OT: Getting to know your fellow CBJ fans

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Picking up Barkov and game is in Tampere and its our homegame.
This seems to be a theme around here lately. It's nice to have dreams, but I'd really like it if we could avoid harassing Florida fans with this idea. It was unwelcome when folks did it to us with our players; it's only fair that we extend other teams the courtesy we desire extended to us. Marginalized markets ought to stick together against the vultures.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not a fan, but I came here with the Laine train and here I am 2 AM waiting for the game to start. Middle aged, working man. Yeah, I am crazy and this is a very very bad idea.

When I was young CBJ did not exist. I have a very warm spot on my (now broken) heart for the Jets and soft spots for the Flames and also for the Panthers that came to the NHL when I was a school kid.

The Blue Jackets was kind of Tabula Rasa for me. No strong opinions for or against, and I think that's a good thing.

Things I like the Blue Jackets so far:

-colors and those jerseys, deep blue with red and white
-alternate logo with cannon *
-the cannon!
-Jarmo
-Tortorella
-defensive play
-overall play structure
-Korpisalo and Elvis
-CBJ showing love to Laine, obviously

And did I forget to mention the Cannon?

(* there is nothing wrong with primary logo, but it's not like super cool like the Flames logo was for a young kid back then)

I am a Finn from roughly the same area than Laine. Also my nickname "Halberdier" is a reference to my favourite team Tappara ("battle axe", a bit like halberd), which was also Laine's youth team.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Mid aged Finnish man here also, started to follow NHL when Jari Kurri played in Edmonton so that's why Edmonton has always been one of my favorites, others are Avs and Devils, let's see shall we add CBJ to that list also. It was a time when you got results two days later in finnish newspapers, so if game was on Friday, results were at newspapers earliest on Sunday.

Came also because of Laine here, also followed Jets when Selänne played there. Never been in Ohio or in Columbus, maybe some year then when all travel bans are finished. BTW, that Cannon Rocks!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bumping this thread for any noobs or anyone who hasn't done their profile or wants to update theirs.

This is the last time suck thread I've got then we're into training camp threads and real hockey stuff. If nothing else, you can read up on other posters.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
(Real) Name: Eva
Sex: F
Birthplace: Slovakia
Nationality: Slovak

How you became a Jackets' fan: Thanks to Sergei Fedorov.
Favorite Jackets Player: Sergei Fedorov, Jared Boll, Rick Nash, Dmitriy Voronkov, Patrik Laine, David Jiříček, Ivan Provorov.
Favorite NON Jackets Player: Dalibor Dvorský, Alexandr Barkov, Pavel Datsyuk, Robert Svehla, Marian Hossa, Erik Černák, Andrei Vasilevsky... .
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir): Stinger :thumbu:
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: One, no name on the back.

Video Game Systems Owned: none
Favorite Game(s): none
Music/Bands You Like: especially Nightwish
Favorite Movie(s): The Lord of The Rings, The Crimson Rivers (with Jean Reno), Vidocq (with Gerard Depardieu), Red Cliff (with Takeshi Kaneshiro), Viy (with Leonid Kurashov and Natalya Barley).... but I prefer books.
Favourite books: The Brothers Karamazov, Demons, The Idiot (Fyodor Dostoevsky); Catch-22 (Joseph Heller); The Master and Margarita (Mikhail Bulgakov); The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco); The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Edward Gibbon), Jeffery Deavers' book and so on, and so one... .

Favorite Food: fried cheese, French potatoes
Libation of choice: tea, juice and cappuccino

Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: Stinger :thumbu:

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, my bio on the first page is still sufficiently accurate, so I'ma just leave it as is.

Will have to find a new favorite Jackets player tho now that Cam is no longer here. :cry:

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
(Real) Name: Andrew

Age you act: 51 - most of the time

Sex: M

Birthplace: Columbus, OH

Where you live: Pataskala, OH

Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: Eyes - green

Nationality: American Native/Irish/German

Mode of Transportation
: Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro

Job: Data Scientist and Manage people that are extremely smart

College Attended/Attending: US NAVY

How you became a Jackets' fan: Worked in the front office/game for the Chill (entire existence) and worked for the NHL (CBJ) for 4 years.

Favorite Jackets Player: Ray Whitney, Espen Knutsen, Artemi Panarin, Nick Foligno, Ron Tugnutt , Antoine Vermette, Rick Nash, Kent Johnson, Seth Jones, Elvis Merzlikins, David Savard and Zack Werenski

Favorite NON Jackets Player: Modano, Roenick, Bure, Roy, Kane, Bergeron, Keith, Hasek, McDavid, Crosby - I like a lot of players

Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir): none..

Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe
: North Stars (was my one of my favorites growing up), Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Whalers, USA, CBJ (old and new)

Video Game Systems Owned:PS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5

Favorite Game(s): God of War, Star Wars, NHL (all versions)

Music/Bands You Like: Really depends on my mood anything from Metallica to Jimi Hendrix, from Disturbed to Sam Cook, from Justin Timberlake to Foo Fighters (copied from a previous poster for some items)

Favorite Movie(s): The Count of Monte Cristo, Tequila Sunrise, The Matrix, Stars Wars (entire series), Lord of the Rings (entire series), The Martian - I have over 900 movies.

Favorite TV Show: Seinfeld, Law & Order, Ted Lasso, 24

Favorite Food: Tommy’s or Angie’s Pizza

Libation of choice: Occasionally drink, I'll enjoy a good micro brew, red wine or whiskey on the rocks (not all at the same time).

Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: I really don’t use Twitter/IG

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Siddhartha is definitely worth a read, even if you're not into spirituality. Glass Bead Game is kind of long and tiring compared to Siddhartha and other shorter novels, but it's still very good if you like his style. If you haven't read anything from him before I'd recommend to begin with collections of poems and short stories and maybe then move into Siddhartha. :thumbu:
Honestly... although I know Hermann Hesse, I have red nothing from him. I think I`ll start with short stories because I`m not a fan of poems... . I want to take a state exam in Russian, so when I think of having to read Vladimir Mayakovsky and Marina Tsvetaeva... :bow:

Reactions: tunnelvision

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I was gonna make one update to my bio. YoungGuns80 beat me to it.

Favorite current TV show is Ted Lasso. If you don't have Apple TV+ its worth it just for this show and if you have Apple TV+ and don't watch it...shame on you! Who doesn't love F'n Roy Kent?

My wife and I also watch The Great British Baking Show together. That's the closest I get to reality TV :)

Reactions: Youngguns80

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
(Real) Name: Connor
Age you act: a lot of folks say i act a lot older than I am, but a proper age has never been given.
Sex: Male
Birthplace: Champaign, IL
Where you live: Mt. Washington, KY
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: If I was worth my weight in gold, i'd be worth over $4 million.
Nationality: German/Swiss on my dad's side, Scottish on my mom's (aye or die, lads)
Mode of Transportation: "Iron Man" (2010 Dodge Avenger, deep red)
Job: full-time high school student
College Attended/Attending: I've expressed interest in going to Murray State and Indiana State above all else.

How you became a Jackets' fan: I was born into the fandom: my dad grew up around Cleveland (which has made me a massive Guardians, Browns and Cavs fan) and he was a fan since day one.
Favorite Jackets Player: Alexandre Texier and Eric Robinson (Trey Fix-Wolansky has to be my favorite Monster)
Favorite NON Jackets Player: Any former Jacket, superstar or fringe player, honestly. If I were to name a name, it would be Cam Atkinson
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir): A jersey I call "The Anachronism": a Jody Shelley jersey with the current logo and number/name font, signed by the man himself. Will provide photo evidence if it is asked for.
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: aside from the Shelley jersey, a Cam Atkinson home jersey, Zach Werenski red Reverse Retro, and a couple of nameless Cincinnati Cyclones jerseys

Video Game Systems Owned: Wii, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One
Favorite Game(s): The NHL series, older Madden games, Minecraft, Codemasters F1 games, NASCAR Thunder 2004
Music/Bands You Like: Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Pantera, Slipknot, TOOL, Rammstein, System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold (can you tell I like grunge/metal)
Favorite Movie(s): Major League, The Replacements, Avengers: Infinity War, Moneyball
Favorite TV Show: Probably Law and Order. I don't watch much TV nowadays unless i'm watching hockey/racing/baseball/football.
Favorite Food: Zaxby's chicken. If you've never had it, it Is to DIE FOR.
Libation of choice: I'm too young to drink, but now that I live in Bourbon Country, I'll have a lot of different types to choose from.
Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: Robby Gordon. Man was a hothead/borderline idiot on the track, but off it, he's one of the coolest people you can talk to.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm new since this thread went around, so I guess I'll fill it out, too!

(Real) Name: Victoria
Age you act: 35 give or take
Birthplace: Canton, OH
Where you live: Clintonville, Columbus
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: I'm short and have big curly hair
Nationality: American. My mom is Italian, French and Czech, my dad is Irish
Mode of Transportation: I do not drive
Job: life insurance at large blue eagle logo insurance company who owns the arena
College Attended/Attending: OU OH YEAH

How you became a Jackets' fan: I worked for the team for four years before the pandemic and proximity from living in Athens for a decade
Favorite Jackets Player: Texier. And I still love Elvis.
Favorite NON Jackets Player: Nathan MacKinnon. Will always have a soft spot for Nick Foligno, too.
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir): I have a blank MiC I got on ebay for less than $100
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Several dozen from across the league plus a few international jerseys, ASG jerseys, and major junior. I haven't done an audit in a while, but I think I'm just missing Seattle, Calgary, Montreal, Detroit, Minnesota, San Jose, Washington, Tampa, Florida, and Dallas now. I have at least ten CBJ, six or seven Colorado, four Ducks, and a couple of several other teams.

Video Game Systems Owned: every xbox so far, PC
Favorite Game(s): Skyrim, Fallout series, Cyberpunk 2077, Minecraft, the Sims franchise
Music/Bands You Like: System of a Down, Brand New, Deftones, Chris Stapleton, the Mountain Goats, Mars Volta, Incubus, Caamp, Mariah Carey
Favorite Movie(s): the Wedding Singer, Clueless, the Departed
Favorite TV Show: I'm not much of a TV person. I mostly watch interesting niche youtubers (art restoration, geology/gold panning, The Hockey Guy, science, etc) and game streamers (MATN, a few Minecraft streamers without commentary because I find the sounds of Minecraft soothing background noise)
Favorite Food: anything spicy, fried plantains, mushroom ravioli
Libation of choice: I'm not much of a drinker these days after spending most of my adult life working in the bar and restaurant industry, but I do love a hazy IPA or Rhinegeist Zango
Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: I mostly follow artists on IG (a lot of sculptors and ceramicists, plus some taxidermists) and only use twitter for sports news at this point

Palmu

Apr 10, 2019
Finland
New in here. Followed this board many years already though.

Name: Juhani
Age you act: sometimes 18, sometimes 60+
Birthplace: Vammala, Finland
Where you live: Espoo, Finland
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: Blonde, blue eyes
Nationality: Finnish
Mode of Transportation: Bicycle and car
Job: semiconductor operator

How you became a Jackets' fan: Don't remember why. It started when they came to NHL. Maybe because I like underdogs
Favorite Jackets Player: Texier, Klesla
Favorite NON Jackets Player: All Finnish players
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir): Klesla young guns NHL card
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Texier, Klesla, Nash, Bufyglien

Video Game Systems Owned:
Favorite Game(s): kiekko.tk, mass effect
Music/Bands You Like: Progressive metal/rock. Soen, Pain of Salvation, Tool, Porcupine Tree etc..
Favorite Movie(s): Lotr trilogy
Favorite TV Show: Maybe Mandalorian...or Oz
Favorite Food: Salmon
Libation of choice: Whiskey sour
Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: I follow only people I know

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's come to the point that I've been on these boards longer than a poster has been alive.

Solid list of favorite music, Bobcat

Edit: did not realize my birthday here was earlier this month, I'm 21...again!
Huh. My actual birthday is literally tomorrow; that's when my life ceases to have meaning.
extreme nerd joke alert

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm new since this thread went around, so I guess I'll fill it out, too!

(Real) Name: Victoria
Age you act: 35 give or take
Birthplace: Canton, OH
Where you live: Clintonville, Columbus
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: I'm short and have big curly hair
Nationality: American. My mom is Italian, French and Czech, my dad is Irish
Mode of Transportation: I do not drive
Job: life insurance at large blue eagle logo insurance company who owns the arena
College Attended/Attending: OU OH YEAH

How you became a Jackets' fan: I worked for the team for four years before the pandemic and proximity from living in Athens for a decade
Favorite Jackets Player: Texier. And I still love Elvis.
Favorite NON Jackets Player: Nathan MacKinnon. Will always have a soft spot for Nick Foligno, too.
Favorite piece of Blue Jacket paraphernalia (souvenir): I have a blank MiC I got on ebay for less than $100
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Several dozen from across the league plus a few international jerseys, ASG jerseys, and major junior. I haven't done an audit in a while, but I think I'm just missing Seattle, Calgary, Montreal, Detroit, Minnesota, San Jose, Washington, Tampa, Florida, and Dallas now. I have at least ten CBJ, six or seven Colorado, four Ducks, and a couple of several other teams.

Video Game Systems Owned: every xbox so far, PC
Favorite Game(s): Skyrim, Fallout series, Cyberpunk 2077, Minecraft, the Sims franchise
Music/Bands You Like: System of a Down, Brand New, Deftones, Chris Stapleton, the Mountain Goats, Mars Volta, Incubus, Caamp, Mariah Carey
Favorite Movie(s): the Wedding Singer, Clueless, the Departed
Favorite TV Show: I'm not much of a TV person. I mostly watch interesting niche youtubers (art restoration, geology/gold panning, The Hockey Guy, science, etc) and game streamers (MATN, a few Minecraft streamers without commentary because I find the sounds of Minecraft soothing background noise)
Favorite Food: anything spicy, fried plantains, mushroom ravioli
Libation of choice: I'm not much of a drinker these days after spending most of my adult life working in the bar and restaurant industry, but I do love a hazy IPA or Rhinegeist Zango
Most Interesting/Unusual Person/Entity You Follow on Twitter/IG: I mostly follow artists on IG (a lot of sculptors and ceramicists, plus some taxidermists) and only use twitter for sports news at this point
Have you played much CP2077 since the update/DLC?!

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
It's come to the point that I've been on these boards longer than a poster has been alive.

Solid list of favorite music, Bobcat

Edit: did not realize my birthday here was earlier this month, I'm 21...again!
It's strange: feels like most folks here are old enough to be my parents. Despite this, it's great to be seen as an equal despite my age and despite being so new on HFBoards.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Have you played much CP2077 since the update/DLC?!

It's awesome, the stuff they redid like equipment and perks works great and the DLC drops right into the main story like it was always supposed to be there. Up there with some of the Mass Effect series DLC as my all time favorites.
Not to clog the thread with offtopic, but I just installed the DLC yesterday. I just finished Starfield this weekend so now I'm diving back into CP2077. Haven't touched it since patch 2.0 so it's all brand new to me again, although I'd beaten it a few times already and was working my wait to a platinum achievment trophy until Starfield released.

Reactions: Jovavic

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
New in here. Followed this board many years already though.

Name: Juhani
Age you act: sometimes 18, sometimes 60+
Birthplace: Vammala, Finland
Where you live: Espoo, Finland
Distinguishing Physical Characteristic: Blonde, blue eyes
Nationality: Finnish...
I always got the impression blonde hair and blue eyes would not necessarily be distinguishing physical characteristics in Finland :)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Not to clog the thread with offtopic, but I just installed the DLC yesterday. I just finished Starfield this weekend so now I'm diving back into CP2077. Haven't touched it since patch 2.0 so it's all brand new to me again, although I'd beaten it a few times already and was working my wait to a platinum achievment trophy until Starfield released.
It feels SO much better and the DLC is fantastic. @Jovavic is right it's entirely worth deep diving. Definitely start fresh as all the skill trees have been reworked!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad