OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't know if it's real, but Ben Askren said GSP don't want to fight KO artists at this point of his career because he wants to leave the game without any brain injury. He said that's why GSP is dodging Woodley.

Maybe but CM is considered that isn't he and GSP wasn't worried whatsoever.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Ali(Khabib's manager) is getting annoying. Claims Khabib deserves 50-100 million dollar payday next fight.

So much for 'I'm not in it for the money, but for the legacy'

Get your money's worth but 50-100 mil isn't your worth.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ali(Khabib's manager) is getting annoying. Claims Khabib deserves 50-100 million dollar payday next fight.

Well to be fair, managers have shown to be greedy before, it isn't necessarily coming from Khabib.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well to be fair, managers have shown to be greedy before, it isn't necessarily coming from Khabib.

I agree 100% but it's reflecting bad on Khabib.

I mean...if say Matthews agent asks for maximum contract we can say it's his agent but he represents the guy anyway.

So my guess is Khabib isn't clueless about it but I do think this whole thing may be all based on principle.

Khabib refuses to show up for his NSAC hearing and said "keep the money" but his agent is asking for a payday.

My guess is Khabib and his management didn't like how things went down and are trying to stick to the UFC. They're refusing to fight Ferguson, they're refusing to go to hearings, they're asking for top dollar, talking about Mayweather, etc...

Seems like Khabib's team are looking for same privileges Conor got but I think if they keep this charade up it may end up more ridiculous than good.

Artem Lobov spoke his mind recently and said the way it went down with Khabib was that an interviewer asked him what he thought of Khabib calling Conor a chicken. Artem Lobov responded by saying something similar about Khabib and that Khabib is the one who often doesn't make it to the fight and pulls out. This is why Khabib cornered him, seems a little ridiculous IMO but judging from all this Khabib and his team seem like pretty unforgiving group whether or not it makes sense.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Maybe but CM is considered that isn't he and GSP wasn't worried whatsoever.
I think the difference is that GSP could easily out wrestle Conor. So there's a clear path to victory. I think GSP is probably a better wrestler than Woodley, but Woodley would still be much harder to take and hold down than Conor. Plus he probably hits harder than Conor.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

There are nuances to be found obviously but I'm actually glad more fighters are starting to be vocal about their pay. I've been wanting to see them get a bigger share of the profits for years now and there's finally starting to be a movement towards that.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There are nuances to be found obviously but I'm actually glad more fighters are starting to be vocal about their pay. I've been wanting to see them get a bigger share of the profits for years now and there's finally starting to be a movement towards that.
The promotion helps to make the show more enjoyable (most of the time) for fans and deserve their fair share, but the fighters are the ones putting their health and safety on the line. They should be making the majority of the money.

I just wish there was a little bit more of the old school fighter mentality of fighting whoever is put in front of them. Part of that is on the UFC, though. There should be a clearer path to fighting for the title. But the UFC has let guys jump the line or given other guys more favorable match ups to make them stars.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I just wish there was a little bit more of the old school fighter mentality of fighting whoever is put in front of them. Part of that is on the UFC, though. There should be a clearer path to fighting for the title. But the UFC has let guys jump the line or given other guys more favorable match ups to make them stars.
It's clear the belts don't mean much anymore, any move towards a more old school approach would have to start by giving them some value again. A few tournaments would do the trick but Dana isn't a big fan of those sadly.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So after all the talk about if DC wants to fight Jones again Jones has said his 2 cents.

Said DC can fight a contender and earn a shot because he won't give him a title shot if he beats Gus. Says he already beat him twice.
When asked if he'd fight DC at heavyweight instead(a chance to get both belts) he says he doesn't want to give DC all the cards by moving up and is not interested right now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's clear the belts don't mean much anymore, any move towards a more old school approach would have to start by giving them some value again. A few tournaments would do the trick but Dana isn't a big fan of those sadly.
I think there is still some value in the real belt. Interim belts mean absolutely nothing now, though. It's just another way to have a 'championship' fight on a PPV when the UFC can't pull something else together. I have a lot of thoughts about that, but I'll spare everybody.

Man I can't stand Jones

I've never liked Jones. Resect the talent. Want to watch him fight. But don't like him. I wish he would have gone full heel a long time ago, though. I hate when guys pretend to be someone they aren't. Just be the arrogant, wild, drug taking, partying, asshole SOB you really are, Jon.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I
I think there is still some value in the real belt. Interim belts mean absolutely nothing now, though. It's just another way to have a 'championship' fight on a PPV when the UFC can't pull something else together. I have a lot of thoughts about that, but I'll spare everybody.

I've never liked Jones. Resect the talent. Want to watch him fight. But don't like him. I wish he would have gone full heel a long time ago, though. I hate when guys pretend to be someone they aren't. Just be the arrogant, wild, drug taking, partying, ******* SOB you really are, Jon.

I agree heal is better than fake humble. But I can't stand him. I wish him nothing good.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Brunson is a crafty vet. If Adesanya can beat him decisively tonight he'll make a strong case for a top 3 opponent for his next fight. It's only a matter of time , that dude has legit striking skills.
Edit: Well, this takes care of that !

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Jacare really has fallen in love with the stand up game in his last few fights. I'm not so sure that's a good strategy.
Edit: As long as he's winning I guess it works .

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
DC is just way too good at grappling. He can do this all day. You better have amazing takedown defense if you want to even stand a chance .

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Dc is a natural heavyweight.

He's planning to defend vs Lesnar but if he wanted to defend again he'll tie Stipe's defense record with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad