Confirmed with Link: Geoffrion considering retirement

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I was shocked when I saw this news item. I can only imagine the inner turmoil to come to a decision like this for Geoffrion, which points to some pretty significant symptoms or dire recommendations from the Habs' physicians. In either case, I echo the sentiment that it's commendable that Geoffrion makes the smart choice favouring his health.

As he is still young, though, there is always the option to un-retire down the road if he is feeling 100% and gets full medical clearance.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Hate that he's in this position but, as a sucker for legacies, one of the few bright spot for me last season was getting to see him put on the CH. The only thing right about this (outside of his reasons for it) is that he's retiring a Canadien.

tmoney22

Jan 13, 2013
The fact that this happened on a clean hit according to the current rule book to a guy with, to the best of my knowledge, little to no concussion history, should open some eyes around the NHL. The game has gotten faster over the past few years and it will only get faster.

Things can't remain the same. You either let the guys slow each other down, or you change the rules. I know this probably won't be a popular opinion but the thing is, the NHL will end up with massive legal trouble soon if more players end up with the same fate as Geoffrion.

With that said, I feel sorry for Geoffrion who spent his whole life trying to make it to the NHL only to get his dreams crushed this way. I hope he finds something(s) else to make him happy. Good luck to him!
goodluck blake your a class act

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Good luck, hope the Habs have a place for him in hockey operations.

I'm glad to see he put his health first.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
So sad :cry:

He had such a promising future ahead of him. Sucks for that hit to have happened. I wish Blake the best of luck. Hopefully he can get healthy again

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Maybe it's time to take hitting out of the game.

to be honest, it was one heck of a violent hit, but it wasn't a "dirty" or a "cheap" hit, it's the kind of hit Subban couldve pulled off... bad luck, poor guy deserved better, I hope he'll end up as a pro scout or something like that

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Smart move, at least he got to play in the Habs jersey that his family is comfortable in and even scored.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
It's not every player who gets to retire from hockey with a Hobey on his shelf.

Not only that, he also got to play for both his home town team as well as the team his father, grandfather and great-grandfather played for. If there is any positive side to this, it's that he at least managed to make the most of the short career he got and got to do many of the things young kids dream of.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It's a lock Nashville will have a mention at their next home game. He's the first TN developed player.

Glad he got a chance to play for the Habs before this.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Very sad news. As others said, he worked his whole life to play in the NHL and he sure lived up to his family name and made it. Very unfortunate that we'll never know what he could have done with his career ending before it even started.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and there's no lingering effects that hinders his everyday living.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It's a shame he has to retire so young, but he shouldn't take any risks when it comes to his brain. It's a good thing he's putting his health first.

His career might not have been as long as he probably would have hoped, but a Hobey Baker trophy and getting to play in the NHL for both his hometown team and that of his father and grandfather is a unique accomplishment. His career ends with bad luck, but at least he will always have the memories, and should be able to find a job in hockey.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
FWIW:

John Glennon‏@glennonsports
Just spoke to Danny Geoffrion, Blake's dad. He says Blake hasn't retired yet, but simply given notice to Canadiens that he's considering it.

Nashville beat writer.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
As Pronger said, you have your "good days and bad days."

Guessing Blake's very frustrated at the moment, can't blame him.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Very, very sad. Fortunately, the guy is a university grad and I'm sure he can find a job off-ice that will keep him in the NHL world. It would be very nice to see him come back, but you have to commend him for doing the smart thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad