Waived: George Plaster

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Atlanta Braves Atlanta Braves Atlanta Braves Atlanta Braves......they gone.

Welcome to the new Floyd Reese Flour Hour presented by Pappy O'Daniel at 102.5 The Game.

Gotta beat that competition.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Will be an Asst. AD in charge of marketing and promotions. That spans from ticket sales, to radio sponsorships, to cheer/pep band. But, in today's digital age, I don't see how someone who openly hates social media is qualified for this job. He is so stubbornly old school. As a Belmont alum and someone who has worked in that athletic department, I don't get it. It's not a lateral move, at all.

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
Belmont is a good school with a growing reputation. I would have pegged them to hire qualified people in their athletic department.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Will be an Asst. AD in charge of marketing and promotions. That spans from ticket sales, to radio sponsorships, to cheer/pep band. But, in today's digital age, I don't see how someone who openly hates social media is qualified for this job. He is so stubbornly old school. As a Belmont alum and someone who has worked in that athletic department, I don't get it. It's not a lateral move, at all.
The guy openly brags about having a flip phone he is proudly stuck in 1991.

FYI I love the auto correction of his name in the OP

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I wonder who will replace him. Because I can't imagine they would leave it with just Willy and Floyd. Because if willy is out of town, Floyd cannot carry a show by himself.

I would love if the A-Z guys were somehow involved, but since they were fired/canceled I guess that wouldn't happen.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
I like George Plaster. He's knowledgeable on many sports, even if hockey isn't one of those in most respects. I've always enjoyed that George believes a show should be done a certain way and have certain principles- and not just be a platform for making bold or outrageous statements for the sake of ratings. I've never been a big fan of of the First Take-style of radio/TV.

George also has a ton of civic pride, the desire to put that into action, and the connections and respect to make things happen.

I also appreciate the fact that he's given opportunities to a lot of local talent in the radio industry. Much of that talent do not have much of a hockey background, but there are some that have been coming up that do. Guys like Ryan Porth and Jeremy Gover who are already in the 102.5 stable.

As a Predators fan, maybe they will be given a bit more opportunity on the airwaves with this change.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I was in town last year and was all excited to listen to 102 and get some Preds talk. All day was some financial news shows. I was very confused.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

Oh that isn't auto corrected, that's done on purpose... I could've gone OT, but I chose "waived", which I feel is better and agreed, that station has been so awful for so long.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Oh that isn't auto corrected, that's done on purpose... I could've gone OT, but I chose "waived", which I feel is better and agreed, that station has been so awful for so long.
The irony is I'm 99% sure Plaster has made it known that he doesn't drink, but it still looks/sounds funny.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016

I don't care for him, way too puff ball. But if you buy his corny, self deprecating act you are crazy.

This is a great hire for Belmont. Plaster is a great marketer, self promoter. You don't get where he does and this long by being a dumb "aw shucks, good ole George" hick.

That's just an act for the Kenny the Mailman types. He's a very sharp guy.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I wonder who will replace him. Because I can't imagine they would leave it with just Willy and Floyd. Because if willy is out of town, Floyd cannot carry a show by himself.

I would love if the A-Z guys were somehow involved, but since they were fired/canceled I guess that wouldn't happen.

Steve Ulrey just left 104.5.

In the morning Wychek has missed about 2 or 3 days a week for years. He just made a big deal about he's going to be there every day for the longest.

Then, anyone heard from Mark Howard lately on the radio? Listen tomorrow and you don't hear the usual "Mark is on leave" or "Mark is on vacation" you usually hear.

And, Mark already tied to the Preds. Makes me wonder.....

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Maybe now the station will devote more than 5 minutes per show to Hockey instead of listening to Plaster ramble on about sports nobody cares about. :handclap:

Never going to happen with or without Plaster during football season. Just the way it is in any U.S. market.

102.5 has carried quite a bit of Preds coverage. But I don't think you will find any sports media in the U.S. talking much about hockey out of season unless it's a big trade like the Weber trade.

I bet if I tuned into Chicago station it would be all Cubs and Bears, and in Detroit probably all Lions and Tigers.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Never going to happen with or without Plaster during football season. Just the way it is in any U.S. market.

102.5 has carried quite a bit of Preds coverage. But I don't think you will find any sports media in the U.S. talking much about hockey out of season unless it's a big trade like the Weber trade.

I bet if I tuned into Chicago station it would be all Cubs and Bears, and in Detroit probably all Lions and Tigers.
Yeah it irritates me when people think local radio not talking about the Preds is some slight to the fans of Nashville. It's an American thing, not a Preds thing. The only market I can even conceive talking about hockey a decent amount is Minnesota. I mean it's Vikings country but it's also the "State of Hockey". I know for a fact that even though the Kings have won 2 Cups in 5 years, LA sports radio doesn't talk a lick of Kings hockey. I bet we actually talk more hockey than a decent amount of NHL markets even if it's very little.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I like George Plaster. He's knowledgeable on many sports, even if hockey isn't one of those in most respects. I've always enjoyed that George believes a show should be done a certain way and have certain principles- and not just be a platform for making bold or outrageous statements for the sake of ratings. I've never been a big fan of of the First Take-style of radio/TV.

George also has a ton of civic pride, the desire to put that into action, and the connections and respect to make things happen.

I also appreciate the fact that he's given opportunities to a lot of local talent in the radio industry. Much of that talent do not have much of a hockey background, but there are some that have been coming up that do. Guys like Ryan Porth and Jeremy Gover who are already in the 102.5 stable.

As a Predators fan, maybe they will be given a bit more opportunity on the airwaves with this change.

I have not listened to Plaster (or really local sports radio talk) in quite a few years. But I will admit I listened to him and Daunic all the time back when the Titans arrived in Nashville - where for a brief period of time I was more of a football fan than hockey fan. I do have fond memories of his show back then - and wish him well at Belmont.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad