Signing(s): Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Anyone know how much an agent makes on these type of deals? Got to be at least a couple %.

Boras is swimming in money.

4-6% IIRC. A super agent like Boras is getting 6 for sure, plus a cut of any endorsement deals he negotiates. Also dont forget he owns his agency so everyone under him sends some up the ladder too.

Strasburg 35M AAV to age 38
Cole 36M AAVto age 38

Basically the same thing when you break down the deals. Cole is 2 years younger, he got 2 more years and 1M more in aav.

Cole has also been pretty healthy and never had Tommy John surgery, plus obviously less mileage on his arm.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
if they can get rendon it'll save their offseason

but they'd still have a major void in their starting rotation

Go after Ryu and Bumgarner. They needed TOR arms but they also needed more than one. If you can't get the top guy on the market then go get depth. Sometimes being terrible is a good position in that everything needs an upgrade.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
if they can get rendon it'll save their offseason

but they'd still have a major void in their starting rotation
I’m not convinced Rendon makes them a playoff team. He is awesome, but they’re big issue is still a lack of front line starters. And sure they could go out and get Bumgarner, or Ryu, or trade for Price or someone else. But missing on Stras and Cole feels like a major loss.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
As a former Pirates fan, this is why I will never spend another dollar on MLB and haven't for 4 years now.

Why would I pay MLB prices for a minor league team.

Let's see how the Yankees enjoy playing in a 8 team league. Every mid and small market should leave and form their own team with a salary cap and revenue sharing and watch how fast baseball regrows.

Let the yanks, dodgers, sox, cubs, giants, nationals, angels form their own league. Spend as much as you want.

The rest should form a league like the NHL, NFL, and NBA.

Watch which league has more success.

Well they won't for as long as smaller teams pocket $$$.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
team has multiple holes. If they got Rendon the middle of the lineup would be pretty stout
It's a really good lineup. But it doesn't address their need for pitching which they've had for most of Trout's career. Will Arte be willing to spend to bring in say, Bumgarner and Keuchel, plus Betances or Will Harris? If they can do something along those lines I think thats a good consolation to Cole or Strasburg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Go after Ryu and Bumgarner. They needed TOR arms but they also needed more than one. If you can't get the top guy on the market then go get depth. Sometimes being terrible is a good position in that everything needs an upgrade.

Could probably get Price for cheap and get the BoSox to retain/pay a good portion of his salary.

Not the best option but it’s something if nothing else works out

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's a lot for a guy to pitch 6 innings every 5 days. I'd rather sign or trade for an every day player such as Betts for that kind of cheddar.

The Yankees' roster is set everywhere else, though. Starting pitching has been the team's Achilles heel for a while. They've been looking for trades, and the cost was always prohibitive. They've got their ace now, and it didn't cost them anything but money.

This move is about winning pennants. The rest of the roster has been ready to compete at that level. The pitching hasn't. Now it is (or should be, at least).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The Yankees' roster is set everywhere else, though. Starting pitching has been the team's Achilles heel for a while. They've been looking for trades, and the cost was always prohibitive. They've got their ace now, and it didn't cost them anything but money.

This move is about winning pennants. The rest of the roster has been ready to compete at that level. The pitching hasn't. Now it is (or should be, at least).
Pitching was fine in 2017 and 2019. The offense stunk it up.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Pitching was fine in 2017 and 2019. The offense stunk it up.

eh, as a yankees fan i would concede it was more the astros' rotation just dominating us.

in 2017 they scored 29 runs in six games against the twins and indians, followed by 22 runs in seven games against the astros.
in 2019 they scored 23 runs in three games against the twins, followed by 21 runs in six games against the astros.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
eh, as a yankees fan i would concede it was more the astros' rotation just dominating us.

in 2017 they scored 29 runs in six games against the twins and indians, followed by 22 runs in seven games against the astros.
in 2019 they scored 23 runs in three games against the twins, followed by 21 runs in six games against the astros.
They rarely scored a run at Houston. The hitters blew it.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As a Pirates fan I felt that Cole had some issues with mental toughness, I'll be interested in seeing how he handles being in the Yankees pressure cooker, I can see him having some challenges

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad