Geoff Molson - When will he understand?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
People seem to think it would be a good thing for Molson to start making moves. Does anyone really think he will make long term, visionary moves? If he hires one good guy to be president or GM, and lets that guy plan for the future, including 3-4 years the team will be bad, fine.

I suspect that if anyone in the habs organization makes moves at this point they will be panicky short term moves. I'd expect them to try to compete now, not to build for the future. Firing Julien was that sort of move. I suppose it worked out, in that Ducharme has had terrible regular seasons but the team might not have been willing to come together as it did with a more established coach, so it probably helped the cup run.

The habs are fairly well set up for a few down years. Lots of tradable players, lots of picks in upcoming drafts. As habs development sucks it might make sense to try to get some prospects instead of picks. All this takes a plan, and the plan requires a planner. I don't see Bergevin or Molson doing that planning correctly. I'd be surprised if anyone they bring in quickly can do it, either. The longer they wait the better.

I get annoyed with the antichambre and TVA guys. I understand it's annoying for them having to discuss, or just cut away from discussion of, losses, but pushing for moves is not likely to make anything better. Neither is grilling and shaming players in interviews. I seriously doubt the players are lazily trying to lose games, bitching them out on TV is really not going to make them play any better.

Reactions: themilosh

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Forbes will come out with its annual Business of hockey story in December. Covid might have played a role of course. But still.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The problem is that Molson is caught in a conundrum of competing business imperatives: trying to field a competitive team without antagonizing his customer base that buys his beer products. His focus on the latter has hindered his options in finding a competent person who can accomplish the former. Until the former outbalances the latter, we will be mired in mediocrity.

I doubt he is willing to risk short term beer sales to build the foundation needed for long term team success and way better long term beer sales. I doubt anyone in the habs management team is aiming for long term winning, they are aiming for fighting for the playoffs most years.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
People seem to think it would be a good thing for Molson to start making moves. Does anyone really think he will make long term, visionary moves? If he hires one good guy to be president or GM, and lets that guy plan for the future, including 3-4 years the team will be bad, fine.

I suspect that if anyone in the habs organization makes moves at this point they will be panicky short term moves. I'd expect them to try to compete now, not to build for the future. Firing Julien was that sort of move. I suppose it worked out, in that Ducharme has had terrible regular seasons but the team might not have been willing to come together as it did with a more established coach, so it probably helped the cup run.

The habs are fairly well set up for a few down years. Lots of tradable players, lots of picks in upcoming drafts. As habs development sucks it might make sense to try to get some prospects instead of picks. All this takes a plan, and the plan requires a planner. I don't see Bergevin or Molson doing that planning correctly. I'd be surprised if anyone they bring in quickly can do it, either. The longer they wait the better.

I get annoyed with the antichambre and TVA guys. I understand it's annoying for them having to discuss, or just cut away from discussion of, losses, but pushing for moves is not likely to make anything better. Neither is grilling and shaming players in interviews. I seriously doubt the players are lazily trying to lose games, bitching them out on TV is really not going to make them play any better.
RDS and TVA know that a tank will mean a major drop in viewership amd in ad revenues. Plus they have hired ex-players amd coaches that have never believed in tanking. They talk about things like pride in the jersey, passion, etc. Things for which today’s players don’t give a f***.

Reactions: WhoAreYou99

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

He’s right. CHC IS the team. Club de hockey Canadiens Inc. The org chart has changed a lot over the last 30 years, but essentially, he’s Pierre Boivin (plus being the majority co-owner, NOT THE owner. He has a bro and some minority owners, some of which are much, much bigger than the bros). And Boivin DID talk to the media, even when Gainey was there.
And Molson LOVES the media. He ALWAYS talks before the start of the season. And for Xmas. And as President, he takes part in many local functions. Yet, not a word to media. This is just abnormal for him.
So I think (my opinion only) he is avoiding media because of the Bergevin situation, under Paul Wilson’s watchful eyes.

Last edited:

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Molson will have to speak when he fires the front office. That is why we want him to speak. Not because I need him to say anything at this point. A single statement on Twitter would suffice (as the former US president showed): "Marc, your team is terrible!! And so are your ratings!!! Sorry, but we have to move on now. Pick up your gym back at 5pm and jog on."

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He’s right. CHC IS the team. Club de hockey Canadiens Inc. The org chart has changed a lot over the last 30 years, but essentially, he’s Pierre Boivin (plus being the majority co-owner, NOT THE owner. He has a bro and some minority owners, some of which are much, much bigger than the bros). And Boivin DID talk to the media, even when Gainey was there.
And Molson LOVES the media. He ALWAYS talks before the start of the season. And for Xmas. And as President, he takes part in many local functions. Yet, not a word to media. This is just abnormal for him.
So I think (my opinion only) he is avoiding media because of the Bergevin situation, under Paul Wilson’s watchful eyes.
It Isn't Xmas yet

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I mean..

I think its pretty much unanimous around here, Geoff is not the right person to be handling the Canadiens President role.

now the question is..

how can we make an impact and make him realise the Canadiens need him to step down as President.

We need someone who knows hockey at all levels to know how our GM is actually running the hockey operations and is doing good job or not.

Methods? please let me know how your are handling this?

I have personally been active on social media by being a Habs detractor of Bergevin and Geoff Molson specificaly, have not been buying Habs merchandise either those are my main ways so far.

I gonna be honest I have that nasty feeling in my gut now, when I think about the Habs.. when they used to be my most cherish hobby for most of my life..

I dont want to eliminate such a glorious entity of my memory.. but they make me consider it so many times lately.. the lack of tranparency and the lack desire this organisation had for the last 5 years or so.. are really too much for me..
Montreal Canadiens Ownership don't care about the opinions of fans .

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I think it leans to 1.
I don’t believe 3. Minority partners could leave. That could happen. But the team is a money machine. Shows have started again. The brand is still strong.
ALTHOUGH…the nomination of a new president of Groupe CH (bright woman whose name I forgot) COULD BE because he has other fish to fry, namely looking for investors/owners. I like @salbutera idea of a huge sports conglomerate. That would be sexxxy! Groupe CH’s cash could do wonders for a fledging MLS franchise, and a future baseball stadium/team.
The board won’t kick out Geoff, that’s a stretch.
Besides, as president, what does he REALLY do if his VP is doing all of the hockey work?

Her name is France Margaret Bélanger.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Molson has listened to the real fans.

By hiring Gorton, it shows the team will purposely tank for a better future.

There isn’t a better time than now!!!!!

Reactions: dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Molson has listened to the real fans.

By hiring Gorton, it shows the team will purposely tank for a better future.

There isn’t a better time than now!!!!!

I hope Gorton is the right guy, and at least it's the only possible move that Molson could make that could help. Getting someone to oversee all levels, someone with the confidence to hire good people and not worry that they will upstage him or take his job, is the only way to get better.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad