OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
For Herb on Lawler, I disagree. He made the right call. RL was out. You do not have an arm drop and go limp like that unless you're out, or on your way at least.
What I think happened is RL was out, Dean went down to check and slapped his arm, sometimes doing that gives a bit of a wake up call, like a slap in the face, which woke RL up a bit and Askren let go because Dean had stopped the fight so RL looked like he wasn't out.
But I dont believe for one second RL didnt go out at all. You dont have an arm go limp like this during a choke hold for no reason.
Considering how dangerous a choke can be, you dont take a gamble on it.
Everyone who watched the fight where I was thought he was out. Rogan and announcers thought so too. Cant fault Herb here at all.

The announcers later said Askren never had a choke, only a hold. Lawler said the same. Dana white said the same.

He didn't look out to me honestly. His hand was down but still moving.

Look at 3:24

I think the 'he woke him up' argument is odd since Askren never had a choke to begin with but even so. If the guy is now awake and responded why would you stop the fight?

Askren never had the choke, only a hold.
Guy even gave a thumps up!

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The announcers later said Askren never had a choke, only a hold. Lawler said the same. Dana white said the same.

I think the 'he woke him up' argument is odd since Askren never had a choke to begin with but even so. If the guy is now awake and responded why would you stop the fight?

Rogan definitely thought he was out. It wasn't until Cruz convinced him otherwise that he changed his view. Looked clear as day in real time that his arm went limp. Herb Dean even got down and grabbed it along with asking for any sort of indication Robbie was OK and never received any indication he had his wits about him.

Was a bit unfortunate, but like I give a shit what Dana says about it. His eyes aren't any better than my own. The guy holds grudges and publicly humiliates his own roster all the time. He's had a clear bias against Askren, valuing his opinion on this doesn't make sense to me. I don't know a single person who watched the fight live who didn't think Robbie was out.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Rogan definitely thought he was out. It wasn't until Cruz convinced him otherwise that he changed his view. Looked clear as day in real time that his arm went limp. Herb Dean even got down and grabbed it along with asking for any sort of indication Robbie was OK and never received any indication he had his wits about him.

Was a bit unfortunate, but like I give a **** what Dana says about it. His eyes aren't any better than my own. The guy holds grudges and publicly humiliates his own roster all the time. He's had a clear bias against Askren, valuing his opinion on this doesn't make sense to me. I don't know a single person who watched the fight live who didn't think Robbie was out.

We didn’t think he was out because of angle. Then they showed other ones and it didn’t look like it anymore.

Askren went from being “im surprised” to “I definitely had him out” with a touch of “Usman did nothing. It wasn’t a good performance”

So you’re just like okay...bias present.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think looking at a framed slow motion video is a bit silly.

Use real time footage as this is what the ref has, real time, not some slowmo video analysis. Also, if he is out and Herb Dean lets it go longer, it can do some damage. He isn't sitting on his couch, bed, or chair at home watching the replay a hundred times and looking at analysis.

To say he didn't look out is, no offense, BS. I don't believe you at all man. I don't think you're a liar, but I don't think when you're seeing this live you're thinking ''it's just a hold!!''.

The announcers thought he was out, they were screaming it, and then they saw him pop out and said oh nooo...he wasn't out.

Lawler wasn't responding btw, hence the stoppage. Herb talked to him, got no response, then slapped his arm and he felt it limp, so he stopped it.
The guy looked out. He looked out from my couch here in Hong Kong, and he looked out to the guy that was about a foot away.

You can say it was an early stoppage, but I don't blame Herb.

Lawler isn't making a big deal out of it, so, maybe that's because he was actually out?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well that only proves my point they aren’t same weight. Nothing wrong with that, Smith chose to go to 205. He had tough cut to 185 apparently. He’s probably a 195er if they ever make that division.
Euh...having longer arms doesn't mean you're heavier.
They were the same weight at the weigh ins and JJ still looked bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad