OT: General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
So you want what, 3 or 4 events per year and that's it? And leave the other fights to Strikeforce and Bellator? Give title shots to fighters after only one fight in the UFC?

I really don't see what's the problem with "too many events". You sound like a hockey fan who believe there's too many games. Let's go back to a 6 teams league with a 48 games calendar, right?

They could easily just have 1 show every 4 weeks or 6 weeks if they cut the marginal fighters and offer better cards than the ones they've been offering the UFC fans in the last year or so. But they're a company, and companies have only one goal: make money. So as long that the demand is still strong for a UFC event and arenas are sold out everywhere around the globe they couldn't careless to put on better fight cards. And I agree with RaMMuT that those are some pretty good cards coming up barring any injuries.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So you want what, 3 or 4 events per year and that's it? And leave the other fights to Strikeforce and Bellator? Give title shots to fighters after only one fight in the UFC?

I really don't see what's the problem with "too many events". You sound like a hockey fan who believe there's too many games. Let's go back to a 6 teams league with a 48 games calendar, right?

The UFC has enough talent to have hold solid PPV events once a month and make a bigger one on NYE.
In 07 you had GSP vs Hughes, Silva vs Liddell, Sokoudjou vs Machida, and then average fighters like Guillard, Clementi and Sanchez (7-1 at the time).
IN 08, Griffin vs Evens (Championship belt), Silva vs Rampage, Nog vs Mir..

But as I said, I was a Pride fan for different reasons, but when they made their big NYE events they had Nog vs Barnett, Gomi vs Ishida, Emalianenko vs Hunt, Aoki vs Hansen, Melendez vs Kawajiri. All this under one event!
The year before, Arona vs Silva, Crocop vs Hunt, Gomi vs Sakurai, Henderson vs Bustamente, Zuluzinho vs Fedor..
I mean, talk about stacked cards. That didn't prevent them from holding up events every other month of the year, and they didn't have close to the talent the UFC now holds.

Not sure how you think putting less events and more stacked PPVs will translate into giving title bouts to fighters after one fight.
Actually, I criticized Dana White for turning some fighters into contenders via marketing more so than merit.

As for your hockey reference, that's ridiculous. There's a reason why they play 82 games today as opposed to 40ish back then. There's more teams, and there's enough talent in the league to warrant such number of teams/games. The parity is undeniable.
In the UFC, a lot of the fighters wouldn't have contracts if White didn't force his expansion. He wants to hold all these events, therefore, more average talent will be signed.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Any prediction for GSP?

Honestly, I'm a big fan, but I think he's going to lose that one.

Missing so much time has its toll, especially in a high-octane sport like MMA. And athletism is a big part of GSP toolbox.

Condit isn't some moran from god knows where, he's been around, won a lot, has tons of experience, and will be highly, highly motivated in securing his belt.

I really don't like being pessimistic, but I simply wouldn't bet on GSP big comeback.

I don't think Condit has much of a chance.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
The UFC has enough talent to have hold solid PPV events once a month and make a bigger one on NYE.
In 07 you had GSP vs Hughes, Silva vs Liddell, Sokoudjou vs Machida, and then average fighters like Guillard, Clementi and Sanchez (7-1 at the time).
IN 08, Griffin vs Evens (Championship belt), Silva vs Rampage, Nog vs Mir..

But as I said, I was a Pride fan for different reasons, but when they made their big NYE events they had Nog vs Barnett, Gomi vs Ishida, Emalianenko vs Hunt, Aoki vs Hansen, Melendez vs Kawajiri. All this under one event!
The year before, Arona vs Silva, Crocop vs Hunt, Gomi vs Sakurai, Henderson vs Bustamente, Zuluzinho vs Fedor..
I mean, talk about stacked cards. That didn't prevent them from holding up events every other month of the year, and they didn't have close to the talent the UFC now holds.

Not sure how you think putting less events and more stacked PPVs will translate into giving title bouts to fighters after one fight.
Actually, I criticized Dana White for turning some fighters into contenders via marketing more so than merit.

As for your hockey reference, that's ridiculous. There's a reason why they play 82 games today as opposed to 40ish back then. There's more teams, and there's enough talent in the league to warrant such number of teams/games. The parity is undeniable.
In the UFC, a lot of the fighters wouldn't have contracts if White didn't force his expansion. He wants to hold all these events, therefore, more average talent will be signed.

I kind of agree a bit, although I find the cards exciting even still. I'm a mma fan. Not every fight needs to be a title shot or contender fight. I love watching the new up and comers grow into contenders.

Also, I think it would be a terrible strategy with all the training related injuries for Dana to put most of his eggs in one basket, 3 or 4 guys get hurt and then suddenly the card is shot anyway. IMO, your concerns are valid, but way overblown.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I kind of agree a bit, although I find the cards exciting even still. I'm a mma fan. Not every fight needs to be a title shot or contender fight. I love watching the new up and comers grow into contenders.

Also, I think it would be a terrible strategy with all the training related injuries for Dana to put most of his eggs in one basket, 3 or 4 guys get hurt and then suddenly the card is shot anyway. IMO, your concerns are valid, but way overblown.

Well, the opposite is true. Dana White had to cancel UFC 151 once Henderson got injured (and Jones refused to fight Sonnen on short notice) because the card was so thin.
And that's where Dana White really shows his true colors (not that it was tough to see them). He will then blame Jones and his coach Greg Jackson for the cancellation of the PPV, because they refused the Sonnen fight. But all Jackson actually did, being the good coach that he is, is give his athlete a very poised and smart advice. Sonnen comes in after losing to A.Silva, gets a title shot, has absolutely nothing to lose. Jones, who prepared for a different fighter, puts everything on the line, for what?
It's not his fault the UFC made the card so thin that the other fights attract very little attention. White however, pissed because Jones refused and so won't make as much cash, called him out on it.

Keep in mind, more events also mean more difficulty finding replacement fighters for PPVs as they're busy fighting in the other events.

If you stack a card with 2 or 3 big fights (title or contender, or at the very least big marketable names) then if you need to cancel one of them, the show can go on. You have to be extremely unlucky to see three of big fights canceled because at least 3 fighters fighting in them got injured.

With the talent the UFC holds, Dana White could just do a PPV per month, with his show TUF, and have great cards. But he doesn't want that, he wants the mainstream and more cash, so Versus needs one, so does FX and Fox.

There's a lot more chances of a card being canceled when you only have one good fight on it, as opposed to 3.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Well, the opposite is true. Dana White had to cancel UFC 151 once Henderson got injured (and Jones refused to fight Sonnen on short notice) because the card was so thin.
And that's where Dana White really shows his true colors (not that it was tough to see them). He will then blame Jones and his coach Greg Jackson for the cancellation of the PPV, because they refused the Sonnen fight. But all Jackson actually did, being the good coach that he is, is give his athlete a very poised and smart advice. Sonnen comes in after losing to A.Silva, gets a title shot, has absolutely nothing to lose. Jones, who prepared for a different fighter, puts everything on the line, for what?
It's not his fault the UFC made the card so thin that the other fights attract very little attention. White however, pissed because Jones refused and so won't make as much cash, called him out on it.

Keep in mind, more events also mean more difficulty finding replacement fighters for PPVs as they're busy fighting in the other events.

If you stack a card with 2 or 3 big fights (title or contender, or at the very least big marketable names) then if you need to cancel one of them, the show can go on. You have to be extremely unlucky to see three of big fights canceled because at least 3 fighters fighting in them got injured.

With the talent the UFC holds, Dana White could just do a PPV per month, with his show TUF, and have great cards. But he doesn't want that, he wants the mainstream and more cash, so Versus needs one, so does FX and Fox.

There's a lot more chances of a card being canceled when you only have one good fight on it, as opposed to 3.

True, Dana acted like a complete ****** with all the mouth flapping and finger pointing at Jones. I was kind of disappointed that Jones refused Sonnen, mainly because I truly didn't feel Sonnen posed much of a threat, but to be fair, he may have had an outside shot against a fighter who prepared for someone completely different.

Dana was worried about the cash, not the fans, not Sonnen and certainly not Jones. The more he talked, the more I respected Jones' decision. White was way over the line dogging his number 1 talent the way he did. Really bush league.

I like my UFC's twice a month, call me selfish, call me whatever, I don't enjoy waiting 3 months for a ppv. Where we do agree is that tuf is basically done, it's already been done imo.

BTW: I went to school with Ryan the real Jimmo. He was a decent guy back then and although I don't think he has the skills to be a legitimate contender, it was still very exciting to see his 7 second knockout.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
True, Dana acted like a complete ****** with all the mouth flapping and finger pointing at Jones. I was kind of disappointed that Jones refused Sonnen, mainly because I truly didn't feel Sonnen posed much of a threat, but to be fair, he may have had an outside shot against a fighter who prepared for someone completely different.

Dana was worried about the cash, not the fans, not Sonnen and certainly not Jones. The more he talked, the more I respected Jones' decision. White was way over the line dogging his number 1 talent the way he did. Really bush league.

I like my UFC's twice a month, call me selfish, call me whatever, I don't enjoy waiting 3 months for a ppv. Where we do agree is that tuf is basically done, it's already been done imo.

BTW: I went to school with Ryan the real Jimmo. He was a decent guy back then and although I don't think he has the skills to be a legitimate contender, it was still very exciting to see his 7 second knockout.

You have every right to want your UFC twice a month or even more. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just discussing that I feel it made the UFC less special, and there's a lot more average talent. I know I'm not alone feeling that way, a lot of my friends, that have been following pretty much from UFC 1 feel the same as I do.
There is no right or wrong though, more of an observation.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
how much is this going to be on Pap Per View (Bell fibe)?

do most bars charge cover, like Champs, Station Sport, PJ's ?

Debating with a few friends to either do PPV or go see it at a bar. None of us our avid UFC fans but seeing how no hockey and it's GSP local fight, we're a bit in the mood.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

Debating with a few friends to either do PPV or go see it at a bar. None of us our avid UFC fans but seeing how no hockey and it's GSP local fight, we're a bit in the mood.
i know personally im doing Cage Au Sport tonight,normally for big boxing fights we do PPV and order lots of food,buy beer,alchool and have a good time its always fun with friends but for tonight its GSP's comeback and against Condit wich is also one of my favorite fighters.It may not be the habs in the playoffs but i can guarantee u its gonna be close to that,bars are gonna be full and the ambiance will be amazing.My personal opinion i would do a bar tonight and no theres no covers

gunners14henry

Jan 29, 2012
Montreal

I went to the Skratch in Laval last time GSP fought and was only charged 5$. Atmosphere was better than expected. Was actually surprised as to how cheap it was to get in.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I just called Champs and PJ's pub... completely full for tonight unless I show up before 7pm

I'm not home now so i can't check , do you know how much it is for the pay per view?

gunners14henry

Jan 29, 2012
Montreal
I just called Champs and PJ's pub... completely full for tonight unless I show up before 7pm

I'm not home now so i can't check , do you know how much it is for the pay per view?

PPV is $59.99 but I know that on the Xbox they were offering 30% off. Don't know if that deal is still available.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Don't want to hijack the thread but wow Carl Froch just destroyed Mack. Forget about any rematch vs Bute any time soon...or ever.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Don't want to hijack the thread but wow Carl Froch just destroyed Mack. Forget about any rematch vs Bute any time soon...or ever.

Bute will never be in the category of a froch - or andre ward. not. going. to. happen.
and i like bute

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Just realized UFC made a Quebec version of their website with french article and videos, great of them to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad