Proposal: Georgiev to Toronto in Offseason

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What are you talking about? Why do you think Toronto would be willing to give up so much for what would be our backup? This makes no sense whatsoever. Why are you so keen on moving a goalie you believe is worth so much? Lundqvist is ancient and there's no guarantee your Russian guy pans out.

2nd part of your reply is about Rangers maybe should keep.
No, setting aside who is better, Shesty is at beginning of elcs. For that reason if no other, he is the keeper. Geo goes. Where remains to be seen, but he goes. Also, Hank may be ancient, but he still has plenty in the tank to still proceed year to year.

1st part is "Why do you think Toronto would be willing to give up so much for what would be our backup?".
I see him competing for starter, and if I am not mistaken, your starter is on an expiring deal. Doesn't mean he won't return, but obv, if Leafs already have NHL able guy there, that helps pushback vs Anderson's demands from standpoint of negotiating strength.

If TOR wants to make best of this season, IMO it needs help this year, and that includes G and D. NY can be a match depending on currency.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd suggest, that there just isn't a deal to be had between these teams then, at least in terms of something this level. Maybe just Georgiev.

Ok, let me give you a listen with an open mind.
What 1:1 or very small package deal can you offer which you honestly believe NYR will accept?

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
imo given your 1st is either gonna be too valuable to trade or owned by CAR, Nylander is the only piece potentially available NY would be interested in.

A package as described is best way to get most bang for buck across the board of the whole package.
If Geo was sold separately, it would be harder for Leafs to come up w/acceptable currency compared to other bids, and that being problematic would invite need to add, which could be avoided.
Restated, IF Lilj were more of a sure thing, then I could see, depending on how much of a sure thing and what kind of ceiling that is, I could see Geo for Lilj straight up or even Geo + for Lilj. However that is not the case. Lilj is not a bust but he is far from a sure thing having not yet cracked Leafs D corp.
Translation: result is Geo + maybe very small add for Lilj + 2nd [if you lose your 1st this year that increases wince factor].

So your best bet is a package w/Nylander,
unless
you wanna go the other way and take Brendan Smith off our hands.
If we were to go there, then Geo becomes part of payment by NY to TO. However, we need expiring cap dumps [Marincin + Spezza] in that deal and you are super tight vs the cap..

pls feel free to critique/advise of workaround....
we want to move Geo, and whether that is TOR or DET or whoever, should do that sooner than later.

Kerplop! The turd just landed in the punch bowl.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ok, let me give you a listen with an open mind.
What 1:1 or very small package deal can you offer which you honestly believe NYR will accept?

Do you agree with the value of this poster? No idea who they are a fan of.

He is only on the roster to allow Shestyorkin to play a lot in the AHL and get used to smaller rinks. He’s the heir to the Rangers net and Georgiev will return a 2nd and B-level prospect.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Very ignorant opinion. Most players with his ability and track record don't spend a second in the NA minors. He's let the GM off the hook by not causing a problem yet, like we saw Kravtsov do. He won't do so much longer. He'll go back to KHL, and be the best player in that league making millions per year, if he doesn't get a spot soon enough in the NHL.

If he does pan out, you're losing one of the two to Seattle.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Hank is expiring, Shesty is exempt and Georgiev can be protected, if it comes to that. I think one of them will be traded before then, most likely Georgiev, as we can't carry 3 goalies, Georgiev will soon be subject to waivers, and Shesty isn't going to spend another full year in the AHL.

Reactions: haveandare

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The Leafs will likely be looking for a young goalie with Andersen's contract expiring in 2021. Georgiev would be a good option to play 30 games behind Andersen.

Rangers will look for Shestyorkin for the future and it's unlikely they would move Lundqvist. Leafs would look to sign Mikheyev with money saved from Johnsson.

To Toronto

Alexander Georgiev
2021 2nd round pick
Center prospect (open to suggestions from Rangers fans)

To New York

Andreas Johnsson
Jeremy Bracco

Open to suggestions - the 2nd rounder could be changed to something else etc

Thanks!

Rangers aren't giving you picks. They aren't giving you prospects. Georgiev is worth a ton more than either one of those guys. This is not a reclamation project like Talbot or Raanta. This is a 23 year old kid who is extremely talented. Try something like

Georgiev for Bracco and 2nd and a 4th. That would be more like it. I don't care what Bracco has done in the AHL. It means nothing. The fact he hasn't made the Leafs with his AHL production points to serious defensive problems in his game.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I'll tell you this. If the Rangers put Georgiev on the trade market, there are going to be quite a bit of teams competing to make offers. I would think Columbus Detroit, Edmonton, Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Ottawa and Nashville would all be interested if their GM had a brain in his head. Their goalies either aren't good or are ancient.

Reactions: bernmeister

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Rangers aren't giving you picks. They aren't giving you prospects. Georgiev is worth a ton more than either one of those guys. This is not a reclamation project like Talbot or Raanta. This is a 23 year old kid who is extremely talented. Try something like

Georgiev for Bracco and 2nd and a 4th. That would be more like it. I don't care what Bracco has done in the AHL. It means nothing. The fact he hasn't made the Leafs with his AHL production points to serious defensive problems in his game.

I would be fine with that deal IMO.. But to say Georgiev is worth far more than Johnsson is laughable

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

That’s not entirely true. Shestyorkin is exempt and we can expose Lundqvist, if the expansion draft rules are the same as the prior one. I’m also not sweating losing Georgiyev to Seattle in two years, if we had to expose him. I think Seattle would take Skjei or Hajek, and I’m not sure either that Georgiyev is any more than an NHL back up.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That’s not entirely true. Shestyorkin is exempt and we can expose Lundqvist, if the expansion draft rules are the same as the prior one. I’m also not sweating losing Georgiyev to Seattle in two years, if we had to expose him. I think Seattle would take Skjei or Hajek, and I’m not sure either that Georgiyev is any more than an NHL back up.

Shesty is exempt
Hank expires. He will like do a short term renew, but not til after exp drft. Would be ufa when draft happens. He could be eligible to be taken as Rangers selection, but I'm sure he would let it be known if taken, he would retire. Seattle won't push it.

Shesty 9 games taste this yr not burning yr on elc.
We are holding that til late in case there is an injury in net
Most games to hank
sell geo
pick up a scrub for exp dr compliance
Hulska is your additional piece.

Seattle might take Skjei dep on who else is avail from NYR.
They would def take Hajek
Should protect Hajek, deal Skjei, leave schulbs for Seattle as much as possible.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd rather just continue the cycle of looking for a backup in FA or grabbing one for a late draft pick then trade a Johnsson-type for a guy whos gonna play 30 games and none in the playoffs that is a tiny improvement.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I'd rather just continue the cycle of looking for a backup in FA or grabbing one for a late draft pick then trade a Johnsson-type for a guy whos gonna play 30 games and none in the playoffs that is a tiny improvement.

THIS year. Georgiev would be your goalie going forward.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Here's the thing. Georgiev is going to take over from Lundqvist in a couple of years. Maybe next year? Why would the Rangers trade away their future starter and make themselves weaker?
igor-shestyorkin.jpg

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
THIS year. Georgiev would be your goalie going forward.

Did Fred die?

I'd prefer to bet on a guy "going forward" with either more NHL experience, one of our own prospects, or not negative based on GSAA and dSV% in his third year. Especially not one that could cost a Johnsson-type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad