German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yeah. This was the first game it was really bad. I think it suffers a bit with Hakimi, honestly.

I'm not an expert on defenders, but based on (just) this season, isn't Hakimi at least a top 3 right wingback / offensive fullback in the world? There aren't many that would be a better choice for a top team, which will dominate most of their matches and looking to continuously score.

I'd think Bayern are happy with Kimmich, but other than that, he'd make a push on almost any other team (of course as it's a team game, you probably can't have an extremely offensive WB's or winger on both sides).

And yes, Paco Alcacer is on fire.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'm not an expert on defenders, but based on (just) this season, isn't Hakimi at least a top 3 right wingback / offensive fullback in the world? There aren't many that would be a better choice for a top team, which will dominate most of their matches and looking to continuously score.

I'd think Bayern are happy with Kimmich, but other than that, he'd make a push on almost any other team (of course as it's a team game, you probably can't have an extremely offensive WB's or winger on both sides).

And yes, Paco Alcacer is on fire.

I don't know if he's top 3. I do think it's a net positive to have him and it's better to play open games where goals are scored on both ends - since that tends to lead to a win for one team or the other, and it's far better to win half and lose half your games than to draw them all - than to play total stalemates like Dortmund have at times this season, particularly to start games. I don't think it's an accident that - apart from the totally anemic Nürnberg team - the games he has played, Dortmund gave up 2 and 3 goals against, when they haven't given up more than 1 in their other 7 competitive matches. He was the biggest offender on a couple goals against vs Leverkusen and Augsburg. There were other problems of course, and it's not all his fault, but I think his presence is a big reason why they've given up 5 goals in their last two matches vs 4 goals in 7 matches without him.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
3-0 :laugh:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, Bayern...obviously their defence doesn't work, too much room in front of Hummels/Sule, who don't look like a good partnership, too slow and not aggressive enough. They would have definitely needed a proper DM in front of them in this match.

Interesting to see what they'll do in the winter transfer window, could be a good time to get rid of some of the old guard and bring in new faces.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
What an awesome season till now! The Bavarien show that they are only humans. Werder and Gladbach are awoken and BVB are fabulous.
I hope it goes on like this!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ever since a certain Bayern midfielder got injured, they don't seem to get any balance.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, Bayern...obviously their defence doesn't work, too much room in front of Hummels/Sule, who don't look like a good partnership, too slow and not aggressive enough. They would have definitely needed a proper DM in front of them in this match.

Interesting to see what they'll do in the winter transfer window, could be a good time to get rid of some of the old guard and bring in new faces.
It's pretty amazing how the likes of Roberry are still playing regular minutes for them...add in the has been Mueller and this is the result.

Half their squad needs an upgrade.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Think Bayern will still need to have another 5 matches of f*** ups for another team to have a realistic title chance. It took only 2 losses and a draw in 9 competitive matches for Carlo to get canned last year. Kovac is now at 2 losses and 2 draws in 10 matches. 4 matches in a row without a win too. If Bayern management puts out the fire as fast as they did last year, they'll recover. Not sure if Heynckes is willing to save them yet again, however.

Is there a release clause?

Confirmed today that he doesn't.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's pretty amazing how the likes of Roberry are still playing regular minutes for them...

Both are among the five oldest players in the league, and likewise the entire league has only two other wingers older than 30.

Sacking Kovač would do little to fix their most serious issues.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
One of these years the age of Bayern's best players will catch up to them. Bayern management has now lost their most prominent advocates for talented young players. Kimmich (23), Thiago (27), and James (27) are their only players under the age of 29 - when most players start to decline - who are among the best players in the world at their positions. They have tried and failed to replace Robbery for years. At the same time, everyone has collectively doubted those two for just as long as Bayern have been trying to replace them, and they end up among the most effective players in Germany every year. While Bayern will eventually have a disastrous year, and get the sort of kick in the ass they had in 2011 and 2012 to fix their team from that, I'll believe this is the year when it actually happens.

Reactions: theprofessor

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bayern has lots of good young players. Gnabry, Süle, Goretzka, Tolisso, Coman... They just don't have nearly as many young players who are - or have the potential to be - among the best in the world at their positions. Not like Neuer, Boateng, Thiago, Robbery, Lewandowski were/are.

Reactions: theprofessor

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow, Alcacer is finding a new lease on life with BVB. That second goal was really well taken. Great to see. Now they just need to pony up 50 million and they can have. Price goes up again next week so you better get it done now.

I didn't see the match, but surely you can chalk up Gladbach's victory to the third best active German player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad