OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Jeeeeeeeeez. Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader is released now. I have so many games to play and not nearly enough time.

Not a bad thing at all, it's good to wait for a few months before tackling a CRPG like that. Most of them aren't going to be as polished as BG3 was at launch.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm excited too. Love Warhammer and Owlcat did really well with their Pathfinder games.
Agreed. I got super into the Dawn of War games, and now I'm hooked on the 40k setting. I'd love to get into the books, but can never actually find the "best" ones anywhere. Best according to a Google search, that is. There's a ton of them, and I'm really not sure where to even start.

Owlcat rocked it with the last Pathfinder game. I love that one so much.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Agreed. I got super into the Dawn of War games, and now I'm hooked on the 40k setting. I'd love to get into the books, but can never actually find the "best" ones anywhere. Best according to a Google search, that is. There's a ton of them, and I'm really not sure where to even start.

Owlcat rocked it with the last Pathfinder game. I love that one so much.
AND you might just run into Henry Cavill. He's a huge Warhammer nerd.

Reactions: BagHead

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
(@Sad People close your eyes, you've got a bunch of actual souls games to catch up on) Lies of P is a very strong souls like. Probably the best one, or at least up there with Fallen Order. I was pretty skeptical a Pinocchio adaptation would work... it does.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
(@Sad People close your eyes, you've got a bunch of actual souls games to catch up on) Lies of P is a very strong souls like. Probably the best one, or at least up there with Fallen Order. I was pretty skeptical a Pinocchio adaptation would work... it does.
Yeah ive heard really good things about it. May have to check it out.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I have been highly considering getting lies of P but have never played a souls game before. Think it’s reasonable to start off with it?

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I have been highly considering getting lies of P but have never played a souls game before. Think it’s reasonable to start off with it?
It's a good game in its own right, if the story/theme has you interested I'd say go for it. It's really fun so far and I'm digging the story. If you're more interested in just getting into a souls type game I'd start with Dark Souls 3 or Elden Ring.

Full disclosure, I'm finding it a tad more difficult than some of the souls game. It's very dependent on parrying attacks where I generally like to play these type of games with a shield and block a lot.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
There have been so many good games released in the last year that I find myself bouncing back and forth between multiple different games (and not completing any). The most recent game I've jumped back in to is Remnant 2. This game is an absolute banger. Hard, but fun. As I said in a previous post.... dark souls meets a shooter. I stress though, HARD. It actually has difficulty level selections and even on the easiest, I'm struggling.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Is The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt really that good?
Yes.

Combat is janky (it is DEFINITELY not Elden Ring so dont expect that) but it's a great game. Play until you get thru the bloody baron at least. Maybe one of my favorite questlines of all time and its super early. If you don't like the game thru that then you can quit without sinking too much time in it

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yes.

Combat is janky (it is DEFINITELY not Elden Ring so dont expect that) but it's a great game. Play until you get thru the bloody baron at least. Maybe one of my favorite questlines of all time and its super early. If you don't like the game thru that then you can quit without sinking too much time in it
Ive watched someone play it and while it seemed pretty good it seemed like another mid level RPG like Horizon Zero Down. Maybe its more of a game you gotta play yourself to really enjoy. Same thing with BG3 because i watched someone else play it when it first came out and it didnt seem as amazing as people were touting it to be but once i started playing it i knew it was GOTY and as good as advertised. People have said The Witcher 3 was a genre defining or changing RPG and i just dont see it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ive watched someone play it and while it seemed pretty good it seemed like another mid level RPG like Horizon Zero Down. Maybe its more of a game you gotta play yourself to really enjoy. Same thing with BG3 because i watched someone else play it when it first came out and it didnt seem as amazing as people were touting it to be but once i started playing it i knew it was GOTY and as good as advertised. People have said The Witcher 3 was a genre defining or changing RPG and i just dont see it.
I've played both games (Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn), and both the storytelling and character development is far better in Witcher 3. I don't even think the games are comparable except for the "RPG" label. I second Soldier13Fox, get through the Bloody Baron questline, and if you don't find yourself liking it, put it away for good. That quest is the sort that makes that game a classic, so if it doesn't do it for you, none of the other quests probably will either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Picked up a good amount of games during this Steam winter sale.

Detroit Become Human (looking forward to this one)
Divinity Original Sin 2
God of War (really interested in seeing if this game earned GOTY over Hellblade because right now I’m skeptical)
Hell Let Loose
King Arthur Knights Tale
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

Still on the fence on getting Foxhole, at its core it seems like a super dope game, MMO, sandbox, war simulation game on a massive scale with 2 different sides with thousands of players combined to try and well win a war. The learning curve seems pretty big which i dont have a problem with but it seems to me that if you wanna get the most out of this game you really gotta commit to it and have it be your main game and i dunno if i can or wanna do that right now.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Went full anime and started playing 13 Sentinels without knowing anything about it except that it was pretty well regarded. I'm about ~5 hours in or so and I'm enjoying it...looking forward to see where it goes.

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Won a Series X through work, so I started playing Starfield again. This console runs the game SO much better than my old Series S.

I’ve stumbled on a couple of interesting side quests (Nishina research station) but I’ve mostly been exploring and scanning systems I’ve never visited.

I wish the Outpost system wasn’t so confusing, I could totally see myself sinking hours & hour into building a mining empire.

Reactions: Sad People

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Won a Series X through work, so I started playing Starfield again. This console runs the game SO much better than my old Series S.

I’ve stumbled on a couple of interesting side quests (Nishina research station) but I’ve mostly been exploring and scanning systems I’ve never visited.

I wish the Outpost system wasn’t so confusing, I could totally see myself sinking hours & hour into building a mining empire.
Wow, congrats on the win! That's a pretty sweet prize.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There is a decent humblebundle out. It's though GOG not Steam though I have both, but haven't used the GOG account in years, so no clue how it is now.

I really liked the story in Greedfall (played it on the PS+), can't remember a thing about the combat.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There is a decent humblebundle out. It's though GOG not Steam though I have both, but haven't used the GOG account in years, so no clue how it is now.

I really liked the story in Greedfall (played it on the PS+), can't remember a thing about the combat.
I actually prefer my GOG account to my Steam account these days. DRM free makes life easy. Pathetic rhymes aside, I like knowing that I own the game outright, not a license to run it, as is the case through Steam.

I've also found that GOG Galaxy is both comparable and better than Steam, since it allows me to sync up all my game clients and just run all the games I own and "own" through GOG Galaxy, regardless of where I bought them.

I sound like a shill, but I promise CD Projekt does not pay me.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
20231229190120_1.jpg

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I actually prefer my GOG account to my Steam account these days. DRM free makes life easy. Pathetic rhymes aside, I like knowing that I own the game outright, not a license to run it, as is the case through Steam.

I've also found that GOG Galaxy is both comparable and better than Steam, since it allows me to sync up all my game clients and just run all the games I own and "own" through GOG Galaxy, regardless of where I bought them.

I sound like a shill, but I promise CD Projekt does not pay me.

So you're saying you're being paid under the table? :laugh::naughty:

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the game launchers in general. I like and dislike them at the same time. I like that I can find my games in one place. I dislike having to use the launcher for them. Or for the Klypso games needing to use 2 launchers.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So you're saying you're being paid under the table? :laugh::naughty:

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the game launchers in general. I like and dislike them at the same time. I like that I can find my games in one place. I dislike having to use the launcher for them. Or for the Klypso games needing to use 2 launchers.
This is the garbage that drew me to GOG in the first place. They didn't have a client at that time, they just had you download the game from the site and use the game's .exe file to launch, just like the old days. You can actually still do it that way for any games you buy these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad