Confirmed with Link: GERARD GALLANT FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
For all this talk about Messier not being a good communicator, or motivate, I shall offer this. Back in January there was a Q&A at MSG with Messier where he went into the nuances of leadership and playing to win etc...he said before he came out for his segment he visited the locker room and spoke to the players. They responded by playing and winning what many considered the best game of tje season. That game was against the Calgary Flames.

I'm not saying that one locker room visit makes him qualified to coach the team, but his presence still has an impact. If the Rangers are going to hire another re-tread I would rather give Mess the shot.

IMO if anything this would make him more qualified to be an assistant than anything. Motivation and all that rah/rah stuff is only a small part of the job.

Coaches need to:
-Devise and implement systems based on the personnel they have.
-Get players and the front office to buy in to the above.
-Name assistants who are compatible with the vision.
-Develop practices that reinforce the systems and cover all aspects of the game, and run them
-Manage individual personalities, mediate disputes, handle players who want to play more, get players to embrace their role even when it's not their preferred one. That includes managing the GM where there are differences of opinion about how a player should be used.
-Make good, sound in game tactical decisions re: lineups, player assignments, etc.
-Deal with the media/press
-Deal with the front office
-Often not see their family for extended stretches and make time to both maintain personal relationships in their own life AND review game footage/results outside of the many hours a day they spend traveling, at team functions, practicing, playing games, or addressing the media.

That said, Messier's given no inclination he's interested in an assistant position.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The candidate pool is always retreads and if you look at the current consensus "best" coaches in the league - meaning based on management style and their systems - none of them came off the scrap heap. The orgs that have the Coopers and Brind'Amours went off the beaten path or took a chance on them earlier in their career and cultivated them into a head coach.

GG absolutely deserved to be fired for all the countless reasons I've detailed in previous posts. If you watch other teams in the playoffs move the puck, it is ridiculous how much better at it they are than the Rangers. That's something that's practiced (or not), and that comes from a structure provided by the coach. If the players deviate from the system, you bench them. If Panarin was such a coach killer, you bench him. Panarin was benched exactly once this whole season - for one powerplay - after a giveaway that led to a SHG against.

As for the vibes from Panarin, I get the sense he's someone who's frustrated with his inability to perform in the playoffs but doesn't fully understand why. A coach that had a clue would have looked at how bad him and Vincent Trocheck were together in October, November, December, AND January...and maybe not put them together in the playoffs. I still think that's a huge reason for his lack of playoff production. For all the time they spent together this season, Trocheck scored exactly TWO even strength goals the entire season where Panarin had an assist. That duo spent over 650 minutes on the ice together at even strength this year. You know who else scored two even strength goals the entire season where Panarin had an assist? The illustrious Vitali Kravtsov. In fact, Panarin probably breaks 100 points this season if GG just had the good sense to keep those two apart.

No one has "blossomed" under Gallant at all except Kreider - the players who've taken major strides in their game (Zibanejad, Fox) all did so under David Quinn and have largely stagnated since. Fox's puck movement has never been slower than it was this year. Zibanejad was scoring goals at nearly double the even strength rate in 2019-20 as he is now. The kids all posted career years this season, but I'd hardly consider any of them a smashing success given the expectations of fans and the org. for where they'd be at this point. Goodrow's "career year" under Gallant last year was largely a function of getting more ice time than he ever has before. Then, this year, GG badly overused the 35-year old Kane, badly underutilized Tarasenko who clearly had much more to give than playing 12 minutes a night. He eschewed X's and O's all season, then threw the team under the bus after Game 4 despite the fact that his personnel decisions were a huge part of the problem as evidenced by Game 5's result which featured no adjustments. Then, in Game 6, back against the wall, he changed things and it worked - the team won and got a Game 7. The Devils adjusted in Game 7, and he didn't. When the Devils got the lead, he went RIGHT BACK to what hadn't worked in Games 3-5 and the team got blown out the rest of the way as a result.

Right now, the best thing this org can do is scout other organizations, juniors, the AHL, and even Europe for a coach who has a habit of getting the most out of players - especially skilled forwards. Avoid the retreads, but getting rid of Gallant was ABSOLUTELY the right move.
Bravo! well done. nothing like the facts to dispel foolishness...

but that doesn't stop some ranger fans from wanting to be right despite whats staring them in the face

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
From Drury’s perspective, Messier comes with risks, particularly his existing relationship with Sather. I can easily envision a scenario where Messier starts going around Drury and undercutting him.
Yea, Messier is a big no go for me. I want someone with an ego to run the show, but he would be a mess.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Say what you want about AV. He at least had an identifiable system, dreadful as it was.

I think a huge problem with the stagnation of our young players has to do with the fact that our last two coaching hires have not been "Xs and Os" type guys. How can you hold players accountable if you don't play a real system?

While true, I think an awful system is worse than no system at all, to be honest.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
While true, I think an awful system is worse than no system at all, to be honest.

What would you say, out of AV, Quinn and Gallant, which one had an awful system or no system?

--------------

Systems aside, AV and Gallant both never took charge during a game, or god forbid taking a timeout to do something. I lost my mind on that shit last window around. Unbelievable to me.

Right down to wire, I was hoping for AV to do something on the bench. Anything but chew. But nooo, never. Gallant same.

I would like to endorse Cthulhu 2023, bring on the chaos!

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
It'd be interesting to know what % of this board wasn't born the last time Messier was involved in a playoff win. 18 May 1997.
I saw his entire career. I've been around for all the classic NYR hits we've come to love. Like my dad in the 70s saying, "Decades of futility... why can't we ever draft anyone like Guy Lafleur or Bobby Orr?"

Messier is not the answer imho.

We've seen this experiment with Gretzky – a guy who saw the ice and game at a higher level than Messier or anyone else who's ever played the game. Gretzky was also a minority owner when he coached, so it’s safe to think he had some control over management and personnel.

The Gretzky coaching project failed miserably.

Gretzky with 4 full seasons as coach, finished between 67 and 83 points. Gretzky’s fourth and final season: 36-39-7, 79 pts. The very first season after Gretzky left: 50-25-7, 107 pts, and into the playoffs.

The superstar player with little or no coaching experience does not have a good track record.

And why would anyone want a person unwilling to put the time and effort to learn the coaching ropes at a lower level or at least having been groomed as an assistant?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The guy literally said he “couldn’t believe” that he had to answer questions about potentially getting fired in his last interview LOL
Can u imagine that? Just because he has had winning seasons, doesnt mean your job is safe. In a world of "revolving" head coaches, I literally feel it's a crapshoot.

Ask any Ranger if they thought they played "well". If any say yes, I dont want them on our team. Well isn't good enough. GG falls into that category.

Not saying it's entirely his fault, ultimately it's on the players, but obviously he doesn't have his team's pulse. Not enough motivation, imo. Give me Emile Francis any day of the week. He KNEW his team.

Hell, at this point I would happily take Torts back. He's motivate these freeloaders.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
I know a couple of people who work in that field and the consensus is that Tyson is A) Brilliant and B) A raging asshole. Sounds like exactly what we need, tbh.
I work in satellites and have met him. He's insufferable. He's of above average intelligence but not brilliant, IMO.
The candidate pool is always retreads and if you look at the current consensus "best" coaches in the league - meaning based on management style and their systems - none of them came off the scrap heap. The orgs that have the Coopers and Brind'Amours went off the beaten path or took a chance on them earlier in their career and cultivated them into a head coach.

GG absolutely deserved to be fired for all the countless reasons I've detailed in previous posts. If you watch other teams in the playoffs move the puck, it is ridiculous how much better at it they are than the Rangers. That's something that's practiced (or not), and that comes from a structure provided by the coach. If the players deviate from the system, you bench them. If Panarin was such a coach killer, you bench him. Panarin was benched exactly once this whole season - for one powerplay - after a giveaway that led to a SHG against.

As for the vibes from Panarin, I get the sense he's someone who's frustrated with his inability to perform in the playoffs but doesn't fully understand why. A coach that had a clue would have looked at how bad him and Vincent Trocheck were together in October, November, December, AND January...and maybe not put them together in the playoffs. I still think that's a huge reason for his lack of playoff production. For all the time they spent together this season, Trocheck scored exactly TWO even strength goals the entire season where Panarin had an assist. That duo spent over 650 minutes on the ice together at even strength this year. You know who else scored two even strength goals the entire season where Panarin had an assist? The illustrious Vitali Kravtsov. In fact, Panarin probably breaks 100 points this season if GG just had the good sense to keep those two apart.

No one has "blossomed" under Gallant at all except Kreider - the players who've taken major strides in their game (Zibanejad, Fox) all did so under David Quinn and have largely stagnated since. Fox's puck movement has never been slower than it was this year. Zibanejad was scoring goals at nearly double the even strength rate in 2019-20 as he is now. The kids all posted career years this season, but I'd hardly consider any of them a smashing success given the expectations of fans and the org. for where they'd be at this point. Goodrow's "career year" under Gallant last year was largely a function of getting more ice time than he ever has before. Then, this year, GG badly overused the 35-year old Kane, badly underutilized Tarasenko who clearly had much more to give than playing 12 minutes a night. He eschewed X's and O's all season, then threw the team under the bus after Game 4 despite the fact that his personnel decisions were a huge part of the problem as evidenced by Game 5's result which featured no adjustments. Then, in Game 6, back against the wall, he changed things and it worked - the team won and got a Game 7. The Devils adjusted in Game 7, and he didn't. When the Devils got the lead, he went RIGHT BACK to what hadn't worked in Games 3-5 and the team got blown out the rest of the way as a result.

