Geoff Molson - When will he understand?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Fair. I have not lost hope of the soft skilled/skating Drouin yet. Age 25-30 years to come at the same time as when the centers are maturing? If Drouin can put it together with better talent to play with, it's on him.
Whats this "not lost hope"? He is what he is. It ain't gonna change. Inconsistent one dimensional top 6 winger.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Most teams are near the cap, there are only a few good teams that aren't pretty close. The habs are wasting a lot of their cap... Bergevin saved cap for years and was blasted for it, then he spent a bunch of it well, and was praised, now he's spent a bunch of it badly.

The big change needed is that the team needs someone with vision who can plan and build a team. Bergevin does not have those skills, but he might, with someone vetoing his dumber moves, be able to implement a plan for someone who does.

Molson obviously does not have those skills. He also lacks the desire and ability to find someone who does. We have to hope that he sort of randomly hires someone who turns out to be excellent.

The team has tried to avoid a rebuild for 25 years. They could easily have avoided it by not dumping good players for bad players with lower salaries, but that ship sailed in the '90s. They've bounced between the low end of mediocre and the high end of mediocre, but they have never been true contenders. The cup run was great, lots of fun, but it took a huge team effort, Weber's and Price's health, and a lot of luck to get there. Key injuries, a suspension, the national media calling out Chris Lee... It's not something that will happen every year if they "make the playoffs and see what happens."

The only way to make the team good is to get as many good picks as possible over consecutive years until the team is truly stocked. Once the team is good you can roll. If the team is good non-key players put up good stats and look good so you can trade them for younger guys. Try to avoid letting key guys go unless you get a key player back, ideally same age or younger. Don't sweat the secondary players. Instead of paying to retain 3rd liners pay key guys who will make worse secondary players perform better. The first step is a hard tank over multiple years, though, and without doing it like Buffalo or Edmonton, though Edmonton may have finally turned a corner. The key is to figure out who is driving a line, and Montreal is not good at it, even on their own team.

I'm just glad Molson hasn't made big changes yet. Let the team fail and aim for 2025 or 2026.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Molson needs to make a major change now. Obviously the entire plan now consists of getting a high draft pick. Trade assets, play youth, and shut down price for the year. Most anyone on this board knows how to tank this team. But without a long term vision, now, it’s hard to take any pleasure in the “process”.

Jul 6, 2016
If we don't hear from Geoff il is possibly because:

1-. He is shopping for a new GM and has a hard time finding the right one..

2- Board of directors is about to change Geoff at the presidency...

3-. Team is for sale.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

3-. Team is for sale.
All are viable possibilities.............I like all 3 options...as long as something is going on.

Reactions: puckeater

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It's pretty clear that the key to our future is hiring a competent president and letting the president decide on the GM. The weird relationship between Bergevin and Molson is concerning. I highly doubt Molson will fire Bergevin because he would have by now. So they will part ways at some point. I also think there is a chance he will be extended. Geoff Molson is clearly lacking a backbone.

Reactions: amethyst

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's pretty clear that the key to our future is hiring a competent president and letting the president decide on the GM. The weird relationship between Bergevin and Molson is concerning. I highly doubt Molson will fire Bergevin because he would have by now. So they will part ways at some point. I also think there is a chance he will be extended. Geoff Molson is clearly lacking a backbone.

There's indeed no point in firing him now if he intends on hiring a President, UNLESS that President would agree to act as a GM for this season (but that would involve him hiring his assistants, and one would think the GM, not the President, should be hiring Assistants).

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Through 11 home games Habs are still averaging the highest attendance in the league at just under 20,000/game

Molson is a businessman, until fans vote with their wallets and stop going there’s no incentive for him to do a GD thing

Reactions: Miller Time

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Through 11 home games Habs are still averaging the highest attendance in the league at just under 20,000/game

Molson is a businessman, until fans vote with their wallets and stop going there’s no incentive for him to do a GD thing

Doesn't seem that way but I imagine it was a season ticket thing

Reactions: dinodebino

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

3-. Team is for sale.
I think it leans to 1.
I don’t believe 3. Minority partners could leave. That could happen. But the team is a money machine. Shows have started again. The brand is still strong.
ALTHOUGH…the nomination of a new president of Groupe CH (bright woman whose name I forgot) COULD BE because he has other fish to fry, namely looking for investors/owners. I like @salbutera idea of a huge sports conglomerate. That would be sexxxy! Groupe CH’s cash could do wonders for a fledging MLS franchise, and a future baseball stadium/team.
The board won’t kick out Geoff, that’s a stretch.
Besides, as president, what does he REALLY do if his VP is doing all of the hockey work?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Fans need the take a stand
Until Geoff lets us know what the plan is.
I don't mind watching a team if they admit they're in rebuild but if they just keep doing what they're doing screw them
Stop going

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Judging by the article on Sportsnet’s (or the Score) site regarding drops in attendance in the NHL, Habs are still maintaining cap.
Just with local TV rights, Habs fetch $65M per season. Not counting national tv revenues from the Rogers contract, and now ESPN-TBS, plus ticks sold at the barn.
And don’t forget that Habs had budgeted attendance on an average of 7500 because of Covid restrictions. Having 20k per game? Pffff. Mega unexpected moullah!

So money is not a problem. You’re talking about the most profitable franchise pre Covid with an EBITDA close to 30%. Sacrament, business owners aside from the Big Five would drool with such a ROI.

Really, you would sell????pff, I’d keep this, go to Boca Raton meetings twice a year and live in Aruba the rest of the year. And just have money drop down on my desk and E.V.E.R.Y week. Like a drug lord!

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The economic impact will be larger than attendance if this continues. The Habs are hub for sponsors and media activities with financial implications (RDS, sports media) etc. As interest wanes, the Habs-Media Complex will be affected. We already saw with the Mailloux situation that Molson reacts when sponsors speak up. You think RDS is going to tolerate losses because Molson can't put on his big boy pants? What about when other sponsors start reducing contributions as this version of the Habs becomes increasingly radioactive and rudderless?

Of course, there's no way of knowing the overall impact, but I have to think it will be significant with time. Less people, less concessions, less TV ratings, etc, etc. I've watched nearly each game this year hoping to see signs of life. I'm not watching another game this year until something changes. Cutting my RDS subscription, etc.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The economic impact will be larger than attendance if this continues. The Habs are hub for sponsors and media activities with financial implications (RDS, sports media) etc. As interest wanes, the Habs-Media Complex will be affected. We already saw with the Mailloux situation that Molson reacts when sponsors speak up. You think RDS is going to tolerate losses because Molson can't put on his big boy pants? What about when other sponsors start reducing contributions as this version of the Habs becomes increasingly radioactive and rudderless?

Of course, there's no way of knowing the overall impact, but I have to think it will be significant with time. Less people, less concessions, less TV ratings, etc, etc. I've watched nearly each game this year hoping to see signs of life. I'm not watching another game this year until something changes. Cutting my RDS subscription, etc.
The problem is that Molson is caught in a conundrum of competing business imperatives: trying to field a competitive team without antagonizing his customer base that buys his beer products. His focus on the latter has hindered his options in finding a competent person who can accomplish the former. Until the former outbalances the latter, we will be mired in mediocrity.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I fully expect us to sign Roy. It's a window dressing move and allows Molson to show that he's doing something. Personally I think it will be disastrous but it's what he's going to do.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Sold tickets doesn't bring ads revenue and concessions revenue though. An empty bell center will have an impact on ads and concessions. Can't have thousands of sold tickets not actually going to the game for too long.
It’s gravy on the poutine, honestly. This team is a ca$h cow. You don’t get rid of a ca$h cow.

covid hurt this franchise. But it hurt all teams. Difference being this team, like the Rags, generates TV revenues that are pristine! By themselves, they account for almost ALL of the players’ expenses. It’s obcene for a hockey team. Not at other sports’ levels for sure, but I believe Mtl is 2nd in TV generated revenues, after the Rags.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It’s gravy on the poutine, honestly. This team is a ca$h cow. You don’t get rid of a ca$h cow.

.... Not sure your idiom is the right one though, a poutine without gravy being just a basic Frites Sauce.

EDIT : I know, I derped. Poutine without Gravy is Fries with Curds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad