Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2021-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fiala was 8th in scoring among LW last year.
Over the past three years he was 9th in scoring among LW's. Pretty amazing consistency, considering the crap he had to play with, for the most part.

He did not have 3 good months, He had three GREAT months, and three very good years. He is one of the very top LW's in the game, and has been for years.

It's no shame to say that he is not as good as Kaprizov, who is, IMO, on of the top 10 forwards in the league, in the tier just below McD, Mathews, Mackinnon, and maybe Drai... I'm probably forgetting someone else, but you get my point. Saying that Fiala isn't as good as Kaprizov is like saying I'm not as smart as @Bazeek .

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala was 8th in scoring among LW last year.
Over the past three years he was 9th in scoring among LW's. Pretty amazing consistency, considering the crap he had to play with, for the most part.

He did not have 3 good months, He had three GREAT months, and three very good years. He is one of the very top LW's in the game, and has been for years.

It's no shame to say that he is not as good as Kaprizov, who is, IMO, on of the top 10 forwards in the league, in the tier just below McD, Mathews, Mackinnon, and maybe Drai... I'm probably forgetting someone else, but you get my point. Saying that Fiala isn't as good as Kaprizov is like saying I'm not as smart as @Bazeek .
Not as arrogant, anyway.

But yeah, there seem to be two different debates on Fiala:
1.) Is he really a 1st line, 30g+/75p+ winger? I think he is. Wild management seem/seemed less convinced.
2.) Even if he is a 1st line winger, can/should we really afford him? Probably up for debate depending on what one thinks the team's priorities should be.

Just seems like there are a lot of unnecessarily tortured arguments around #1 that are really trying to justify #2. I expect it from fans, but having the GM roll it out while the main beat writer backs him up is gross.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not as arrogant, anyway.

But yeah, there seem to be two different debates on Fiala:
1.) Is he really a 1st line, 30g+/75p+ winger? I think he is. Wild management seem/seemed less convinced.
2.) Even if he is a 1st line winger, can/should we really afford him? Probably up for debate depending on what one thinks the team's priorities should be.

Just seems like there are a lot of unnecessarily tortured arguments around #1 that are really trying to justify #2. I expect it from fans, but having the GM roll it out while the main beat writer backs him up is gross.
It is less likely to build a cup contender with money primarily spent on wingers rather than centers, so I can understand that argument at least. That said, we've been looking for that center for years and have come up empty. Typically a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It is less likely to build a cup contender with money primarily spent on wingers rather than centers, so I can understand that argument at least. That said, we've been looking for that center for years and have come up empty. Typically a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.
More or less, yeah. And (trying to drag this back on topic) I'd have more confidence if it seemed like we were building a prospect pool that addressed the team's longstanding issues: a lack of centers and high-end talent. Instead what I'm seeing is a (maybe?) better version of what we had ~2010-2011 when our prospect pool was being held up as one of the better ones in the league.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
More or less, yeah. And (trying to drag this back on topic) I'd have more confidence if it seemed like we were building a prospect pool that addressed the team's longstanding issues: a lack of centers and high-end talent. Instead what I'm seeing is a (maybe?) better version of what we had ~2010-2011 when our prospect pool was being held up as one of the better ones in the league.
I think that also depends on how they do this draft. If they get some forwards with skill, I feel pet good about our prospect pool.

I mean, high end skill.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think that also depends on how they do this draft. If they get some forwards with skill, I feel pet good about our prospect pool.

I mean, high end skill.
It's not impossible, but playing the probabilities based on where our picks are it's unlikely.

More realistically our best bet to inject that sort of talent is by stumbling in the standings once or twice over the next 3 years. Which is why I wonder where management's head is actually at going forward, regardless of what they say publicly.

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
It's not impossible, but playing the probabilities based on where our picks are it's unlikely.

More realistically our best bet to inject that sort of talent is by stumbling in the standings once or twice over the next 3 years. Which is why I wonder where management's head is actually at going forward, regardless of what they say publicly.
It would suck is Kap was stuck in Russia but it sure wouldn’t hurt to have a top 5 pick.

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
The only upside to something like that happening is that it'd remove any middle-ground for this team next year. It'd be ugly, though.
Oh no doubt! It would be almost impossible to watch but would fast track our #1 center issue.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Good question because I doubt the CBA spells this one out very well.
Spells it out just fine. If he can't report, Wild can suspend him and toll his contract.

With it being possible legal issues, they'd have the right to terminate, not that they would.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Wow if you would have told me ohgren and yurov I probably would not have said it couldn't be true. but here we are.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Attachments

• giphy panda.gif
    giphy panda.gif
    208.7 KB · Views: 1

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Considering we have NO (MN drafted) 1st rounders on the team from 2007,08,09,10,13,14,16,17,18 I love our pool/team! Probably not too many teams can say that. (And I didn’t even go back further like 06, 05,04. Truly amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille