Geoff Molson - When will he understand?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I feel that the Canadiens have a problem within their system that lets down players like Poehling. It's easy to forget that psychology plays a huge role in sports and 99% of the guys who are drafted into the NHL have been the best players on their teams since peewee. And then Montreal gets a hold of them, dumps them in the minors on a badly losing team and IF they get called up, they are stuck on the 4th line with a couple plumbers with no possibility of contributing offensively (which is presumably why he was drafted in the first place), the confidence goes right into the toilet and then everyone stands around scratching their heads asking "I wonder what's wrong with that kid?"

Can't disagree that this developmental philosophy is a big part of the problem with MON's draft picks turning out or not.

MON's philosophy is steeped in the Bowman era still. It never adapted to today's game and is particularly harmful in a Cap world.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'm not sure I follow you. First,what do you mean that people bitch about Savard? I'm new here, so maybe that just means people here throw him under the bus too but if that's true, they shouldn't. The man was a genius compared to all who have come after. And yes, I agree with you...I don't think Sam Pollock spoke French but that's exactly my point. It should be irrelevant, so like I said set up a management structure like the Leafs did where no one really knew who was calling the shots lol (Shanahan, Lameirelo or Dubas) only in our case make sure one or more speak French.
I mean that Savard helped Geoff Molson find a GM.. which turned out to be Bergevin. So, I mean, how can we be sure Savard is the right guy to pick a GM... but yeah, looking at all options, not limited to language, Savard could help out in a better. Does he stil have connections to have good recommendations? We'd have to see.
I agree that one french speaking guy among them for the media interviews could be enough.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I mean that Savard helped Geoff Molson find a GM.. which turned out to be Bergevin. So, I mean, how can we be sure Savard is the right guy to pick a GM... but yeah, looking at all options, not limited to language, Savard could help out in a better. Does he stil have connections to have good recommendations? We'd have to see.
I agree that one french speaking guy among them for the media interviews could be enough.
Savard wasn't the only one fooled by Bergevin. We all were.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
MB is a fancy talker...but the past FIVE years without any kind of results should have him fired. No excuses there....
This is on the rich owner, Money Mol$on.
1e26d330de5e635b9d57315ab1b99bb7.jpg

Sign is gone since August 2016...

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
MB is a fancy talker...but the past FIVE years without any kind of results should have him fired. No excuses there....
This is on the rich owner, Money Mol$on.
You know, if he had his current approach when he got here and admitted this would take a while to fix because we had to go with youth and build through the draft, more people would have bought into it. But even so, you can’t execute on that plan half way and still try to compete because you miss the high end talent at the top of the draft. He needs to deal Price and Weber.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You know, if he had his current approach when he got here and admitted this would take a while to fix because we had to go with youth and build through the draft, more people would have bought into it. But even so, you can’t execute on that plan half way and still try to compete because you miss the high end talent at the top of the draft. He needs to deal Price and Weber.
Time for Money Mol$on and MB to move aside, admit they tried, and failed. We need better people running the show.

Reactions: Miller Time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another of Geoff's ideas for the Bell Center that Covid caused to be postponed.

File: Hotdog Improvement for 2020-21 Season!

l6dJkPv.jpg

Reactions: BLONG7

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Good opportunity to remind people that they should take a first aid course; it's only 1 day and it could save a life.

The Canadian Red Cross offer such courses for about 100$-150$. I never regretted taking that course, learned a few tricks that while doesn't make me a health care professional, at least gives me some semblance of knowing what to do if someone suffocate by eating, is unconscious and not breathing, has an extreme allergic reaction, is bleeding severely, breaks his arm, etc.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Molsons know how to make money.

All they need to get back to is regular season success and the fans of Montreal will come in droves. That's all he wants. The bottom line.

He saves money having an internal cap and not hiring another employee to be Da President of hockey ops.

We are literally a big market parody of the vintage Nashville Predators. We got a goalie and one hulking Shea Weber. But unlike Nashville, our D factory is the equivalent low end tools made in China being sent to Harbor Freight.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I know this is unpopular on this forum, but I really like Geoff Molson and hope he stays President for a long time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know this is unpopular on this forum, but I really like Geoff Molson and hope he stays President for a long time.
And zero results on the ice? Most fans don't care about Mol$on either way, nor should we, he is part of an ownership group that seemingly does not care about the results of the team, only the $$$

So, if you are ok with zero results, you are not a fan of the TEAM, but the owner? Curious.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Why, why do you like him?
because he is a habs fan, because he signs the cheque, because he lets the GM do his thing. SO what exactly do you want, an owner that low balls all contracts, an owned that always but always stays at the bottom of the cap to make the most money at all times, An owner that trades away all best player because they want more money.
An owner that that does not give a S--T about the fans only the bank account and an owner that would sell and move the team to anywhere if the price was right leaving all Hab fans with NOTHING and NO hockey in MTL forever. If you think it can't be worse you had better THINK AGAIN. Ask the Leafs fans about the BALLARD years.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
because he is a habs fan, because he signs the cheque, because he lets the GM do his thing. SO what exactly do you want, an owner that low balls all contracts, an owned that always but always stays at the bottom of the cap to make the most money at all times, An owner that trades away all best player because they want more money.
An owner that that does not give a S--T about the fans only the bank account and an owner that would sell and move the team to anywhere if the price was right leaving all Hab fans with NOTHING and NO hockey in MTL forever. If you think it can't be worse you had better THINK AGAIN. Ask the Leafs fans about the BALLARD years.

Geoff signs the cheque his shareholders fill his pockets. Also we haven't had the chance to trade away the 'best players who want more money' because its never happened. The last 'almost star' , bolted. Rads wouldn't stay, he hated Bergy.

He rewards failure, not success. I'm amazed the company isn't broke yet.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Geoff signs the cheque his shareholders fill his pockets. Also we haven't had the chance to trade away the 'best players who want more money' because its never happened. The last 'almost star' , bolted. Rads wouldn't stay, he hated Bergy.

LOL is this the new groupthink? Why did he leave Russia tho sign with him the first place then...

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
And zero results on the ice? Most fans don't care about Mol$on either way, nor should we, he is part of an ownership group that seemingly does not care about the results of the team, only the $$$

So, if you are ok with zero results, you are not a fan of the TEAM, but the owner? Curious.

To think Molson doesn't care about results is stupid. I would bet my life he cares a great deal about the team winning. This doesn't preclude him caring about running a healthy business, even if some decisions might put him in conflict of interest between these two goals. Anyway I don't see how money was ever a problem with the team.

A major problem was figuring out the core we had wouldn't deliver and then having to reset (a difficult thing to do), and that's more on Subban than anyone else. Subban was the #1 source of all Subban-related problems. Isn't that obvious? That we got someone of the caliber of Shea Weber for this dead weight is still amazing to me years later.

Bergevin is doing a pretty good job as far as I'm concerned, but he had bad cards dealt to him with the previous core; bad cards that looked great for a while. There's really not much he could have done to fix this quickly IMO. It's expecting too much.

We are now looking at having a great RHS/LHS center 1-2 punch for years to come, and we have a pretty good goalie prospect in the system as well as a lot of decent mid-level young players and prospects (like Romanov, Harris, Caufield, Poehling, etc). True that we need a #1D for the future and this will be the big goal to acquire one. All things considered our future looks pretty promising, even with Price and Weber slowing down, but a #1D would push us over the top. Will we get one? Who knows.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Radulov wanted to stay. Bergevin was in the middle of his Russian expulsion period, and treated Radz like garbage in the media - Markov as well for that matter, and he swapped Sergachev for Drouin. That was the summer from hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad