Waived: George Plaster

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah it irritates me when people think local radio not talking about the Preds is some slight to the fans of Nashville. It's an American thing, not a Preds thing. The only market I can even conceive talking about hockey a decent amount is Minnesota. I mean it's Vikings country but it's also the "State of Hockey". I know for a fact that even though the Kings have won 2 Cups in 5 years, LA sports radio doesn't talk a lick of Kings hockey. I bet we actually talk more hockey than a decent amount of NHL markets even if it's very little.

Tampa actually had quite a bit of hockey talk on, but that also comes with a team going very deep two years in a row, and Phil Esposito hosting a show and everyone there is from NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago or Canada...

But really I dont mind much that hockey doesnt get a lot of talk on the radio or newscast, at least from a personal point of view I never gain anything worthwhile when they do talk hockey. Most regular posters here could put together better hockey segments than they have anyway. The only benefit to more air time is drawing in even more casual fans, and at this point that's really not going to happen until the team brings home some hardware.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It's funny, I turn on the radio in the morning hoping to hear anything hockey and then realize, football training camp opened, hockey is not a story right now and honestly, I'm ok with that because at the end of the day when we were making our run in the playoffs, how much Titan talk did we hear? Not a lot if any. Every time I turned on the radio I heard hockey so I could get my panties in a wad over this but at the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal.

Now when training camp is a week a way we'll see where the stations are at and once training camp starts. Granted, football will be in swing by then but I think there is going to be a shift this year in coverage. I can't tell you how much Predators stuff I see around town now on people's cars compared to people with Titans stuff. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it and I catch it because I care about the Preds or there really has been a shift and people are following the Preds more and more.

I will say this, there are a ton more Preds license plates than they're used to be. When I got mine a little over a year ago I was between 4600 and 4700. That was in year what, 16 or 17? Now I see license plate numbers close to 6000. That's over 1000 new license plates in a little over a year compared to an average of about 300 per year since the beginning. I'd say this team has momentum and knowing the people in the organization they aren't going to let it dwindle either.

All that said, while Plaster supported the team and tried all he could to keep it here, the rest of his coverage of the team has sucked to be perfectly honest. As hard as I am on Willy, he has really tried to learn the game and get better with his knowledge base and that's all we can ask for. Plaster on the other hand, for a guy that goes to the games, should've picked up more of the game from just watching and maybe he has but he doesn't share it on the air. If he can take Mark Howard with him to Belmont that would be even better. I'd love to see the guys from A to Z sports back as they brought a youthful enthusiasm to their broadcasts and they were somewhat knowledgable on hockey.

Bye bye George. It's been fun.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
A to Z was the best sports show since Tom Callahan was on the radio here.

I don't mind Kevin Ingram on 104.5 in the mornings. Brent Dougherty and Mickey Ryan on 3HL are pretty good as well. Mark Howard, Frank Wycheck, Blane Bishop, Willie Daunic, Floyd Reese, and Dumb-rod Stillman can all be exiled as far as I'm concerned.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I must be in the vast majority but I love Mark Howard.

He is a very knowledgeable guy on almost any sport, and knows hockey very well. He was back on 104.5 this morning, and maybe he's on some medical thing.

But, still, it seems something odd going on with him being off the air for a while and Plaster leaving.

Plaster might not be a hockey expert, but he was smart enough to know what is good for the Preds is good for him, too. So, he would try to give them coverage. Like I said before, don't let his self deprecating persona fool you. He's no dummy and has a ton of business connections. Great hire by Belmont.

Sports talk is awful in this area with the exception of Mark Howard and if you are a college football fan the great Bill King on 95.9 in the mornings.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Oh, you're not the only one. I like Mark Howard--have since he was a new reporter doing weekends. I have never seen someone whose eyes lit up when he was doing his job like his did then. I met him and he was really nice. I had a bit of a crush on him for years--til Cale Hulse came along. Ha! I'm fickle.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I must be in the vast majority but I love Mark Howard.

He is a very knowledgeable guy on almost any sport, and knows hockey very well. He was back on 104.5 this morning, and maybe he's on some medical thing.

But, still, it seems something odd going on with him being off the air for a while and Plaster leaving.

Plaster might not be a hockey expert, but he was smart enough to know what is good for the Preds is good for him, too. So, he would try to give them coverage. Like I said before, don't let his self deprecating persona fool you. He's no dummy and has a ton of business connections. Great hire by Belmont.

Sports talk is awful in this area with the exception of Mark Howard and if you are a college football fan the great Bill King on 95.9 in the mornings.
Yeah we're in the minority but I actually like Mark Howard. I find it weird that everyone seems to rip on him but he finds every opportunity to mention hockey. I find the guys on Midday 180 entertaining (I actually went to high school with Chad for a year) but they more or less don't like hockey at all. Brent on 3HL clearly likes the Preds and they do actually talk some hockey on occasion, but his pure knowledge of the sport is next to nothing. Thankfully my favorite teams outside of the Preds reside in a city with an entertaining and funny sports talk station that I can listen to when 104.5 has run its course.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I strongly dislike both howard (who I find highly abrasive) and plaster (who I find highly arrogant and egotistical). might just be me.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I bet if I tuned into Chicago station it would be all Cubs and Bears, and in Detroit probably all Lions and Tigers.
Been a quite a few years and changes since I listened to Detroit Sports Talk, but at the time WDFN 1130 The Fan, had 2 good shows, Morning & Afternoon, spent a good deal talking hockey. Helped that the morning Host, Sean Baligian, is a big time Habs fan/semi Wings fan by default, & all around hockey nerd, but he was always fun to listen to, to get a different perspective on the Wings and all that.

You are 100% correct though, in that area, as pitiful as we Lions fans are, it's still the biggest talk pretty much during the year..we just never learn and are cursed, ha. :help:

I strongly dislike both howard (who I find highly abrasive) and plaster (who I find highly arrogant and egotistical). might just be me.
Not just you, couldn't have said it better myself, indeed.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
It's funny, I turn on the radio in the morning hoping to hear anything hockey and then realize, football training camp opened, hockey is not a story right now and honestly, I'm ok with that because at the end of the day when we were making our run in the playoffs, how much Titan talk did we hear? Not a lot if any. Every time I turned on the radio I heard hockey so I could get my panties in a wad over this but at the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal.

Now when training camp is a week a way we'll see where the stations are at and once training camp starts. Granted, football will be in swing by then but I think there is going to be a shift this year in coverage. I can't tell you how much Predators stuff I see around town now on people's cars compared to people with Titans stuff. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it and I catch it because I care about the Preds or there really has been a shift and people are following the Preds more and more.
During the playoffs, for every home game at least, it seemed like every station talked Predators for their entire show. Sure they had some football talk, but the majority of the show was Preds. I loved it. I have absolutely no expectations of hearing any Preds talk right now, it's the off season and there is absolutely nothing going on.

Something was different about the coverage of the playoffs this year. I've never seen this city, the people, the media just be so completely enamored with the Predators and the playoffs before, it was great. That said, I just don't think there will be all that much coverage of Preds training camp. There will be mentions and a few interviews and a scramble to see which station can get PK in their studio first. But I just don't think it will be want we are expecting/hoping it will be. I do think that as we get closer to the actual season starting, the coverage will really ramp up, especially for opening night and all the festivities that go along with opening night.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I don't know about that. Didn't the 102.5 teams broadcast from the sites during prospect camp? And seems like they had a special focus on Free Agent day.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
During the playoffs, for every home game at least, it seemed like every station talked Predators for their entire show. Sure they had some football talk, but the majority of the show was Preds. I loved it. I have absolutely no expectations of hearing any Preds talk right now, it's the off season and there is absolutely nothing going on.

Something was different about the coverage of the playoffs this year. I've never seen this city, the people, the media just be so completely enamored with the Predators and the playoffs before, it was great. That said, I just don't think there will be all that much coverage of Preds training camp. There will be mentions and a few interviews and a scramble to see which station can get PK in their studio first. But I just don't think it will be want we are expecting/hoping it will be. I do think that as we get closer to the actual season starting, the coverage will really ramp up, especially for opening night and all the festivities that go along with opening night.

I believe PK's presence and personality will drive significantly more coverage to the team. And i think it will happen earlier as well. He's all about promoting his brand.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
For all those who don't like Plaster,

wait til 102.5 Golden Boy Jared Stillman takes his spot. I bundled the stations morning shows with the Tennessean in a 2 for 1 ****show special that I don't listen/read.

Would hate to add the afternoon program as well

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee

wait til 102.5 Golden Boy Jared Stillman takes his spot. I bundled the stations morning shows with the Tennessean in a 2 for 1 ****show special that I don't listen/read.

He's ****ing miserable. I'll never listen to a program with him on it.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The Titans season has all but been over by the time hockey season starts. If they ever start winning again (maybe they should change back to the Oilers to match Edmonton's decade long rebuild) they will dominate the coverage especially without Plaster at the helm. Look at all the other radio personalities all former Titans players or execs and no former Predators and no hockey guys. Plaster and Wily really became the guys that kept the Predators in the minds of the fans.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I would like to hear Stillman on a show with other people. Anytime I've heard him he is basically talking to himself and very few people can do that well. Even Dan Patrick has other people in the studio that he can bring into the discussion from time to time when he isn't doing an interview.

At this point I have no idea if I'd enjoy it but there are 0 other local shows that interest me now. The only 104.5 show I enjoy is the mid-day and I rarely get to hear it. Couldn't tell you much at all about the 94.9/102.5 shows at this point other than I used to listen to 94.9 sometimes on my drive to work but turned it on this morning and it was Mike & Mike. I really don't want to listen to Mike & Mike.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I would like to hear Stillman on a show with other people. Anytime I've heard him he is basically talking to himself and very few people can do that well. Even Dan Patrick has other people in the studio that he can bring into the discussion from time to time when he isn't doing an interview.

At this point I have no idea if I'd enjoy it but there are 0 other local shows that interest me now. The only 104.5 show I enjoy is the mid-day and I rarely get to hear it. Couldn't tell you much at all about the 94.9/102.5 shows at this point other than I used to listen to 94.9 sometimes on my drive to work but turned it on this morning and it was Mike & Mike. I really don't want to listen to Mike & Mike.
The station must be run by idiots because they cancelled A to Z Sports. Anyway, I don't mind Stillman that much but there's a morning show I listen to in another city on I Heart Radio during his time frame. I also wish he'd be on with other people though. I don't generally like single-host shows.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I get a bit of a kick out of how Stillman baits people with his surliness. I like him okay, but I listen to the show 10-20 minutes per day at most. I think he would probably come across better to the audience with partners of some sort--Jordan tempered him somewhat--but he's going to take whatever show he has over because that's just his style.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee

Can't say I've heard him before, but just seeing his head shot, he has the look of someone you just know you don't like once you see them.

One word "Sirius". That way you don't have to listen to any of those blowhards.
Exactly! One of my favorite options I love having for my ride home.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

They tried the two man, and he ran Callahan off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad