Proposal: Georgiev to Toronto in Offseason

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No there is no reason to do that, the Leafs entire core is signed and they will have about 16 million to apend and that's before the cap goes up, aand it will it always does.

If you factor in a 2 million dollar rise that's almost 18 million to spend.

They won't need to cut money and if they do need to it's Hyman he's the most replaceable piece
:skeptic:

But that's with 10 players signed, including only one dman presently on the NHL roster.

$16-18M to sign at leat 11-12 players ?

Oh well, let's wait and see...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Why don't the Rangers just bury Shestyorkin in Hartford all year, run with Georgiev and Lundqvist at the NHL level for 2020-21, say goodbye to Lundqvist when his contract expires in July 2021, and then run with Georgiev and Shestyorkin in 2021-22?
Shestyorkin's contract has an European exit clause.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Let's get @mouser or some other expert to give a ruling.
Whatever it is exactly, there is usually a benefit to not playing rookies 10 games minim b'c elc status slides a yr, or something like that.
If you're still of junior age...

And mouser already gave a ruling.

In case you missed it:

Yeah, I’m guessing he meant to say Shesty will be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Let's get @mouser or some other expert to give a ruling.
Whatever it is exactly, there is usually a benefit to not playing rookies 10 games minim b'c elc status slides a yr, or something like that.

With Shesterkin at his age I don't see any contractual benefit to keeping him in the AHL. I'd assume it's just a matter of getting him playing time. Shesterkin has logged 790 AHL minutes so far compared to 585 for Georgiev backing up Lundqvist.

- ELC is not eligible to slide.
- He won't be expansion draft eligible even if he logs significant NHL games this season.
- He turns 24 this month so he'll be eligible for UFA at age 27 regardless of accrued NHL seasons.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again, he's not of junior age.

Burns a year off his ELC even if he stays in the minors for the whole season.

I stand corrected.
Exclusively from contract standpoint, still is advantageous over Geo who will be rfa soon.
While now clear clock is ticking effective immediately on Shesty elcs, he at least is elc for 3 yrs.
So talent aside -- Shesty preferred -- Rangers better served dealing Geo on this basis alone.

With Shesterkin at his age I don't see any contractual benefit to keeping him in the AHL. I'd assume it's just a matter of getting him playing time. Shesterkin has logged 790 AHL minutes so far compared to 585 for Georgiev backing up Lundqvist.

- ELC is not eligible to slide.
- He won't be expansion draft eligible even if he logs significant NHL games this season.
- He turns 24 this month so he'll be eligible for UFA at age 27 regardless of accrued NHL seasons.
Thank you again for informed counsel.

The bold is a bummer.
You seem to be suggesting he bypasses rfa and goes direct to ufa eligible after his elcs, which means NY will have to have an understanding with him as to an extension properly timed with his final elc year.
But it is what it is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about the 5-6 other players to be signed to have a 21-22-men roster ?

Didn't you know? Leafs going to run with a 17 man roster next year. Who needs a 4th line? Dubas/Keefe got it all figured out cause hey, they won a Calder Cup.

All depends on what Muzzin gets to stay. Even at $5M AAV, it don't leave room for much more improvements. Best they can do is flip one of Nylander/Johnson/Kapanen and use that cap space to either get a RD in return for that trade or sign someone.

Everyone knows one of their top 9F cap hits needs to be swapped for RD cap space. My mistake, not everyone knows this :laugh:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I stand corrected.
Exclusively from contract standpoint, still is advantageous over Geo who will be rfa soon.
While now clear clock is ticking effective immediately on Shesty elcs, he at least is elc for 3 yrs.
So talent aside -- Shesty preferred -- Rangers better served dealing Geo on this basis alone.

The bold is a bummer.
You seem to be suggesting he bypasses rfa and goes direct to ufa eligible after his elcs, which means NY will have to have an understanding with him as to an extension properly timed with his final elc year.
But it is what it is.
No, the poster wasn't suggesting that. He will be a RFA after this contract. He will be 25 when his contract ends. 2019-2020 & 2020-2021

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No, the poster wasn't suggesting that. He will be a RFA after this contract. He will be 25 when his contract ends. 2019-2020 & 2020-2021

Okay
this is what I get for not checking CF
I stand corrected again.

per CF his elc runs thru next season, then rfa, but like @mouser said, once he hits certain age automatic ufa.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

The bold is a bummer.
But it is what it is.
If I remember correctly, June 30 is the date that determines a player age.

So he'll only be 25 at the end of his ELC, and thus have 2 years of RFA before hitting 27 and FA.

EDIT: That'll teach me sleep at night. TOWL beat me to it...

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad