Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If the next coach comes in and continues to bury the kids nothing will change
This wouldn't be the worst thing if we wanted them to play a certain way and they just didn't do it.

How exactly do we want to play under the last couple of coaches?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
dont be so sure, i am willing to bet a lot that members of the leadership spoke up as well. people here mock trouba, but he is important here and he CLEARLY had ongoing issues with the team and how the coaches were using players and not holding them accountable. i suspect things are not as rosey in that locker room as some people think and it is not simply vets vs kids.
Panarin, zib and Kreider were probably all vouching for him. They ran the show so they loved him. Play time is over.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
With clueless David Quinn doing nothing and Grandpa Gerard just being a personality, AV's "cheat for rush chances" system has become the team culture, with a tenth of speed his teams had.

I don't think a Quenneville is any different although I'll admit I haven't observed him closely without the automatic win button he had in Chicago, which you can't judge a coach on.

Regardless, Quenneville is just the biggest name for a team that's once again becoming a collection of the big, obvious names. Drury's chance to show me he offers anything different.
I almost wouldn't mind Sutter despite him being a big name and a retread. At least he'd bring good 5 vs 5 play and discipline.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good move by Drury.

Anyone who thinks Gallant wasn't the (or at least a big part of the) problem needs to read this post by TopShelfSnipes.

Anyone arguing "but Gallant had the highest win % of any coach in NYR history" needs to remember that that is thanks to Igor breaking out with a Hart-nominee season during his first year.
I have missed that, but it's spot on.

I don't buy the claim that our players are slow. They just play slow, because they have to react to each individual play, instead of making a play from instinct.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Wasn't able to mention this until now, but I know a producer at MSG (TV) & I was told the shouting match did in fact occur & that Drury & Gallant would NOT speak to each other this entire season.

I have no other sources but if need be I can be vetted.
When did the shouting match happen?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This wouldn't be the worst thing if we wanted them to play a certain way and they just didn't do it.

How exactly do we want to play under the last couple of coaches?
We built a east west team and hired north south coaches is the ultimate issue, the only lines that played the coaches system were the kids and the 4th line

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Wasn't able to mention this until now, but I know a producer at MSG (TV) & I was told the shouting match did in fact occur & that Drury & Gallant would NOT speak to each other this entire season.

I have no other sources but if need be I can be vetted.
Not disputing this, but I’d think if it was ALL season, he would have been fired at the same time as the helmet toss.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
JFC, now we have to listen to these "why don't we bring in Messier" questions until we hire an actual coach. FML.

Here's why we dont. You could be the greatest f***ing pilot of all time. It doesn't mean you know how to fix it if it breaks down. It's not the same skill. Messier is in his mid 60s and not once has he taken a coaching job that was more tham a short tournament.

And for all those "he knows what it takes" people remember that Messier spent I belief his last 7 or 8 seasons captaining teams that missed the playoffs. Why couldn't he have just given those teams a speech and made them win? If he was such a great hockey mind, why couldn't he fix what was wrong there?
Career coach please. Give me the bright analytics guys as assistants.
I know Quenneville has some dirt on him, but by the time you're his age most people have something in their life they wish they could do over again. I can't imagine anyone who was there feels good about the Beach situation. I don't think you get a life sentence for it. If he's the guy, just win. The window closes significantly when Shesterkins contract comes up.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I almost wouldn't mind Sutter despite him being a big name and a retread. At least he'd bring good 5 vs 5 play and discipline.
I'll leave this here...no thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_181932_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_181932_Facebook.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Easy to scape goat him, but overall he delivered good results. Yes, this playoffs were disappointing but the Devils are a bad matchup and we all knew that, the majority of us voted to play the Canes.

I would like to see a better defensive system, better defensive zone exits, more movement and urgency on the PP and use our strength of our size to cycle and go to the net.

I’m hoping Cuylle, Jones and Othmann make this team, find a better defensive 3 center, move Chytil to wing.

Staple Trouba to the bench on the PP and 3vs3 OT.

We have 2 years left of Igor on a good contract and the core with enough tread on the tires, win in the next 2 years or tear it down.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
They need someone that knows how to play some sort of system that fits the team talent structure and someone who can adjust on the fly. IE the opposite of the teams last half dozen or so coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad