Confirmed with Link: Geoffrion considering retirement

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
https://twitter.com/Buccigross

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross
“I love the game of hockey more than anything and this decision tears me up inside,” Geoffrion says, “but we are talking about my brain."
Expand
6 mins John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross
2010 Hobey Baker winner (Wisconsin) Blake Geoffrion has informed Montreal Canadiens management that he plans to retire from Pro Hockey.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Feel terrible for the guy, but I applaud his decision. People first, hockey second.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Wise decision by Baby Boom, but that must've killed him to make it. It's the right choice though. Sports takes a back seat when it comes to dealing with your health.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Hope he gets a job in hockey in some capacity. Young guy who can be molded and has all kinds of time to hone a skill.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
The fact that this happened on a clean hit according to the current rule book to a guy with, to the best of my knowledge, little to no concussion history, should open some eyes around the NHL. The game has gotten faster over the past few years and it will only get faster.

Things can't remain the same. You either let the guys slow each other down, or you change the rules. I know this probably won't be a popular opinion but the thing is, the NHL will end up with massive legal trouble soon if more players end up with the same fate as Geoffrion.

With that said, I feel sorry for Geoffrion who spent his whole life trying to make it to the NHL only to get his dreams crushed this way. I hope he finds something(s) else to make him happy. Good luck to him!

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
The fact that this happened on a clean hit according to the current rule book to a guy with, to the best of my knowledge, little to no concussion history, should open some eyes around the NHL. The game has gotten faster over the past few years and it will only get faster.

Things can't remain the same. You either let the guys slow each other down, or you change the rules. I know this probably won't be a popular opinion but the thing is, the NHL will end up with massive legal trouble soon if more players end up with the same fate as Geoffrion.

It's not he hit. It's the skate.

Halifaxhab*

I feel bad for him, he had so much potential and was in a great position to excell in his chosen career.

I hope he has no lingering effects that hurt his daily life. And a classy move by the Habs would be to give him some kind of job i the organization due to the reasons behid his forced decision.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto

With that said, I feel sorry for Geoffrion who spent his whole life trying to make it to the NHL only to get his dreams crushed this way. I hope he finds something(s) else to make him happy. Good luck to him!

This post makes no sense, it was an extremely unfortunate play but it is a risk that comes on the ice. Wasn't even a concussion.

Anywho, sad to hear but very smart move by Blake, I knew this was coming when I heard the extent of the injury. Very sad, but he's lucky to be as well as he is now.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Definitely not surprised. He suffered a pretty severe injury. It could have been worse. I'm sure he's still suffering from it somehow. I don't blame him for not wanting to try at it again. Especially if he risks putting himself in a way worse situation. Imagine trying to play while always stressed and unsure if there's some dude behind you that's going to send you into the boards and make you leave on a stretcher, all because you had a very serious injury that could be life threatening. You just can't play in those conditions.

Wise yet tough decision Boom Jr. A good one choice, imo.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wow, horrible news. I liked the kid a lot. Hopefully the Habs can find a position for him somewhere off the ice. Class act and smart man.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
If this thread turns into a concussion/cleaning up the game thread, then I will officially retire from hfboards. Why can't people ever discuss something without bringing up their personal agenda?

It's a player who was injured and now is retiring from hockey, no need to make it about anything else.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
It's not every player who gets to retire from hockey with a Hobey on his shelf. Kudos to the kid for a great, if abbreviated, career - and best wishes for a life free from further health issues.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
:(. Hope he is going to be okay long term. This guy deserves a spot in management with MTL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad