OT: Getting to know your fellow CBJ fans

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Respect.

I made the final decision to sell my car after watching a youtube video of people bike commuting in the winter in Oulu. Now, I thought, there are no excuses left.
My one remaining excuse is that for when I go to meet friends at various places around the country every summer and New Year's, I always drive.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Paging @Leonardo87...

This is the part where I am obliged to inform you that that's the state flag of Ohio. ;)

Nice. Hope y'all have fun here. :D

6D23C5FD-E3F8-420B-BE23-97B1AEF4F14A.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So far so good?

The car free part, yes. Biking is stop and start. I don't always like biking, especially in bad weather or car traffic. But the walking has been great. It got me back in shape. I don't miss driving at all.

My one remaining excuse is that for when I go to meet friends at various places around the country every summer and New Year's, I always drive.

Makes sense.

I've seen some people make a similar calculation and figure out that renting a car is cheaper, but there's a lot of nuance in every person's situations.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I’m going to assume you bike riders don’t have kids who play hockey.

There is a reason I drive an SUV. Hockey bags take up a lot of space.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m going to assume you bike riders don’t have kids who play hockey.

There is a reason I drive an SUV. Hockey bags take up a lot of space.

Correct.

I know folks with kids who haul everyone around with an e-bike cargo trailer. The e-bikes these days are powerful enough to haul everything. But if I had kids with me I'd be too scared to bike in traffic, it only works if you have routes you feel very comfortable with.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Correct.

I know folks with kids who haul everyone around with an e-bike cargo trailer. The e-bikes these days are powerful enough to haul everything. But if I had kids with me I'd be too scared to bike in traffic, it only works if you have routes you feel very comfortable with.

Hockey is a driving sport, and the better your kid is, the more you drive. If you have a halfway talented daughter who plays hockey, you really drive. Even if I would bike around Columbus with a trailer, several of the rinks I go to in a given season (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Oxford, etc) are impractical for a bike.

I know people where they used to share a small very fuel efficient car and one spouse would bike around and the kids used to ride in a bike trailer. But then the kids got big and had activities all over town and they broke down and bought an SUV.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Taking this further off topic. I love to bike ride but I stick to rail-trails and do it for exercise and fun...not for transportation There are way too many stupid distracted drivers on the roads.

I know a guy who loves to ride and goes out on the roads. I say no way. He says the roads around us are perfectly safe. Then one day he's down the road sitting off to the side. His bike is totaled and he's all road-rashed up. Some kid who was probably looking at her phone and driving too fast ran him down.

I got a buddy who was riding IN THE NATIONAL PARK in Cleveland. A box truck zips past him in a narrow uphill section. I come up on him and he's on the side of the road in a ditch because the truck gave him no clearance and the guy ran him off the road.

I was walking in my neighborhood. 25 MPH speed limits on the roads and no sidewalks. Dude drives right at me and chases me on to somebody's lawn. Like WTF?

Wife and I went to Dayton last summer and rode the rail-trail. We figured we'd hit a pub downtown for lunch. The seventeen miles of rail-trail into the city was great but amazed we survived the two miles riding the city streets getting to the pub.

We are headed to The Netherlands later this year and I hear it's great for cycling. But now I hear Amsterdam is dangerous for cycling...because of all the cyclists. SMH!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Taking this further off topic. I love to bike ride but I stick to rail-trails and do it for exercise and fun...not for transportation There are way too many stupid distracted drivers on the roads.

I know a guy who loves to ride and goes out on the roads. I say no way. He says the roads around us are perfectly safe. Then one day he's down the road sitting off to the side. His bike is totaled and he's all road-rashed up. Some kid who was probably looking at her phone and driving too fast ran him down.

I got a buddy who was riding IN THE NATIONAL PARK in Cleveland. A box truck zips past him in a narrow uphill section. I come up on him and he's on the side of the road in a ditch because the truck gave him no clearance and the guy ran him off the road.

I was walking in my neighborhood. 25 MPH speed limits on the roads and no sidewalks. Dude drives right at me and chases me on to somebody's lawn. Like WTF?

Wife and I went to Dayton last summer and rode the rail-trail. We figured we'd hit a pub downtown for lunch. The seventeen miles of rail-trail into the city was great but amazed we survived the two miles riding the city streets getting to the pub.

We are headed to The Netherlands later this year and I hear it's great for cycling. But now I hear Amsterdam is dangerous for cycling...because of all the cyclists. SMH!

Amsterdam is dangerous for pedestrians because of all the cyclists!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00