OT: Getting to know your fellow CBJ fans

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Not to clog the thread with offtopic, but I just installed the DLC yesterday. I just finished Starfield this weekend so now I'm diving back into CP2077. Haven't touched it since patch 2.0 so it's all brand new to me again, although I'd beaten it a few times already and was working my wait to a platinum achievment trophy until Starfield released.
love both games but going from starfield back into cyberpunk has been JARRING.

my one big regret though is that the character i was planning to use (covert quickhacks intelligence/cool build) isn't really built for 2.0 at all. feels like body/reflexes builds got a huge buff.

Reactions: Jovavic and CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
love both games but going from starfield back into cyberpunk has been JARRING.

my one big regret though is that the character i was planning to use (covert quickhacks intelligence/cool build) isn't really built for 2.0 at all. feels like body/reflexes builds got a huge buff.
I did a samurai like build on my last playthrough and did almost 0 hacking and little gun usage and it was pretty fun

I can only imagine! I've been playing star citizen a lot and I'm afraid to go back to starfield now.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't know where to put this so I figured I'd put it here. If you decide to read this I am sorry in advance for the long post.

In 1998 I moved to Columbus from the metropolitan Detroit area as a supporter of multiple state of Michigan sports teams including being a die hard Red Wings fan. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the city of Columbus (not the Buckeyes), the metropolitan area, the awesome golf courses and eventually the CBJ in 2000. It also did not take long for me to hate the Red Wings and their arrogant fans.

Many positive things have happened recently in my life. I retired in December, not just because I didn't want to work anymore or because I'm nearing retirement age, but because I was ready and financially able to do so. My favorite Michigan sports teams have done things that have rarely been done in my lifetime. And most importantly my daughter is getting married in September. Next weekend I will be leaving Columbus and moving back to the metro Detroit area to begin the next chapter in my life. Things have never been better. I am happy but mostly thankful and blessed. I will miss Columbus but I am excited about what the future holds for the rest of my life. It has been a long time to be away from those closest to you and it will be nice to not have to schedule appointments well in advance to see my daughter or to watch a game with my brothers.

I found this hockey community in 2006. I have never posted much over the years but it was fun reading and conversing with other CBJ fans here and abroad. I've enjoyed a lot of posters especially when I first joined. Following the GDTs used to be fun, even in the lean days. There was even a live game day chat at one time. Complaints that posters had with owners, management and players back then were debated as they are today. But as the years have gone by things have changed. Not only on this board but in life in general. Most of the old posters are gone now (If @Macster ever reads this board I hope that things are good for you and yours) and the LOUD VOICES around here now dominate the conversation. As I have done personally with people in my life, I continue trying to eliminate negativity and hate from my life, something that I believe that this board has slowly and sadly morphed into.

Last week I stated that I had never put anyone from this board on ignore. That was not a lie and is still true. Even though I thought about doing it several times I have never silenced the radical/extreme/hateful/ignorant/chest pounding/hide behind my keyboard/it's all about me/look over there not over here/it's 2024 and anyone can say whatever big mouthed things they want to say to hurt anyone without any consequences to themselves...... posters, that I have disagreed with on this board over the past several years. It's fair to say that I will continue to disagree with them because they have the same views of life away from this hockey board.

So today I am putting everyone on ignore.

Just as Torts had a shelf life, my shelf life here on HFCBJ boards has expired. Thank you to all whom I have learned so much from over the years. My support for the CBJ will never go away with my move back to Red Wings territory. I will continue reading, following and supporting the CBJ as I do today, just not on this board.

Thank you to the mods who through the years have done a great job with the almost impossible task of trying to control the few who try to turn this board into a complete shit show.

Peace for everyone.
Best wishes to all.
GO CBJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I didn't know where to put this so I figured I'd put it here. If you decide to read this I am sorry in advance for the long post.

In 1998 I moved to Columbus from the metropolitan Detroit area as a supporter of multiple state of Michigan sports teams including being a die hard Red Wings fan. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the city of Columbus (not the Buckeyes), the metropolitan area, the awesome golf courses and eventually the CBJ in 2000. It also did not take long for me to hate the Red Wings and their arrogant fans.

Many positive things have happened recently in my life. I retired in December, not just because I didn't want to work anymore or because I'm nearing retirement age, but because I was ready and financially able to do so. My favorite Michigan sports teams have done things that have rarely been done in my lifetime. And most importantly my daughter is getting married in September. Next weekend I will be leaving Columbus and moving back to the metro Detroit area to begin the next chapter in my life. Things have never been better. I am happy but mostly thankful and blessed. I will miss Columbus but I am excited about what the future holds for the rest of my life. It has been a long time to be away from those closest to you and it will be nice to not have to schedule appointments well in advance to see my daughter or to watch a game with my brothers.

I found this hockey community in 2006. I have never posted much over the years but it was fun reading and conversing with other CBJ fans here and abroad. I've enjoyed a lot of posters especially when I first joined. Following the GDTs used to be fun, even in the lean days. There was even a live game day chat at one time. Complaints that posters had with owners, management and players back then were debated as they are today. But as the years have gone by things have changed. Not only on this board but in life in general. Most of the old posters are gone now (If @Macster ever reads this board I hope that things are good for you and yours) and the LOUD VOICES around here now dominate the conversation. As I have done personally with people in my life, I continue trying to eliminate negativity and hate from my life, something that I believe that this board has slowly and sadly morphed into.

Last week I stated that I had never put anyone from this board on ignore. That was not a lie and is still true. Even though I thought about doing it several times I have never silenced the radical/extreme/hateful/ignorant/chest pounding/hide behind my keyboard/it's all about me/look over there not over here/it's 2024 and anyone can say whatever big mouthed things they want to say to hurt anyone without any consequences to themselves...... posters, that I have disagreed with on this board over the past several years. It's fair to say that I will continue to disagree with them because they have the same views of life away from this hockey board.

Just as Torts had a shelf life, my shelf life here on HFCBJ boards has expired. Thank you to all whom I have learned so much from over the years. My support for the CBJ will never go away with my move back to Red Wings territory. I will continue reading, following and supporting the CBJ as I do today, just not on this board.

Thank you to the mods who through the years have done a great job with the almost impossible task of trying to control the few who try to turn this board into a complete shit show.

Peace for everyone.
Best wishes to all.
GO CBJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well damn, @Byrral.

But (I write as if you will read this) good for you. Not about the board, but about all the other stuff. Be well.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Peace for everyone.
Best wishes to all.
GO CBJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you well in your next chapter. It seems you are retiring for the right reasons and I’m sure you will find it a good gig (I know I have). It’s always sad to lose the good, rational posters on HFB and you have certainly been one. Good luck and enjoy going forward.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Peace for everyone.
Best wishes to all.
GO CBJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I miss Live Chat too. The core organizing principle of same - "we're here to have fun, either because or in spite of what's happening on the ice" - is one I've tried to bring to these boards but I don't feel like it's worked, and that continues to frustrate and depress me.

Hope everything keeps going well for you. :)

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Since we're talking life changes, I'll mention that in about 25 days I will be officially retired, and in about two months I'll be living in a country with exactly one total ice sheet, and stopping by Nationwide Arena to watch the CBJ would involve passports and airplanes and such. But if Saprissa ever decides to join the NHL, I will be perfectly placed!

I've never been a heavy contributor here, but I've had a lot of fun with the board and learned so much from y'all.

I'll still be around - I think a little VPN trickery will get me access to both HF and the NHL, and I want to see if any of this crop of youngsters comes to fruition. It's been a long, strange trip since the then-wife and I watched Gary Thorne MC the groundbreaking at "the old penitentiary site." So this will just be a new chapter in the on-going saga. And I swear to be first in line if they ever start selling tickets for a Stanley Cup Celebration Parade in Columbus!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Since we're talking life changes, I'll mention that in about 25 days I will be officially retired, and in about two months I'll be living in a country with exactly one total ice sheet, and stopping by Nationwide Arena to watch the CBJ would involve passports and airplanes and such. But if Saprissa ever decides to join the NHL, I will be perfectly placed!

I've never been a heavy contributor here, but I've had a lot of fun with the board and learned so much from y'all.

I'll still be around - I think a little VPN trickery will get me access to both HF and the NHL, and I want to see if any of this crop of youngsters comes to fruition. It's been a long, strange trip since the then-wife and I watched Gary Thorne MC the groundbreaking at "the old penitentiary site." So this will just be a new chapter in the on-going saga. And I swear to be first in line if they ever start selling tickets for a Stanley Cup Celebration Parade in Columbus!
You retiring to CR for fun and relaxation in the sun or to do some work?

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
You retiring to CR for fun and relaxation in the sun or to do some work?
Mostly relaxation and to implement my plan to achieve nirvana through reading and writing. Also, that's where my fiancé lives and she likes the idea of us being in the same general area. And I will bask in my knowledge that I'm very unlikely to have a heart attack shoveling snow, or break a hip slipping on black ice in the parking lot at Kroger....

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I hope I wasn't part of the problem, I try to be as uncontroversial as mashed potatoes as possible.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
i got my 20 year HF member award and dont think ive ever filled this out

(Real) Name: Brandon
Age you act: 13
Sex: m
Birthplace: Newark Ohio
Where you live: Newark Ohio
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: is my lack of any
Nationality: german/irish/scottosh/etc
Mode of Transportation: 13 toyota rav4
Job: collision repair
College Attended/Attending: Capital University

How you became a Jackets' fan: the jackets became
Favorite Jackets Player: vyborny
Favorite NON Jackets Player:
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir):
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: to many to count

Favorite activity: Beer league hockey

Music/Bands You Like: Dave matthews band, grateful dead

Libation of choice
: premium spicy margarita
Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: Mastodon Ice arena

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
i got my 20 year HF member award and dont think ive ever filled this out

(Real) Name: Brandon
Age you act: 13
Sex: m
Birthplace: Newark Ohio
Where you live: Newark Ohio
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: is my lack of any
Nationality: german/irish/scottosh/etc
Mode of Transportation: 18 toyota rav4
Job: collision repair
College Attended/Attending: Capital University

How you became a Jackets' fan: the jackets became
Favorite Jackets Player: vyborny
Favorite NON Jackets Player:
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir):
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: to many to count

Favorite activity: Beer league hockey

Music/Bands You Like: Dave matthews band, grateful dead

Libation of choice
: premium spicy margarita
Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: Mastodon Ice arena
Whoa there's a 20-year member award? A few more months for me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've got a ways yet to go.

Anyways, my bio on the first page is still mostly accurate, with one or two minor changes from the passage of time. For example, I don't work at Nationwide Children's anymore, but it's still exactly the same work (we went independent during the pandemic). And I'm four years older; my eldest niece just became a legal adult just over a week ago. :scared: And the auditions for a replacement Viqsi's Favorite Blue Jacket have been ongoing ever since Atkinson left and are showing no signs of coming to a resolution anytime soon, if ever. :(

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio

Attachments

• 8F91B080-F113-4603-88B5-F44523F58022.jpeg
    8F91B080-F113-4603-88B5-F44523F58022.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Cowumbus

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Very prestigious situation
Any doubts I had about sticking around have been squelched!

My bio is roughly the same, except I'm no longer a member of the working media, either staff or freelance. Almost a year ago I joined CAPA (Columbus Association for the Performing Arts) in a PR/media relations/marketing role. (Yes, I can get free tickets. No, not for you.)

Reactions: Viqsi

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
...19 years, 7 months and 15 days (if I did my math correctly).

A vast majority of my bio is the same. I got an old RR with Jean-Luc Grand Pierre's name on the back, got it signed, and then got another one by mistake (my dad ordered a Fantilli cannon jersey from the same website he got the Hyphenator jersey from, but they sent the second one because something messed up on the way). so the signed Hyphenator jersey has to be my favorite.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad