German football 2019/2020

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
They buy their rivals best players.

Wouldn't even say that anymore. Only a few of their players came from the next tier of German clubs by wealth/multi-year table finishes. Of their 18 top players by minutes played, just Neuer (2011), Lewandowski (2014), and Goretzka (2018) came from other top 6 clubs (though Schalke's top 6 status is fading). They bought lots of players abroad and from less competitive Bundesliga clubs. They acquired more of those 18 players from Liga (4) than from top Bundesliga clubs.

The bigger advantage is that they can hold onto their best players for more than 3 years and Dortmund/Leipzig can't. Continuity is extremely important.

Reactions: Cassano

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wouldn't even say that anymore. Only a few of their players came from the next tier of German clubs by wealth/multi-year table finishes. Of their 18 top players by minutes played, just Neuer (2011), Lewandowski (2014), and Goretzka (2018) came from other top 6 clubs (though Schalke's top 6 status is fading). They bought lots of players abroad and from less competitive Bundesliga clubs. They acquired more of those 18 players from Liga (4) than from top Bundesliga clubs.

The bigger advantage is that they can hold onto their best players for more than 3 years and Dortmund/Leipzig can't. Continuity is extremely important.
I agree that it’s definitely not anymore. The other thing that can be taken into account is Bayern buying those players all those years kept the other teams from getting too big while Bayern just kept building. I think that there’s been a lack of real top end talent in the BL from teams other than Bayern/Dortmund. This has been changing in the last few years though.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The quality of the manager wasn't the question I raised. It's that they've been prone to dig themselves a hole early in the season across multiple managers, and then go on an incredible run after they change coaches (or not, as the case of 18-19 - which is all the more compelling evidence that it's down to the players rallying rather than the quality of the manager) only to do it again. They played great under Ancelotti his first season too. I think it's pretty naive to think that a first time head manager won't have a cold stretch at some point, or the players won't grow complacent again. Of course they're playing great under Flick. They played great under Heynckes in 17-18 and great after the first 12 matchdays under Kovac in 18-19 (outscoring opponents 65-15 in 22 matches).

Maybe they won't have a slow start next year but it's naive to assume they definitely won't because their first time in a top league head manager is way better at motivation/staying consistent/whatever you like than Carlo Ancelotti. I've said plenty of negative things about Favre, but that's another subject.
Flick seems way better tactically than Ancelotti or Kovac from what I've seen.

I think it is also equally naive to think they'll start the season slowly when they're integrating younger players to the team every season...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

This. If anything in recent years, Dortmund have also been buying the top Bundesliga talents.

Right now there is no 'Buyern' excuse when the team below them has been pillaging Bundesliga talents of teams below them.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Hoffenheim sack Schreuder after less than one year, because they have different opinions on the future of the team.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
How is it possible that Bayern is in Bundesliga so long so dominant? What they do, that the others teams dont? What must be done, to dethrone Bayern?

It is only about money?
Bayern is one of the big boys in Europe. Young, very good players go there and want to stay for good. Young players go to Schalke, WOB or BvB, because it's the next step and leave afterwards (Neuer, Sane, Dembele or KdB, Draxler).

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I wouldn't say that the structural advantage of being in Bavaria is such a huge factor. Sure, maybe in relation to Werder Bremen or Kaiserslautern..clubs from smaller cities without a lot of economic strength...but Dortmund is sitting in the most populous state of the country where a ton of corporations are headquartered and a lot of money goes around.

NRW and Bavaria may have a similar GDP in absolute terms, but Munich is wealthier than any other city in Germany and as you recognize there's not a whole lot of competition in Bavaria. It's so even if you remove football from the equation altogether, Munich is the unchallenged metropolis where resources flow to, Dortmund is one regional center 11 minutes by commuter train from the next. One can always ask whether other big city clubs could have made more of what is available to them without the mismanagement prevalent in many places, but either way none have quite the same mix of fortunate circumstances.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Something fishy is definitely happening behind the scenes with Palacios. 2nd half start in a meaningless game thats already done and no sign of him. He definitely did something to piss off the team.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Davies is playing up the pitch right now and is looking amazing! He truly is explosive and is great at taking people on 1 v 1.

Reactions: YNWA14

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Enjoying all the BuLi matches on SportsNet so far. Also here's hoping more sports fans in Canada are tuning in given there is currently no competition from hockey, basketball, baseball, etc.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hoffenheim were pretty unlucky not to have an early penalty and then fell victim to some less than stellar defending and goalkeeping in the first 10 minutes. I thought Baumann could have had at least one of, if not both goals ,with better footwork - saves with his feet.

Baumann did make some saves later ...he's good at making himself big...he forced Werner to scuff a breakaway.

Olmo with a brace .

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Hoffenheim were pretty unlucky not to have an early penalty and then fell victim to some less than stellar defending and goalkeeping in the first 10 minutes. I thought Baumann could have had at least one of, if not both goals ,with better footwork - saves with his feet.

Baumann did make some saves later ...he's good at making himself big...he forced Werner to scuff a breakaway.

Olmo with a brace .
Hopefully next campaign Dabbur has more time to acclimate in Hoffenheim. This is a weird season to have made a move in January. Can't say I've watched a lot of Hoffenheim, but his goal return is pretty bad.

That Werner breakaway was just a bad finish. He had the whole goal and tried to get too precise.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad