Speculation: Gerard Gallant fired

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I disagree. When you have worse players you can’t implement a more creative system. When you have worse players you have to preach the basics. You have to preach positioning. You have to keep things simple. Worse players aren’t “worse” because they have high hockey iq. Worse players aren’t worse because they have the tools to execute creative and complex systems. This whole idea is backwards.

That's not how things work. In every sport (as in every job), we have seen how improved management/coaching/leadership can make significant improvements to even the lowliest. And its not so simple as to say that less ability necessitates less creativity. Creative coaching doesn't suddenly mean you need everyone to be Gretzky or Datsyuk or whoever. It is about finding varied and innovative solutions to your problems.

Not everyone is 'worse' in the same way. Flip has slowed down, but still has skill and passing vision. Zadina isn't physically really ready yet, but has great puck skills and underrated playmaking. Fabbri is small but is quick, plays with heart and has some subtlety in his play.

Why does every line have to play basically a similar style with varied effectiveness. Surely every wings fan of any vintage remembers our best teams having lines with distinct play styles to each other, and not just when the Russian 5 got together.

First thing I'd do is put Fabbri, Flip and Zadina together at the mo, and play either Smith or god forbid Perlini in a scoring role on that top line as Mantha's place holder (though Mo can play the east-west skill game too). Yes it would be a small 2nd line, but thats exactly why you need greater variety.

I'm not talking about trying to get Glendenning or Abby to play positional rotating East-West Hockey or expecting a line of Ehn, Erne,Nielsen, Lashoff and Biega to play like the Russian 5. But on the few occasions we've seen our best players try creative transitions or zone time this year, its been better than one would expect.

Also, I'm thinking long term. I want our best players to be inculcated with the habits that they will need when the team is good again, rather than the dross we are watching. And frankly its not as if the current MO is achieving anything positive.

To be clear, I don't blame Blash for the team being bottom of the NHL. They are there on merit! But I do blame him for wasting a clearly free-hit season with safe, unadventurous hockey up and down the line-up AND for so many of our players, having the worst seasons of their careers statistically.

Hronek, Bert, Mantha, Fabbri (and offensively only Bowey) have been better this season (at times). Everyone else has been worse, some alarmingly so. I know we have talent problems, but that doesn't explain the level of our performance this year.

And frankly when what you do doesn't work, but you refuse to try anything different beyond personnel rotation, that doesn't reflect very well

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
EOVV0hIXsAAyW5q

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
EOLTmB_XUAEWXGi

This was another. Gallant was fired even though Vegas was 2nd best team after Tampa since december 1st (or somthing) on expected goals. They have conceded more goals than expected thanks to goaltending problem and injuries at defence.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
It's stuff like this which makes it hard to take the critique seriously. Do you genuinely believe Steve F'n Yzerman would tolerate any coach that didn't have a system in place he believed in?

Like, come on. You're acting like one of us is coaching and using plays from NHL video games. Blashill is a pro with a deep knowledge of the game. There's a system. His players suck and get beat, so it looks like it's chaos, but there's a very firm gameplan.

What is Jeff Blashill's system? What is this very firm gameplan that nobody seems capable of executing?
Explain for us simpletons.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What is Jeff Blashill's system? What is this very firm gameplan that nobody seems capable of executing?

I love this implication that there's an NHL coach, who has Yzerman as the GM, in an organization like the Red Wings...

Who apparently has no system and is... What, telling his players to perform freestyle?

Like if I get out the whiteboard and start showing some Xs and Os, how will that persuade you if you're starting from a position so absurd it's bordering on conspiracy theory.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Anyone who doesn't think Blashill gets another head coaching job is just being naive.

1. This league cycles through the same 35 coaches.

2. Everyone understands this is a historically bad team, and no one outside the organization blames him for how bad the roster is.

He will find another gig easily.

Especially #1 is true.
He's never had consistent goaltending and the only legitimate top line talent he's even had was an injury riddled 37YO Pavel Datsyuk that probably already had his heart set on collecting the big paycheck years on his contract and getting back home ASAP, and a 35+YO Zetterberg with a bad back.
Don't forget a no-legged Kronwall!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I love this implication that there's an NHL coach, who has Yzerman as the GM, in an organization like the Red Wings...

Who apparently has no system and is... What, telling his players to perform freestyle?

Like if I get out the whiteboard and start showing some Xs and Os, how will that persuade you if you're starting from a position so absurd it's bordering on conspiracy theory.

He definitely has a system. @The Zetterberg Era reminds us (and is correct) that he runs a similar system to Cooper.

The problem is, and has been, there has been no successful adaptation to that system to make it work with the roster we ice. Cooper can run that system in Tampa, they have the talent for it. You can't ask Lashoff/Biega/Erne/whoever to pull off the same concepts with similar success. It's been awhile and we haven't seen it.

Good coaches adapt what they want to do with what they have and find a way to make it work. We have seen very little of that from Jeff Blashill.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He definitely has a system. @The Zetterberg Era reminds us (and is correct) that he runs a similar system to Cooper.

The problem is, and has been, there has been no successful adaptation to that system to make it work with the roster we ice. Cooper can run that system in Tampa, they have the talent for it. You can't ask Lashoff/Biega/Erne/whoever to pull off the same concepts with similar success. It's been awhile and we haven't seen it.

Good coaches adapt what they want to do with what they have and find a way to make it work. We have seen very little of that from Jeff Blashill.

Now see, that's fair. But that's very different than what was being implied in a bulk of criticisms.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Now see, that's fair. But that's very different than what was being implied in a bulk of criticisms.

You know, I often thought Babcock was overrated as a coach. But I do give him credit for being able to take some teams that had a blueline with guys like Kindl, Colaicovo, Lashoff, Commordore, etc and make it work and keep that playoff streak going. He was able to adapt his system so inferior players could execute it, and I think he actually got some of those teams to overachieve towards the end of the playoff streak to keep that thing going.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

There only one system and one goal. Get a top 3 pick and give every chance to Larkin, Hronek, Bertuzzi, Mantha and Fabbri to develop.

It is completely the opposite of the years past when we were good. Then we traded good players cause we had no room to develop them.
Ward, Knuble ... were traded away cause our goal was to win, and we did not have time no room develop them. Now it is the opposite. We have to finish last to get a top 3 pick and develop thr "core" players.

The process is painful and frustrating. But there is no way around it.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
[QUOTE="TheClap, post: 169215337, member: 232407"]What is Jeff Blashill's system? What is this very firm gameplan that nobody seems capable of executing?
Explain for us simpletons.[/QUOTE]

DUMP IT & hope to get it....

Reactions: raven756

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Someone is telling me Yzerman has hired Gallant. Am I getting played? Anyone heard anything?

Edit: I've received more context. This is being reported on Vegas radio. Blashill to complete the season. Still not being reported elsewhere so I'm chalking up to speculation.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You know, I often thought Babcock was overrated as a coach. But I do give him credit for being able to take some teams that had a blueline with guys like Kindl, Colaicovo, Lashoff, Commordore, etc and make it work and keep that playoff streak going. He was able to adapt his system so inferior players could execute it, and I think he actually got some of those teams to overachieve towards the end of the playoff streak to keep that thing going.

Blashill took a similar team to that to the playoffs his first year...

Losing Datsyuk and having Zetterberg's back give out along with Kronwall's knee was what ended that. Not Jeff Blashill. While yes a coach can adapt to what they have and I have seen him do that at other levels the elite element of the NHL isn't really being looked at close enough. At the highest level the margins are really thin, when guys talk about the 2% league I fully believe that and have heard it from numerous people within the game.

But they execute at a much better level. The Wings just have basically everyone playing a role or two up from where they should. There isn't really a plan for that and the league has actually sought to get out of that trapping element that teams used to cling to when they were overwhelmed. I mean could Jeff Blashill run a 1-3-1 all the time and just pack the middle of the ice. I have seen him try it a few times and we aren't good at that either. We have a D that will get you exposed especially with one mediocre goalie and a guy that looks completely finished. His job is very challenging and I see adjustments from time to time, for instance this season the Wings have been much more aggressive on the points, it is an attempt to break the zone and cause more puck battles, they just aren't good enough. I don't know what he is going to do to get a heck of a lot more out of the team. We could change coaches and go with a more defensive bunkering system but when they do try to absorb pressure they are really bad at it and have been for several years. That is also how you get Luke Glendening 18 minute nights that people go berserk over. Is what it is. I expect a change at this point, but I don't think Blashill is a bad coach. He is in a very tough spot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Losing Datsyuk and having Zetterberg's back give out along with Kronwall's knee was what ended that. Not Jeff Blashill. While yes a coach can adapt to what they have and I have seen him do that at other levels the elite element of the NHL isn't really being looked at close enough. At the highest level the margins are really thin, when guys talk about the 2% league I fully believe that and have heard it from numerous people within the game.

But they execute at a much better level. The Wings just have basically everyone playing a role or two up from where they should. There isn't really a plan for that and the league has actually sought to get out of that trapping element that teams used to cling to when they were overwhelmed. I mean could Jeff Blashill run a 1-3-1 all the time and just pack the middle of the ice. I have seen him try it a few times and we aren't good at that either. We have a D that will get you exposed especially with one mediocre goalie and a guy that looks completely finished. His job is very challenging and I see adjustments from time to time, for instance this season the Wings have been much more aggressive on the points, it is an attempt to break the zone and cause more puck battles, they just aren't good enough. I don't know what he is going to do to get a heck of a lot more out of the team. We could change coaches and go with a more defensive bunkering system but when they do try to absorb pressure they are really bad at it and have been for several years. That is also how you get Luke Glendening 18 minute nights that people go berserk over. Is what it is. I expect a change at this point, but I don't think Blashill is a bad coach. He is in a very tough spot.

I want to frame this post and put it on display in our HFBoards Red Wings museum.

I get why people are frustrated over the lack of outward changes after so much failure, but the above needs to be truly understood to get into the mindset of why Yzerman didn't immediately bring in a new coach and why he's stuck with Blashill so long when it seems half the league is changing coaches.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah but after his first year and before this year I didn’t see it either... and those teams weren’t quite as bad as what we have now.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
To clarify, I don't think Blash is a useless coach, or that we should can him for the sake of it. But equally I've seen nothing to suggest that he is exceptional, revolutionary, imaginative or inspirational.

Of course whether you think he's doing a good job with the pieces we have, or you think he stinks, most of our expressed views are, by necessity, conjecture.

At this stage I don't feel that strongly, but I want the Wings in the medium term to be pushing the envelope. I think Gallant's time at both Florida and Vegas reflect very well on him, and I'd be comfortable with bringing him in at seasons end, because I love what he managed to get out of Vegas' cast offs almost overnight.

If it were to happen, I don't think Blash would have to wait too long to get a job, but if he'd prepared to go back to GR I'd have him there in an instant, because he showed more than Ben Simon has, and he's got more to work with now than he did then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad