Proposal: Georgiev to Toronto in Offseason

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
The Leafs will likely be looking for a young goalie with Andersen's contract expiring in 2021. Georgiev would be a good option to play 30 games behind Andersen.

Rangers will look for Shestyorkin for the future and it's unlikely they would move Lundqvist. Leafs would look to sign Mikheyev with money saved from Johnsson.

To Toronto

Alexander Georgiev
2021 2nd round pick
Center prospect (open to suggestions from Rangers fans)

To New York

Andreas Johnsson
Jeremy Bracco

Open to suggestions - the 2nd rounder could be changed to something else etc

Thanks!

Reactions: Ola

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Georgiev+2nd for Kapanan+Bracco. Leafs will get a good backup until Scott+Woll are ready.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Rangers lack C-prospects with high upside, so no point give away the few they have.
Bracco does not add any value for the Rangers, so skip him and make it Georgiev + pick for something usefull..

Reactions: slg1963

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Rangers lack C-prospects with high upside, so no point give away the few they have.
Bracco does not add any value for the Rangers, so skip him and make it Georgiev + pick for something usefull..
Georgiev+3rd for Kapanan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No there is no reason to do that, the Leafs entire core is signed and they will have about 16 million to apend and that's before the cap goes up, aand it will it always does.

If you factor in a 2 million dollar rise that's almost 18 million to spend.

They won't need to cut money and if they do need to it's Hyman he's the most replaceable piece

Last edited:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
No there is no reason to do that, the Leafs entire core is signed and they will have about 16 million to apend and that's before the cap goes up, aand it will it always does.

They won't need to cut money and if they need it's Hyman he's the most replaceable piece
That’s 18 million on almost a whole defence. It won’t be that easy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That’s 18 million on almost a whole defence. It won’t be that easy.

I'm not. saying don't trade Johnsson or Kap but if you are doing that you better get a D man because you're right there are some holes, but you can sign a backup it's. better to trade for defense in this case.

If you do need to cut salary trade Hyman and replace him with Bracco.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Things I would change:

1) Make this deal during the year. Why wait until the offseason?
2) This feels like two separate deals. I would just make it Bracco for Georgiev as the base, forget Johnsson for a center prospect and a 2nd.
3) Rangers would need a goalie replacement either in the minors or as their backup, and the Leafs would have too many goalies, so I would throw in Hutch into this deal.

My proposal would be something like this:

:leafs
G Alexandar Georgiev
C/RW Danny O'Regan

:rangers
RW Jeremy Bracco
C Riley Stotts
G Michael Hutchinson

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Things I would change:

2) This feels like two separate deals. I would just make it Bracco for Georgiev as the base, forget Johnsson for a center prospect and a 2nd.
3) Rangers would need a goalie replacement either in the minors or as their backup, and the Leafs would have too many goalies, so I would throw in Hutch into this deal.

G Alexandar Georgiev
C/RW Danny O'Regan

RW Jeremy Bracco
C Riley Stotts
G Michael Hutchinson

Nothing here that really interests NY enough to do this.
I think NY would be more interested in adding to get Kapanen.
NY is not all that deep at C, so adding a C prospect or Andersson(who I would consider in the right deal) to TML likely doesn't work unless it is for something NY covets. The Rangers have a lot of G prospects in the pipeline and Huska will be next up for them in depth, they don't need one in this deal.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Things I would change:

G Alexandar Georgiev
C/RW Danny O'Regan

RW Jeremy Bracco
C Riley Stotts
G Michael Hutchinson

If it's 2 separate deals, I'm pretty sure the base was Georgiev + vs Johnsson. Bracco doesn't have a lot of value.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

They won't need to cut money and if they do need to it's Hyman he's the most replaceable piece

So who’s on defense? That money won’t go as far as you think it will.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
This was the type of comment I was hoping to avoid... rangers aren't giving up one of their young recent draft picks ...

This is just going to derail the thread now

Not necessarily.
As a Ranger fan I think Andersson+Georgiev for Kap+ seems better than any deal that includes Bracco, a scrub WHL player and a G prospect.

I can't get an accurate read of what the organization thinks of Lias. He's never really been given a spot to succeed and was playing mostly on the 4th line with.........below average depth players and face punchers and that likely doesn't help his fancy stats. My expectation for him is a defensively responsible 3C. NY sent him down a few games back.

I would consider moving him if the return was for an established decent player like Kapanen. I see some benefit here for Kappo playing with a fellow countrymen perhaps.....even though they play the same position.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Here's the thing. Georgiev is going to take over from Lundqvist in a couple of years. Maybe next year? Why would the Rangers trade away their future starter and make themselves weaker?

Reactions: Ashdown2

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006

It will go a lot further than you expect as it will take less than $5M in cap space for 3 spaces:

Dermott
Liljegren
Sandin

This leaves $13M available for 2 other dmen. If Barrie and Muzzin don’t fit into that structure, move on and find other options.

I still believe Nylander gets moved to free up more space or return a dman of similar age with a bit of toughness to his game.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If it's 2 separate deals, I'm pretty sure the base was Georgiev + vs Johnsson. Bracco doesn't have a lot of value.
I don't think that is true outside of HFboards. He is a quality prospect with a high upside. We are talking about a deal for a backup goaltender here. The other ideas aren't good value for Toronto, you could argue a Bracco based deal isn't either, but he's an expendable piece in the right trade.

Reactions: Kurtz

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Here's the thing. Georgiev is going to take over from Lundqvist in a couple of years. Maybe next year? Why would the Rangers trade away their future starter and make themselves weaker?

He is only on the roster to allow Shestyorkin to play a lot in the AHL and get used to smaller rinks. He’s the heir to the Rangers net and Georgiev will return a 2nd and B-level prospect.

Reactions: Thordic

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

With a 21 man roster, just resigning current UFA and RFA guys, there is $6.3 million cap room left, under the assumption that the cap goes to $84 million.

That's without any trades of any kind. Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Sandin and Liljegren.... Certainly there is a need for two more guys, and likely top four guys. There is the potential for so many moving parts at that point, it's hard to predict what might happen. It's clear that there would need to be trades though....

IMO, you want to bring in a bit more grit in the forwards, and you want to bring in someone who can play D, on the defensive side. IMO, there will be two forwards moved out.... Johnsson, and either Kapanen or Nylander.

Let's suppose the basis for a trade is something like, Johnsson for Ritchie... well then we have $8.2 million. It doesn't matter if it's Ritchie, or another bigger body kid, who brings some grit.
Let's suppose that Nylander is moved for a D man.... speculate away... there is noise around Pietrangelo, but who really knows...

If Nylander is moved, then there is $14.5 mil, for two D men... I think at this point, there is a team.... Sure, it's going to require trades, and probably some that people won't want to do, but they will happen...

Last edited:

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006

agreed . this trade doesnt make sence. georg isnt a true backup now anyways and leafs havw no cap for this kind of guy

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think there is a fit between the two teams considering the needs of each, but this isn't it.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Things I would change:

G Alexandar Georgiev
C/RW Danny O'Regan

RW Jeremy Bracco
C Riley Stotts
G Michael Hutchinson

Just when you thought Leaf fans were reasonable you get this beauty . . .

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
agreed . this trade doesnt make sence. georg isnt a true backup now anyways and leafs havw no cap for this kind of guy

Leafs need a bridge to Woll/Scott in the case Andersen leaves or he stays and starts to decline a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad