Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
I actually thought, given all the rumors and smoke, that Drury and the Rangers had already gone through back channels to get the OK on Quenneville and if that was the case (putting aside Q's past), I was ok from a hockey sense with swapping out Gallant for him.

But if instead it's just going to be Gallant out and Drury starting from scratch, I have little confidence. A step back is more likely now than a step forward. The ECF last spring is probably going to be the peak of this group.

Reactions: Synergy27

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
He wins. Thats all that matters.

I truly could not care less that a video coach touch his player.
He hasn't won since his all star team capped out. I think people are putting too much stock in a guy who won cups with Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, etc etc in their prime. It's like how Babcock became some sort of guru by coaching the red wings and team Canada, anyone could have coached those teams, he did squat with Toronto.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Drury should have been fired, NOT Gallant. The guy has two straight 100+ point seasons, here’s news….it’s not the coach! It’s the bloody GM and they way he’s set this roster and why he should have been the one to get $hit canned. What a huge cluster and dumpster fire Drury had made.
I personally think they both should probably have been let go for different reasons. The fact that 2 sure fire consensus picks haven't developed, the whole Andersson and Kravtsov saga, not addressing deficiencies in the roster and its usage, and the insistance of playing 2 4th line players in the top six for a lot of the year tells me neither has done their job.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Let me be the first to congratulate Peter Laviolette for being named coach of the NY Rangers. This team has a two year window. They aren't going with some young coach. It's inevitable.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers
Jan 8, 2012
NY

He had a ridiculous roster/core with prime Toews, Kane, and Keith.

He also gave a recommendation for that video coach who then used that to go and assault other college players.

And so you'd be fine with our players getting sexually assaulted. What a ridiculous thing to say.

It's truly baffling to me that we haven't heard a peep out of Drury yet. Even Sather used to make appearances sometimes. I don't remember seeing Drury all season.

Reactions: surlysailor

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Agreed and the candidate list seems to indicate the coach won’t be as successful. It’s a list of old retreds who’ve been with 7 organizations or completly unproven “hopes”.

What kind of coach even exists in nature that isn't a retread or someone completely unproven?

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
No quennville wasnt responsible for that, rhe hawks organization is. Quenville didnt give the high praise resulting in him getting another job. The whole hawks organization was morally bankrupt and prioritized winning
Quenneville was absolutely responsible. He had the ability to pick up the phone and report it to the police and didn't.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Rangers FO have no idea what to do.

Yeah, god forbid they interview people and assess their team vision(s) before hiring someone that fits.

Quenneville was absolutely responsible. He had the ability to pick up the phone and report it to the police and didn't.

And did so deliberately to avoid impacting the team. Pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: surlysailor

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I didn’t say it’s about numbers. Fox really didn’t even produce that much. Maybe someone else said that?
I said it’s about actually taking charge when the chips are down. Fox to me was one of the few guys who actually had a pulse when things weren’t going well.

Trouba also, totally agree. He has been fine. I was suggesting Fox for captain after Trouba is done.

Lafreniere may be the last guy I’d want as captain.
Respectfully, I did not see the part where Fox had a pulse when things were not going well in Games 3, 4, 5, & 7. Quite the opposite actually. He disappeared. Maybe he was frustrated. But, you cannot get frustrated and let it affect your game AND be the captain of a team. Have to be someone who can persevere and fight through that adversity otherwise youre a JAG, not a captain. It all culminated in Fox making one of the most awful turnovers in my 28 years of watching hockey. Lazy/frustrated/cocky, whatever you want to call it, it was one of the worst turnovers I ever witnessed. And he hardly took ownership of that in the postgame media scrum. Not everyone is a Captain, and thats ok. He can be a top offensive defenseman in this league, nothing wrong with that.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'll fight back on this a bit. In cbj, panarin was great in the playoffs. Gallant just doesn't know what to do with him. He tells him shoot, he does, but he doesn't tell the other players where to go or where panarin should try to shoot. The other players don't connect. How many times do we see players surprised by the pucks they get? They shouldn't be. They should be ready.

The devils utilized their speed for breakouts, so they knew anyone faster could coast to the outside and blitz our dmen.

Our d-scheme was simple- keep everything to the outisde, but it wasn't tactical. Trocheck knew his role- enter the zone and win faceoffs. In the playoffs though, faceoffs are more team based, but devils are better than us in faceoffs.

Point is I refused to believe a 95 pt guy is worthless in the playoffs. It just doesn't make sense that he'd equate to the same effectiveness as some ahler. You need a coach who is a communicator, a great one, but has systems and is tactical. Deboer was hailed as that guy, but he just motivated the right guy (tkachuk) and let him roll. They beat the bruins, credit where it is due.

Mika and breadman were shutdown all playoffs and that shattered their confidence throughout the series. Hischer is one of the best 2-way forwards in the league. You have to adjust as a coach to give mika some time with someone else or at least plan plays to use hischer's committal to mika to let another player not named kreider shine. And they tried. It didn't work.

But then came game 7. No one on the Rangers showed up. Drury wanted tarasenko and then fill out depth. Kane called. Gallant bought in. We boight in (not all). He wasn't even the issue lol. The issue was that the team went from one coach who had no system and preached defense as his status quo to a weak system that could be exploited and tailored with jot goaltending. It's what the Jets do for years with hellebuck.

You need an X's and O's HC, with a pp tactician and communicator, a modern age d coach who practices gap controls with the forwards more than the dmen and utilizes their speed more. I'd also try to get a faceoffs skills coach, but i dont know if they can. Rant over.
I agree with what you’re saying but I gotta point out you praised Florida’s coach(it’s Maurice not DeBoer), and also trashed Winnipeg’s forever lack of structure when it was also Maurice who coached those teams for several years.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Q had the ability to go into the trainers room and beat that predator senseless.

That's what I would've done.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

Bad take.

He hasn't won since his all star team capped out. I think people are putting too much stock in a guy who won cups with Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, etc etc in their prime. It's like how Babcock became some sort of guru by coaching the red wings and team Canada, anyone could have coached those teams, he did squat with Toronto.
Yeah. Same thing goes for Sullivan. He is an average at best coach that just so happened to take over a Penguins team that could have just been the All-Star Metro team. I don't get why people love him.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I wouldn’t be so certain Q is even out of the picture. Bettman’s not gonna get into anything involving drama on a high profile team during the playoffs. Bad for business. It doesn’t sound like Drury even had a choice.

In a couple months it’s just as likely Brooks writes “ The Post has learned Quennville now a front runner after league okays his reinstatement”. See how easy that is?

Personally I don’t see it happening, but who knows with this wacky team.

Reactions: CLW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad