Generic, All Encompassing, General Purpose, 2022 SC Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Fair. But cant just look at the Avs only from 2017. Sherman the GM from 2009-2014 was fired because they failed to make the expected progress. If it was not Sakic but someone else who produced the same results as he did over that same time between Sherman to that dreadful 2017 season would that gm have been fired vs the goodwill that Sakic had? Probably quicker with the trigger if that’s a Tom Fitzgerald, Bill Geurin, Kevyn Adams, Hextall.

Avs made mistakes along the way. 2022 is 13 years removed from 2009.

Yeah, Sakic was alternate governor/executive advisor since 2010-11 season. He was reported as "de facto GM" since 2013. He got a very long rope due to his legendary status. His GM also didn't stab him in the back which probably helps.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If you don’t get to call your shots, Linden did what was best and walked away. If I was in his position I would have done the same thing if the owner and I didn’t see eye to eye. Having made millions playing in the nhl plus his fitness clubs and other endeavours. Don’t need the stain of a poorly run nhl club on my resume if it’s not being run the way I want it to.

I totally agree, I am just saying the length of someone's Tenure as GM or President isn't always that easy to know.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Is there any team in the West who can present a challenge to Colorado over the next 2 years? I don't think so. Their core is young and will stay hungry and get better. And if they get an "A" goalie .........yikes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is there any team in the West who can present a challenge to Colorado over the next 2 years? I don't think so. Their core is young and will stay hungry and get better. And if they get an "A" goalie .........yikes.

3 of their top 6 forwards from last year are UFA so it will be interesting to see how they work through that. Their scoring depth is likely to take a hit.

Reactions: geebaan

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
3 of their top 6 forwards from last year are UFA so it will be interesting to see how they work through that. Their scoring depth is likely to take a hit.
Yup, those players will have their agents coaxing them to strike while the iron's hot, and Avs management playing on their heartstrings.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Per cap friendly they have around $26 mill in cap room but only 14 players signed. Would guess that 5/6 of those 9 guys are under $1 mill. So they can spend like $20 mill on 3/4 guys since they need 2nd liners. D is pretty much filled with Makar, EJ, Girard, Toews, Byram.

Term will be the big issue to spend that cap room with Mack and Byram due up next season.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Vegas will still absolutely be neck and neck with Colorado.
If they can work the cap i agree. Despite what people seem to say Jeichel is an elite superstar and was pretty good last year even after missing so much time. With veterans like stone and pie around he wont have to provide leadership and instead be able to focus on tearing it up.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

If someone in the west flukes our bedard or mitchkov. Depending on if they are generational or not they might be able to challenge them. Like says St. Louis with bedard.

They have to tank though.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
People always seem to have this idea that young cores are gonna steamroll their way into multiple championships, but in the cap era, it's extremely hard to continuously win. In football everyone thought the Seahawks/Chiefs would win a shit ton of titles and that hasn't happened.

Colorado is definitely well-equipped but so are a lot of teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People always seem to have this idea that young cores are gonna steamroll their way into multiple championships, but in the cap era, it's extremely hard to continuously win. In football everyone thought the Seahawks/Chiefs would win a shit ton of titles and that hasn't happened.

If they had a demko, Shesh, in goal their chances would be higher. Not having that solid rock back there it can be up and down.

Reactions: Bubbles

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Funny thing is, even though they got swept, the Oilers actually scared the champs more than St. Louis and Tampa imo.

Or did they scare me because I really didn’t want the Oilers to make the finals? 🤔😂

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Every well built teams like that have about a 4-5 year window, then that core gets old quickly and it's time for a rebuild. You can say that about Chicago/LA/Pittsburgh.

Obviously, Tampa are right in their window now.

Seahawks window was 2012-2016. They should have started rebuilding in 2017. I'm one of the few that are happy that they traded Wilson (he has slowed down in the last few years)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Every well built teams like that have about a 4-5 year window, then that core gets old quickly and it's time for a rebuild. You can say that about Chicago/LA/Pittsburgh.

Obviously, Tampa are right in their window now.

Seahawks window was 2012-2016. They should have started rebuilding in 2017. I'm one of the few that are happy that they traded Wilson (he has slowed down in the last few years)
If you are pushing your chips in at the tdl you will have fewer picks and the probability of hitting on the ones you have decreases especially if they are later round picks.

As for football, outs injuries plus the ability of your team to draft well to constantly have an influx of cheaper talent to offset the big contracts. Seattle’s draft starting going downhill once the college guys were too young to have been recruited by carroll at usc. Didn’t hit on the quantity of picks like Sherm, Kam, KJ, etc. Over the past few years.

Reactions: Bubbles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad