OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Pretty excited for that one as well, but not nearly as much as LAD

I just couldn't get into the Yakuza games in the past. I don't like the GTA games either.

I've been playing the One Piece game I found on clearance a little bit. I'm not too into it, but the turn based combat is a nice change from the other games I've been playing.

I'm keeping an eye on the price of RDR1 PS4 upscale/remake, when it drops to $25 I'll probably buy it. I'd really like to see a Dynasty Warriors game built for the PS5 gen of consoles.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Not sure if it would change your mind at all, but the Like a Dragon game was a turn based RPG instead of the beat em up button mashing type of fighting all the other games had in the past. I played a lot of the Yakuza games mainly for the story and the weirdness of them and just kind of dealt with the fighting...never loved that part.

I liked the turn based way more. Plus it still had the good story with seriousness mixed with complete silliness. Definitely looking forward to it.

So much still to play, finally getting to Spider Man 2 and enjoying it as well. I wanted to play the Star Ocean 2 remake and the Super Mario RPG remake still.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Not sure if it would change your mind at all, but the Like a Dragon game was a turn based RPG instead of the beat em up button mashing type of fighting all the other games had in the past. I played a lot of the Yakuza games mainly for the story and the weirdness of them and just kind of dealt with the fighting...never loved that part.

I liked the turn based way more. Plus it still had the good story with seriousness mixed with complete silliness. Definitely looking forward to it.

So much still to play, finally getting to Spider Man 2 and enjoying it as well. I wanted to play the Star Ocean 2 remake and the Super Mario RPG remake still.
100% regarding the past Yakuza games. I played them, and will continue to play them as they come out, but the fighting is super tedious at best. It's like a chore you have to get through just to keep the story moving. The turn based combat is so much better.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I picked up Elden Ring from the library this morning. I think I'm returning it back tomorrow. Just not a game for me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Big mistake.

/shrug I enjoyed shoveling the driveway more than playing the game. It's just not the type of game I enjoy playing.

I got it for free, tried it, and couldn't get into it. So I'll return it and some someone else on the wait list can enjoy it. I'm fine with that.

• Haha
Reactions: Wild11MN

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
/shrug I enjoyed shoveling the driveway more than playing the game. It's just not the type of game I enjoy playing.

I got it for free, tried it, and couldn't get into it. So I'll return it and some someone else on the wait list can enjoy it. I'm fine with that.
How far did you get? What didn't you like it about it? Do you like other souls like games?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I was thinking of buying the Red Dead Redemption PS5 version for after the game tonight, need something to eat time until Like a Dragon. Havent played since the original release and remember it being pretty good (and RDR2 is one of my all time favorites). Still 50 bucks. Rockstar continue to be out of their minds charging nearly full new game price for what is basically a port of a 10+ year old game with more FPS. What a shame.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
How far did you get? What didn't you like it about it? Do you like other souls like games?

I couldn't find a controller setup that worked for me. The storyline didn't hook me and there weren't the side quests to keep me entertained.

I'm meh on souls like games. I've played and beaten a few, but a lot of the time it's been more of a well "I've come this far and spent this much time on the game; that I might as well finish it." I get to the end and I'm just happy that they are over and I don't have to play anymore. Rather than a "Wow that was a fun game, what else can I do in it."

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I was thinking of buying the Red Dead Redemption PS5 version for after the game tonight, need something to eat time until Like a Dragon. Havent played since the original release and remember it being pretty good (and RDR2 is one of my all time favorites). Still 50 bucks. Rockstar continue to be out of their minds charging nearly full new game price for what is basically a port of a 10+ year old game with more FPS. What a shame.

I want to play it also. It was down to $35 (ps4) at Walmart when i looked a couple of days ago. If it gets down to $20-$25 I'll buy it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Any of you all into randomizer mods for old games? Lately I can’t stop watching races of Super Metroid Randomizer and I’ve even played a bunch myself.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Any of you all into randomizer mods for old games? Lately I can’t stop watching races of Super Metroid Randomizer and I’ve even played a bunch myself.
I've seen people do it for the old Pokemon games. It seems pretty interesting and can certainly add some replayability to older games. Just never done it myself.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
another randomizer I really like is A Link to the Past. Randomizer mods really add replayability to these old games. Force you to learn tactics you never learn otherwise.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Say what now?
It’s called a typo. I use voice typing as a convenience when typing on my iPhone, because iPhone keyboards just f***ing suck, compared to the android ones. That should read 'mods'. And I am going to edit the original post to read as such.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It’s called a typo. I use voice typing as a convenience when typing on my iPhone, because iPhone keyboards just f***ing suck, compared to the android ones. That should read 'mods'. And I am going to edit the original post to read as such.
I'm aware. I'm bringing light to a funny typo.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I've seen the new Prince of Persia game is getting some really good reviews. Looks like it's more of a metroidvania type of game. Definitely going to try it out.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Started a 2nd play through of Elden Ring today in NG+. I wanna 100% it so thats my goal. I only need like 8 more achievements not including the ending ones in order to get it so i said eff it and am giving if a whirl. I also only need 1 or 2 each of the Ahses, Armaments, spells and Incants and i think 3 more bosses.

Using the Dark Moon Greatsword in this playthough. Did a speed run to Rennala today before the game in order to respec so i can use it. Havent decided if i wanna use spells or not during this run or save them for the 3rd playthrough or do a pure Strength build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad