OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
What do they play?
They mostly do a new game every day. They like to play Indie games. Retro and Wander will do a series of a game they like - Retro did like 300 some odd videos of Brotato.

I like to watch them as I have recently fallen out of love with AAA titles and some of these Indie games are very fun to play and have interesting concepts

Reactions: Sad People

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Got the Frenzied Flame ending today. Now i just need the elden lord achievement then ive officially 100% Elden Ring. Not too sure what im going to play after.

God of War 2018 was mid af.

Who do you watch if you dont mind me asking? understand if you dont wanna share that info.
i think elden ring is the only game i've ever bothered to 100%/platinum lol

Reactions: Sad People

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
After having an absolute blast with Lies of P and midway through a NG+ on it, I suppose I should probably try out dark souls and elden ring. Any recommended start point? Thinking elden ring first then maybe go in dark souls order?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
After having an absolute blast with Lies of P and midway through a NG+ on it, I suppose I should probably try out dark souls and elden ring. Any recommended start point? Thinking elden ring first then maybe go in dark souls order?
Depends. Do you want a huge open world or a tighter more linear game?

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I like some exploration but the big open world of Elden Ring does have me a bit leery, I do like having a clear goal or direction to head towards.
Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of demons soul, Dark Souls, bloodborne, Sekiro, or Elden Ring. All are great in their own right (and leaps and bounds better than Lies of P, which I also enjoyed). Probably want to stay away from Dark souls 2 though to begin with. It's a very divisive game.

You don't need to play any of then in any order. There are continuing themes, especially in Dark Souls, but really no particular story continuity unless you want to dig super deep into YouTube theories.

I would personally start with Dark Souls 3. Elden Rings world is massive. Not a bad thing, it's one of its strengths, but it's a lot lol. The rest of the games have exploration and branching paths to a certain extent, but they are still fairly linear. DS3 is the most refined of the Dark Souls 3, DLC is very good too.

Edit. Also, I don't know the current state of Multi-player on Elden Ring. But if you were to wait until the DLC drops (sometime) there will be a ton of people playing again to help, invade, duel, etc. Something to consider.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of demons soul, Dark Souls, bloodborne, Sekiro, or Elden Ring. All are great in their own right (and leaps and bounds better than Lies of P, which I also enjoyed). Probably want to stay away from Dark souls 2 though to begin with. It's a very divisive game.

You don't need to play any of then in any order. There are continuing themes, especially in Dark Souls, but really no particular story continuity unless you want to dig super deep into YouTube theories.

I would personally start with Dark Souls 3. Elden Rings world is massive. Not a bad thing, it's one of its strengths, but it's a lot lol. The rest of the games have exploration and branching paths to a certain extent, but they are still fairly linear. DS3 is the most refined of the Dark Souls 3, DLC is very good too.

Edit. Also, I don't know the current state of Multi-player on Elden Ring. But if you were to wait until the DLC drops (sometime) there will be a ton of people playing again to help, invade, duel, etc. Something to consider.
id recommend just playing the souls series in order, maybe save demons souls remake on ps5 for later cuz its obv better than ds1/2/3. BB is a gem, my fav by far before Elden Ring

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
id recommend just playing the souls series in order, maybe save demons souls remake on ps5 for later cuz its obv better than ds1/2/3. BB is a gem, my fav by far before Elden Ring
Whoah, you really like DeS more than all of the DS games? Interesting. It's a great game, remake makes it even better... but I have have that just above DS2 (and I loved both)

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Whoah, you really like DeS more than all of the DS games? Interesting. It's a great game, remake makes it even better... but I have have that just above DS2 (and I loved both)
yeah i kinda played them out of order + stubbornness to game design. The top 3 of the series that really got me super into the formula were BB, DS Remake, and Elden Ring

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
yeah i kinda played them out of order + stubbornness to game design. The top 3 of the series that really got me super into the formula were BB, DS Remake, and Elden Ring
Interesting. There really isn't a best way to play, that's for sure. BB could have been my favorite, but I prefer blocking over dodging. I think it's definitely the best plot/story of the bunch though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I finished Citizen Sleeper last night, bless it's 10-15 hour run time. Not sure if anyone else here has played that, but if you want to play a game with some characters that might make you feel some things and don't have a lot of time, it's a good game.

Without spoiling anything I'll say that, as a dad of a 3 and a half year old daughter, the Lem and Mina storyline just about ate me alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I finished Citizen Sleeper last night, bless it's 10-15 hour run time. Not sure if anyone else here has played that, but if you want to play a game with some characters that might make you feel some things and don't have a lot of time, it's a good game.

Without spoiling anything I'll say that, as a dad of a 3 and a half year old daughter, the Lem and Mina storyline just about ate me alive.
Wish you would have recommended it a couple days ago! Might have been a good game to play while waiting for Like a Dragon. But, in 5 minutes I'm going to be occupied for quite some time.

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead

physicaIgraffiti

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Decided to buy final fantasy 7 (the original) this week. Got in on PS5. Had always heard amazing things obviously and never played it before (although I did play FF7 remake a few years ago). I'm about 8 hours in and the game is awesome, having a great time with it. But even more than the game itself is that it's scratching the itch of turn based RPGs that I used to absolutely love back in the day like the Fire Emblem games on gameboy SP. It's really making me want to jump back into that genre because I haven't played any in a long time. They released that FF pixel remaster set sometime last year I think which has FF 1-6 so maybe after I play 7 I'll start from the top and play them all in order

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Decided to buy final fantasy 7 (the original) this week. Got in on PS5. Had always heard amazing things obviously and never played it before (although I did play FF7 remake a few years ago). I'm about 8 hours in and the game is awesome, having a great time with it. But even more than the game itself is that it's scratching the itch of turn based RPGs that I used to absolutely love back in the day like the Fire Emblem games on gameboy SP. It's really making me want to jump back into that genre because I haven't played any in a long time. They released that FF pixel remaster set sometime last year I think which has FF 1-6 so maybe after I play 7 I'll start from the top and play them all in order
Do you know much about its story yet? I really hope not, but I expect that you do. I'd love to hear/see someone experience it for the first time.

It's still a top 5 game of all-time for me, 25 years later.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
The little quality of life updates on the new ports are great...auto battle and you can avoid encounters in FF7 I think if you just want to get somewhere quickly.

The pixel remasters are amazing. 4&6 are by far my two favorites.

physicaIgraffiti

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Do you know much about its story yet? I really hope not, but I expect that you do. I'd love to hear/see someone experience it for the first time.

It's still a top 5 game of all-time for me, 25 years later.

Not really. I do know one major spoiler but idk anything else other than what happened in remake, and I’m already past all those sections now anyway. Just finished the Junon section with all the random mini games like cpr and marching and salutes

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not really. I do know one major spoiler but idk anything else other than what happened in remake, and I’m already past all those sections now anyway. Just finished the Junon section with all the random mini games like cpr and marching and salutes
Ah haha. How did you enjoy Junon? Is the song stuck in your head yet?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just finished Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos. It's a turn based, RPG, tactics, D&D type of game.

Steam store description:
Step into the wacky heroic fantasy universe of the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk. Lead a team of unlikely and clumsy heroes in an epic and challenging tactical RPG. Live an adventure filled with humor, surprises and silly encounters.

I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of teenage boy humor.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
The new Like a Dragon is phenomenal. Outside of wishing it was current gen only so they could sharpen up the graphics without worrying about ps4 and Xbox one (I think that's the last gen, right?) People. Ps5 and series X have been around long enough that new games ought to start focusing on them

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The new Like a Dragon is phenomenal. Outside of wishing it was current gen only so they could sharpen up the graphics without worrying about ps4 and Xbox one (I think that's the last gen, right?) People. Ps5 and series X have been around long enough that new games ought to start focusing on them
The only game in that series I've played is Yakuza 0, but I got about 4 hours in and just never picked it up again. I found the gameplay sort of boring, repetitive. Would I have the same issue with Like a Dragon, do you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad