International: German Junior National Teams

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Dunno about that. He'll have to really have a strong fall.

He's definitely scheduled to be a cog for the U18. No doubt about that. Dück was very happy with his U18 and how he forced his way into the line-up, all the way to PP duty.

I was curious and looked into how often we had double underagers on our U20 teams.

Since 2000 these were the players that did it. Obviously there are factors, like the quality and depth of the older eligible players that have an impact on this:

2021-22:
Luca Hauf (Though I think nobody made the original team for the traditional winter tournament)

2020-21
- nobody -

2019-20:
Tim Stützle
Lukas Reichel
JJ Peterka

2018-19:
Moritz Seider

2017-18:
Moritz Seider (even did it as triple underager)
Hendrik Hane
Dominik Bokk

2016-17:
Leon Gawanke

2015-16:
Tobias Eder

2014-15:
- nobody -

2013-14:
Maximilian Kammerer

2012-13:
Leon Draisaitl
Dominik Kahun
Frederik Tiffels

2011-12:
- nobody -

2010-11:
Tobias Rieder
Nick Latta

2009-10:
Konrad Abeltshauser
Dominik Bittner
Mirko Höfflin
Tobias Rieder (triple underager)

2008-09:
Philipp Grubauer

2007-08:
Jerome Flaake
Toni Ritter
Daniel Weiß

2006-07:
Timo Pielmeier

2005-06:
- nobody -

2004-05:
Felix Schütz

2003-04:
Thomas Greiss

2002-03:
Kai Hospelt
Marcus Kink

2001-02:
- nobody -

2000-01:
Dimitri Pätzold
Marcel Goc
Martin Hinterstocker

We'll see if Tropmann or anyone else will join this list.

Reactions: KahunWOW

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I was curious and looked into how often we had double underagers on our U20 teams.

Since 2000 these were the players that did it. Obviously there are factors, like the quality and depth of the older eligible players that have an impact on this:

2021-22:
Luca Hauf (Though I think nobody made the original team for the traditional winter tournament)

2020-21
- nobody -

2019-20:
Tim Stützle
Lukas Reichel
JJ Peterka

2018-19:
Moritz Seider

2017-18:
Moritz Seider (even did it as triple underager)
Hendrik Hane
Dominik Bokk

2016-17:
Leon Gawanke

2015-16:
Tobias Eder

2014-15:
- nobody -

2013-14:
Maximilian Kammerer

2012-13:
Leon Draisaitl
Dominik Kahun
Frederik Tiffels

2011-12:
- nobody -

2010-11:
Tobias Rieder
Nick Latta

2009-10:
Konrad Abeltshauser
Dominik Bittner
Mirko Höfflin
Tobias Rieder (triple underager)

2008-09:
Philipp Grubauer

2007-08:
Jerome Flaake
Toni Ritter
Daniel Weiß

2006-07:
Timo Pielmeier

2005-06:
- nobody -

2004-05:
Felix Schütz

2003-04:
Thomas Greiss

2002-03:
Kai Hospelt
Marcus Kink

2001-02:
- nobody -

2000-01:
Dimitri Pätzold
Marcel Goc
Martin Hinterstocker

We'll see if Tropmann or anyone else will join this list.

You never cease to amaze me, Maverick!

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
You never cease to amaze me, Maverick!

Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I love doing whenever I have the time.

Or in a case like today, when work has gotten too monotone and just tiresome, I really enjoy taking a little break doing something like this (shoutout to eliteprospects, because their database made it real easy). Afterwards it is back to work, and I actually end up getting more done this way. And now, with today's work done, unless something new comes up, I can chill (poor word choice in this heat) and enjoy the rest of the day.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I love doing whenever I have the time.

Or in a case like today, when work has gotten too monotone and just tiresome, I really enjoy taking a little break doing something like this (shoutout to eliteprospects, because their database made it real easy). Afterwards it is back to work, and I actually end up getting more done this way. And now, with today's work done, unless something new comes up, I can chill (poor word choice in this heat) and enjoy the rest of the day.
You are like me, I have various stats for Croatian hockey (and NT) in my excel sheets :) Sure, I am far from slovenian TV guy (Andrej Stare) who has near 5000 excel sheets of various stats, but truth to be told, he is doing it for all sports not just hockey.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
You are like me, I have various stats for Croatian hockey (and NT) in my excel sheets :) Sure, I am far from slovenian TV guy (Andrej Stare) who has near 5000 excel sheets of various stats, but truth to be told, he is doing it for all sports not just hockey.

Yes, I have one particular Excel sheet that I update every season with most German players playing abroad as well as almost all players, of any nationality, playing in Germany from DEL to Oberliga on the pro side and from DNL to U13 or in some regions even U11 at the junior level.
Currently I have roughly 9000 players in that file. (9160 to be exact, but there are some duplicates in there still, so 9000 seems about right). I don't have stats for all of them, but that's jsut because some junior leagues do not publish any stats, if they even track them. But what I can find I put in there.

So, yeah I guess we are alike in that sense. :thumbu:

Reactions: filip85

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So, the U17 team lost their first game 1-10 vs. USA.
I guess it's not really a good sign when you lose 1-10 and your goalie actually played well. Sure, there were a couple of goals Eder would like to have back, but he also had a number of really good saves.

The game was just way too fast for our boys. I wish I could give a better individual assessment of our players, but I do not have a roster with jersey numbers and they did not have their names on the back of their jerseys.
So, I can onlygo by the names the US commentators mentioned occasionally, and hope they got the numbers right. So, take the following with a grain of salt.

Max Herzog scored the lone goal for Germany on a nice deflection of a shot by Maximilian Merkl. I couldn't see who got the other assist with a nice quick pass to Merkl to put him in a shooting position. Noteworthy was also the pre-assist by maybe Dustin Willhöft who really created the whole situation.

Manuel Schams was, as far as I could tell, one of the better defenders, so was Pape. Hense looked really good at times, but also had some gaffes that were pretty bad (one led directly to a goal against), because he tried to do things that did not work for him against this level of competition. That was also a bit of an overall theme. They really tried to play with the Americans. If they had focused completely on the disruption of the game of the US team they may have held the score a little bit closer, but they actually tried to create something for themselves and tried to manage controlled zone exits, and that did not work all that well, but I am actually glad they tried.

Among forwards Herzog was interesting to watch. For the most part he was invisible, but every now and then he would suddenly show up and almost make something happen in the O-zone. He seemed very opportunistic and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Really looking forward to seeing more from him against a team where we are not this outclassed.
If I had to pick a best forward, I would go with Dustin Willhöft, if that was indeed him (#15). Very quick and shifty with good puck skills. Also quite fearless. He got levelled with a big hit at one pint, but just popped right back up and did not miss a beat. He just kept going and even went for a hit against a much bigger defender that sent both players tumbling.

I will see if I can get another look at the game at a later time, and hopefully I will then know all the numbers so I can make a better judgment on the players' performance.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I re-watched the game vs. US and I think I have now figured out most of the numbers for the German team.
Although I am still a little confused, because as far as I could tell Germany played with 12 forwards and 8 defensemen, yet the US broadcast named 21 different skaters during the game.
It seems that only 2 out of these 3 were playing (Nick Maul was never mentioned, so I guess he did not play):
Finn Serikow, Eden Hofverberg and Clemens Seeger

Anyway, after watching the game again, a little update to my previous assessment, so get ready for another long post (I will add the numbers for each player, just in case):

Forwards:
I don't think Willhöft (#15) was the best forward anymore, but he was the most exciting forward. Also, his entire line with Herzog (#5) and Bickel (#7) was the most fun to watch.

But the nod for the best forward goes to Tobias Schwarz (#24). Not only did he create some chances, but his line with Seidl (#27) and Brunner (#16) also did a lot of heavy lifting.

The line with Otten (#17), Pul (#23) and Kerbel (#13) also had their moments. Especially Kerbel was very active, although he faded a little as the game went on.

Tim Schütz (#25) did not have his best game offensively, and defensively he was struggling like almost everybody else at ES (on the PK everybody was defending much better)
Schütz' linemate Max Oswald (#22) had a couple of nice moments but overall their line with #20 (I guess that is Seeger, otherweise could be Hofverberg) was the least noticeable offensively.

Defensemen:
I'll just go through the pairings with my observations.

Pape (#10) / Hense (#8):
Pape was the best defender as far as offense was concerned, but defensively he had some issues and for the most part was no match for the US forwards (though nobody really was).
Hense did a lot better defensively, but still had some problems. Especially the speed of the US players was difficult for him to handle. He has some very nice tools, but he needs to improve his footspeed.

Schams (#6) / Händel (#11):
Schams played a relatively solid two-way game. Had some decent transition plays offensively, and was also occasionally able to stop the opposing offense.
On the plus side, Händel did not look out of place eventhough he was youngest player on the ice. He played mostly calm and controlled and while he had some defensive struggles they were no worse than anybody elses. He had a couple of miscues where he started to do the right thing and it looked like he would manage a controlled zone exit, but then made the wrong decision, which resulted in turnovers at his blueline. Still, it was an intriguing first look at him.

Serikow (#12) / Hahn (#14):
I am not one hundred percent sure if it really was Serikow, but it seems likely. Anyway #12's most notable moment was a nice rush from the d-zone all the way to the hashmarks in the o-zone, unfortunately it did not result in a goal. Other than that both Serikow and Hahn struggled, like like everyone else, to keep up with the US team. Overall they did not stand out in any way good or bad.

Schlenker (#26) / Merkl (#19):
Schlenker, like Hense and Schams one of the bigger bodies and more physical players, started out pretty strong, but eventually sort of regressed to the mean. But this was by no means a bad game from him.
Merkl was, in my estimation, the second best defenseman offensively for our team. It was no accident that his shot (deflected by Herzog) resulted in the lone goal. Similar to Pape he struggled defensively.

Goalie:
Eder (#1):
There were maybe 2 goals that Eder could have played better, but for the most part there was really nothing he could do. He ended up with 38 saves on 48 shots against and several of those saves were fairly impressive. i would really like to see him in a game where the guys in front of him are not this badly outclassed.

Reactions: filip85 and pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I re-watched the game vs. US and I think I have now figured out most of the numbers for the German team.
Although I am still a little confused, because as far as I could tell Germany played with 12 forwards and 8 defensemen, yet the US broadcast named 21 different skaters during the game.
It seems that only 2 out of these 3 were playing (Nick Maul was never mentioned, so I guess he did not play):
Finn Serikow, Eden Hofverberg and Clemens Seeger

Anyway, after watching the game again, a little update to my previous assessment, so get ready for another long post (I will add the numbers for each player, just in case):

Forwards:
I don't think Willhöft (#15) was the best forward anymore, but he was the most exciting forward. Also, his entire line with Herzog (#5) and Bickel (#7) was the most fun to watch.

But the nod for the best forward goes to Tobias Schwarz (#24). Not only did he create some chances, but his line with Seidl (#27) and Brunner (#16) also did a lot of heavy lifting.

The line with Otten (#17), Pul (#23) and Kerbel (#13) also had their moments. Especially Kerbel was very active, although he faded a little as the game went on.

Tim Schütz (#25) did not have his best game offensively, and defensively he was struggling like almost everybody else at ES (on the PK everybody was defending much better)
Schütz' linemate Max Oswald (#22) had a couple of nice moments but overall their line with #20 (I guess that is Seeger, otherweise could be Hofverberg) was the least noticeable offensively.

Defensemen:
I'll just go through the pairings with my observations.

Pape (#10) / Hense (#8):
Pape was the best defender as far as offense was concerned, but defensively he had some issues and for the most part was no match for the US forwards (though nobody really was).
Hense did a lot better defensively, but still had some problems. Especially the speed of the US players was difficult for him to handle. He has some very nice tools, but he needs to improve his footspeed.

Schams (#6) / Händel (#11):
Schams played a relatively solid two-way game. Had some decent transition plays offensively, and was also occasionally able to stop the opposing offense.
On the plus side, Händel did not look out of place eventhough he was youngest player on the ice. He played mostly calm and controlled and while he had some defensive struggles they were no worse than anybody elses. He had a couple of miscues where he started to do the right thing and it looked like he would manage a controlled zone exit, but then made the wrong decision, which resulted in turnovers at his blueline. Still, it was an intriguing first look at him.

Serikow (#12) / Hahn (#14):
I am not one hundred percent sure if it really was Serikow, but it seems likely. Anyway #12's most notable moment was a nice rush from the d-zone all the way to the hashmarks in the o-zone, unfortunately it did not result in a goal. Other than that both Serikow and Hahn struggled, like like everyone else, to keep up with the US team. Overall they did not stand out in any way good or bad.

Schlenker (#26) / Merkl (#19):
Schlenker, like Hense and Schams one of the bigger bodies and more physical players, started out pretty strong, but eventually sort of regressed to the mean. But this was by no means a bad game from him.
Merkl was, in my estimation, the second best defenseman offensively for our team. It was no accident that his shot (deflected by Herzog) resulted in the lone goal. Similar to Pape he struggled defensively.

Goalie:
Eder (#1):
There were maybe 2 goals that Eder could have played better, but for the most part there was really nothing he could do. He ended up with 38 saves on 48 shots against and several of those saves were fairly impressive. i would really like to see him in a game where the guys in front of him are not this badly outclassed.
Appreciate the writeup! You can find the rosters with jersey numbers here: Live Stats, Scores & Standings

Very interesting to hear your thoughts. One note on the overall performance: I like that, as you said, they tried to play with the Americans instead of just disrupting. Even if it turns into a 1-10 loss, if these kids want to be competitive once they reach the U18s and play the Hlinka and/or world championship, they're going to need to play a skilled game. And you can't develop that skill if all you ever learned was to disrupt. Sure, they might be able to steal a win or two with that defense-first, disruptive play style. But that's what's hurt Germany for many years.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I was lucky enough to attend the Hlinka and am finally getting around to sharing some notes:

In general, I was honestly shocked that Germany was as bad as they were. I didn't expect any magic from them, but that was an awful tournament and especially the game vs. Switzerland was an eye opener as they were completely dominated right from the start. I repeat: completely dominated. By Switzerland.

As to individual performances...

Positives:

Bicker:
Germany's best forward. Brought energy on every shift along with some skill and even played with a bit of an edge. Still, I don't think he would be much of an impact player on a better team. He, too, failed to take over the game against Switzerland and make something happen. I don't think he's a draft prospect but he'll be a good player in Germany in the next years. Would like to see him in the CHL after next season.

Brandl:
Scored a surprising amount of points but I didn't think he stood out much away from the score sheet. Still, a smart centre that I look forward to watching more in Mannheim.

Ruckdaschel:
The biggest surprise for me as I didn't know him much before. Not a high-end talent but one of Germany's best forwards in this tournament.

Sumpf:
A bit inconsistent but I like his hockey sense and think he could've been better if he'd played with better linemates. Can't do much with Rieke and Samanski/Jakovlev on your wings...

Schreiner:
Showed flashes of skill but disappeared for long periods of time as well. Still listing that as a positive – that's how bad the team was overall.

Panocha:
Also didn't know him much before but he was Germany's best puck carrier. I thought he had some defensive problems and couldn't always turn his skating and skill into offensive possession but has an intriguing toolkit.

Negatives:

Mayer:
Calling it a negative may be harsh, but I guess it's fair relative to expectation. He showed good strength and mobility but I expected more from him with the puck. He struggled under pressure and didn't show the ability to skate the puck out like Panocha or Niehus.

Niehus:
Also relative to expectation. He showed the same tools we know from his play in Mannheim but wasn't able to do much with them. Strong skater with good puck skills but just couldn't make much work.

Peukert:
Just not good enough for this level. I often saw his name pop up on here and never really agreed with him being a high-upside player and this tournament confirmed it for me.

Fischer:
Same as Peukert. I did think he looked (and played) much bigger than I thought he was. Might've had a growth spurt? Or maybe I just hadn't seen him before and was thinking of a different player.

Vladeltchtchikov:
Similar to Peukert. I liked his potential when I saw him in the DNL and the occasional U17 game but this tournament showed where he's really at. A decent skater who doesn't have enough skill to compete at his size. I also don't think his hockey sense is great.

Kuhnhauser:
I don't want to be too harsh about these kids, so I'll make this one short: I definitely don't know every German 05 player but you can't tell me there wasn't a single better option.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The U17 lost their second game (vs. Slovakia) 2-8.
I only caught a little bit of the game so far, and work will keep me very busy the rest of the week, so don't expect any big write ups on the rest of the games until maybe Saturday.

Based on the little I did see this game, I again came away somewhat impressed by Tobias Schwarz.
The team seemed to fall apart in the 2nd and 3rd periods. They looked pretty good in the 1st period though.
Overall, I did not like what I saw, but I will have to watch the full game before drawing any conclusions.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
A 2:8 loss against any team outside of the top 5 is really worrying. I really thought german hockey would be on the rise.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
A 2:8 loss against any team outside of the top 5 is really worrying. I really thought german hockey would be on the rise.

Still haven't seen the full game, so I won't address this yet, just the score looks definitely bad, but the same team just beat Switzerland 5-4. And Switzerland had decent showings against both the US (2-5) and Czechia (4-5).

Tomorrow the boys have their final game vs. Czechia, and I should finally be able to watch the full Slovakia game and maybe today's game vs. Switzerland as well. After each game I will share my thoughts.

I am thinking about creating highlight videos from the games, but I worry that I might run into copyright issues.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Really strong first period vs, Czechia right now. Score is 1-0 for Germany, Herzog with the goal.
For a neutral fan probably a boring game, but for me it was highly entertaining.
Sure, the Czechs were mostly disappointing, but I'd rather see the positives for Germany and give them credit for a strong defensive effort (only a couple of breakdowns, that Czechia failed to capitalize on). But the whole time they kept also looking for their chances and actually had 2 or 3 good ones they failed to convert.

They also had a good first period vs. Slovakia before falling apart, hopefully they can keep it up this time, although I am sure the Czechs will up the pressure and this being the 4th game in as many nights for our boys, I fear they will run out gas at some point.

EDIT:
The second period went more like expected. The Czechs were dominating, and even when Germany was on the power play they were barely able to get out of their own zone. There was a stretch of like 5-6 minutes in the second half of the period, when they managed to replicate their performance of the first period and generated a couple of decent chances, but in the end it's 2-1 for the Czechs now, the second goal coming in the final minute of the period on the power play after a kind of meh penalty.
Overall still a solid performance against a good team. Btw I really, really like Tomas Galvas for the Czechs.

EDIT2:
They clearly had nothing left in the tank in the final period. Lots of little mistakes that looked to me like they were caused by a lack of concentration due to fatigue. And the legs of most players were clearly heavy and they were a step or two too slow the entire time. But they gave it everything they had and fought to the end, and managed to keep the final score respectable (1-4). Lennart Neiße who started his second consecutive game in goal, looked pretty good for the most part and kept thing closer than they should have been.

My detailed write ups for the final 3 games with focus on specific players will follow tomorrow and Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: filip85 and pgfan66

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Here is my recap of the game vs. Slovakia. I know it's very long, if you would like a shorter more condensed version let me know, and I will give it a try.

Game2 vs. Slovakia 2-8:

Nick Maul and Eden Hofverberg drew in for the first time in this game. Dustin Willhöft (Why???) and Maxime Bickel watched from the sidelines. Maul showed some flashes of skill as did Hofverberg though his physicality stood out a bit more. However, overall, they did not really move the needle much.

For the first fifteen minutes the game was basically even. The Germans were helped a little by the fact that the refs called the game extremely tight early on, calling 4 penalties (3 on Slovakia) in the first 5 minutes. Germany capitalized quickly on their first power play with a long wrister by Schams from the point that probably hit a defensemen’s stick and went bar and in. The lead did not last long as Slovakia equalized less than minute later on a slick deflection past Lukas Stuhrmann the youngest German player on the team who played a solid though unspectacular first period making a couple of nice stops towards the end of the period when the Slovaks started to take over the game.

The longer the game went the more Slovakia found the rhythm and the more the difference in skill became apparent. However, for almost 7 minutes the Germans still hung around and acquitted themselves fairly well (during that time they also had another power play), but then the Slovaks scored two quick goals. The first on a sick sharp angle shot under the crossbar (never a good look for the goalie, but it was a beauty of a shot), the second after defensive miscue by Colin Schlenker who lunged for the puck at the blueline but missed, which allowed the Slovakian forward to take the puck to net unimpeded and deke around Stuhrmann.

From there it was pretty much all downhill in that period. Slovakia scored their fourth goal late in a power play capitalizing on some sloppy defending. Goal number 5 came a couple of minutes later after an ill-advised point shot by Noah Hahn was blocked which resulted in a breakaway for one of the best players on the ice in Michal Svrcek (he had also scored the first goal for Slovakia). Stuhrmann went down a little to soon and was too deep in the net for my taste, giving Svrcek too much net to shoot at. That left the score at 1-5 after a very sloppy period, where the Slovaks converted most of their grade A chances.

Slovakia added their sixth goal early in the 3rd period on a beautifully executed passing play on the man-advantage. No chance for Stuhrmann on that one. The game basically over at that points both teams seem to let off a little bit, and Felix Kerbel sort of “worked” the puck into the net, banging in his own rebound, for Germany’s second goal. About 90 seconds later Slovakia’s Theo Kiss scored a Michigan goal while on the power play. Schlenker was little too late to stop him, and so was Stuhrmann in covering the short side top corner. But it was a beauty of a move by Kiss. And only seconds later Slovakia added another goal on a nice stretch pass up the middle sending in Pitka alone on the goalie with both defenders Pape and Hense too far apart and the entire team disorganized after yet another neutral zone turnover. After that not a whole lot happened. Germany was helped by two more power plays that allowed them to keep the pressure away from their own goal for a bit. You could see that some of the kids were a bit dejected and it showed in their body language. They didn’t quit, but it looked a little passive and frustrated, while about a handful of them kept going hard.

All in all, I think the team would have deserved a slightly less lopsided score, but after 15 minutes and certainly with the start of the second period there was no denying that Slovakia was the better, more skilled team.

In goal, Stuhrmann wasn’t bad, but he also gave up 8 goals on 35 shots. He was hung out to dry by his teammates, for most of the game, but he also wasn’t able to come up with big saves when it mattered. Kid is very young, has good size and clearly has potential, but I thought Eder did a little better in the first game despite giving up 10 goals.

The defense was bad. Serikow struggled and Hahn even more so, but Schlenker had probably the worst game of any defenseman. Merkl showed a few glimpses. I like his skating and how he tries to create offense from the backend, but in this game, he was not very good. The top pairing with Hense and Pape had a game with ups and downs, and were the second-best pairing in my opinion.

The distinction of the best pairing goes to Schams and Händel, although not by a big margin. Händel was more noticeable (and fairly often for the right reasons) than Schams, who was, despite his goal, somewhat invisible in this game (not a bad thing). But even the best defensemen were not that good in this game.

The offense was also bad. The top line with Seidl, Schwarz and Brunner generated the most offense and were actually able to maintain puck possession for a while every now and then. I think Brunner was the most notable forward as he consistently kept carrying the puck forward, and generated a bunch of zone entries at high speed. Most other forwards had their one or two moments where they showed a glimpse of skill, like Schütz, Maul, Hofverberg, Oswald or Pul.

Herzog also had his moments but looked a little lost with his new linemates (Maul and Hofverberg). Still, he is such a smart, well-rounded player that he managed to do some good things in the first two periods, he went sort of MIA in the last period.

I really like looking for the positives in these games and I found some in the game vs. US, but this time there was not much that stood out in a good way.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Here's my recap of the Switzerland game:

Game3 vs. Switzerland 5-4:

Willhöft and Bickel drew back in, for Kerbel and Serikow as Germany went with 13 forwards and 7 defensemen. The start of the game was really disjointed and felt sort of weird as neither team was playing particularly well. Finally, the Swiss took the lead on a shorthanded breakaway after a disturbingly bad pass by Maxime Bickel onto the stick of Yannik Ponzetto who went five-hole on Lennart Neiße.

After that the game started to get better at least from the German team, and they quickly equalized only 65 seconds after the Swiss goal. Seeger forced a turnover in the Swiss zone, Schütz picked up the puck and made a nifty little move around a defender and beat the Swiss high on the short side.

This time it took 66 seconds until the next goal and for Germany to take the lead for the first time. Herzog broke up a play in the defensive zone, which allowed Bennet Otten to start a rush the other way down the left-hand side accompanied by Hofverberg and Herzog. The latter managed to get a little separation in the middle and Otten tried to feather a pass over to Herzog and did pretty well, even though it was slightly too far ahead. But Herzog managed gather the puck, and while it was not in time for him to get a shot off himself, he made a nice little drop pass to Hofverberg, who did not hesitate to shoot the puck (a Swiss stick may also have been involved here) and with a little luck the puck slid just between the Swiss goalie’s legs with only just enough momentum to cross the line before a defender got there. 4 minutes later Switzerland tied the game back up, as Neiße was unable to control a bouncing puck coming off the backboard and Robin Antenen walked in unhindered and got a couple of whacks at the puck that eventually trickled past Neiße across the goalline.

Germany then had the final word late in an eventful first period. Bickel intercepted, what should have been an easy, short pass behind the Swiss net, moved up in front of net and beat the goalie high on the glove side from short range.

The second period started with back-to-back power plays for Germany that showed a major weakness of this team. The power plays throughout the tournament so far have been abysmal with one or two exceptions. As far as I can tell they don’t use power play units, but are just playing the regular lines. Through both power plays they had one maybe two chances (or events resembling chances). During the next stretch the Swiss team took complete control of the game and had two grade A chances. On a 3-on-2 a Swiss player ended up wide open in the slot, but his shot hit Neiße up high and nobody was able to follow up as Neiße lost track of the puck for a moment. A short time later Switzerland had a breakaway where Neiße made nice stop 1-on-1, but Schlenker had thrown his stick to interfere with the breakaway, so Switzerland got another chance with a penalty shot, which Neiße also stopped. On the next big chance for Switzerland, it looked like Schwarz saved a goal, a few moments later Brunner was on the receiving hand on a bit of a borderline play that may have been a kneeing (it was hard to tell). There was no call and he took matters in his own hands which resulted in him taking an interference penalty after he launched himself into the much bigger Swiss player taking him down. Not the smartest play, not a good play, but I sort of get it.

Unlike the power play the penalty kill has been fairly good so far and here Herzog partially blocks a shot, Hahn pokes the loose puck forward to Herzog again, and then Herzog and Hofverberg create a 2-on-1 shorthanded. Hofverberg charges down the middle, Herzog finds him with a nice pass, but despite a nifty little deke he can’t put the puck behind the Swiss goalie who deserves a lot of credit for a nice stop. But he managed to draw a hooking penalty on the play.

After this Germany recovered a bit and the game became a little more even again, though the Swiss were still the ones in the driver seat, but no more than you would expect a team that is down 1 goal to be. For almost every chance the Swiss generated the Germans also had a chance on some counter attack. But it still took some very nice saves from Neiße to keep the score at 3-2.

Germany got another early power play in the third on a weak-ish call against Switzerland. After a clear by Switzerland, Merkl picked up the puck in his own zone, skated up the middle into the Swiss zone, cut to the left and beat the the goalie on the short side with a shot from the left circle.

But Switzerland got back within one only 30 seconds later, when Hahn and Willhöft couldn’t stop Antenen walking in from behind the goal and sneaking the puck past Neiße.

Switzerland then equalized when, after a couple of failed zone exits by Germany, the won an offensive zone face off and eventually Neiße made a pad save on a shot from the right circle by Ustinkov, that landed perfectly on the stick of Forget, who was wide open on the left side, just like the net he put the puck in.

Just after the half-way point of the third period Schütz put Germany back in front with another power play goal. I still stand by my assessment that the power play sucks, because this was once again not a traditional power play goal. The power play started with a brief 4-on-3, then as 1 player for each team returned Switzerland had great shorthanded chance, but Neiße made another good stop. Schwarz then finds Schütz who is skating up the left side, wins the footrace against a Swiss defender and takes a low percentage shot from outside and below the hashmarks that finds its way into the goal just between the shoulder of the Swiss goalie and the crossbar.

From there on the Germans played a mostly disciplined defensive game, not giving up too many great chances. The biggest came off a rare but almost costly mistake by Pape, but Neiße was once more up to the task. When Switzerland pulled the goalie at the end, they never really established any pressure and the Germans held on for the win.

Is it just me or are these getting longer?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I already posted a period-by-period report on the final game against Czechia, so I will just give a quick recap and then talk about the tournament overall.

It was the 4th game in 4 days for most of the kids and as one would expect the game got progressively worse for all of them as they grew more tired and while the will to compete was there, their legs just would not cooperate, by the end of the game. Still there were some notable positives and I will get to those, but first I want to focus on the biggest negative that I noticed all through the tournament. Almost every player on this team struggled with cleanly executing and even more so receiving a pass, especially when the passes were crisp and came with some speed at them. I lost count of all the times even good passes just bounced of the stick of the target player thus denying an odd man rush, a breakaway or just a clean zone exit or entry. That was such a difference compared to the other teams.

I always like focus more on the positives which may lead to the impression that these kids are better than they are, so before I get into the player reviews, let me preface those with this.

I don’t think that a single one of these kids right now looks like a candidate for a high draft pick. There are some with the potential to get there, but even the best of them would need some really strong development, and/or a growth spurt.

I will only go into detail for the most promising/intriguing players but one big positive overall is that the depth looks decent. Meaning the worst players on this team were much better than the worst players on most other U17 teams I watched in the past years.

I am going to do this alphabetically, so this is no ranking.

Carlos Händel:
In the first game I was impressed that he did not look out of place as a 2007 born player. Now that the tournament is over, I can say he looked pretty good regardless of his age. In the first game I had some questions about his decision making, but in the other three games that was actually one of his biggest strengths. He plays a smart, solid two-way game with a lot of room for improvement. I am sure he will only get better and has fairly high ceiling. He will probably not become a physically imposing player but he should have enough size to not be held back by it.

Max Hense:
He almost has all it takes to become a legit NHL prospect. Except the footspeed (to be clear his top end speed is not terrible, the real problem is his quickness, and agility). He improved slightly over the course of the tournament. Not that he got much faster, but he got better at anticipating where to go. And overall, his positioning got better. Maybe he had to get used to the smaller ice surface or maybe he had to get used to the speed of the game at this level, possibly a bit of both.

Still, I would like to see him get a little quicker. He has the size, decent stick work, rarely panics, his outlet passes were a bit hit or miss, but that was not just on him as many forwards had issues receiving even good passes cleanly. His decision making was mostly very good (there were some gaffes here and there).

Max Herzog:
This dude confounds me. I can find almost nothing wrong with his game. It’s like he can do everything, but he doesn’t do it all the time. In pretty much every game there were stretches where he sort of disappeared, or at least I did not notice him, only to suddenly show up doing something special, whether it was scoring a goal, backchecking and breaking up a cross ice pass on a 2-1 for the other team, maintaining puck possession against three opposing players while his teammates completed a change, finding a teammate with a smart pass to set them up for a scoring chance, basically anything you can think of I saw him do at least once. If he ever figures it all out and becomes more assertive and starts taking over games, watch out.

Maximilian Merkl:

One of my biggest risers in this tournament. I barely had him on my radar before, but he showed some serious offensive potential, and while his defensive game was not quite on that level, it’s not like he was a constant liability. Merkl is a very good skater and has good awareness about when he can join or initiate the rush. Multiple times he carried the puck from the defensive zone into the offensive zone gaining zone entry with ease. He also has one of the better shots among our defensemen and unless some of the others he is not afraid to use it. I’m definitely keeping an eye on this kid.

Lennart Neiße:

I had never even really heard of him before and was initially skeptical if he was up for this. It did not always look pretty, but he did quite well at keeping the puck out. However, to be fair to both Eder and Stuhrmann, Neiße got a lot more support in his games than those two got in their respective starts. He was very good at swallowing up pucks and denying rebound on high shots, but struggled a bit with rebound control when the shots hit his pads.

Matthias Pape:

I might still like him a little more than Hense, but that is incredibly close although they are very different players. Pape skates well, has very good and active stick defensively, and is a good puckhandler for a defenseman. Many times, he used skill plays, that were at times quite risky, to maintain puck control in his own end and start the transition out of the defensive zone. But while those plays seemed risky at times, he pulled them off almost every time. He might struggle at the next level if he doesn’t add some more strength, but for now he can manage.

Tobias Schwarz:

Another big riser for me. I had him as a bit of filler on my list so far, but he really impressed me with his rushes. He has good speed and decent quickness while also having the physical ability to shield the puck and take the puck to the net like a power forward. His stick and puck skills are not bad, but could use further improvement if he wants to be a legit NHL level prospect. Like everybody he made a few mistakes along the way, but overall, his game was a clear net positive for the team on both the offensive and the defensive end. Another one to keep an eye on.

Dustin Willhöft:

Boy, do I hope he grows a few more inches. There are a few things to worry about beyond his lack of size, but that is the biggest question mark at the moment. If he gets to at least 5’10’’ I am pretty sure he will garner some NHL interest for the 2025 draft. He only played in 3 of the games and his weakest game came against Switzerland. Against the top teams of USA and Czechia he had his strongest games and when most other forwards struggled to create any offense, he created something almost every time he stepped on the ice. His speed is amazing. At one point against Czechia, he created a chance on a play that left him behind the Czech goal, and unfortunately his teammates messed up and the Czechs came back with a counter attack, and even though he was the furthest away, he was the first one back helping to turn a 3-on-1 for the Czechs into a 3-on-3 and denying them a great chance. Besides the obvious lack of size there are a few warts to his game. He does not utilize his linemates as well as he could, and sometimes seems to get tunnel vision. At times he also seems to have disconnects between his brain and his body, when he either can’t process the game as quickly as his body wants to play it, or when he thinks so far ahead that he forgets to actually do the steps in the right order. He is a real buzzsaw out there, and he is not some small perimeter player. He goes into the board battles and sometimes even comes out with the puck thanks to his quick feet and hands, but most of the time he is just too easily muscled off the puck.

Others:

Maximilian Brunner was similar to Willhöft in the sense that he is a smaller player, but he is even more fearless and plays actually quite physical. He is a little less skilled than Willhöft, but still a very intriguing player who needs a little growth spurt.

I was very interested to see Eden Hofverberg for the first time, and was quite happy with what I got to see. He was one of the more physical players on the team, delivering a few hits and winning some board battles. He showed decent speed and some flashes of skill. Right now, I don’t think I see much of chance for a NHL career, but he could make it to the DEL and not just for a couple of years as an U23 player.

Ok, I will leave it at that. I am tapped out and need some rest. I hope some of you find this interesting.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I already posted a period-by-period report on the final game against Czechia, so I will just give a quick recap and then talk about the tournament overall.

It was the 4th game in 4 days for most of the kids and as one would expect the game got progressively worse for all of them as they grew more tired and while the will to compete was there, their legs just would not cooperate, by the end of the game. Still there were some notable positives and I will get to those, but first I want to focus on the biggest negative that I noticed all through the tournament. Almost every player on this team struggled with cleanly executing and even more so receiving a pass, especially when the passes were crisp and came with some speed at them. I lost count of all the times even good passes just bounced of the stick of the target player thus denying an odd man rush, a breakaway or just a clean zone exit or entry. That was such a difference compared to the other teams.

I always like focus more on the positives which may lead to the impression that these kids are better than they are, so before I get into the player reviews, let me preface those with this.

I don’t think that a single one of these kids right now looks like a candidate for a high draft pick. There are some with the potential to get there, but even the best of them would need some really strong development, and/or a growth spurt.

I will only go into detail for the most promising/intriguing players but one big positive overall is that the depth looks decent. Meaning the worst players on this team were much better than the worst players on most other U17 teams I watched in the past years.

I am going to do this alphabetically, so this is no ranking.

Carlos Händel:
In the first game I was impressed that he did not look out of place as a 2007 born player. Now that the tournament is over, I can say he looked pretty good regardless of his age. In the first game I had some questions about his decision making, but in the other three games that was actually one of his biggest strengths. He plays a smart, solid two-way game with a lot of room for improvement. I am sure he will only get better and has fairly high ceiling. He will probably not become a physically imposing player but he should have enough size to not be held back by it.

Max Hense:
He almost has all it takes to become a legit NHL prospect. Except the footspeed (to be clear his top end speed is not terrible, the real problem is his quickness, and agility). He improved slightly over the course of the tournament. Not that he got much faster, but he got better at anticipating where to go. And overall, his positioning got better. Maybe he had to get used to the smaller ice surface or maybe he had to get used to the speed of the game at this level, possibly a bit of both.

Still, I would like to see him get a little quicker. He has the size, decent stick work, rarely panics, his outlet passes were a bit hit or miss, but that was not just on him as many forwards had issues receiving even good passes cleanly. His decision making was mostly very good (there were some gaffes here and there).

Max Herzog:
This dude confounds me. I can find almost nothing wrong with his game. It’s like he can do everything, but he doesn’t do it all the time. In pretty much every game there were stretches where he sort of disappeared, or at least I did not notice him, only to suddenly show up doing something special, whether it was scoring a goal, backchecking and breaking up a cross ice pass on a 2-1 for the other team, maintaining puck possession against three opposing players while his teammates completed a change, finding a teammate with a smart pass to set them up for a scoring chance, basically anything you can think of I saw him do at least once. If he ever figures it all out and becomes more assertive and starts taking over games, watch out.

Maximilian Merkl:

One of my biggest risers in this tournament. I barely had him on my radar before, but he showed some serious offensive potential, and while his defensive game was not quite on that level, it’s not like he was a constant liability. Merkl is a very good skater and has good awareness about when he can join or initiate the rush. Multiple times he carried the puck from the defensive zone into the offensive zone gaining zone entry with ease. He also has one of the better shots among our defensemen and unless some of the others he is not afraid to use it. I’m definitely keeping an eye on this kid.

Lennart Neiße:

I had never even really heard of him before and was initially skeptical if he was up for this. It did not always look pretty, but he did quite well at keeping the puck out. However, to be fair to both Eder and Stuhrmann, Neiße got a lot more support in his games than those two got in their respective starts. He was very good at swallowing up pucks and denying rebound on high shots, but struggled a bit with rebound control when the shots hit his pads.

Matthias Pape:

I might still like him a little more than Hense, but that is incredibly close although they are very different players. Pape skates well, has very good and active stick defensively, and is a good puckhandler for a defenseman. Many times, he used skill plays, that were at times quite risky, to maintain puck control in his own end and start the transition out of the defensive zone. But while those plays seemed risky at times, he pulled them off almost every time. He might struggle at the next level if he doesn’t add some more strength, but for now he can manage.

Tobias Schwarz:

Another big riser for me. I had him as a bit of filler on my list so far, but he really impressed me with his rushes. He has good speed and decent quickness while also having the physical ability to shield the puck and take the puck to the net like a power forward. His stick and puck skills are not bad, but could use further improvement if he wants to be a legit NHL level prospect. Like everybody he made a few mistakes along the way, but overall, his game was a clear net positive for the team on both the offensive and the defensive end. Another one to keep an eye on.

Dustin Willhöft:

Boy, do I hope he grows a few more inches. There are a few things to worry about beyond his lack of size, but that is the biggest question mark at the moment. If he gets to at least 5’10’’ I am pretty sure he will garner some NHL interest for the 2025 draft. He only played in 3 of the games and his weakest game came against Switzerland. Against the top teams of USA and Czechia he had his strongest games and when most other forwards struggled to create any offense, he created something almost every time he stepped on the ice. His speed is amazing. At one point against Czechia, he created a chance on a play that left him behind the Czech goal, and unfortunately his teammates messed up and the Czechs came back with a counter attack, and even though he was the furthest away, he was the first one back helping to turn a 3-on-1 for the Czechs into a 3-on-3 and denying them a great chance. Besides the obvious lack of size there are a few warts to his game. He does not utilize his linemates as well as he could, and sometimes seems to get tunnel vision. At times he also seems to have disconnects between his brain and his body, when he either can’t process the game as quickly as his body wants to play it, or when he thinks so far ahead that he forgets to actually do the steps in the right order. He is a real buzzsaw out there, and he is not some small perimeter player. He goes into the board battles and sometimes even comes out with the puck thanks to his quick feet and hands, but most of the time he is just too easily muscled off the puck.

Others:

Maximilian Brunner was similar to Willhöft in the sense that he is a smaller player, but he is even more fearless and plays actually quite physical. He is a little less skilled than Willhöft, but still a very intriguing player who needs a little growth spurt.

I was very interested to see Eden Hofverberg for the first time, and was quite happy with what I got to see. He was one of the more physical players on the team, delivering a few hits and winning some board battles. He showed decent speed and some flashes of skill. Right now, I don’t think I see much of chance for a NHL career, but he could make it to the DEL and not just for a couple of years as an U23 player.

Ok, I will leave it at that. I am tapped out and need some rest. I hope some of you find this interesting.
Thank you for the write up. Really appreciate you writing down your thoughts.

I’ve only been able to watch the game vs. Switzerland so far and must say despite the positive outcome I was genuinely shocked by how bad the German team was. I didn’t really like anyone. There were some flashes by some players, sure. The 1-0 goal by Schütz was great. But nobody really jumped out. There are 3-4 players on Switzerland that I like and 10+ on Czechia. But not a single German player who looked as good as those guys.

All that said, I still have high hopes for some of them. Especially Hense. If he can improve his foot speed, as you said too, he can definitely develop into an NHL prospect.

Reactions: Kleefeld

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
U20 tournament over - whenever we aren’t “playing“ in the relegation game it was a good tournament.

Players of the tournament were Alexander Blank, Florian Bugl and Maximillian Glotzl - all good choices, I would have had Szuber instead of Glotzl but that’s nit picking. All three of these guys have now graduated from National Junior teams.

Excellent performance by Bennett Rossmy caused havoc Infront of goalies all tournament long. Surprisingly he ended up leading the team in scoring. And he can return in December which is big.

Blank had a good game and after that he was targeted by the oppositions defenders and could create much after that unfortunately. Still a great tournament from him - he essentially singly handedly beat Austria.

Was a little disappointed from Munzenberger, but he still had a good tournament overall. Was steady in his own zone, threw his body like no tomorrow and put up 2 points still. Glad he is able to return.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Despite Rossmy's good play this tournament it will take a small miracle to avoid relegation in December, even without Russia and Belarus in the tournament.

Going from a blueline with Münzenberger, Szuber, Glötzl and Dziambor to Klein plus the likes of Elten, Wäser, van der Linde, Rausch, Freis or Zernikel along with whatever 04s or possibly 05s they would add.
Most likely candidates would be Bettahar (04), Tropmann (05) and Mayer (05)
That defense looks terrifying for our goalie, who will be Quapp and I would not be surprised if his backups would both be 04s in Wolf and Dietl.

Up front it looks slightly better, but still bad.
You have Hänelt, Rossmy and Proske along with a tiny bit of depth (T.Heigl, N.Heigl, Del Monte, Cimmerman), but even if you add Lutz that is still pretty thin.

I really hope everybody takes a big step forward before the tournament starts.

Reactions: pgfan66

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Despite Rossmy's good play this tournament it will take a small miracle to avoid relegation in December, even without Russia and Belarus in the tournament.

Going from a blueline with Münzenberger, Szuber, Glötzl and Dziambor to Klein plus the likes of Elten, Wäser, van der Linde, Rausch, Freis or Zernikel along with whatever 04s or possibly 05s they would add.
Most likely candidates would be Bettahar (04), Tropmann (05) and Mayer (05)
That defense looks terrifying for our goalie, who will be Quapp and I would not be surprised if his backups would both be 04s in Wolf and Dietl.

Up front it looks slightly better, but still bad.
You have Hänelt, Rossmy and Proske along with a tiny bit of depth (T.Heigl, N.Heigl, Del Monte, Cimmerman), but even if you add Lutz that is still pretty thin.

I really hope everybody takes a big step forward before the tournament starts.
If we aren't able to beat Austria, even when they have Kasper and Rohrer, then we just deserve it lol.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The U16 team will be playing a 3-Nation-Tournament with Switzerland and Austria in Füssen starting on Thursday.

Roster:

Pos.NachnameVornameGeb.-Dat.Verein 2022/23
GKOswaldBartholomäus04.02.2007EHC Klostersee
GKPfabNoah14.06.2007EHC Bayreuth
DFBleicherMax14.02.2007EV Füssen
DFWijackiCedrik02.02.2007Red Bull Hockey Akademie
DFHempelNiclas20.08.2007EHC Freiburg
DFHausfelderTimo05.09.2007Eisbären Juniors Berlin
DFBickerAlbert30.05.2007EHC Nürnberg
DFKrügerFelix21.08.2007ESC Dresden
DFStockPhilipp02.06.2007Kölner EC
DFSchlosserSimon30.06.2007Starbulls Rosenheim
FWBrandtTobin28.02.2007Iserlohner EC
FWKesslerNikita13.01.2007Red Bull Salzburg
FWSchneiderElias08.07.2007Starbulls Rosenheim
FWZiergiebelMax03.05.2007Kölner EC
FWKronhardtStanislav19.08.2007Iserlohner EC
FWSchäferMaxim17.05.2007EHC Nürnberg
FWGrivaRihards08.06.2007Jungadler Mannheim
FWGavrilukDaniel12.04.2007EHC Straubing
FWSpäth MariscalMateu20.02.2007EC Bad Tölz
FWPohleKarl10.01.2007Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWGrivaGustavs08.06.2007Jungadler Mannheim
FWLewandowskiDavid20.02.2007Düsseldorfer EG
FWZwicklSebastian27.03.2007Starbulls Rosenheim

I don't think there will be any live stream.

Reactions: pgfan66
U16 Tournament - Füssen

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The U16 team will be playing a 3-Nation-Tournament with Switzerland and Austria in Füssen starting on Thursday.

I don't think there will be any live stream.

I may have been wrong about this.

There also seems to be another game scheduled for today vs. Switzerland and it as well as the tournament games starting tomorrow appear to be on soccerwatch.tv

Germany vs. Switzerland - 08/24/2022 - 18:30 CET - Stream

Germany vs. Switzerland - 08/25/2022 - 17:00 CET - Stream
Switzerland vs. Austria - 08/26/2022 - 15:00 CET - Stream
Austria vs. Germany - 08/27/2022 - 11:00 CET - Stream

The streams will likely be without commentary and the camera is probably automated.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Here are all the rosters for the U16 tournament. If anybody has some insight about the Swiss and Austrian teams, respectively, feel free to share.

Austria:

SPIELER#POSLANDJAHRGANG
Haitzmann Luca
1​
GAUT
2007​
Setzinger Lennox
25​
GAUT
2007​
Albel Maximilian
2​