Right now, the best thing this org can do is scout other organizations, juniors, the AHL, and even Europe for a coach who has a habit of getting the most out of players - especially skilled forwards. Avoid the retreads, but getting rid of Gallant was ABSOLUTELY the right move.
If I could like posts, I'd give you them all. Instead I will write a letter to the Rangers encouraging them to hire you.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

200w.gif

All of this is spot on.

Reactions: CLW

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
And next year when this team is far worse and these players regress because the organization brings in some "defense first, x's and o's" guy the fan base will turn on that guy too. This is a group with superior talent and you guys want a coach who will stifle their creativity and lock them into some sort of a trap system just so the coach can say " I have a system."

The only way to coach talent is to let it thrive and give it space. You guys who want a coach who crams guys into a system I guess would have wanted someone advising the color choices of the Mona Lisa because certainly Leonardo Da Vinci was not able to do that on his own.
This is so short sighted and delusional. This team is not more talented than other top teams in the east. Keep treating them like gifted divas who are above coaching we'll get the same result as the past two years when we were out coached and couldn't score at all.

You don't want to stifle them with a Torts type guy, sure I'll give you that. But there are plenty of coaches who actually come up with transition and offensive zone schemas that breed creativity. Knowing where your teammates are going to be isn't going to stifle things dude. It's just going to prevent the clusterf*** we saw over the past few years where each skater played like an individual in the offensive zone and couldn't establish a forecheck when games got tight.

The team lacked any sort of offensive identity or cohesion other than "let's get some power play goals with Kreider screening and/or Zib's snapshot." That's not a recipe for success and they were outplayed and out chanced at 5v5 most of the last two years, even in games they won. They really weren't good at generating 5v5 offense even during the regular season against non-playoff teams.

This is just basic shit dude. They aren't good 5v5 under any analytical model you could find. Not a single one.

Playing like a team gets you playoff success, nothing less. And they didn't do that under Gallant.

Last edited:

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
This is so short sighted and delusional. This team is not more talented than other top teams in the east. Keep treating them like gifted divas who are above coaching we'll get the same result as the past two years when we were out coached and couldn't score at all.

You don't want to stifle them with a Torts type guy, sure I'll give you that. But there are plenty of coaches who actually come up with transition and offensive zone schemas that breed creativity. Knowing where your teammates are going to be isn't going to stifle things dude. It's just going to prevent the clusterf*** we saw over the past few years where each skater played like an individual in the offensive zone and couldn't establish a forecheck when games got tight.

The team lacked any sort of offensive identity or cohesion other than "let's get some power play goals with Kreider screening and/or Zib's snapshot." That's not a recipe for success and they were outplayed and out chanced at 5v5 most of the last two years, even in games they won. They really weren't good at generating 5v5 offense even during the regular season against non-playoff teams.

This is just basic shit dude. They aren't good 5v5 under any analytical model you could find. Not a single one.

Playing like a team gets you playoff success, nothing less. And they didn't do that under Gallant.
I’d like to point out that this was a roster built for today and winning today- how that is not obvious to everyone on this board is beyond me. So I’d suspect they want a win now type coach, considering their first overall pick looks like a D level beer league guy and their second overall pick looks like he might be, at best a plug along 50 point guy. So look at the list of candidates and tell me who is a win now guy that has not flamed out with other teams— multiple times???

All this nonsense about “play as a team” is comical. You really believe most NHL coaches don’t coach the exact same way using basically the same systems?!?! Come
On- and you don’t even need to listen to me— just watch any new player interview when they are acquired. Every single time they say “ this team basically runs the same style as my other team.”

Coaching in the NHL is way more about personal interactions with players and managing lineups and matching up lines in games. The penalty kill and powerplay are different all together as those are unique by team and personnel but 5 on 5 hockey- no teams are doing much very differently.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
All this nonsense about “play as a team” is comical. You really believe most NHL coaches don’t coach the exact same way using basically the same systems?!?! Come
On- and you don’t even need to listen to me— just watch any new player interview when they are acquired. Every single time they say “ this team basically runs the same style as my other team.”
That's the opposite of what most players say. Most say, something along the lines of "I'm still learning to be comfortable in this new system."

Every team plays a different style.

On the Rangers, however, it seemed like each line played a different style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad