Proposal: Getting Rogers Arena LOUDER?

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
Your getting on the wrong track. First off I said nothing about getting drunk or people having no life. Second its easier to get tickets through work and just hang around and text on your phone. And third I didn't say tickets were cheap. But **** look at other teams they are always loud and Rogers Arena is like a ghost town. I see other teams that have more enthusiasm in their buildings.

You said that business ppl should sell their tickets to real fans as if the people who currently are paying for and attending the games are some how not real fans. So who are the real fans? Is Mafia muscle dude who sits with his kid behind the Opposition's bench a real fan? Don't see him being loud. Dude with beard who is always beside the opposition's penalty box, is he a real fan? don't see him jumping up and down cheering. Both those guys have laid out some big dollars to support the team this year and previous years but I guess they just aren't fan enough and should sell their tickets to....

So what do you want. People who cheer constantly and for nothing? It is a hockey game and for the most part the cheering is a result of the play on the ice. Do you want people cheering for icings and offsides? Wooohooo it icing Yeeehaw go team go...

Again it really quite simple for all that complain that the building is not loud enough, buy tickets.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
I actually expected more. It was good but not great. Of course I wasn't there so it could just be me. Third period sounded real good though.

That game vs. Boston was louder than the playoffs the last 2 years IMO. Quiet/anxious the start of the game when the Bruins had some good pressure, and then after the dipper from centre, crowd took off.

Even chants going in through commercial breaks.

Edit: Those "TUUUU-KKKKAAA" chants didn't make it through the TV at all, but they were going consistently all night. The low of the "Tuu" doesn't come across tv.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That game vs. Boston was louder than the playoffs the last 2 years IMO. Quiet/anxious the start of the game when the Bruins had some good pressure, and then after the dipper from centre, crowd took off.

This - last time I was at a game this loud was... game... sev.. :cry:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
As someone who works at the Arena, I can tell you that the issue with poor atmosphere is not new. The only way that it's going to improve is for the management to do a complete 180 turn on their policies, and frankly there are just too many factors involved I think to really make it that much better.

First, lets face it, reducing ticket/beer prices is NOT going to happen. A huge amount of revenue comes in from both Ticket Prices and beer. To reduce the ticket prices enough so that 'average joe' can go see the game, you'd need to drop the average ticket prices by AT LEAST $20 per ticket (Minimum). Multiply $20 by 18,910 and again by $41... equals $15.5 million. Simply not going to happen. That's money taken directly from the Canucks pockets. This doesn't even include beer prices.

Second, beer prices doesn't have much impact on how drunk our crowd gets. The beer lineups are constant and to keep up with demand we've even set up portable beer sellers with cans in barrels. The main limiting factor is our license. We can only serve people a set amount at a time, that's why you can only order two small cups of beer at a time. This is all we are allowed to do based on our liquor license. We also have several liquor license employees patrolling the building every event to make sure we're enforcing their policies. We can't even allow people to 'watch' more than 2 beers at a time. This means if you watch your friends 2 beer while they go to the washroom leaving you with 4... we have to pour 2 beer out if we see this. Rediculous? Yes, but if we lose our license, you get no beer and the Canucks don't make their money off that.

The only things that I can see that could help improve the atmosphere in Rogers arena is to do a complete 180 on their views on what is appropriate and not appropriate fan cheering. I'm not talking about swearing, etc... that's a non-starter. I'm talking about simply allowing people... no, encouraging people to be loud at ALL times. As it stands right now, if you're being loud (Not swearing, just constantly cheering, etc), people are told to warn the individual as it's annoying people who are just wanting to watch the game.

The trick is to try to take what we have now and turn it into what the Seahawks have in Seattle. A very loud base of fans where ALL fans feel like they're part of the event and actually matter. NOBODY in Seattle is complaining about noise. Nobody is going to Ushers in Seattle to complain about fans being too loud.

Many years ago the Canucks tried to make the fans feel like it was their right to be involved with the '7th man', but were laughed at, even by those on these forums, and quickly got rid of the promotion. So where do the Canucks go from here? After trying to encourage the fans to be louder... the fans turned around and scoffed at the idea and yet now people complain that nothing is being done.

DJ Dan, I agree... the music selection is terrible. However, I might add that this might not be his fault and instead be the demands from above on what type of music he should play. I'm sure he knows that Metallica Enter Sandman pumps up the crowd more than the Odds...

Again, I would love for nothing else than to see what was going on last night at EVERY game. I would love to hear from opposing players that Vancouver is by far the loudest building and toughest building to play in. But how to get there while keeping in mind that there are families there, fans from all age groups etc. You can't cater to JUST the loud people. The trick is to get the people who are just sitting there to really get more involved and want to get up and join in.

*EDIT* I'd also like to add that I think the only way to change the policies is to do it during the offseason with a massive campaign. Promote the hell out of it on Radio/TV ads basically outright stating "We want you up on your feet for 2.5 hours". From the moment the team takes warmup until the end of the three stars selection. ENCOURAGE people to get up, bang on the glass, shout out chants, etc.... People should NOT be sitting at the game. And if someone complains that someone is standing and they can't see.... tell employees to tell that person to get up. It's not going to fix itself with DJ Dan running the "Get on your feet" MP3. A completely different mindset needs to be brought in for fans.

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I'd even be in favour of bringing in artificial (Fake) fan noise just to get the crowd into it and used to the idea of being able to cheer like mad. At first people might just think people were excited as it's easy to mask the noise as being authentic, and then it would bring people into the mood.

I know when I'm at a game and the crowd is making noise, I start making noise, and I get much more involved and have a lot more fun.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
It's not football. You're not going to scream right before the puck is dropped through each faceoff until the whistle is blown.

What are people even looking for in terms of noise. There's no point in just screaming, stomping your feet, hitting the glass etc. Unless you're going to do that continuously for a whole period, which is never going to happen

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Agree about the standing up thing.

I was standing while the Bure speech was going on and I turned around and everyone was sitting around me. Some looking at me angrily.

I said **** it and kept standing. Eventually people stood up.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009

I was standing while the Bure speech was going on and I turned around and everyone was sitting around me. Some looking at me angrily.

Doesn't that speak to what kind of atmosphere it is.

In their mind, they're going to watch a symphony play, Disney on Ice...

They don't feel the excitement that'll bring them out of their seats

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
As it stands right now, if you're being loud (Not swearing, just constantly cheering, etc), people are told to warn the individual as it's annoying people who are just wanting to watch the game.

That's amazing. I'm at a loss to square that with their emphasis to MAKE SOME NOOOOIIIIIISE!!!!

Many years ago the Canucks tried to make the fans feel like it was their right to be involved with the '7th man', but were laughed at, even by those on these forums, and quickly got rid of the promotion.

They completely misunderstood the point of the ridicule then. The concept was ridiculed because the ceremony introducing the 7th man banner was a complete flop, and from what I recall Brendan Morrison was part of the team during that ceremony, and there was no word on him giving up the jersey number, which only made things even more confusing. In all, it was badly thought-out and poorly planned, and instead of wondering if the fault was theirs, the Canucks concluded that the fans rejected the concept. Well then.

After trying to encourage the fans to be louder... the fans turned around and scoffed at the idea and yet now people complain that nothing is being done.

When did they do such encouragement? What was it? I must have missed it...

DJ Dan, I agree... the music selection is terrible. However, I might add that this might not be his fault and instead be the demands from above on what type of music he should play. I'm sure he knows that Metallica Enter Sandman pumps up the crowd more than the Odds...

What they, and many posters on this thread, don't recognize is that the over-usage of music kills whatever fan-initiated cheering that could occur. Playing Get Lucky instead of Enter Sandman is irrelevant. Either way, they're taking the noise away from the fans, reducing them to mere spectators.

I notice also posters denigrating the idea of cheering an offside or an icing. That points to a complete misunderstanding of the notion of fans being loud and cheering during the course of the game. It's meant to be an action, from which the players react by elevating their game. Instead, some here appear to believe that cheering should only be a reaction to a play. Again, it goes back to the Canucks management successful approach to reduce the fans to mere spectators. We're nothing but ATMs to their eyes.

I posted some videos of hockey fans in Europe. I wish we could ask the players what they think. Would they prefer playing in the current atmosphere, or in the atmosphere shown in those videos?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I posted some videos of hockey fans in Europe. I wish we could ask the players what they think. Would they prefer playing in the current atmosphere, or in the atmosphere shown in those videos?

if they charged the ticket prices that the Canucks are charging here

they wouldn't be getting the type of atmosphere they have over there

It's a whole different demographic of fans

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is why me and going to the rink to watch the games simply doesn't mix.

I don't want atmosphere, I don't really care whether or not the fans are loud, I just want to get into the game.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
if they charged the ticket prices that the Canucks are charging here

they wouldn't be getting the type of atmosphere they have over there

It's a whole different demographic of fans

Ticket prices have nothing to do with it. And yes, of course the demography is different. One's European, the other is North American.

SergioMomesso

Mar 8, 2011
The majority of fans that aren't making noise are too worried that someone they know might see them acting a little crazy. Being at "the game" is apparently cool. But it's not cool to pound back a few beers and let loose at a sporting event. Just because you are a dentist or a lawyer doesn't mean you can't have fun just like a welder or mechanic. We are all there for one reason. To back our boys from the drop of the puck till the final buzzer. If certain fans don't want to be involved vocally they shouldn't judge people who are.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Ticket prices have nothing to do with it. And yes, of course the demography is different. One's European, the other is North American.

One demographic initiates the cheer, the other waits for something to happen for them to cheer

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013

Edit: Those "TUUUU-KKKKAAA" chants didn't make it through the TV at all, but they were going consistently all night. The low of the "Tuu" doesn't come across tv.

just curious if the "dubbbbnyyyk" chants made it through on the game against the OIlers... Because I heard the Tuuka chants on TV wasn't very loud but I heard it

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Doesn't that speak to what kind of atmosphere it is.

In their mind, they're going to watch a symphony play, Disney on Ice...

They don't feel the excitement that'll bring them out of their seats

I had seasons tickets to the Seahawks...let them go when I moved to Carolina (ugh, should have kept them and resold them lol)

anyway, the first time I went to a Seahawks game I couldn't believe we stood for nearly the whole game. I kept waiting for people to sit down so I could sit down but it didn't happen.

Not gonna lie, it was absolutely no fun standing all game. Really wanted to just sit and enjoy the action.

I'm with some of the other posters tho, I wanna go to the Canucks game and get into it and not worry about loudness. Sure, I'll take part in some chants here and there but for the most part I wanna watch the stuff that TV doesn't show.

Last edited:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Just my 2 cents:

I went to two consecutive games, which was pretty awesome cuz I dont get to go very often to Canucks games.

I would try and start chants, and I'd get a few dirty looks, but over-all, my section got going every time.

ENTER: DJ Dumb - BAMBABMBAMBAMBAMABCRAPPYMUSICWHATEVERITISOBNOXIOUSDRUMBBEATANDEXTREMELYLOUDBAMBAMABMABMABAM

Chant? Gone.

Act II: Canucks score. There's cheering. For a few minutes, the fans are loud, the fans are buzzing and talking and into the game.

ENTER: DJ Dumb - BAMBABMBAMBAMBAMABCRAPPYMUSICWHATEVERITISOBNOXIOUSDRUMBBEATANDEXTREMELYLOUDBAMBAMABMABMABAM

....crickets....

DJ needs microphones here and there. He needs to recognize the chants, and get the organ going and egg the crowd on.

Also, get that West Coast Wave rolling on the jumbo-tron. I keep seeing fans trying to get it going, but everyone is too damned sour to stand up..

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
I was in Section 117 for the Bruins game, and some guy was doing his office work.

We scored and he looked up, waved his hands for like 2 seconds and went back to writing numbers.

skeena1

May 15, 2006

If you weren't cheering (it was a speech) and everyone else was sitting down, why were you standing?

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
When I used to go to games in Rexall here in Edmonton I would stand and cheer when there are goals, but I think everyone does that.

I like going to games to watch the actual hockey, I watch the goaltenders closely as I am one myself and just appreciate the level of play. I guess I'd be considered one of those types of fans that are making the arena quiet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad