OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I had used it previously by opting into the beta, but switched back (for a reason I don't remember). I'm surprised they pushed it live so soon though, given that not everything about it has the same functionality as previously.
I guess they wanted to model the themes after Discord. I'll get used to it sometime, but I will never be a fan.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Ladies and gentleman, Spiderman is legit. Took a little to get used to the combat, but once that clicked it is a blast. It's been a while since I've had this much fun playing a video game. Granted, I'm only a 4 or 5 hours in, we'll see if it lasts!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
A lot of new info dropped today on RDR2.

We Played 2 Hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 - Here's What Happened - IGN

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/20/79-amazing-little-details-in-red-dead-redemption-2

All I can say is, wow. This game looks like it's going to surpass any and all of my expectations. Some of the craziest things I picked out from their list:

16) If Arthur is covered in mud or blood the reaction you’ll get from those around you will be different than if he were clean.
17) Snow on Arthur’s clothing will eventually melt. Mud will harden and wipe away. Blood will dry.
36) Items can be purchased at general stores by walking around and picking them up off shelves, but there’s also a catalog here, too. The Sears & Roebuck-esque catalog sits on the counter, and you can zoom in on every article and full-page ad and read it. The gunsmith also has one of these, with hundreds of words written about every item.
41) Your choice of clothing has an impact on the game. You’ll need to wrap up warm when the temperature drops and shed layers when it gets unbearably hot.
47) NPCs all have individual facial animations, and the AI’s reactions to Arthur’s behavior will be more nuanced than the fight-or-flight mentality of GTA V’s pedestrians.
64) Snow indents and shapes dynamically around your and everyone else’s steps, including horses. Horses with larger legs and hooves will leave wider trails than skinnier-legged horses
65) Snow will accumulate naturally in places that have been trodden over. Snow will also fall off trees.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm on the hype train as well, but PS4 owners, if you haven't already you need to buy Spiderman. It's really good and will help pass the time until RDR is released.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'm on the hype train as well, but PS4 owners, if you haven't already you need to buy Spiderman. It's really good and will help pass the time until RDR is released.

This. Spiderman was really, really good. Fighting and movement in that game was very well made.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
AC: Odyssey is a really great game. Better than Origins, by far.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Hmm...interesting! I liked Origins a lot too...wasn't sure about getting this one since I've heard it was going to be pretty similar. Leaning towards picking it up now, but there are so many games coming out that I'll be getting. Probably wait for it to go on sale.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Hmm...interesting! I liked Origins a lot too...wasn't sure about getting this one since I've heard it was going to be pretty similar. Leaning towards picking it up now, but there are so many games coming out that I'll be getting. Probably wait for it to go on sale.

I like it more than Origins.

-Story seems more interesting
-You can choose either Kassandra or Alexios, which is fun
-Map is filled with activities
-Very few bugs and glitches
-Big game. I feel like you can sink +100 hours into this, easy.

Best AC so far, IMO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Has anyone played NHL 19? I skipped last year's version after NHL '17 was meh (it felt unfinished somehow). Any feedback would be nice.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Has anyone played NHL 19? I skipped last year's version after NHL '17 was meh (it felt unfinished somehow). Any feedback would be nice.

Yeah, I have it. It is pretty similar, but then again I end up getting the game every year regardless. It feels like it's faster maybe? Like controlling your player is a bit smoother than other years.

The new mode they have is 'World of Chel' or something like that where you can play EASHL, Online Threes, ProAm (just a pond hockey mode where you play your own character 3 on 3 vs. NHLers), etc. You can customize your character and stuff with items you unlock. If you play that mode your character wears jeans/sweatshirt like you would if you played outside

In those modes you used to unlock new stuff by leveling up but they got rid of that and you unlock stuff basically with random loot boxes now that you get from levelling up.

Idk. Like I said, I get it every year so I'm probably not a great judge on if someone should get it or not. I think it's fine. I still think they have a lot of work to do to freshen it up with some new material. But if you want to play franchise/be a pro it still gets the job done.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I used to get pretty into them, but I've hardly played them at all in the past few years. I've never truly gotten into any of the current-gen games, despite owning '16 and '17 I believe it is? For whatever reason, they just don't seem as fun to me. It's something about the skating mechanics, and how it started to feel bogged down because of the changes to character momentum.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I used to get pretty into them, but I've hardly played them at all in the past few years. I've never truly gotten into any of the current-gen games, despite owning '16 and '17 I believe it is? For whatever reason, they just don't seem as fun to me. It's something about the skating mechanics, and how it started to feel bogged down because of the changes to character momentum.
Yeah, I haven't gotten it since... 15 or 16, I think? Toews was on the cover IIRC.

Maybe I'll pick it up this year if I see it on Black Friday somewhere for cheap. I used to get it every year, but FIFA has become my "every year" sports game.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Yeah, I haven't gotten it since... 15 or 16, I think? Toews was on the cover IIRC.

Maybe I'll pick it up this year if I see it on Black Friday somewhere for cheap. I used to get it every year, but FIFA has become my "every year" sports game.
The Toews cover was NHL 16.
220px-NHL_16_cover.jpg

Couldn't hold back their pants bulge for the Hawks on that one. Only cover in EA NHL history that has a player skating with the Stanley Cup on it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The FIFA games are fun to play. I'm just not into the sport enough to care about the yearly roster updates; which seems the be the only reason to get any of these sport games.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I was bored and started playing through the first Wolfenstein game...played it Sunday and yesterday and got through it and now I had to order the New Colossus. I had heard about some of the crazy stories/cutscenes in the New Colossus and I tried to avoid most of them so I'm looking forward to what happens.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
RDR2 releases in about 58 hours.

I don't think I can make it, guys. So close but sooooo far away. :laugh:

Completely feel this. Spiderman was a great game ... first game I've actually completed in a long time. But it wasn't long enough to hold me over until RDR. Can't come quick enough, I wish I would have taken Friday off work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad