Generic, All Encompassing, General Purpose, 2022 SC Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah, hate the Avs, but gotta admit they were OP this year. Clearly the best team in every series. Just dominant. Skated miles around the opposition. Makar was insane. Another level. It was like he was never off the ice. I mean, bleh. Because it's the Avs. But that playoffs was massively impressive. That's going to be a very, very good team for a long time. Easily dynasty contenders if they can keep everyone together and happy.

f***.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Well, colour me surprised. Good thing I had no money on this series.
It sure was entertaining hockey and both teams really showed us how far the Canucks have to go before they can compete at that level.
Sakic helmed an impressive rebuild, which makes me shake my head even more at Bennings wasted decade.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Who has said we should trade our 1st..?

33BF96D9-1D19-437F-B320-0BECA57B36D7.jpeg

Plenty other examples if you care to pay attention but of course you choose not to since you probably agreed that pissing away a 1st for oel or garland was a great move. Lol

Reactions: geebaan and M2Beezy

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Landeskog took 7 million to stay with the avs when he was worth about 8.25 or more. Nuge is dirt cheap at 5.125. So how much of a discount would Horvat have to give to make him worth keeping? I say 6 but I am hoping nuge level discount. Anything more than 6 I say trade him.

Grubauer wouldn’t take one and they let him walk. We need to make hard decisions like trading Duchene.

We let Marky walk like they let grubauer but it’s a totally different. Lol

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Kadri…I mean I understand the comment but in the past he WAS a playoff liability. Regardless of one perceived reasons why Kadri did things he did he went over the line and got himself suspended. Finally getting his head together doesn’t change that.

Anyways…this year more than any other year it was amazingly clear how much better the bulk of the playoff teams, if not all the playoffs teams, were compared to Vancouver. This management team has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Kadri…I mean I understand the comment but in the past he WAS a playoff liability. Regardless of one received reasons why Kadri did things he did he went over the line and hit himself suspended, Finally getting his head together doesn’t change that.

Anyways…this year more than any other year it was amazingly clear how much better the bulk of the playoff teams, if not all the playoffs teams, were compared to Vancouver. This management team has a lot of work to do.
Its a weird quote. Like thanks for letting us know you werent important to the teams you were on when you got suspended I guess?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Its a weird quote. Like thanks for letting us know you werent important to the teams you were on when you got suspended I guess?

I mean I understand it in the heat of the moment type of thing. On the other hand it makes me wonder why that is one of the foremost thoughts in his head at the moment. He had a great year, a great playoff and he's going to get paid.

Likely paid far too much and for far too long as well.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I mean I understand it in the heat of the moment type of thing. On the other hand it makes me wonder why that is one of the foremost thoughts in his head at the moment. He had a great year, a great playoff and he's going to get paid.

Likely paid far too much and for far too long as well.

Personally, it’s just nice to see personality in the game rather than a recycled quote.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

To be fair, the guy was singled out for the Leafs failures after being labeled a "heart and soul" guy after 2013. Leafs fans were calling him a liability after the Capitals series. Then yeah, 2 consecutive years of getting suspended but both series were colossal meltdowns where every top guy on that team vanished including Marner and Matthews. He was seen as such garbage that many Leafs fans were saying "addition by subtraction" when he was traded for Barrie.

The hits on Wingles and Debrusk were hilariously stupid but yeah, I could see pent up frustration from his point of view.

Reactions: AppleHoneySauce

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, colour me surprised. Good thing I had no money on this series.
It sure was entertaining hockey and both teams really showed us how far the Canucks have to go before they can compete at that level.
Sakic helmed an impressive rebuild, which makes me shake my head even more at Bennings wasted decade.
Keep in mind the Avs GM from 2009 to 2014 were Sherman who was doing the rebuild. Duchene at 3 OA in 2009, Landy at 2 OA in 2011, won lottery in 2013 to get 1OA.
Sakic takes over in 2014 and makes the ROR deal and leads them to a dismal 2017 but they get Makar and MacKinnon finally lives up to his hype the following season.

They finished bottom 3 in the nhl 4 times in 8 seasons. Swapping out a GM.

So a GM can’t continue to ice a bad team for that long. Not going to survive it to reap the rewards of all that losing.

Sakic had lots of goodwill in Colorado so he could still guide the club after that disaster of a 2017 season. If that was someone else like a Hextall, Fitzgerald, Guerin, Adams, etc similar aged former player GMs around age 50 now would they have survived the 3 seasons Sakic had? Probably would have changed GMs after that year.

Canucks should have moved off JB earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
A wasted decade under Jim Benning, the self proclaimed old boys club member was ass water from jump. Learning in the fly, did it help him and made bad decisions after bad decision.

Jim and Alvin have tons of work to do, as for Benning himself…f*** that fat ********

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
All in all, I thought the whole post season was really good..The Leafs lost in the first round (that seems like an eternity ago), Flames in the second,Oilers in the third..The two best teams in each conference (undisputedly) played each other for the SC ..as it should be.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
A wasted decade under Jim Benning, the self proclaimed old boys club member was ass water from jump. Learning in the fly, did it help him and made bad decisions after bad decision.

Jim and Alvin have tons of work to do, as for Benning himself…f*** that fat ********

Fool me one season, shame on you.

Fool me 7 more seasons, f*** you Aquilini.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Avs were so good, I get that Tampa was banged up and played alot of hockey the last couple seasons, but I felt that the Avs dominated the majority of the series and could've won it in 5. Congrats to them. And my goodness, how good is Byram!? Since Girard went down, he took his game to a whole new level!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Also consider that the Avs prior to 2017 finished bottom 3 in 2009, 2011, 2013. So their rebuild was sooner. As the Canucks in those years were a contending team.

Avs from 2009-2017 vs the Canucks 2014-2022 probably the better comp.

It’s what Van does from here onwards that matters if they wish to emulate the Avs. Duchene and ROR are long gone. So if that means Bo and Miller need to be moved Allvin should move them.

Reboot it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Also consider that the Avs prior to 2017 finished bottom 3 in 2009, 2011, 2013. So their rebuild was sooner. As the Canucks in those years were a contending team.

Avs from 2009-2017 vs the Canucks 2014-2022 probably the better comp.

It’s what Van does from here onwards that matters if they wish to emulate the Avs. Duchene and ROR are long gone. So if that means Bo and Miller need to be moved Allvin should move them.

Reboot it.

I generally agree with the end of your post.

I do think that you should generally look at when a GM started as an era. What happened before is meaningless to the direction of the team. The 2013 Canuck team that Benning took over from had an absolute ton of players that could have been traded for high end parts, and that is where the failure starts.

We are no in a new era and hopefully this one can match what other teams have been able to do.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I generally agree with the end of your post.

I do think that you should generally look at when a GM started as an era. What happened before is meaningless to the direction of the team. The 2013 Canuck team that Benning took over from had an absolute ton of players that could have been traded for high end parts, and that is where the failure starts.

We are no in a new era and hopefully this one can match what other teams have been able to do.
Fair. But cant just look at the Avs only from 2017. Sherman the GM from 2009-2014 was fired because they failed to make the expected progress. If it was not Sakic but someone else who produced the same results as he did over that same time between Sherman to that dreadful 2017 season would that gm have been fired vs the goodwill that Sakic had? Probably quicker with the trigger if that’s a Tom Fitzgerald, Bill Geurin, Kevyn Adams, Hextall.

Avs made mistakes along the way. 2022 is 13 years removed from 2009.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Fair. But cant just look at the Avs only from 2017. Sherman the GM from 2009-2014 was fired because they failed to make the expected progress. If it was not Sakic but someone else who produced the same results as he did over that same time between Sherman to that dreadful 2017 season would that gm have been fired vs the goodwill that Sakic had? Probably quicker with the trigger if that’s a Tom Fitzgerald, Bill Geurin, Kevyn Adams, Hextall.

Avs made mistakes along the way. 2022 is 13 years removed from 2009.

I mean how long did we have the failings of Benning? We just don't know when a GM will seem to get goodwill. Would you have expected Linden to go before Benning? I sure as hell didn't.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean how long did we have the failings of Benning? We just don't know when a GM will seem to get goodwill. Would you have expected Linden to go before Benning? I sure as hell didn't.
If you don’t get to call your shots, Linden did what was best and walked away. If I was in his position I would have done the same thing if the owner and I didn’t see eye to eye. Having made millions playing in the nhl plus his fitness clubs and other endeavours. Don’t need the stain of a poorly run nhl club on my resume if it’s not being run the way I want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad