he was just hit on the left side as he was moving forward, his center of gravity was over his toes, in that situation, he was going down, but again, he's a NHL player, that doesn't happen, EVER, I mean seriously, NHL players, if they fall like that, it HAS to be a dive...

No seriously it has to, there is no way that they could lose their balance and fall forward like that...

Embellish and Dive are the new buzz words, and everyone seems them everywhere, yet most of the people that claim that it's a dive or embellishment, have no idea of the physics of skating....

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
For a big tough guy, Getz is a pretty big whiner and diver.

That is BS and spoken as someone who never watches him. I've seen all but a few games this year, and Getzlaf never dives. He even *****es at some of his teammates for doing it in the past. It was stupid to dive last night, but saying he's a diver is BS. Getzlaf yells at the ref a lot. That's not uncommon.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
The gif in the OP doesn't do it justice. There was another angle which shows it MUCH better that they showed on TSN

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
It is good that we don't see as many of those as we used to. I'm also tired of the "Oh, I got hit by a stick...better throw my head back" embellishments as well. I'm not talking about the ones that happen simultaneously with the contact, I am talking about when you can see there was a second or two before the head suddenly jerks backward. Any movement at all that is an attempt to embellish and draw attention, regardless of whether the original incident was a penalty or not, should be called every time.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
That is BS and spoken as someone who never watches him. I've seen all but a few games this year, and Getzlaf never dives. He even *****es at some of his teammates for doing it in the past. It was stupid to dive last night, but saying he's a diver is BS. Getzlaf yells at the ref a lot. That's not uncommon.

Getzlaf never dives and then you admit that he dove? Clearly he has dove, as you admit, so "never dives" would at least be ALMOST never dives.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Getzlaf never dives and then you admit that he dove? Clearly he has dove, as you admit, so "never dives" would at least be ALMOST never dives.

I honestly thought people would be smart enough to understand that on their own.

You're sidestepping the point. Calling Getzlaf a pretty big diver is BS. That's the first dive I've seen him do in a Ducks uniform.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I honestly thought people would be smart enough to understand that on their own.

You're sidestepping the point. Calling Getzlaf a pretty big diver is BS. That's the first dive I've seen him do in a Ducks uniform.

Whether or not that is his first or last dive, he will probably get called for it again. Anybody who yaps at the refs and then dives in such extraordinary fashion is going to be on the wrong side of them on a judgment call in the future. That's the real effect of what he did.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Whether or not that is his first or last dive, he will probably get called for it again. Anybody who yaps at the refs and then dives in such extraordinary fashion is going to be on the wrong side of them on a judgment call in the future. That's the real effect of what he did.

That's completely irrelevant to my post.

If he has never dove before, he's not a diver. Great logic though. I guess you think there are hundreds of snipers in this league too huh? I mean Tim Jackman scored a goal once with a nice shot. By your logic, he's now a sniper.

A lot of people yap at the refs all game. Stop making something out of nothing.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Thanks for the YT clip, much better than the GIF.

So has the NHL finally abandoned penalizing both players when one has been deemed to have dived or embellished? I have no idea what they could possibly call on this one, but they used to try their damndest to send one from each side whenever a player took a dive.

stish

Some think this was not a dive? That's taking homerism to new heights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad