OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Tried playing Fortnite, not a fan. The building part of it is dumb.
Yeah that's essentially why I quit playing. Basically once it gets down to 5 or 6 people, it just turns into a game of everyone building a tower hoping that they'll be in the right spot when it restricts...

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah that's essentially why I quit playing. Basically once it gets down to 5 or 6 people, it just turns into a game of everyone building a tower hoping that they'll be in the right spot when it restricts...
That's my impression as well. I was watching some stream where it was 1v1, and they were just straight up building right next to each other for two minutes. I just can't get myself interested in the game, especially since I've played a ton of PUBG.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Thats the point though....

If you are wrong, you have to move. That exposes you and whoever has the high ground (just like in any real battle situation) is going to F you up. Tie in things like rocket launchers or grenades/launchers and you can knock people out of their towers fast. The whole concept is to make sure you are gathering resources so when it is the final countdown you are prepared to fortify yourself. I've watched people completely run out of material and just get pummeled by someone with a sniper rifle or rifle.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Fortnite's got me hooked.

I'll play it off and on between COD right now. I just got it on iOS so I can geek out here and there while traveling. That thing murders your battery. 15 minutes of gameplay and you're looking at about 20% of your battery toast.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Finally finished AC: Origins. Took a while to get hooked to the game, but it was a really good game. Can't wait for AC: Odyssey, Assassins Creed seems to be going to a Witcher-like direction, which is great.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Finally finished AC: Origins. Took a while to get hooked to the game, but it was a really good game. Can't wait for AC: Odyssey, Assassins Creed seems to be going to a Witcher-like direction, which is great.

I have like 73 hours in Origins right now and still haven’t finished all the DLC. I’m so excited for Odyssey it’s not even funny.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I played like 4 hours and still never got into it, after being a huge fan of most of the older games. I'll get there eventually, but it definitely hadn't hooked me yet.

State of Decay 2 on the other hand... love it.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I could never get into the AC games for some reason. Same with Fallout/ES. But I would spend endless streams of money for EVE and Conan subs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Anyone get into the Crash Bandicoot games back in the day? Just bought the trilogy for Switch, and CB1 is a lot harder than I remembered (only been playing that so far). I never fully played any of them, but I used to play at my cousin's back in the day, so I've played various levels of all of them. I love it though. Tough difficulty, but it looks and plays great. Fun games.

Also, @tomgilbertfan, I bought Lumines after seeing it in the digital store while browsing last night. $15 made it an easy choice. Only played about an hour so far, but it's definitely fun. I can't wait to hop in the puzzle mode, as well as trying out some local multiplayer.

The fact that the Switch is a handheld makes the system 1000x better. I have almost exclusively played it handheld lately.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Anyone get into the Crash Bandicoot games back in the day? Just bought the trilogy for Switch, and CB1 is a lot harder than I remembered (only been playing that so far). I never fully played any of them, but I used to play at my cousin's back in the day, so I've played various levels of all of them. I love it though. Tough difficulty, but it looks and plays great. Fun games.

Also, @tomgilbertfan, I bought Lumines after seeing it in the digital store while browsing last night. $15 made it an easy choice. Only played about an hour so far, but it's definitely fun. I can't wait to hop in the puzzle mode, as well as trying out some local multiplayer.

The fact that the Switch is a handheld makes the system 1000x better. I have almost exclusively played it handheld lately.

So many things that could be said to this statement. :eek:

The wife likes the Crash games, but is really bad at all of them.

Reactions: Wild11MN

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what, but my interest in a lot of these new games the last few years has been almost none. The new RDR looks promising and I'll always be a sucker for BF games. Or I'm turning into one of those Geico commercial adults where they turn into their parents.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what, but my interest in a lot of these new games the last few years has been almost none. The new RDR looks promising and I'll always be a sucker for BF games. Or I'm turning into one of those Geico commercial adults where they turn into their parents.

I don't have much interest in most new games either. I didn't get into the FPS games on the consoles. I played way too much of the Delta Force games on PC: Delta Force 2 is my favorite FPS game of all time.

There is only 1 game that I'm really waiting for to come out, and it's only in pre-alpha testing phase right now: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen I'm an MMORPG guy that's been looking for a game since EQ2 went to garbage (turned into a less cartoony WoW).

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
My cousin had the Crash games on PS4 for our yearly vacation up north a couple weeks ago...was a ton of fun going through them all again remembering some of the levels. I feel like you're right though - the first one was really difficult and they got a little easier after that. Third one was probably the easiest of the three...but had so much additional content you could try to get with the gems and the time trials. I remember back when it first came out my family would all play..trying to get the absolute lowest time we could on the time trial for the racing tiger level.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I play much less than I used to as well, specifically multiplayer games (other than PUBG). I used to play the Halo games religiously, along with a few other FPS games. There are still games I get into big time, but the number of those has dropped significantly the past few years.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
My cousin had the Crash games on PS4 for our yearly vacation up north a couple weeks ago...was a ton of fun going through them all again remembering some of the levels. I feel like you're right though - the first one was really difficult and they got a little easier after that. Third one was probably the easiest of the three...but had so much additional content you could try to get with the gems and the time trials. I remember back when it first came out my family would all play..trying to get the absolute lowest time we could on the time trial for the racing tiger level.
There's a lot of replayability depending on how you want to play. Getting all the boxes on some of these levels is really tough. Even a few time trials on easy levels are hard. You can get a ton of play time out of them, which is another reason I love those games.

Oh, and I love the chase/riding levels as well.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
My 13 year old was bugging me to play Assassin's Creed Origins. Finally played it last week and I'm hooked but I am feeling sleep deprived.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
It's a really good game...they did a nice job at making a cool world that's fun to explore and run around in. Sometimes I was a little overwhelmed with the amount of things you could do on the side, and even now I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I missed after beating it.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Was thinking of buying Nier Automata now that it was released on Xbox. Anyone played it? Heard a lot of good things, but some not so great things too.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I am not liking the new steam update that changed how the tabs are shown.
I had used it previously by opting into the beta, but switched back (for a reason I don't remember). I'm surprised they pushed it live so soon though, given that not everything about it has the same functionality as previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad