Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Let me be the first to congratulate Peter Laviolette for being named coach of the NY Rangers. This team has a two year window. They aren't going with some young coach. It's inevitable.
"He had the best handwriting of all the candidates. He was the only one who submitted a handwritten cover letter." --Drury

Reactions: turcotte8
Jan 8, 2012
NY
We don't have a leader like Toews or Crosby here. Their coaches don't have to motivate anyone - those guys (in their prime) - motivated the locker room by themselves and with their play on the ice.

Pass on Q, Disco Dan, Sullivan, etc.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I’m not going to defend Gallant, but it seems like this is being overlooked.

I do realize the majority of the people who post here would be happier with 73 point seasons for the next ten years while drafting “talent” and “rebuilding”.
Just for the record I’m not defending Gallant either.

He was far from a perfect coach.

The optics of this move screams dysfunction

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Drury just went through a "comprehensive search" for a coach two years ago. What reason is there to believe this one will be any better?

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
The Rangers organization for top to bottom sucks. They need a change from the top down. Who's the director of scouting? He should be the first to go.
I hope they try to move the large contracts this offseason. It will be fun watching the kids flounder in the top 6. Then what do they do?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
"Fox with the laziest f***ing play I have ever seen. No accountability"
I should clarify, I was speaking of the turnover in Game 7. And there really can be no arguing that.

Did he “try” throughout the series? Sure he “tried”. But he didnt have a solution when his game was getting stifled. Couldnt overcome that. He clearly looked and played frustrated as the series went on. He forced an egregrious pass on the PP in Game 5 that led to a SHG. And in Game 7 it really came to the surface with a LAZY turnover on the PP in a 0-0 game.

Sure he had his Assists in Game 1. Great. Its a 7 game series and he was a big part of why they didnt win it.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
Aloha. I posted here from I believe 2007-2015 and left. Last I was here, I worked on a very in-depth best Rangers ever by position mess with Crease and some other folks. I’m pretty detached from watching sports, but have a lot of hockey background (player, captain, coach), and will objectively offer my 2 cents…

The Coach needed to go.

I watched maybe 40 NYR games the past 2 seasons. From a detached perspective, I saw special teams and goaltending that seem well-coached. And I was baffled to see a team that could not even execute a routine breakout. Dudes on this team seem to have no clue where to be without the puck when they're not on special teams.

This is not acceptable coaching IMO.

As a past captain, I expected me to keep morale up. But as a player you do exist in a bit of a vacuum – I do this, I go here, I cover that guy, etc. As such, I expected my coaches to see and execute broad-picture stuff. And when a team looks lost on ES, zone entries, transition, and breakouts, I put that on a coach.

And this NYR team looks unacceptably bad in those areas – every single time I see them.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
But Trouba threw a helmet, isn't that enough?
Haha, yep. Same thing :)

Also isn't it great when it's your goalie who, in a must-win playoff game, is berating his team on the bench trying to wake them up? Taking shots on goal himself because he's so pissed off at what's happening in front of him?

Whatever the leadership group is, they failed miserably this year.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Aloha. I posted here from I believe 2007-2015 and left. Last I was here, I worked on a very in-depth best Rangers ever by position mess with Crease and some other folks. I’m pretty detached from watching sports, but have a lot of hockey background (player, captain, coach), and will objectively offer my 2 cents…

The Coach needed to go.

I watched maybe 40 NYR games the past 2 seasons. From a detached perspective, I saw special teams and goaltending that seem well-coached. And I was baffled to see a team that could not even execute a routine breakout. Dudes on this team seem to have no clue where to be without the puck when they're not on special teams.

This is not acceptable coaching IMO.

As a past captain, I expected me to keep morale up. But as a player you do exist in a bit of a vacuum – I do this, I go here, I cover that guy, etc. As such, I expected my coaches to see and execute broad-picture stuff. And when a team looks lost on ES, zone entries, transition, and breakouts, I put that on a coach.

And this NYR team looks unacceptably bad in those areas – every single time I see them.
Do you wanna coach us?

We need a hero, a dark knight.

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
Do you wanna coach us?

We need a hero, a dark knight.
Even if I could, no. I coached a HS team, for a few games, in an emergency, in the early 90s. I'd be several thousand layers worse than any NHL coach. I worked my ass off to retire in my 50s. I did my time of work and no life for 2.5 decades. Now I want to sit under palm trees with my wife and do nothing

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I should clarify, I was speaking of the turnover in Game 7. And there really can be no arguing that.

Did he “try” throughout the series? Sure he “tried”. But he didnt have a solution when his game was getting stifled. Couldnt overcome that. He clearly looked and played frustrated as the series went on. He forced an egregrious pass on the PP in Game 5 that led to a SHG. And in Game 7 it really came to the surface with a LAZY turnover on the PP in a 0-0 game.

Sure he had his Assists in Game 1. Great. Its a 7 game series and he was a big part of why they didnt win it.

When an entire team gets shut down. picking out a player for blame doesn't make any sense to me, least of all Fox.

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
When an entire team gets shut down. picking out a player for blame doesn't make any sense to me, least of all Fox.
Where did I absolve all of the other players? Fox just happened to be a name brought up by another poster as a possible Captain down the line?

And while I agree there is much blame to go around, Fox was still the one who made a monumental turnover at a pivotal moment in a series deciding Game 7. There is no rewriting that history, no dancing around it.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
Not reading the whole thread, there was some hubbub about Drury and Gallant arguing during Game 4. Also, and I think someone mentioned it here, the Gallant/Kelly thing ended the same way in Florida and Vegas so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Not reading the whole thread, there was some hubbub about Drury and Gallant arguing during Game 4. Also, and I think someone mentioned it here, the Gallant/Kelly thing ended the same way in Florida and Vegas so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...
Does this mean Gord Murphy could stay? He's very Canadian.

Ghost of Arbour

Dec 23, 2022
Drury should have been fired, NOT Gallant. The guy has two straight 100+ point seasons, here’s news….it’s not the coach! It’s the bloody GM and they way he’s set this roster and why he should have been the one to get $hit canned. What a huge cluster and dumpster fire Drury had made.
NYI fan who likes the Rangers (I root for all NY teams)...

I think this was a mistake to fire Gallant; Drury saddled the team with a bunch of retreads late in the season thinking they would perform well, but rarely do these late rentals ever pan out. The team, whose roster is VASTLY superior to the Isles', still needs more balanced scoring but won't find it in 35-year olds. I would have traded Lambert for Gallant 100x per week and 200 on sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad