Proposal: Georgiev to Toronto in Offseason

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
NYR would probably get better value trading him to a team that feels he can start for them.

That's always going to be true isn't it? If you are making a trade for a perceived starter, the cost will be higher.

Andersen had been a backup, but played 124 games for the Ducks in the prior three years, including 54 one year, due to starter injuries.

Georgiev has 53 games under his belt.

Andersen trade was for #30 overall, and a second round pick, that turned out to be #50 overall in 2017. Is a former second round pick, who was an AHL leader in points last year, and another second round pick, that much of a difference than the 30th overall, and a second... given that Andersen was much more experienced and proven at the time?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I'll tell you this. If the Rangers put Georgiev on the trade market, there are going to be quite a bit of teams competing to make offers. I would think
Columbus Detroit, Edmonton, Vancouver, Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Ottawa and Nashville would all be interested if their GM had a brain in his head. Their goalies
either aren't good or are ancient.

Chicago's goalies are fine. I expect them to resign lehner this offseason. If they don't then maybe they come a calling.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Shesty is exempt
Hank expires. He will like do a short term renew, but not til after exp
drft. Would be ufa when draft happens. He could be eligible to be taken as Rangers selection, but I'm sure he would let it be known if taken, he would retire. Seattle won't
push it.

Shesty 9 games taste this yr not burning yr on elc.
We are holding that til late in case there is an injury in net
Most games to hank
sell geo
pick up a scrub for exp dr compliance
Hulska is your additional piece.
Seattle might take Skjei dep on who else is avail from NYR.
They would def take Hajek
Should protect Hajek, deal Skjei, leave schulbs for Seattle as much as
possible.

Shesty's first year will burn this year no matter what.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Georgiev would probably return a 2nd. I’d rather just keep him. They have other assets to trade. Kreider/Strome/Fast gives them plenty of ammo for the 2020 draft.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why don't the Rangers just bury Shestyorkin in Hartford all year, run with Georgiev and Lundqvist at the NHL level for 2020-21, say goodbye to Lundqvist when his contract expires in July 2021, and then run with Georgiev and Shestyorkin in 2021-22?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
2nd part of your reply is about Rangers maybe should keep.
No, setting aside who is better, Shesty is at beginning of elcs. For that reason if no other, he is the keeper. Geo goes. Where remains to be seen, but he goes. Also, Hank may be ancient, but he still has plenty in the tank to still proceed year to year.

1st part is "Why do you think Toronto would be willing to give up so much for what would be our backup?".
I see him competing for starter, and if I am not mistaken, your starter is on an expiring deal. Doesn't mean he won't return, but obv, if Leafs already have NHL able guy there, that helps pushback vs Anderson's demands from standpoint of negotiating strength.

If TOR wants to make best of this season, IMO it needs help this year, and that includes G and D. NY can be a match depending on currency.

Andersen has another year after this one. Georgiev isn't competing with Andersen, a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Keep dreaming they will not be moving Anderson.

Why not? Right now he looks like a marginal prospect - and doesn't look like he has the makings of an effective NHL player... I'm not optimistic about that changing - but as a Ranger fan I'd love to be wrong about this. If another team views him as an asset and wants to take the chance on him finding his game/confidence at the NHL level - I'd absolutely include him in a potential deal (as a Ranger fan who's watched him play)...

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
He'd be the backup in Toronto, that is my point. No reason to trade a top six forward for a guy that'll play 20-30 games at most (way less actually since half our btbs are over with already).

My logic was that they will need a young goalie when Andersen leaves in free agency & they decide they like Mikheyev over Johnsson.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why don't the Rangers just bury Shestyorkin in Hartford all year, run with Georgiev and Lundqvist at the NHL level for 2020-21, say goodbye to Lundqvist when his contract expires in July 2021, and then run with Georgiev and Shestyorkin in 2021-22?

Shestyorkin will say no, he’ll go back to SKA to make millions, and the Rangers will be in huge trouble.

Reactions: pld459666

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Shestyorkin will say no, he’ll go back to SKA to make millions, and the Rangers will be in huge trouble.
Maybe he doesn't want to play in Russia. If the NHL is his dream, and that is typically the case today, then the Rangers could lay out that roadmap and tell him that is the plan. They inform him that he's part of their future but it starts when Lundqvist, a legend, is done in summer 2021. That isn't an unreasonable position.

Bolting is only a credible threat if he wants to play back home. I expect the Rangers think he wants to play on Broadway.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, I’m guessing he meant to say Shesty will be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.
He’ll be exempt regardless as far as I know. It has been discussed a bunch on the Rangers board. Only Georgie would have to be protected, is my understanding.

Reactions: bernmeister

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Maybe he doesn't want to play in Russia. If the NHL is his dream, and that is typically the case today, then the Rangers could lay out that roadmap and tell him that is the plan. They inform him that he's part of their future but it starts when Lundqvist, a legend, is done in summer 2021. That isn't an unreasonable position.

Bolting is only a credible threat if he wants to play back home. I expect the Rangers think he wants to play on Broadway.
Why would he not want to play home while making millions especially after being disrespected that much? He could be a starter in a few NHL teams now and you’re proposing to have him play in the AHL

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No there is no reason to do that, the Leafs entire core is signed and they will have about 16 million to apend and that's before the cap goes up, aand it will it always does.

If you factor in a 2 million dollar rise that's almost 18 million to spend.

They won't need to cut money and if they do need to it's Hyman he's the most replaceable piece
So Toronto doesn't play defense?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Currently, Georgiev doesn't have the value of the 2 players we'd be asking for, at least not by himself. From Toronto's perspective, I get it, they'd want something better back. However, we also want something back that fills a bigger hole for us, so Bracco isn't a center piece.

We're not saying Georgiev holds a ton of value, at least most of us aren't saying that, but if we're moving him I'd imagine a few teams being interested and we can probably get something closer to what we're looking for. Bracco has a lot of skill but I just don't see him panning out for a team not already established as cup contenders and looking to just bring a young kid up.

Reactions: egelband

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
The Leafs will likely be looking for a young goalie with Andersen's contract expiring in 2021. Georgiev would be a good option to play 30 games behind Andersen.

Rangers will look for Shestyorkin for the future and it's unlikely they would move Lundqvist. Leafs would look to sign Mikheyev with money saved from Johnsson.

To Toronto

Alexander Georgiev
2021 2nd round pick
Center prospect (open to suggestions from Rangers fans)

To New York

Andreas Johnsson
Jeremy Bracco

Open to suggestions - the 2nd rounder could be changed to something else etc

Thanks!

...and then Seattle claims Georgiev, and the Leafs are out Johnnson, Bracco, and Georgiev.
No deals can be made until post expansion draft to be feasable on a decent goalie

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
...and then Seattle claims Georgiev, and the Leafs are out Johnnson, Bracco, and Georgiev.
No deals can be made until post expansion draft to be feasable on a decent goalie
Andersens's contract expires the offseason of the expansion draft. He won't be protected unless he is extended, and if that's the case there's not much point in trading for Georgie. I think this whole trade is predicated on Georgie being the Leafs starter once Freddy's contract is up.

Reactions: egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’ll take your argument as true for the sake of this discussion. How does that benefit the Rangers? We don’t get top level goaltending from either Lundqvist or Georgiyev. Do many other teams hold back the top prospects in the league for multiple years to hoard average players?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Here's the thing. Georgiev is going to take over from Lundqvist in a couple of years. Maybe next year? Why would the Rangers trade away their future starter and make themselves weaker?
Georgiev is not going to be a starter in NY. When Hank is done it will be Igor Shesterkin getting the starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad