Speculation: Gerard Gallant fired

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Friedman chiming in:
4. Like DeBoer and Hynes, who were each unemployed fewer than 40 days, Gallant will have his suitors. Seattle, for one. Jim Nill pursued him hard in Dallas, although Rick Bowness has Dallas going strong — the Stars finished a season sweep of Colorado on Tuesday night. Gallant’s got a long history with Steve Yzerman, too, but there’s no predicting what he’ll do. (There are mixed reviews on his French.) Bottom line is, people respect his work. That’s two Bizarro World firings for him.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Holland had not traded draft picks or roster players. He was fully committed to building through the draft. His approach clearly didn't work, if it was successful we would look more like Boston than a first year expansion team loaded with over the hill players. I get that you want to have it both ways: Holland is an amazing GM and Blashill is doing the very best under conditions that are beyond both of their control. The fact is we looked very much like a poorly run organization over the past 5+ years.

I understand you don't view it this way at all. I'm just happy Chris Ilitch and Steve Yzerman understand how poorly the franchise was run and have taken steps to move beyond being the worst first year expansion franchise in NHL history.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the point you are attempting make here? The team is currently showing the fallout of being a team that continuously "went for it" well into the early and mid 2010s, prolonging the playoff streak. They were not a great drafting team due to draft position, and trading away important picks. The prospects that they did select were hit or miss, and a few of them were traded. Because of this, we quite literally experienced a generation gap on the roster. The key players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg were 37 and 35 respectively, with a litany of injuries by the time that Larkin made the Wings.

When you point at the team's record over the years, regardless of Blashill's quality (or lack there of, if you prefer) of coaching, it is more indicative of the roster evolution than it is the coach behind the bench. This is why I said, whether he is a good coach or a bad coach, the decline is not due to his coaching. It is due to the team. If you want to say that the high water mark of Blashill's career would be higher under someone else, and that each year since would have a higher than Blashill's squad result because you don't believe he is a good coach, that's fine, but let's not pretend that Blashill being behind the bench is the reason that the team has had a trend of decay over the past decade. This is what cyclical sports looks like; the playoff streak was the anomaly, not the norm.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This isn't a good look for Jeff:

I still believe this is a player thing. There's nothing a coach can do to make his team believe when the best goalie option he can send out fails to make a single save of impact, and the team is going to get their skulls caved in by a significantly more talented team. When it got to 2-0 and 3-0 with the Islanders recording something like only 5 shots on goal, that game was absolutely iced.

What I look to Blashill on is how the team comes out tonight in the next game after accepting the ass kicking and quitting on the game.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What would you have Yzerman do? Like what would show you that he "gave a **** about this season" even after he stressed patience? Should Yzerman be hopping mad up and down that Bernier who was playing well got hurt and throw assets equivalent to some dinner napkins at a 50 meter wide hole on the Titanic?

Fire Blashill.
Dump Howard and get a cheap, semi-capable goalie.
Those are two of the OBVIOUS things.

People would have had patience with a 68-75 point season.
It's disingenuous to act like a 45-point season was always in the cards and the only way to move forward.

Buffalo didn't need 45 points and a -140 goal differential to get Dahlin. They had 62.
Toronto finished dead last and won the lottery and got Matthews with 69 points.

So patience? Yeah. Give me a 69-point team or even a 62-point team.
Fire Blashill. Install Bylsma on an interim basis or hire your next full-time guy. Get an NHL goalie in here. Finish last. Get the best lottery pick odds you can.

But give your fans respectable value for their money and time.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There has to be a line between wanting to fix something and not wanting to pay the price for fixing it. Yzerman could be looking to bring in another goalie, but getting Mike Comrie v.2 isn't going to help, and we don't know the price being asked for a guy like Georgiev.

It might be something where it's not worth the assets to try to tamp down the fire.

We paid a price for Flip and Nemeth. We paid for Fabbri, Erne and Perlini.
I'm not looking for a Comrie-level goalie, either.
We need someone close to Bernier level - and I don't think that's so expensive.

At some point, this is just stealing from fans.
At some point, this is not helpful to all the youth on this squad.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not looking for a Comrie-level goalie.

Look at what we paid for those guys, though. DLR. Regula. A 4th. If Yzerman could pull a decent goalie in for a similar price, I like to think he'd do it. I don't think such a deal is out there, though. At least not for a goalie that would be worth bringing in (someone better than Comrie).

I expect them to goalie hunt in the offseason at this point. I'm hoping for Lehner, but I'm expecting Elliot.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Get Blash out of here now... This is BS

Yep. Clearly trying something different in practice is grounds for immediate dismissal.

I'm fine with canning him this summer if there's a better fit for how Yzerman wants this team to play. But some of the fan reaction is getting out of hand.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We had 20+ years in a row of playoff hockey, and now we’re “stealing from fans“ because we’re finally bad? That makes us sound extremely spoiled IMO.

If that’s stealing from fans, I don’t even know what a team like the Pittsburgh Pirates would be considered.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

How on earth is 62 points or 69 points... which is still abysmally ****ing terrible not stealing from the fans if 45 points is? The Wings aren't trying to be bad, they just don't have much in the way of acquiring impact pieces right now without severely draining their assets they want to hold onto. Sure, let's go out and sign, **** I don't know, Vesa Toskala. Any goalie worth a damn is under contract. Bernier was even playing fine. They put forth this team thinking it would be the 62 point roster that you are apparently okay with and it's been decimated by injuries. So now, you either ride out a bad roster with very little depth or you go crazy plugging in random pieces around to spark something. Which is actually what Yzerman has done with Erne, Perlini, and Fabbri and what he tried to do with Comrie.

Basically, Yzerman went into this season knowing they'd be bad and it would be trying. He didn't know that one of his few capable D would be on the shelf all year. That one or more of his best offensive players on a team with a dearth of offensive talent would be out for an extended period. AND that Jonathan Bernier would actually turn in an okay season and that HE would get hurt.

If you want to piss and moan about a wasted season... getting 62 points would be just as bad as this. Being kinda bad and being historically bad really isn't a huge change for this roster.

Where is a Bernier-like goalie on the open market right now that you can sign inexpensively or trade a meaningless asset for?

Firing Blashill is flipping over the cushions on the deck chairs on the Titanic. It is so insignificant to the Wings fortunes this year that it is embarassing that so many people stump for it. Blash is probably not that great a coach, but he's operating with about 6 players on any given night who are NHL caliber and 12-13 who are damn lucky contracts are guaranteed. I still will never understand your desire to fire Blashill and keep Dan Bylsma as the interim until the end of the year. So, you fire one guy and put another who is already on the staff of underperforming coaches on as a lame duck. I am glad you are not the GM or owner of a franchise.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Look at what we paid for those guys, though. DLR. Regula. A 4th. If Yzerman could pull a decent goalie in for a similar price, I like to think he'd do it. I don't think such a deal is out there, though. At least not for a goalie that would be worth bringing in (someone better than Comrie).

I expect them to goalie hunt in the offseason at this point. I'm hoping for Lehner, but I'm expecting Elliot.

There's a prospect or young player somewhere in our organization that we don't like that some other team likes. You can trade that guy for something.
You just have to work it.

If a goalie like Georgiev is really available? That's a potentially great move. Even if Georgiev is a run-of-the mill goalie - he can be your run-of-the-mill goalie for 4-5 years until you're good again.

Maybe a guy like Anton Forsberg comes in and gives you .900/3.10 GAA... and comes real cheap.

The idea that we can't afford to upgrade on a 4.26 GAA goalie does sit well with me.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
There's a prospect or young player somewhere in our organization that we don't like that some other team likes. You can trade that guy for something.

If a goalie like Georgiev is really available? That's a potentially great move. Even if Georgiev is a run-of-the mill goalie - he can be your run-of-the-mill goalie for 4-5 years until you're good again.

Maybe a guy like Anton Forsberg comes in and gives you .900/3.10 GAA... and comes real cheap.

The idea that we can't afford to upgrade on a 4.26 GAA goalie does sit well with me.

But this is just like everything that you argue. You once stumped for Bylsma because he'd definitely have the Wings play at a .400 clip. No reasoning as to why, he just magically would.

Who's to say you don't bring in Anton Forsberg and he plays just like Eric Comrie and gives up 4-5 goals in his couple of games. Or whatever. It's less that we "can't afford to upgrade" and more about why are we just assuming that Anton Forsberg would be better in that situation. Howard is bad, don't get me wrong. But Anton Forsberg.... 1) hasn't played since 2017-18. When he did play, he was playing for Chicago who was a ****ing hell of a lot better than this Detroit roster. On middling Blue Jackets rosters in spot duty? He's got 2019-2020 Howard stats.

So, try again. And you don't know whether Georgiev is available or not or what the cost is... would you be interested in bringing him in for AA? A 1st? Basically, most bargain basement options that are out there are Howard with a different name. Anyone with any potential staying power in the league like Georgiev... you have to pry them away because teams won't have to deal them for nothing. Changing out players just to change them out is not smart asset management. Georgiev for an affordable price? We did the "prospect or young player someone else likes" in dealing Saarijarvi for Comrie. Comrie lasted two games and was worse than Howard.

Just come to terms with the fact that our roster sucks beyond comprehension this season and half of the passable players we do have are sitting out right now with injuries. This is what a bad team looks like. The answer isn't to jump up and down and call for heads and trade anything that isn't nailed down. It is to take this medicine and build the team properly.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How on earth is 62 points or 69 points... which is still abysmally ****ing terrible not stealing from the fans if 45 points is?

If you don't understand that point by reading it, I can't do more to explain it.

The Wings aren't trying to be bad, they just don't have much in the way of acquiring impact pieces right now without severely draining their assets they want to hold onto. Sure, let's go out and sign, **** I don't know, Vesa Toskala. Any goalie worth a damn is under contract. Bernier was even playing fine. They put forth this team thinking it would be the 62 point roster that you are apparently okay with and it's been decimated by injuries. So now, you either ride out a bad roster with very little depth or you go crazy plugging in random pieces around to spark something. Which is actually what Yzerman has done with Erne, Perlini, and Fabbri and what he tried to do with Comrie.

You could go trade Perlini for an Anton Forsberg right. Take that shot in the dark. Forsberg SHOULD be better than Howard.
Maybe a Dustin Tokarski comes real cheap.

Basically, Yzerman went into this season knowing they'd be bad and it would be trying. He didn't know that one of his few capable D would be on the shelf all year. That one or more of his best offensive players on a team with a dearth of offensive talent would be out for an extended period. AND that Jonathan Bernier would actually turn in an okay season and that HE would get hurt.
Maybe you go find out what Jonas Johansson costs in Buffalo and see what he's worth.

If you want to piss and moan about a wasted season... getting 62 points would be just as bad as this. Being kinda bad and being historically bad really isn't a huge change for this roster.

Bravo. You're defending historically bad.

Where is a Bernier-like goalie on the open market right now that you can sign inexpensively or trade a meaningless asset for?

Georgiev is widely known to be on the market.
Here are some UFAs Gs on teams not going to the playoffs.
Crawford. Dell. Ryan Miller.
You think any of those guys come at a high cost?

You have to maintain some kind of minimum standard.

Firing Blashill is flipping over the cushions on the deck chairs on the Titanic. It is so insignificant to the Wings fortunes this year that it is embarassing that so many people stump for it. Blash is probably not that great a coach, but he's operating with about 6 players on any given night who are NHL caliber and 12-13 who are damn lucky contracts are guaranteed. I still will never understand your desire to fire Blashill and keep Dan Bylsma as the interim until the end of the year. So, you fire one guy and put another who is already on the staff of underperforming coaches on as a lame duck. I am glad you are not the GM or owner of a franchise.

Bylsma is a better, more proven coach. He's won a cup.
He's coached bad teams and improved the,
He's coached Buffalo teams that were NEARLY Blashill bad.
And when he did, he improved them.
And when he left, they returned to Blashill bad levels.

I don't care if it's Bylsma. But he's the simple, easy interim answer that can stabilize this bullshit until Yzerman determines the long-term option.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
But this is just like everything that you argue. You once stumped for Bylsma because he'd definitely have the Wings play at a .400 clip. No reasoning as to why, he just magically would.

Who's to say you don't bring in Anton Forsberg and he plays just like Eric Comrie and gives up 4-5 goals in his couple of games. Or whatever. It's less that we "can't afford to upgrade" and more about why are we just assuming that Anton Forsberg would be better in that situation. Howard is bad, don't get me wrong. But Anton Forsberg.... 1) hasn't played since 2017-18. When he did play, he was playing for Chicago who was a ****ing hell of a lot better than this Detroit roster. On middling Blue Jackets rosters in spot duty? He's got 2019-2020 Howard stats.

So, try again. And you don't know whether Georgiev is available or not or what the cost is... would you be interested in bringing him in for AA? A 1st? Basically, most bargain basement options that are out there are Howard with a different name. Anyone with any potential staying power in the league like Georgiev... you have to pry them away because teams won't have to deal them for nothing. Changing out players just to change them out is not smart asset management. Georgiev for an affordable price? We did the "prospect or young player someone else likes" in dealing Saarijarvi for Comrie. Comrie lasted two games and was worse than Howard.

Just come to terms with the fact that our roster sucks beyond comprehension this season and half of the passable players we do have are sitting out right now with injuries. This is what a bad team looks like. The answer isn't to jump up and down and call for heads and trade anything that isn't nailed down. It is to take this medicine and build the team properly.

Losing like this isn't building the team properly.
You don't have to suck this horrible.

I don't know why you, a guy who steadfastly refused to think the Red Wings needed to rebuild until they sucked, suddenly believe that the Red Wings have to be historically bad and lose 8-2 once a week... "as part of the medicine."

I wish I could understand your refusal to want improvement. But I don't. It's not logical.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We had 20+ years in a row of playoff hockey, and now we’re “stealing from fans“ because we’re finally bad? That makes us sound extremely spoiled IMO.

If that’s stealing from fans, I don’t even know what a team like the Pittsburgh Pirates would be considered.

The 20-years of playoff card?
That's a beauty.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
It's been 10+years of decline.

We've got last place virtually clinched in January.
It's time to start climbing back up.

Nobody expects miracles.
They don't expect disgraceful hockey.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Losing like this isn't building the team properly.
You don't have to suck this horrible.

I don't know why you, a guy who steadfastly refused to think the Red Wings needed to rebuild until they sucked, suddenly believe that the Red Wings have to be historically bad and lose 8-2 once a week... "as part of the medicine."

I wish I could understand your refusal to want improvement. But I don't. It's not logical.

I'm not saying that they needed to be this bad. I'm saying that now that they're here, you don't jump up and down and throw everything around because you're losing worse than you thought. With a healthy DeKeyser, Mantha and AA avoiding their injuries and a little more positive luck, the Wings aren't this historically bad. And my thought process is more that you should never have to "REBUILD" in caps. It shouldn't be okay to go into a season knowing it's a complete waste. THAT is stealing from people. Doing it for several years like the common thread around here is even worse. However, for this year? The bed is made. The die is cast. The injuries that this team absolutely could not weather if it was to avoid being terrible happened. I don't agree with what they did to get here, but once you're here with an AHL roster, what the hell do you want me to say?

To me, it doesn't matter if you're historically bad or you're losing every game 2-1. They lost 8-2 against NYI because Howard got bumrushed for 3 goals that were largely caused by bad defense leading to point blank, high danger chances, and the team folded. Then they sustained pressure and didn't score once... then Mike Green flubs a pass to the point which ends up in the net. Biega tries catching a shot that Pickard was lined up with if he just left it alone... and it ends in the back of the net. The Wings are bad and they know they're bad. So if they get down, they collapse. If they get bad luck, they collapse. Which is why this year now is almost toss your hands up and let them finish it out, because you're not going to materially change its trajectory.

Lastly, I never refused to think they needed to rebuild. The Wings had any "aggressive" rebuild thoughts quashed by Z and Franzen's LTIR money and its recapture and Datsyuk's situation where he wanted to bolt. That's three ridiculously high caliber pieces that you'd actually have dealt if you want to aggressively rebuild. Failing those as an option and knowing that the Wings either had to spend Franzen and Z's money on the cap or else they'd have been operating at a 10M lower cap than everyone else, I see why they did what they did. It wasn't thinking that they didn't need to rebuild, it was that you don't have to artificially firebomb your roster to get a couple picks. That it should never be WOOOOOOOOOOO we lost to Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Florida! And particularly that it should never be WOOOOOO, we lost 6-5. Perfect rebuild game because our young guys scored and it was exciting but we lost. That's essentially what we are doing this year... we just have so many injuries and a lack of offensive firepower that we can't keep track meets close.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not saying that they needed to be this bad. I'm saying that now that they're here, you don't jump up and down and throw everything around because you're losing worse than you thought. With a healthy DeKeyser, Mantha and AA avoiding their injuries and a little more positive luck, the Wings aren't this historically bad. And my thought process is more that you should never have to "REBUILD" in caps. It shouldn't be okay to go into a season knowing it's a complete waste. THAT is stealing from people. Doing it for several years like the common thread around here is even worse. However, for this year? The bed is made. The die is cast. The injuries that this team absolutely could not weather if it was to avoid being terrible happened. I don't agree with what they did to get here, but once you're here with an AHL roster, what the hell do you want me to say?

To me, it doesn't matter if you're historically bad or you're losing every game 2-1. They lost 8-2 against NYI because Howard got bumrushed for 3 goals that were largely caused by bad defense leading to point blank, high danger chances, and the team folded. Then they sustained pressure and didn't score once... then Mike Green flubs a pass to the point which ends up in the net. Biega tries catching a shot that Pickard was lined up with if he just left it alone... and it ends in the back of the net. The Wings are bad and they know they're bad. So if they get down, they collapse. If they get bad luck, they collapse. Which is why this year now is almost toss your hands up and let them finish it out, because you're not going to materially change its trajectory.

Lastly, I never refused to think they needed to rebuild. The Wings had any "aggressive" rebuild thoughts quashed by Z and Franzen's LTIR money and its recapture and Datsyuk's situation where he wanted to bolt. That's three ridiculously high caliber pieces that you'd actually have dealt if you want to aggressively rebuild. Failing those as an option and knowing that the Wings either had to spend Franzen and Z's money on the cap or else they'd have been operating at a 10M lower cap than everyone else, I see why they did what they did. It wasn't thinking that they didn't need to rebuild, it was that you don't have to artificially firebomb your roster to get a couple picks. That it should never be WOOOOOOOOOOO we lost to Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Florida! And particularly that it should never be WOOOOOO, we lost 6-5. Perfect rebuild game because our young guys scored and it was exciting but we lost. That's essentially what we are doing this year... we just have so many injuries and a lack of offensive firepower that we can't keep track meets close.

Agree to disagree.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

sure sounds like it has nothing to do with the coach :sarcasm:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
That's a beauty.

Nobody expects miracles.

It's been disgraceful for several years if you want to go down that path. Hell, several of these games were BETTER than ones from 16-17 or 17-18. I remember one against Arizona where we got our first shot with about 3 minutes left in the first.

Lastly, why the hell is it NOW time to start climbing back up when our roster is still decimated by injury? We know our dearth of good depth right now AND the corp of promising youngsters all primed at GR AND the fact that we will have tons of cap space for this offseason. Next year is where we should look to start back up. Right now? We have to finish tumbling down the mountain and assess how broken our legs are.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If we're moving the goalposts from "Yea, the teams bad, atleast we'll secure the best lottery odds. Who cares" to "Yea, the teams bad, we want to be last, but not Don Waddell's Atlanta Thrashers bad while doing it...", doesn't that failure point to Steve Yzerman way more than it does coaching?

You have basically the same roster as last year, albeit a year older, but with some decent holes without one of their best wingers (Nyquist) and some useful and/or productive supporting cast (Kronwall, Vanek, Jensen).

Yzerman was the one who decided "eh, here's Filppula, Erne and Nemeth. I guess we're good and we'll wait to see what Kronwall wants to do."

So if you're angry the team is so much worse than it was last year, you should be directing your anger at the infallible Steve Yzerman.

Reactions: Winger98

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Fire Blashill.
Dump Howard and get a cheap, semi-capable goalie.
Those are two of the OBVIOUS things.

People would have had patience with a 68-75 point season.
It's disingenuous to act like a 45-point season was always in the cards and the only way to move forward.

Buffalo didn't need 45 points and a -140 goal differential to get Dahlin. They had 62.
Toronto finished dead last and won the lottery and got Matthews with 69 points.

So patience? Yeah. Give me a 69-point team or even a 62-point team.
Fire Blashill. Install Bylsma on an interim basis or hire your next full-time guy. Get an NHL goalie in here. Finish last. Get the best lottery pick odds you can.

But give your fans respectable value for their money and time.

I think you nailed it on this one.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't care if it's Bylsma. But he's the simple, easy interim answer that can stabilize this bull**** until Yzerman determines the long-term option.

I honestly hope this happens. Only because it's going to be hilarious seeing the meltdown in here when he's giving guys like Abdelkader, Glendening and Helm 18 minutes a night and Zadina's barely touching 10.

Reactions: odin1981

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's a beauty.

Nobody expects miracles.

Yeah, once we get this top 4 pick and then maybe another. Once we allow some of these young players time to continue to develop. We may start climbing then.

This is how the life cycle goes in the NHL. You bottom out. You build. You hope you get some breaks. It takes time. No one is forcing anyone to spend money to watch this team. Some nights they are going to lose big. Some nights they are going to lose close. But they are going to lose most the time regardless. We have been immune to this more than most other teams, but every team has been here, and it's not always a quick stop.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

maybe he comes cheap. I don't know, and that's the point. I do know that every time I see something about Georgiev, it seems like the Rangers are expecting a bit of a haul. At least for me. Other guys, I haven't seen a lot of talk about. By the time prices come down, there might 20 games left in the season. And at that point I'd be tempted to just say to hell with it and keep the assets.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't get how this is a coach issue. Where is the player accountability for not coming to play with fire in their bellies every night? Why is it the coaches responsibility to pull it out of them?

you don't see how motivating players is a coach issue? that's literally like half of a coaches job....

Reactions: Oddbob and MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad