Signing(s): Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
There is no salary cap and the Yanks can afford it no problem, so good move.

I would not be surprised if they tried to trade Andujar/Frazer for another 2nd/3rd starting pitcher and moved JA Happ to long relief/spot starts. I would also expect them to re-sign Gardner, especially with Hicks starting the year on the IL.

That would give them a 25-man roster that would look like this:

C Gary Sanchez
1B Luke Voit
2B DJ LeMahieu
3B Gio Urshela
SS Gleyber Torres
RF Aaron Judge
CF Brett Gardner
LF Mike Tauchman
DH Giancarlo Stanton

C Kyle Higashioka
IF Tyler Wade
OF/IF Andujar/Frazer (depending who you keep)

SP Gerrit Cole
SP Luis Severino
SP James Paxton
SP Masahiro Tanaka
SP New Number 2/3

RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Zach Britton
RP Adam Ottavino
RP Tommy Kahle
RP Jonathan Loaisiga
RP JA Happ
RP Chad Green
RP Jordan Montgomery/Jonathan Holder/Luis Cessa

IL Aaron Hicks
Suspended Domingo Herman

Pretty formidable team!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When the Steinbrenners want their guy they sure do get him.

Wow did.Coles performance the last 2 seasons earn him another 200 million.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
As a former Pirates fan, this is why I will never spend another dollar on MLB and haven't for 4 years now.

Why would I pay MLB prices for a minor league team.

Let's see how the Yankees enjoy playing in a 8 team league. Every mid and small market should leave and form their own team with a salary cap and revenue sharing and watch how fast baseball regrows.

Let the yanks, dodgers, sox, cubs, giants, nationals, angels form their own league. Spend as much as you want.

The rest should form a league like the NHL, NFL, and NBA.

Watch which league has more success.

Reactions: Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
As a former Pirates fan, this is why I will never spend another dollar on MLB and haven't for 4 years now.

Why would I pay MLB prices for a minor league team.

Let's see how the Yankees enjoy playing in a 8 team league. Every mid and small market should leave and form their own team with a salary cap and revenue sharing and watch how fast baseball regrows.

Let the yanks, dodgers, sox, cubs, giants, nationals, angels form their own league. Spend as much as you want.

The rest should form a league like the NHL, NFL, and NBA.

Watch which league has more success.
MLB won't have success without those teams.

From 2013-16, NYY had 1 playoff appearance.
From 2013-16, PIT had 3 playoff appearances.

Team success is cyclic in nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
What a stupid contract for a guy who was borderline average before he went under the Houston pitching coach staff. I actually think there is a better chance the Strasburg contract works long term
Upon further reflection, I mostly agree with this. Except for 2015, he was average in Pitt putting up ERA+s of 111, 99, 107, and 100. When you factor in Strasburg's career 130 ERA+, his 2019 playoffs, and the money involved in both contracts, I like Steve's contract better.

Trea Turner is an average, overrated hitter. His last 3 seasons he's put up OPS+s of 101, 100, and 113. His 740 PAs in 2018 made him a much higher rated 2019 fantasy player than he is irl. If Rendon leaves and the Nats don't win another WS, that's a position player issue and not a reflection on Strasburg.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Anyone know how much an agent makes on these type of deals? Got to be at least a couple %.

Boras is swimming in money.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
These teams really don't give a **** what happens a couple years from now.

Yankees fans will likely hate the guy 5-6 years down the road but right now he's the hero.

Of course they will but it's not about 5-6 years from now for them it's about 2020.

When John Tavares signed in Toronto did you go "WOW that contract is really going to suck in 2024."

No you didn't, because that's not relevant although that contract will likely suck in 2024 that's not relevant.

This contract will likely suck in 2026 but it's 2019 right now so who cares

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
With the Yankees having such a strong bullpen, I'd have Cole start every 4 games, but only have him pitch 5 innings each outing

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
MLB won't have success without those teams.

From 2013-16, NYY had 1 playoff appearance.
From 2013-16, PIT had 3 playoff appearances.

Team success is cyclic in nature.
Since 1994 Pirates have had three playoff appearances, two of which were one game "Wildcard" games.

Since 1994 the Yankees have made the post season 21 times and won 5 world series and lost 2.

No comparison. Nothing cyclical about that. There was a great article last year deconstructing baseball and its finances and basically, you have a couple flash in the pans but the fast majority of teams in baseball work as a feeder system for the major league clubs. And that goes with all aspects, scouting, talent, player evaluation and coaching...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad