May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I remember when you were at a game in September :sarcasm:

ShinkarukParents2.jpg

Well played, young man.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
One other thing, there's a lot of people missing in that crowd. I heard some attendance figures (not tickets sold, actual attendance), and apparently some nights as much as 20-25% of the seats sold don't show up.

I had a hard time believing that number, but you can really tell the difference when it's actually a full house versus not. Pretty significant effect on overall noise.

I've noticed just waiting in line for beer. Lots of empty seats mid week. Couple thousand

Ari Gold

Dec 13, 2013
Hollywood
I go to quite a few games a year and although I'm a loud person in life I'm not at the games. I prefer to sit back, take in the action, make up what they should do with the next play etc..

Always been this way, just makes it more enjoyable for me!

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I don't know how the music affects the players, but I know for myself that I have an easier time getting psyched at the gym when I've got harder music going than I do when something soft and melodic is playing.

I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point the in-house team seemed to embrace an image of flowing, inspirational music set to video of slow motion spins and players looking off into the distance, confident in the fact that they were going to play a beautiful oil painting you could frame and hang on your wall. As the woodwind section swells to an uplifting crescendo, a shot of Daniel Sedin slowly looking up in the locker room cuts to a the Canucks jumping for joy on the bench. Their faces tell a story. A story of good hockey and better people. Cut to Luongo kneeling beside a small child, handing the little tot a plush Fin doll. The smile on the child's face is second only to Luongo's. Cue the flutes! Bieksa high fives Higgins. Canucks take the ice.

**** that. Play Battery by Metallica and cut together a video of the Canucks punishing their opponent on the ice and the scoresheet. I still remember getting pumped up as a kid when they came out to Thunderstruck. Any kids in 20 years going to fondly remember U2 (or whatever they play now)?

Mostly agree, though I liked the U2 intro with the horn added in.

Now it's some cheesy intro with this guy with an annoying voice saying "we are CANUCKS! mrah!" but he sounds like Kratos from God of War or some other tough guy from a movie/game with a terrible script.

In reality, it's probably that guy we should have fired years ago. What was his name again? DJ Dave or something?

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
So the suits are slowly leaving and tickets are as cheap as they've been since pre WCE… Why hasn't the noise gone up? Only one that was noticeably loud was maybe Carolina.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So the suits are slowly leaving and tickets are as cheap as they've been since pre WCE… Why hasn't the noise gone up? Only one that was noticeably loud was maybe Carolina.
the premium games are still ridiculously expensive.

there's no cheap seats for the Bruins, Penguins, Hawks, Wings etc.

teams like the Panthers, Canes etc are always going to be cheap

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
I've noticed in years past, DJ Dave would play mostly pop/radio songs and the occasional hockey classic song.... But what I've noticed now, and what I noticed when I went to the Hawks game a couple weeks ago, is that all DJ Dave plays now is Electro House music. I'm fine with it because I listen to this type of music but not when a majority of the fans in the arena don't listen to it all.

Also, while I was sitting in the upper level, a few fans along with my friend and I tried to boo Keith every time he touched the puck. We went all game but nobody else in our section caught on, which is quite sad, because Duncan Keith should be public enemy #1, if not #1b in Vancouver and to see him get no disrespect from our fans after what he's done over the past couple years is just disgraceful.

StilesBC

Sep 10, 2002
North Vancouver
Visit site
I'm fine with all the rich suits paying $300 for a ticket and not paying any attention to the game. It ensures that the org has enough cash to be near the top in payroll. And it ensures that I only watch on TV - which means I eat better, get to be with friends, and spend less money. Win-win.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
Ah, the semi-annual thread when the OP whines about the non-atmosphere at Canucks games, and it takes a slight turn into soccer bashing. Love it.

I'm just going to leave these videos here. Clearly uncultured people who know nothing about hockey.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Tonights crowd was depressing. Why don't these busniess ppl sell the tickets to real fans or better don't buy them. These tickets could be going to hard dedicated fans.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Tonights crowd was depressing. Why don't these busniess ppl sell the tickets to real fans or better don't buy them. These tickets could be going to hard dedicated fans.

Really? I felt it was way better tonight then on sunday. But I was around a good group of people... Taunting Dubnyk was fun!

Had one loud guy near me telling Dubnyk as we taunted his name "ITS ALL YOUR FAULT" was good for a laugh

Even if Oiler games are so called "meaningless" I enjoy them so much love seeing the Oilers lose more then

any other team

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley

It is real easy champ, step up and lay out big bucks for season tickets like those non real fans. It really is that easy.

Seriously I hear this time after time, real fans. As opposed to what? People who pay ridiculous amounts of money for tickets for the year and usually show up wearing team gear which again can be had for just a little chump change. Oh they don't scream and yell all night long, they don't consume enough beer to get rowdy. Want to know why? A lot of them have to get up the next day and head on out the door for the spa or work or something. Fun tickets just fall out of the sky for them I guess.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Just have everybody that wants to cheer, start chants, beat the drums, wave the flags

Have them all grouped into the BUD ZONE in the upper bowl

This isn't a college stadium, why are people expecting a "making noise" environment

Even in European soccer stadiums, from what i can tell, it's mostly the upper bowl & corner cheap seats which has the most rabid fans. They're the ones that are waving the flares, shirts off chanting.

There's gotta be a way to make the BUD ZONE, the Canucks supporter seats

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Just have everybody that wants to cheer, start chants, beat the drums, wave the flags

Have them all grouped into the BUD ZONE in the upper bowl

This isn't a college stadium, why are people expecting a "making noise" environment

Even in European soccer stadiums, from what i can tell, it's mostly the upper bowl & corner cheap seats which has the most rabid fans. They're the ones that are waving the flares, shirts off chanting.

There's gotta be a way to make the BUD ZONE, the Canucks supporter seats

Maybe its not a college Stadium or an NFL stadium or Soccer but its also not a Library and you shouldn't be

able to hear crickets when the music stops in an NHL building that is soldout with 19,000+ fans

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
aren't some saying that the arena was louder back in the early 2000s with the WCE

So what has changed, where did those people go

Did they just get old, and the new wave of youngins' just don't have the same enthusiasm about the team as the folks 10 years ago did. Or maybe they don't show that enthusiasm the same way, and they prefer to stay quiet and watch the game

Think of what the crowd is mostly comprised of nowadays. Families, Suits, Couples that are going out on a date (that treat it like it's going to a museum/ aquarium), immigrants, puck bunnies.
The only time those groups of people will make noise is after a goal is scored, big hit, referee making bad calls.

It's a group mentality. Sometimes you'll see the camera pan to three guys with their shirts off, body painted in blue. Why is it there's only three in that area.
Now imagine if you have a group of those people altogether in the BUD ZONE, then you'll hear noise

big-dortmund%2003.jpg

Hal 9000*

The whole "suit" thing is such a tired cliche that holds no basis in reality. And, even if there was 5,000 (there's not) "suits" sitting quietly, where are the other 15,000 fans? Are the other 15,000 fans scared of being shushed?

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Really? I felt it was way better tonight then on sunday. But I was around a good group of people... Taunting Dubnyk was fun!

Had one loud guy near me telling Dubnyk as we taunted his name "ITS ALL YOUR FAULT" was good for a laugh

Even if Oiler games are so called "meaningless" I enjoy them so much love seeing the Oilers lose more then

any other team

Well at some times it was disappointing.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
It is real easy champ, step up and lay out big bucks for season tickets like those non real fans. It really is that easy.

Seriously I hear this time after time, real fans. As opposed to what? People who pay ridiculous amounts of money for tickets for the year and usually show up wearing team gear which again can be had for just a little chump change. Oh they don't scream and yell all night long, they don't consume enough beer to get rowdy. Want to know why? A lot of them have to get up the next day and head on out the door for the spa or work or something. Fun tickets just fall out of the sky for them I guess.

Your getting on the wrong track. First off I said nothing about getting drunk or people having no life. Second its easier to get tickets through work and just hang around and text on your phone. And third I didn't say tickets were cheap. But **** look at other teams they are always loud and Rogers Arena is like a ghost town. I see other teams that have more enthusiasm in their buildings.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Anyone at this game Live? I had to go back to Alberta missed it :(

Seemed pretty awesome on TV

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I actually expected more. It was good but not great. Of course I wasn't there so it could just be me. Third period sounded real good though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad