Geoff Molson - Eh What's Up Doc Edition

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
You saved a life man, thumbs up.

But why can't you save also our CH from their shithole.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
On Bergevin (690);

"Our relationship has always been positive."

"Nobody's perfect."

"We've been through 2 tough periods together."

"I really believe he's a good general manager."

He's obviously here to stay. Le Groupe CH has invested heavily in other ventures to ensure stability regardless of how the Habs do. So the owner is here to stay as well.

For those who believe we can only win a Cup after Bergevin is fired, I'm afraid this is not good news. :laugh:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
This is the 'most positive' moment he recalls from his entire tenure so far. The roof blew off, he says. He says the team is headed in the right direction to get back to have moments similar to this one.

Also says the beginning of the season will "probably be without fans", which was to be expected I guess. "I think what we showed in the playoffs and in the offseason raised expectations. (...) Expectations I think are pretty high. I couldn't ask for anything better. (...) We've been waiting for this moment for a long time".

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Also says the beginning of the season will "probably be without fans", which was to be expected I guess. "I think what we showed in the playoffs and in the offseason raised expectations. (...) Expectations I think are pretty high. I couldn't ask for anything better. (...) We've been waiting for this moment for a long time".

Fans can pre-order and have their 12 dollar hot dogs delivered for a nominal fee of $17.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh Geoff ... Bergevin has a job for life, doesn’t he?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Canadiens' Molson: team has foundation 'that can be good for many years'

“Was it sold to me that it would take three years? No, never,” he said. “It was sold to me as we need to do these things (trade several players and collect an abundance of draft picks — the Canadiens have drafted the second-most prospects in the NHL and used several more picks in transactions over the last three years) and we need to do them now and start building a team that has the potential to be a championship team again.”

It’s clear Molson believes that’s what he now has on his hands. It’s a belief that’s only been bolstered by decisions Jeff Petry and Brendan Gallagher recently made to remain with the Canadiens long-term, but certainly also by Allen, Edmundson and Anderson choosing to skirt free agency and sign lengthy deals, and by Toffoli turning other teams down to move to Montreal for the next four years.

“Two years ago, any unrestricted free agent would’ve looked at our organization and said, ‘Do I want to be part of a youth movement where they’re sort of resetting?’ Two years forward to today, I think those unrestricted free agents are saying, ‘Oh, this looks pretty good. This looks like a team that’s going to be good for the next little while,” said Molson. “I think that’s the most important thing. When UFAs are attracted to Montreal, it’s when we’re at our best, and I think we’re heading in that direction.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NHL actual total salaries is tracking to be around $2.33B (+/-). Multiple that by 2 (50/50 revenue split) and project teams to have around 22/23 man rosters... NHL is on track to have around $4.66B of operating cost. That's about a $430M cushion compared to the $5.09B revenue the $81.5M salary cap is set to. I also suspect teams will run with 21 and 22 man rosters to try to keep the salary cap calculations down. All that adds up and will help the cap growth in a few years. This next season (whenever it starts) is unpredictable

Habs are in a good spot in terms of financial flexibility
* Even with all this spending we did this off season, we rank 22nd in the NHL in terms of actual salaries to be paid ($66.3M)
* We rank 10th (+/-) in singing bonus money already paid (17.3M).

Like it or not, I'm sure Molson is happy with the work Bergevin has done in terms of hockey operations, keeping costs down, and improving the roster.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
NHL actual total salaries is tracking to be around $2.33B (+/-). Multiple that by 2 (50/50 revenue split) and project teams to have around 22/23 man rosters... NHL is on track to have around $4.66B of operating cost. That's about a $430M cushion compared to the $5.09B revenue the $81.5M salary cap is set to. I also suspect teams will run with 21 and 22 man rosters to try to keep the salary cap calculations down. All that adds up and will help the cap growth in a few years. This next season (whenever it starts) is unpredictable

Habs are in a good spot in terms of financial flexibility
* Even with all this spending we did this off season, we rank 22nd in the NHL in terms of actual salaries to be paid ($66.3M)
* We rank 10th (+/-) in singing bonus money already paid (17.3M).

Like it or not, I'm sure Molson is happy with the work Bergevin has done in terms of hockey operations, keeping costs down, and improving the roster.

With a condensed schedule and a higher risk of injuries, it would be interesting to see if teams will carry 8 dmen and play 7 on most nights. It seemed to have worked for Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Will teams be allowed to carry extra players in the bubble in case of injuries?

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mol$on has been a real dud of an owner since buying the team from Gillette. Once again moving goalposts, and lowering expectations has been on him and MB.
Now..........going forward they feel they have done what is needed, no more hiding for either of these guys....put up or shut up time folks.....

Reactions: the and Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With a condensed schedule and a higher risk of injuries, it would be interesting to see if teams will carry 8 dmen and play 7 on most nights. It seemed to have worked for Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Will teams be allowed to carry extra players in the bubble in case of injuries?

If the Habs make no changes, we have to run with 21 or 22 man roster. Right now, I see them having one extra D and one extra forward. But who knows if we make any more moves

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
image.png

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How the financials affect Molson...

1) I have each team having to come up with about $28M each (on average) for the overpayment on the players. Owners are due double that over the next 2-4 years but money out of pocket in the short span is only the overpayment to the players. The shortage on the owners share is not out of pocket. That $28M is an average amount but each team is affected differently...

2) I have the Habs ranked 22nd in actual salaries at around $66M. Leafs are 1st at $92M. Kings are last with $47M. I did this on Nov 2nd so there will be some movement there but not much.

3) I have the Habs ranked 10th in signing bonus money already paid. Habs are at $17.3M. Leafs are 1st at $59M and Jets are last at $0M

4) I would assume the Habs have a fair amount of TV revenue coming for regional deals.

5) For a big market team, the Habs had $25M (+/-) of unused cap space over the last 3 seasons.

6) Not sure where Bergevin, Julien, and other management ranks in terms of salaries. I would assume the Habs have one of the highest AHL salaries? Not sure. I recall hearing that the Leafs are by far the highest with a $10M AHL budget.

7) Seattle about to pay $700M in expansion fee. That's about $20M+ for each owner.

When you combine all this up... The Montreal Canadians are in a good spot compared to most other teams.
* 22nd in actual salaries
* Higher than average amount of regional TV revenue
* Savings in the 3 previous salary cap seasons

Like it or not, if the Habs have a good season and a strong playoffs with our new roster, Bergevin will be extended (he has 2 years left). Molson would be happy with both the financials and team on the ice. If you were in his shoes, it would be an easy decision to make. Does he extend him before the 21/22 season? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Geoff, what the hell were you thinking when you and your staff allowed this atrocity of a clip to be disseminated?

Un Noël bleu-blanc-rouge · A Canadiens Christmas

Geoff you ought to resign from whatever your responsibilities were in this. This is pathetically embarrassing and the whole lot of your staff should be fired on the spot. It's so cheesy and lame. Have you no shame.

Reactions: angusyoung

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Good for many years? With their three best defenders closing on their twilight? I beg to differ.

3 seasons top and that's IF things gel, IF Weber remains efficient, IF the youngsters take another step.

A lot of IFs and a lot of things coukd go wrong.

I see a full rebuild coming in no less than 4 years.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Marc 4 Lyfe baby...

Hes going NO WHERES.

May Molson and Big Mac Marc Reign never end! The amount of memes from these two is endless!

amazonheader.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad