Signing(s): Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Reports Ryu just signed with Minnesota. I don’t see any of the reliable guys on twitter saying it though

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Yes. This was the big move we wanted for half a decade.

It still guarantees nothing. The bottom line is the playoffs are a massive crapshoot. The Yankees maybe were the 2nd best team on paper this year and might have outplayed Houston yet didn’t win the series. In 2017 they were a very meh team and they caught fire at the right time and most likely would have won the World Series had they found a way to eek out 6 or 7 in Houston

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It still guarantees nothing. The bottom line is the playoffs are a massive crapshoot. The Yankees maybe were the 2nd best team on paper this year and might have outplayed Houston yet didn’t win the series. In 2017 they were a very meh team and they caught fire at the right time and most likely would have won the World Series had they found a way to eek out 6 or 7 in Houston
Nothing is guaranteed in sports. What point are you trying to make?

This move makes them the clear favorites to win it all. A sizable gap over #2.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
That's sort of what Epstein has done with the Cubs. He’s mostly focused on just having a very strong lineup with serviceable pitching. In general there is much lower risk of a position player sustaining serious injuries over and over

epstein signed Lester to a huge contract, Darvish to a huge contract, traded for Quintana... they were all “aces” at the time of acquisition so I don’t see how that’s serviceable pitching. In fact he traded the farm for great pitching in Chapman rental and Quintana. Imagine Torres and Jimenez on that roster.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’s gonna be full blown short bus mode in New York in a few years with these morons in the Bronx and Cohen in Queens givinh out absurd contract after absurd contract and both teams probably won’t win a thing

darko

Feb 16, 2009
epstein signed Lester to a huge contract, Darvish to a huge contract, traded for Quintana... they were all “aces” at the time of acquisition so I don’t see how that’s serviceable pitching. In fact he traded the farm for great pitching in Chapman rental and Quintana. Imagine Torres and Jimenez on that roster.

Exactly

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The Yankees should have to switch divisions every year. That's a ludicrous amount of money that nobody can match.

Oct 18, 2011
Although I really wanted the Angels to sign him I don't blame them for not giving out such an absurd contract these pitching contracts are such a crapshoot

Quite honestly it makes more sense for the Yanks to do this, they're ready to win now. LAA isn't

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Scott Boras rn
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Roman Fell

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Coming from the guy who has repeatedly ripped the Pujols deal. This is the same thing
No, it isn't. This team needs an ace pitcher more than anything, and this was our last opportunity to get one for the foreseeable future. The next three seasons minimum for this team are going to be ugly.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
angels will for sure try to get bumgarner now. although i can't envision him signing with an AL team since he likes to hit

with rendon and donaldson connected to teams like the rangers and angels the AL west could feature 4 of the top 3B in all of baseball

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
All the power to the Yankees for going out and getting their man, I have to respect that. While on that note, this contract probably won’t age well and who knows what their ability to retain their current players in a few years will be.

Honestly, if I were an Angels fan, I wouldn’t be upset about this at all. That team has multiple holes and might be better off getting Rendon+Ryu for less than what Cole signed for, or even some combination of Donaldson and 2 pitchers.

Oct 18, 2011
All the power to the Yankees for going out and getting their man, I have to respect that. While on that note, this contract probably won’t age well and who knows what their ability to retain their current players in a few years will be.

Honestly, if I were an Angels fan, I wouldn’t be upset about this at all. That team has multiple holes and might be better off getting Rendon+Ryu for less than what Cole signed for, or even some combination of Donaldson and 2 pitchers.
Agreed. Also the Angel aren't ready to win in the next two years...so when does Cole really become worth the money for them? Yanks are ready now so I get it for them

Oct 18, 2011
No, it isn't. This team needs an ace pitcher more than anything, and this was our last opportunity to get one for the foreseeable future. The next three seasons minimum for this team are going to be ugly.
It's a similar contract that probably won't age well after the first 3 years. You can't rip them for not repeating a mistake they already made before

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For the Yankees this is a win now move. You pay the premium for the bad years at the end of the contract, for the chance to win a WS next year and possibly the year after that.

They have the lineup and the bullpen to win right now. They needed the starting pitching.

It didn’t make sense for the Angels to match that as others have said. They aren't ready to win now. When would that contract actually start paying off for them? Would it ever?

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad