Proposal: Getting Rogers Arena LOUDER?

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Was at the game last night . First game in Rogers arena in a few years and could not believe how quiet it is.

I felt awkward and out of place when i would cheer loud. Honestly the atmosphere there was not great..

I go to Canuck games in Edmonton and I swear the 1000-2000 Canuck fans in Rexall are louder then the

19,000 at Rogers Arena!

Does this bother any of you? Can we encourage something to show more vocal support?

Nick the Viking

Aug 7, 2006
Republic of Colwood
It's definitely a problem. Too many corporate tickets handed out? (ie not fans of the game but people wanting to simply go to an event or schmooz with other suits)

Unfortunately, not even the White Caps' Southsiders helped: LINK

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
My suggestion is to have the PA system demand the crowd to "make some noise". It's worth a try right?

How about banning cellphones, so people there are actually watching the damn game?

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, I notice it. It's been getting worse and worse every year. Even when the team was amazing in 2011 there wasn't a very good atmosphere. What changed between the WCE era and now? The building used to be quite lively.

Part of the problem is that they play a lot of bad music really loudly during the breaks in play. It basically shouts down anyone that is trying to get some kind of cheer going. People aren't trained seals where you blare Wrecking Ball over the sound system, then shout "PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER" and expect people to get genuinely excited.

Also, I hate to say it, but the booze is too expensive and comes it tiny cups. The most lively buildings are in cities where they sell a lot of beer.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
My suggestion is to have the PA system demand the crowd to "make some noise". It's worth a try right?

How about banning cellphones, so people there are actually watching the damn game?

This I agree with I took a friend last night. Everytime I glanced over....Texting.....Prime seats I had too..

When I cheered loud and showed some enthusiasm I Swear I got dirty looks from people around like I was

ruining the event.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cheaper seats and a product on the ice that isn't boring to watch would help.

Neither is happening. And nobody wants to go to games these days.

and the avalanche game last night was terrible from an entertainment standpoint

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Cheaper seats. Better arena music. (it's NOT a club, it's a hockey game)

Honestly, the difference between sitting in the lower bowl vs. the upper bowl is pretty striking. My Dad was usually able to score us seats in the lower bowl through his work. If I cheered/shouted/jeered/etc., I usually had folks scowling at me.

Sitting in the upper bowl is a completely different story. Loud, rambunctious, fun, more than a tad intoxicated...and I think it comes down to the difference in price for the seats.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
Simple.

vuvu_gettyimges_1656810c.jpg

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
My brother came with me this year, he hadn't been in a few years and he was pissed about how quiet it was.

The early years of the west coast express was the hay day of the loud crowds. It really angers me how quiet the building in.

I also think hitting has been taken out of the game. Rare are the shifts an entire line would go out and make 4-5 thunderous hits and get the crowd going.

It's become a passive game.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I was at a game in September and me and my buddy were ****ing loud.

We had nosebleeds and were pretty drunk, so naturally we thought people would join in.

Everyone was just laughing or telling us to shut up.

This is where we have gotten as a society.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Cheaper seats. Better arena music. (it's NOT a club, it's a hockey game)

Honestly, the difference between sitting in the lower bowl vs. the upper bowl is pretty striking. My Dad was usually able to score us seats in the lower bowl through his work. If I cheered/shouted/jeered/etc., I usually had folks scowling at me.

Sitting in the upper bowl is a completely different story. Loud, rambunctious, fun, more than a tad intoxicated...and I think it comes down to the difference in price for the seats.

Hey man, DJ Dave can't help it if every night he happens to have a feeling that it's gonna be a good good night.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
it's a combination of a bunch of things....

1. not enough drunk people

2. responsible parents who don't drink when they take kids to games

3. bad, bad music

4. lower bowl season ticket holders who aren't overtly impressed with the in-house production because they're at every game. seriously, the same thing over and over again for a STH is monotonous.

5. west coast culture. the prime minister had to remind canadians/vancouverites it's OK to cheer at the olympics!

6. high ticket prices keep out the riff raff

7. to the credit of vancouver fans, they prefer to keep quiet for the most part and watch the games instead of partying. i was at a game in montreal and was amazed at how quiet the crowd was, but they were very intellectual about the game and ooooooo'd and ahhhhhhh'd at all the right times.

Peter Bazooka

Jan 17, 2010
Vancouver Canucks games aren't for having fun and cheering sorry. They're for listening to awful music and texting non-stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad