International: German Junior National Teams

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Are there any players who maybe will have a NHL-future like the 2004er Lutz, Kechter and Hafenrichter?

I am honestly not sure. Due to COVID, most of these players missed an entire season (or more) of development. This also meant that I had no chance to see any of these guys or get any information on them over the last year and a half.

I hope this tournament will give be a better idea about some of their potential.

After the 18-19 season I was intrigued by Chris Kirschenbauer, Linus Brandl and Alexander Vladelchtchikov.
Based of what I have seen so far in this tournament I would add Paul Vinzens, Jonas Fischer, Leon Willerscheid and Julius Sumpf to that list.
However I don't see anyone on the level of Lutz or Kechter so far, but I will need a lot more viewings and information, before I can be sure. So take this with a massive grain of salt for now.
Right now I am not that comfortable with my assessments on such small sample sizes, and it will probably take until the end of this season, before I'll be somewhat confident.
As it stands now I could see some of these guys with chances to be drafted in mid-to-late rounds, whereas some of the 04s may end up with a chance to be taken in the earlier rounds.

Reactions: Fabianski

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Since the German game against the Americans was forfeited due to 2 players testing positive for Covid; here’s what I though about some of the better performances from the u-17 5 nations tournament.

Edwin Troppman:
Is real effective in the offensive zone, especially the PP, makes smart crisp passes through the slot and is good at holding the line. He was rather physical for a smaller guy too and even laid out a bigger Czech forward while staying on his feet.

Jonas Fischer:
Good skater with size, has a shiftiness to his game. Very smart player that doesn’t give up on the play, I was really impressed in the Switzerland game when he turned on the jets as a Swiss player was a about to receive an outlet pass for a partial break and he broke up a saucer pass mid air with one hand on his stick. Was the best player on the ice against the Swiss too, could have had 2 more goals in that game alone.

Paul Mayer:
Good skater with good gap control. Has real good poise, and seldom panics with the puck. Smart hockey player who knows how to move the puck well. Him and Troppman were clearly a notch better than the rest of the German defenders. On his EP page he is listed at 5’11” but looked closer to 6’2” in the tournament; which makes sense since his father was 6’4”. I believe he is probably the best of the ‘05’s going forward.

Paul Vinziens:
You can tell the skill is there with him, he’s a real good skater and seems to have a good motor. I find he’s a bit selfish at times and try’s to do too much. His line with Stauf and Fischer was real good by far Germany’s best. Definitely a guy i’m keep an eye on this season.

Julius Stauf:
The third of the three players that formed Germany’s first line. I admittedly hadn’t heard of this guy before the tournament but I was impressed with him and his game.

Other guys showed flashes here and there:
Ruckdäschel would make a good play then be quiet for the rest of the period but the talent is there. Kopietz has good hockey IQ but at times struggled to keep up with the play. I thought Kinzel had a good tournament but almost everyone he went up against when bringing the puck into the offensive zone would bully him off the puck because he’s so small. I also thought the goalies played well, but i’m not a good evaluator of goaltending really so I usually leave them out of things like this.

I’m going to need to see them play more this upcoming season but I feel as if this group is promising. Not as good as Germany’s ‘02 group, and likely not as good as the ‘04 crop but there is potential here.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Since the German game against the Americans was forfeited due to 2 players testing positive for Covid; here’s what I though about some of the better performances from the u-17 5 nations tournament.

Edwin Troppman:
Is real effective in the offensive zone, especially the PP, makes smart crisp passes through the slot and is good at holding the line. He was rather physical for a smaller guy too and even laid out a bigger Czech forward while staying on his feet.

Jonas Fischer:
Good skater with size, has a shiftiness to his game. Very smart player that doesn’t give up on the play, I was really impressed in the Switzerland game when he turned on the jets as a Swiss player was a about to receive an outlet pass for a partial break and he broke up a saucer pass mid air with one hand on his stick. Was the best player on the ice against the Swiss too, could have had 2 more goals in that game alone.

Paul Mayer:
Good skater with good gap control. Has real good poise, and seldom panics with the puck. Smart hockey player who knows how to move the puck well. Him and Troppman were clearly a notch better than the rest of the German defenders. On his EP page he is listed at 5’11” but looked closer to 6’2” in the tournament; which makes sense since his father was 6’4”. I believe he is probably the best of the ‘05’s going forward.

Paul Vinziens:
You can tell the skill is there with him, he’s a real good skater and seems to have a good motor. I find he’s a bit selfish at times and try’s to do too much. His line with Stauf and Fischer was real good by far Germany’s best. Definitely a guy i’m keep an eye on this season.

Julius Stauf:
The third of the three players that formed Germany’s first line. I admittedly hadn’t heard of this guy before the tournament but I was impressed with him and his game.

Other guys showed flashes here and there:
Ruckdäschel would make a good play then be quiet for the rest of the period but the talent is there. Kopietz has good hockey IQ but at times struggled to keep up with the play. I thought Kinzel had a good tournament but almost everyone he went up against when bringing the puck into the offensive zone would bully him off the puck because he’s so small. I also thought the goalies played well, but i’m not a good evaluator of goaltending really so I usually leave them out of things like this.

I’m going to need to see them play more this upcoming season but I feel as if this group is promising. Not as good as Germany’s ‘02 group, and likely not as good as the ‘04 crop but there is potential here.

One correction (I have to be that guy):
The last name of the third player (center) on the first line is Sumpf not Stauf.

From what I have seen so far (I have not yet seen the game against the Czechs) I agree with most of what you are saying. I was a little less impressed with Tropmann. Offensively he was pretty good, but there were a few questionable plays in his own zone including a shockingly careless play where he got bailed out big time by his Cologne teammate Leon Willerscheid who made a great stop.
But that doesn't mean there is not a lot to like about him. I definitely want to see some more from him.
Too bad his defenisve partner Vladelchtchikov is so small. This will likely hold him back a bit. He is a good skater and a good QB on the power play, but he is too easily overpowered by bigger forwards.

If I have the time I'll go back and watch all three games over the weekend and then share my thoughts on all the players.

Reactions: Leaves34

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I did not get around to re-watch the games of the U17 tournament last weekend, due to some health issues. I did manage to re-watch the game vs. Switzerland yesterday, and am watching the game vs. Slovakia right now. Hopefully I can watch the last game (vs. CZE) tomorrow, and then post my observations. I am pretty confident I will be able to do that, unless my doctor calls with bad news.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, I finished watching the games of the U17 tournament in Visp yesterday and here are some of my observations. This is going to be a long one. ;)

Let's start with the goalies, the position I know so little about and am terrible at judging. Although maybe I am getting a little better at least I have been trying to educate myself. Still, take this with a grain of salt:

I actually liked both goalies, who played in this tournament. The first two games it was Leon Willerscheid, who I thought tracked the puck fairly well through traffic, had good positioning and made some spectacular saves. He also did really well on breakaways, although he sometimes played too deep in his crease for my liking. Another area I thought he needs to improve, was his recovery. Several times he would end up down on the ice or to the side of his net, and take a long time to get back up while the play continued. Maybe, each time he thought he had the puck?
What he seemed to do really well was playing the puck.

The final game Nico Pertuch was playing in goal. His style looked very different. There was a lot less movement, he looked big, calm and almost stoic. He lacks a bit of quickness and agility/flexibility it seems, but he plays the angles pretty well. I noticed one time where his angle was off, but other than that I thought he did really well in that area. He had fewer “big saves” but made almost no mistakes (a couple of rebounds that were too juicy, but nothing too bad). Unlike Willerscheid he seemed less proficient at playing the puck, but on the other hand his recovery was really quick. It was interesting to watch him move so little and so deliberately most of the time, but when he had to go down to make a save or was drawn out of position he suddenly “exploded” and with a few very quick moves he was back up and in position.

Next up defense:
Most of the defensemen did not really stand out and when they did it was not necessarily in a good way, but because the made a little mistake or got walked. But nobody was really terrible, just at times overmatched. I’ll focus on the three defensemen that stood out to me the most and showed the most promise.

First off, there does not seem to be the next Seider in this group, but for the most part I really liked Paul Mayer, and I saw a few things that reminded me of Max Glötzl and Luca Münzenberger respectively, which is not a bad thing. He has decent size, though he does not play very physical, and plays a fundamentally sound game. He skates well enough, though he would need to improve a bit if he really wants to make it to the next level. There was the odd mistake here and there, but for the most part his decision making stood out in a very good way. Same goes for his outlet passes and his passing in general. He played a very smart and very controlled game and was the best and most consistent defenseman by a fair margin.

Edvin Tropmann also showed a lot of good stuff and some promising skill. I liked his play in the offensive zone better than his play in his own zone, where he was prone to make some mistakes, but not to the point where I would call his defensive game a liability. He needs to improve in this area, but he has the tools to do so. He skates well for his size (though he is not exactly huge), he has good vision and offensive awareness and does well on the break out pass. He plays with a bit of an edge and does not shy away from physical play, the downside of that is it can lead to unnecessary penalties at times, but it should suit him well at the next level and as he gets older, when physical play becomes a bit more acceptable. I also liked what I saw of his shot. However, all of our defensemen shot very little. He is a right shot, but played on the left side. I don’t know if it is the same when he plays for Cologne so he is used to it, or if he had to adjust for this tournament which could explain some of his defensive miscues.

Tropmann’s defensive partner was Alexander Vladelchtchikov, who also plays for Cologne and is also a right shot (I don’t know if they also play together for their home team). You immediately see that Vladelchtchikov lacks size which will likely hold him back. At least for now he is too easily outmuscled and pushed aside. On the plus side he is a very good and fast skater and usually knows where he needs to be on the ice. His transition game is really good as he can pass the puck out of his zone very well, but also carry it up the ice safely and quickly due to his skating ability (agility, speed and acceleration) and stick handling. I often thought he would do well as a forward. He also did well as a power play QB distributing the puck and walking the blue line. Defensively he struggled at times, mostly because of his physical limitations, as mentioned before, but he would also take some unnecessary risks at times which left his teammates exposed when he did not succeed.

Now for the forwards. There are bunch of them that were interesting, but again not really anybody that screamed “the next Stützle, Reichel or Peterka”.

I’ll start with the first guy I noticed, Jonas Fischer. He was exceptional/brilliant/outstanding (pick whichever term you like) against Switzerland. There I thought he may be the next top prospect for Germany. He was skating like the wind, just overpowering his opponents. He also showed good playmaking abilities and did well on the forecheck. Honestly there was nothing not to like about his game in that match. He was a real game changer and drove the play almost every time he stepped on the ice. Unfortunately, he could not replicate that performance against the Slovaks and the Czechs. Don’t get me wrong, he still flashed his skill and had his moments, but it seemed like the opponents had prepared for him and played a much tighter game against him than the Swiss did. They were also more physical against Fischer which he did not seem to like.

Fischer’s linemates also stood out in a good way overall.
Paul Vinzens was more of the line driver in the latter two games and also excelled on the forecheck in every game. He is a good skater, and plays a smart, dynamic game. His vision and playmaking ability are also above average. Some times he was trying to do a little too much, but you could see that from almost all the forwards.

The center of the first line was Julius Sumpf and he played a similar game to Vinzens, though I liked his stick-handling a bit better. Sumpf was strong on the forecheck and also backchecked well. It also stood out for all 3 members of the first line, that there forecheck was well structured and quite tenacious at the same time. Like his linemates Sumpf is a good skater and he also did well defensively for the most part using his stick effectively when defending in his own zone. I am not entirely sure what to make of his shot. It seemed fine and kind of sneaky good at times, but then a little underwhelming a few minutes later. I want to see more of it, before I make a judgment on it.

In the first two games Timo Ruckdäschel played with Kevin Bicker and Linus Brandl (more on them later). Ruckdäschel was a little frustrating to watch, because every now and then he would flash some pretty impressive skill, showing off his stickhandling and puck-protection abilities. He is also a decent enough skater. At times though it seemed that he was playing with a bit of tunnel vision, not utilizing his linemates as well as he could have. There is clearly a decent amount of skill there, but he left me wanting more. Not the greatest performance, but certainly someone to keep an eye on.

Kevin Bicker was very noticeable, mostly in a good way, but also had a couple of blunders, where he just made the wrong decision. He played very aggressive with lots of tenacity on the forecheck and was very good, and very dangerous on the penalty kill. He skates very well and uses his speed and agility to put pressure on the opposing puck carrier and forces turnovers. In the offensive zone he uses quick turns and good stick-handling to create some separation for himself to either find a teammate or go for a shot on goal himself. Like most of the forwards his finishing ability could use some work.

Linus Brandl was one the more physical forwards on the team and played a pretty good 200ft game. He did well on both the forecheck and the backcheck and also handled himself well when he killed penalties. He doesn’t have any stand-out skills, but also not really glaring weakness. I don’t think he will necessarily be “THE” guy on any team, but he is a very useful and valuable player to have on your team. He has enough skill and offense to cause some problems, but enough grit and defensive acumen to help his team on that side of the game as well. I am curious to see how his game will develop. Very interesting player.

Another interesting player is Vadim Schreiner who is a good skater with an intriguing skillset of good stickhandling, agility and creativity. He lacked a little bit of vision or maybe it was just that his execution of his pass attempts was a bit off, but Schreiner did a lot of things right it just always seemed like that final pass from or to him would not connect. With a little more luck, he could have had a couple of points.

And last but certainly not least, Chris Kirschenbauer. He missed the game against Slovakia, but in the two games he played he showed a lot of stuff that is not flashy and does not show up in the boxscore, but is important for the team. His skating (at least with regard to speed and acceleration) seemed a little underwhelming and I think he needs to improve that quite a bit, but he played extremely smart and mature in my opinion. He had his best moments breaking up attacks by the opposing team, winning pucks and starting the transition game. I never saw him out of position or missing his defensive assignments. If his offense develops some more and he can keep up the same level of defensive play and commitment, he could turn into quite the player.

So those are my thoughts based on this small sample size of three games at one tournament.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Looking at the U20, U18 and U17 rosters, I must say the U17s are the most interesting to me. That D group could be just what Germany needs long-term. The 03 D group is pretty bad, the 04s look awful too – if the DEB didn’t go strictly by birth year, I wouldn’t mind seeing Niehus, Meyer, Tropmann, maybe Vladelchtchikov with the U18 team instead.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Tough showing today for German 04s as they were erased by Belarus 0:5

The 04s are way too thin to compensate for missing 5 of their best players (Lutz, Kechter, Hafenrichter, Bettahar and Elias).
I guess Belarus were also short some of their best, and they would likely have won anyway.
A couple of years ago the 04s looked pretty promising, but since then they have not progressed as well as I had hoped.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The 04s are way too thin to compensate for missing 5 of their best players (Lutz, Kechter, Hafenrichter, Bettahar and Elias).
I guess Belarus were also short some of their best, and they would likely have won anyway.
A couple of years ago the 04s looked pretty promising, but since then they have not progressed as well as I had hoped.

This is the team that is currently in Piestany:
U18-Nationalmannschaft | Deutscher Eishockey-Bund e.V.

A lot of recognizable names on that team. Kauhanen, Köttsdorfer and Oswald are definitely the sons of former pros. I think a few others are too.

I was hoping that Assavolyuk and Rollinger would make an offensive impact here. None yet.

U20:
I'm not sure if this will work (for everyone), but here's supposedly a link for GER vs SVK at the 4 Nations Tournament in Norway - 3 pm CET: https://tv.hockey.no/no/home

I think you have to sign up and it doesn't look like you need to pay anything, but my Norwegian is a bit rusty.

U17:
The U17 team lost 6-3 against France, in France. Sadly, the team was actually up 3-0. YIKES!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This is the team that is currently in Piestany:
U18-Nationalmannschaft | Deutscher Eishockey-Bund e.V.

A lot of recognizable names on that team. Kauhanen, Köttsdorfer and Oswald are definitely the sons of former pros. I think a few others are too.

I was hoping that Assavolyuk and Rollinger would make an offensive impact here. None yet.

I spoke a bit too soon. Germany defeated Slovakia today 3-1 and not only did each score, but Rollinger got the apple on Assavolyuk's goal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Weekend update:
The U20 team won the 4 Nations Tournament in Norway after regulation wins over NOR and SUI and an OT loss to SVK.
The U18 team finished 2nd to Belarus at the 4 Nations Tournament in Slovakia after regulation wins over DEN and SVK following a 5-0 loss to BLR.
The U17 finished, well, last at the tourney in France and it wasn't pretty. A 6-3 loss to France after being up 3-0. Then a 4-1 loss to the Swiss and 8-1 trouncing from Slovakia.

All eyes can now watch what goes down as the WJC approaches.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Weekend update:
The U20 team won the 4 Nations Tournament in Norway after regulation wins over NOR and SUI and an OT loss to SVK.
The U18 team finished 2nd to Belarus at the 4 Nations Tournament in Slovakia after regulation wins over DEN and SVK following a 5-0 loss to BLR.
The U17 finished, well, last at the tourney in France and it wasn't pretty. A 6-3 loss to France after being up 3-0. Then a 4-1 loss to the Swiss and 8-1 trouncing from Slovakia.

All eyes can now watch what goes down as the WJC approaches.
Very surprised by the U17 result. My previous post didn’t age well.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
I think you have to sign up and it doesn't look like you need to pay anything, but my Norwegian is a bit rusty.

Sign up for free. In the main menu there is an option to switch to the English language. On the top right, the three horizontal bars. Scandinavians are basically fit and well in English.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I hope there will be streams for the tournament. Would be very interested to see some of these kids, that I have never seen before like Otto Sodian and a couple of others.
Also interesting that there are three U17 players on this team. A little surprised that neither Paul Mayer nor Paul Vinzens were among the U17 players who got invited, but I also really like Tropmann and Sumpf and while I am slightly lower on Bicker he is still a very interesting player and I would love to see more of him, because my sample size is still so small.

As always I would be looking forward to see the kids from the RB Academy, that I don't get to watch outside of these tournaments. And of course I want to see what Kechter, Hauf and Rollinger can do.

Definitely and interesting roster.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
After watching the first of 3 exhibition games between Switzerland and Czechia U17: Germany definitely doesn't have to finish last at the 5 Nations in Colorado Springs... Switzerland was completely dominated, barely had a chance. Will be tough to beat Czechia with guys like Benak, Kral, Galvas and Jiricek. No idea about Slovakia.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Besides the U17 tournament in the US, the U20 World Juniors and the U18 Hlinka Cup, the U16 is also having their annual camp ("Sichtungslehrgang") at the start of August. These are the kids that were invited:

Pos.NachnameVornameGeb.-Dat.Verein 2022/23
GKOswaldBartholomäus04.02.2007EHC Klostersee
GKPfabNoah14.06.2007EHC Bayreuth
GKSaffranKimi16.07.2007Düsseldorfer EG
GKKuklokSean04.09.2007Iserlohner EC
DFBleicherMax14.02.2007EV Füssen
DFWijackiCedrik02.02.2007Red Bull Hockey Akademie
DFWredeMax09.04.2007Krefelder EV 81
DFHempelNiclas20.08.2007EHC Freiburg
DFHausfelderTimo05.09.2007Eisbären Juniors Berlin
DFHarrMatthias11.10.2007EV Landshut
DFHamoriLars01.03.2007ETC Crimmitschau
DFHoffmannMarc Nikita28.09.2007Jungadler Mannheim
DFBickerAlbert30.05.2007EHC Nürnberg
DFWarneckeMoritz07.10.2007EHC Wolfsburg
DFSchäferEdgar26.05.2007Kölner EC
DFKrügerFelix21.08.2007ESC Dresden
DFStockPhilipp02.06.2007Kölner EC
DFWischnenkoErik26.02.2007Jungadler Mannheim
DFKoseFabio03.1.2007EHC Straubing
DFSchlosserSimon30.06.2007Starbulls Rosenheim
FWBrandtTobin28.02.2007Iserlohner EC
FWRootDenis03.09.2007Jungadler Mannheim
FWKesslerNikita13.01.2007Red Bull Salzburg
FWWächterFinley06.06.2007Kölner EC
FWSchneiderElias08.07.2007Starbulls Rosenheim
FWWerleLennox16.10.2007Jungadler Mannheim
FWZiergiebelMax03.05.2007Kölner EC
FWGrinAndreas12.11.2007EHC Nürnberg
FWKronhardtStanislav19.08.2007Iserlohner EC
FWSchäferMaxim17.05.2007EHC Nürnberg
FWGrivaRihards08.06.2007Jungadler Mannheim
FWGavrilukDaniel12.04.2007EHC Straubing
FWSpäth MariscalMateu20.02.2007EC Bad Tölz
FWFomenkoAwrelij16.11.2007ESC Dresden
FWStockerGregor31.05.2007Starbulls Rosenheim
FWPohleKarl10.01.2007Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWNaumannLasse12.03.2007Kölner EC
FWKaufmannJustus20.04.2007Red Bull Salzburg
FWLangmeierPepino-Maximilian02.12.2007Red Bull Salzburg
FWGrivaGustavs08.06.2007Jungadler Mannheim
FWLewandowskiDavid20.02.2007Düsseldorfer EG
FWMikhalevichDavid27.07.2007Eisbären Juniors Berlin
FWZwicklSebastian27.03.2007Starbulls Rosenheim
FWArztJason07.02.2007EV Regensburg

I always like to use the rosters for this camp as a guide for players I may want to add to my "watchlist" of players to keep an eye on. It's always interesting to see how many of them I was already aware of, and how many come a bit out of the blue.
Three names I would have expected to be invited, but are not on this list are Timo Kose (his twin-brother is there), Marc Blank and Matteo Schroth. I have no idea if they were not deemed good enough, or if there are other reasons (health or personal)?

Obviously the three 07s on the roster for the U17 team (Händel, Willhöft and Stuhrmann) will miss this camp as well.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Rough Hlinka - just goes to show how far behind Germany is at the younger levels.

Only 5 goals scored while we gave up 23, that’s an -18 goal differential.

Some solid preformamces from our side from Kevin Bicker most notably

Also Linus Brandl who had a point on every goal scored, he wasn’t the most noticeable player per say but he put up totals regardless.

Our offensive zone breakouts with Paul Mayer on the ice vs without him were night and day and he played a lot of defensive minutes against the other teams top offensive players.

Norwin Panocha was a guy that got better as the tournament progressed and was the clear second best defender for the Germans

Dean Doge came into the tournament as the #3 guy but quickly became the #1 after uninspiring preformances from Pertuch and Willerschied.

Most everyone else there isn’t much to write home about unfortunately.

Reactions: KahunWOW

Fabianski

Feb 5, 2021
Rough Hlinka - just goes to show how far behind Germany is at the younger levels.

Only 5 goals scored while we gave up 23, that’s an -18 goal differential.

Some solid preformamces from our side from Kevin Bicker most notably

Also Linus Brandl who had a point on every goal scored, he wasn’t the most noticeable player per say but he put up totals regardless.

Our offensive zone breakouts with Paul Mayer on the ice vs without him were night and day and he played a lot of defensive minutes against the other teams top offensive players.

Norwin Panocha was a guy that got better as the tournament progressed and was the clear second best defender for the Germans

Dean Doge came into the tournament as the #3 guy but quickly became the #1 after uninspiring preformances from Pertuch and Willerschied.

Most everyone else there isn’t much to write home about unfortunately.
Do you know, why Edwin Tropmann didn´t join the team?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Was informed by @pgfan66 he is dealing with an injury, unfortunately. I have high hopes he makes the December u20 team, however.

Dunno about that. He'll have to really have a strong fall.

He's definitely scheduled to be a cog for the U18. No doubt about that. Dück was very happy with his U18 and how he forced his way into the line-up, all the way to PP duty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad