Getzlaf dive of the year. (Gif and YT in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
RaggedBewitchedAmericanbittern.gif

Ok this one was funny :laugh:

I still think the league should have a hall of shame and show these every week. Not to mention fine the offenders.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The way he kicks his legs up in the back, there's no way he wasn't. They could put this video in the e-dictionary entry for diving, lol.

He was hit from the side causing him to put his weight on his right skate; as he tried to steady himself there, on one skate, his weight shifted forward causing the back leg to fly up.

And as far as no way he wasn't...that happens all the time with novice skaters who are still learning balance. Yes, I understand that he is an NHLer and he's is a great skater, but just because they do play in the NHL, it doesn't mean that even the best players don't lose an edge or just lose their balance in general.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Oh, I am losing my balance, should I put both skates on the ice or flail one leg backwards like a ballerina? C'mo obvious dive.

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
I don't get what he was trying to sell, since the Phaneuf hit was close to nothing

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I've never seen Getzlaf dive before ever. He rips Perry out about diving fairly constantly, I'd have to think he genuinely lost his balance there.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Does not look like a dive at all.

but neal tho LOL

RaggedBewitchedAmericanbittern.gif

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
i'm not sure about a dive. in our local parlance, i'd say he stacked it

now this was a dive, toronto fans:

AdmirableGroundedIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I hate it when players dive

Making a fool of yourself and a mockery of the game.

Have some self respect and integrity.

Some kid is at home watching you blatantly attempt to cheat.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You actually think Getzlaf didn't really dive, just 'stacked' it.... but Panik gets slashed right in the ribs/abdomen, where there's no protection, and falls in pain... and you think that's more of a dive.

You fail to mention that he got up right after to basically destroy Smith in the fight.

I'll be over there...

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't understand why the OP doesn't have the video with multiple angles...

He might have lost his balance due to the interference, but he literally dove forward to embellish. He immediately knew he had a penalty when the ref whistled.

Getzlaf is a great player but great players can sometimes do idiotic things, and Getzlaf desperately tried to sell a penalty that he didn't need to do since it was clearly interference to begin with.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009

AdmirableGroundedIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

Pretty clear he went down in pain, not as a dive. He also got right back up and stood up for himself.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I dunno, think that was more of a balance issue. His legs going that high may of set off some diver alarms, but I don't think it was a dive.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He clearly lost his balance. Should not have been a penalty on either. That being said, the referees don't have the benefit of slowed down camera angles, zoom cameras etc in the heat of the moment.

Same with the offsides calls. Close calls are screwed up every game.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Pretty clear he went down in pain, not as a dive. He also got right back up and stood up for himself.

the cross check Smith laid on him that broke his stick was more series, and that didn't even flinch him

He got up and kicked smiths ass because Smith was not gonna let him lay on the ice that late in the game.

He was attempting to sell a call. He was not in any pain what so ever. And Smith needs to never, fight.. EVER.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
You do when you try to maintain your balance, and you fail. It was an awkward fall.

No his momentum was still forward when he collided with Phaneuf and after that happens his right knee is bent and all the weight is on it - these are NHL skaters and can easily recover with just the 1 leg already on the ice. There is no legit situation where any weight should be shifted to your other leg when all the weight is in your right leg. None. I'd like to see someone lean forward on a bent knee still having balance (or even falling to the toe of his skate (which he wasn't) and try to tell me there's any reason to swing your other leg completely behind you. It carries zero weight.

What he was doing, was trying to draw an interference call, obviously. This was as poor as Avery's dive when someone shot him from the rafters.

Last edited:

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

He might have lost his balance due to the interference, but he literally dove forward to embellish. He immediately knew he had a penalty when the ref whistled.

Getzlaf is a great player but great players can sometimes do idiotic things, and Getzlaf desperately tried to sell a penalty that he didn't need to do since it was clearly interference to begin with.

Bang on.

Those who think he only "lost his balance" are lost themselves. Lol

Did he toe pick the ice with his right foot? Check out the :35 second mark.

He sells the interference by never planting his left foot and goes too far when he decides to kick both of his legs up in the air.

If it was reversed and Phaneuf did it nobody would question if he dove. Even though he's not as good and "balanced" a skater as getzlaf.

Also....if leafs had lost 6-2 the leaf haters on the board would admit they thought Getz dove but it's all good cause the leafs suck. Lol

I love when the leafs playing well for a stretch makes the leaf haters say what they say.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No his momentum was still forward when he collided with Phaneuf and after that happens his right knee is bent and all the weight is on it - these are NHL skaters and can easily recover with just the 1 leg already on the ice. There is no legit situation where any weight should be shifted to your other leg when all the weight is in your right leg. None. I'd like to see someone lean forward on a bent knee still having balance (or even falling to the toe of his skate (which he wasn't) and try to tell me there's any reason to swing your other leg completely behind you. It carries zero weight.

What he was doing, was trying to draw an interference call, obviously. This was as poor as Avery's dive when someone shot him from the rafters.

Seriously?

So because they are NHL skaters, they shouldn't be allowed to fall awkwardly? Man, you guys are....there are no words...

Half of this board can't skate, yet they feel they can judge what should or should not happen on a video, do you know if he a hit a rut in the ice? Do you know the ice conditions, I am not saying he dove or he did not dive, but for people to say 100% he dove because he was an NHL skater and it looked funny,...just...

Wow...

BTW, I don't think it was a dive, I believe he just didn't know what he wanted to do and ended up changing his mind, it's a helluva lot easier to take the fall in that situation that to try and plant a foot at the last second and risk tweaking something, but hell, you apparently are the expert...

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Embellishment for sure

It's not that embarrassing to admit guys, he's not a known diver. Almost everyone does it from time to time.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City

On video, it looks a lot more obvious. I will say that dives should be double-minors to discourage such theatrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad