Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And if shesty wasn’t in goal for the games nyr won the devils might have won 6-5. It’s not like shesty had easy night those games. Maybe not a sweep but it could’ve been because it’s not like nyr dominated the games., they only dominated the score because of shesty.

Not really true. Especially for game 2.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
NYI fan who likes the Rangers (I root for all NY teams)...

I think this was a mistake to fire Gallant; Drury saddled the team with a bunch of retreads late in the season thinking they would perform well, but rarely do these late rentals ever pan out. The team, whose roster is VASTLY superior to the Isles', still needs more balanced scoring but won't find it in 35-year olds. I would have traded Lambert for Gallant 100x per week and 200 on sunday.
I read this wrong at first lol

Ghost of Arbour

Dec 23, 2022
The Rangers organization for top to bottom sucks. They need a change from the top down. Who's the director of scouting? He should be the first to go.
I hope they try to move the large contracts this offseason. It will be fun watching the kids flounder in the top 6. Then what do they do?
I don't think the NYR are that far from truly competing for a cup; yes Kakko and Laf have to play better, esp in the PO but that takes time and the roster does not need to get blown up like the Isles. A few more bounces and a few more grit/skill guys like a killorn or palat and I think you'll have your cup.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
I agree with what you’re saying but I gotta point out you praised Florida’s coach(it’s Maurice not DeBoer), and also trashed Winnipeg’s forever lack of structure when it was also Maurice who coached those teams for several years.
Lol my bad, yes, mixed up the two. Deboer was for the stars, but that's actually an even stronger team. Also maurice wasn't a bad coach, just was there way too long. The voice of a coach eventually drowns out.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
I have a serious question. With the Rangers need to get faster, and play hockey at a much better team speed, can a coach switch the style to make the team play at faster pace or do the personal need to change here, or is it both? I noticed against the faster teams, Rangers don’t play well and against the more physical teams Rangers don’t play well. These are only 2 of the many other issues with this Rangers team.
Put it this way. Rangers have the defense down. They keep things to the outside. The problem is they don't have a breakout scheme. So it looks chaotic, even though the hd chances aren't there.

When in the o-zone, there's very few prepared plays so in both instances players have to waste time thinking on where to go, where to turn. If you are defending, that gives a couple of seconds against your favor and we saw that being exploited.

The devils were also our worst matchup possible. However, game 7, no-show really displayed the lack of a voice. Trouba got the boys together and I am sure he tried, but this is why forwards are typically better captains. They have the chance to score and look like a hero.

A tactical plan, long story short, allows players to decrease their execution time, letting them have a transition game that was fed through mostly their d-men throughout the season. In the playoffs, it is hard to pinch as much without giving away more. That's what happened game 7.

The team now knows how to get to the playoffs. They know how to get deep. Find a guy who knows how to push the players and how to adjust.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Gallant had very little to do with Panarin not being fast enough to play his game, he's slowed down, he can't beat guys one on one anymore and ends up backhanding hope passes to anywhere. If you wanna say he shouldn't have been used as much thats fine but Panarin's play was on Panarin.
On this point, yeah Panarin freaking sucked lol. Not disputing that. I am saying you need a coach who focuses on getting the most out of everyone. And panarin has done it before where he was amazing 5v5. Sometimes, the coach just doesn't connect or know how to get through to everyone. Panarin lost strome, where he had no choice, but had great chemistry with, he had that whole russian thing a while back, like the dude is a lot more mentally fragile now. Especially, not performing to his standards.

You can hate it, argue against it, but you can't trade him because of the NMC, so you need a coach who can give his confidence back. Not during the regular season, panarin can do that with his eyes closed, but the panarin that destroyed TB.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Agree. Its scary. Literally how could he not know what style he wants the team to play. Everyone on these HF boards knows what style they need to play.

I guess he does not watch the team in the playoffs. Drury is just a puppet like every other GM before him. Nothing will ever change until Dolan is gone. More decades of letdowns by overpaid stars.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Lol my bad, yes, mixed up the two. Deboer was for the stars, but that's actually an even stronger team. Also maurice wasn't a bad coach, just was there way too long. The voice of a coach eventually drowns out.

Maurice butted heads with the Cats for 4 months. Just now he said he hasn't talked to the room since February and he's proud of how the guys are playing. In other words the players wanted none of that dino stuff and took charge themselves. Whatever you think about Q - him and Brunette gave the Panthers a sense of how to play, that crucially important thing Gallant failed to do.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Where did I absolve all of the other players? Fox just happened to be a name brought up by another poster as a possible Captain down the line?

And while I agree there is much blame to go around, Fox was still the one who made a monumental turnover at a pivotal moment in a series deciding Game 7. There is no rewriting that history, no dancing around it.

It literally had zero impact on the result of the game.

Reactions: Machinehead

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
On this point, yeah Panarin freaking sucked lol. Not disputing that. I am saying you need a coach who focuses on getting the most out of everyone. And panarin has done it before where he was amazing 5v5. Sometimes, the coach just doesn't connect or know how to get through to everyone. Panarin lost strome, where he had no choice, but had great chemistry with, he had that whole russian thing a while back, like the dude is a lot more mentally fragile now. Especially, not performing to his standards.

You can hate it, argue against it, but you can't trade him because of the NMC, so you need a coach who can give his confidence back. Not during the regular season, panarin can do that with his eyes closed, but the panarin that destroyed TB.

Panarin led the team in even-strength scoring.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Agree. Its scary. Literally how could he not know what style he wants the team to play. Everyone on these HF boards knows what style they need to play.
He doesn't know what he's doing. He just happened to be last man standing after Dolan's tantrum and so he's in the office. I'd take Gorton back to replace him, without hesitation.

It's absolutely unbelievable that he'd get into a shouting match with his coaching staff in the middle of a playoff series. Zero poise or self-control. Impossible to trust that kind of dude to make sensible, deliberate decisions.

Last edited:

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Panarin led the team in even-strength scoring.
Exactly.

Would love to see if someone has counting stats for Panarin's actual production when playing with Vincent Trocheck for more than 2/3 of a game at even strength vs. playing with literally any other center.

They don't have chemistry together and Gallant refused to see/acknowledge it.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
Do you wanna coach us?

We need a hero, a dark knight.
Bring in the dude in your avatar. He can teach them the physics of how the puck moves 3x faster than the players, that if the forwards give the D outlet targets, we can scientifically improve our odds to get the puck to the other end of the rink before the next ice age.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hear a lot about the Devils and how that's a team we should be like. Ok, fair enough, they're pretty exciting.

I also hear a lot about individuals. Panarin is why we're no good. Zibanejad is why we're no good. Fox is why we're no good. Hell, Kreider is why we're no good, he should have scored 6 more goals!

Let's go through the list I have here:

Nico Hischier - 0 goals
Jesper Bratt - 1 goal
Dawson Mercer - 1 goal
Timo Meier - 0 points, not a f***ing one
Tomas Tatar - 1 goal, 1 point

Their entire top six but Hughes is doing nothing. But nobody says it's a rotten core that can't get it done. They say it's an up and coming force with potential to be a dynasty.

It's almost as if, statistically, about half your forwards are going to go cold in the playoffs and if the team plays well as a team, nobody harps on it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Bring in the dude in your avatar. He can teach them the physics of how the puck moves 3x faster than the players, that if the forwards give the D outlet targets, we can scientifically improve our odds to get the puck to the other end of the rink before the next ice age.
yeah, it's getting tiresome hearing we're not as fast as NJ...

you will never outskate the puck. Our puck movement is and has been the issue.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Talking about how players do or don’t have chemistry is part of the problem IMO
Gallant relied on players having or finding chemistry rather than coaching them in a structure that would allow them to support each other or find ways that work together. If you just hope guys will find each other on the ice all by themselves all the time then you end up with bad 5v5 play

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

Rangers FO have no idea what to do.

Translated:
"We're looking for the right fit"
Sounds promising.

"We're not going to limit ourselves to any one style..."
We have no idea what we're looking for. Therefore our ability to assess fit is compromised.

:banghead:

Bad take.

Yeah. Same thing goes for Sullivan. He is an average at best coach that just so happened to take over a Penguins team that could have just been the All-Star Metro team. I don't get why people love him.
LOL - People hated him when he was an assistant here.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
yeah, it's getting tiresome hearing we're not as fast as NJ...

you will never outskate the puck. Our puck movement is and has been the issue.

New York Rangers General Manager Chris Drury has named Neil deGrasse Tyson as the team's new head coach. deGrasse Tyson replaces Gerard Gallant, after the head coach and team agreed to mutually part ways in the aftermath of the Rangers' seven-game first-round loss to the rival New Jersey Devils.

"I said that I was going to be open-minded about choosing a new head coach regardless of style or experience," Drury told the media during deGrasse Tyson's introductory press conference. "I believe that Neil is the right head coach at this time for us because he knows physics."

"I've been a die-hard Rangers fan my whole life," said deGrasse Tyson. "Now I have the opportunity to design physics-based zone exits and zone entries and revolutionize the game of hockey. It's a dream come true."

Drury said that the Rangers were challenged to transport the puck last season because players believed they could outskate the puck. He reached out to deGrasse Tyson, and things came together quickly for the astrophysicist to become the next head coach.

At a press conference following the Rangers' elimination to the Devils, Gallant grew frustrated by questions about his job security, saying that his resume spoke for itself.

"I don't read," Drury said. "But I watch a lot of hockey. I wish Gallant well, and I hope he'll find an opportunity to coach a non-physics-based hockey team."

Last edited:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Translated:
"We're looking for the right fit"
Sounds promising.

"We're not going to limit ourselves to any one style..."
We have no idea what we're looking for. Therefore our ability to assess fit is compromised.

:banghead:

LOL - People hated him when he was an assistant here.
I wanted Sullivan fired over Torts. I have no shame in saying that.

Reactions: RangersFan1994
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad